Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if this question fits in here, but I'm also not sure where else to post it (I don't think it deserves a seperate thread). Feel free to redirect me if it isn't fit here.

I have a regen who I'm going to play as a Target Man on Attack. On loan however, the loaning team has teached him the trait "Plays with back to Goal". Now it's true that that Target Man on Attack isn't fast by any means, and likely will not do much on through balls playing as a TM(A). However... I'm not willing to change my tactic to have him play as a TM(S) for the simple reason my secondary forwards are all fit for CF(S) and aren't the very best goal scorers.

1. How badly does this trait conflict with the role of a Target Man on attack?
  2. I assume this question is pretty much rhetorical, but is it possible to get rid of that trait even though it's in se a perfect fit for a not-so-fast Target Man?
  3. Can anything be done to stop clubs loaning in players and teaching them unfavourable traits for my tactic?
  4. Any other suggestions?

Player in question:

image.thumb.png.1bcf069658dff14b661ae4f310457236.png

On 02/10/2020 at 05:48, zlatanera said:

Depends on how much you lean on them. Personally, unless I get one with 20 Motivating to do team talks, my assistant is on Tunnel Interviews and nothing else. I mute all advice. But if you want advice that might be helpful, as well as their overall quality I'd make sure their tendencies are close to yours. For example if your custom playing style includes a high press I wouldn't have an assistant whose Pressing Style is Less Urgent, and if I generally used Play Out Of Defence then I wouldn't defer to an assistant whose Passing Style is Long (but might with one who is Direct if I was also using Shorter Passing as standard as he might tell me when to switch it up and kill a team). That's personal preferences though, hope at least showing my logic is helpful.

The Gets Forward Whenever Possible trait can help out here in encouraging a play on a lower duty to, well, Get Forward. Depending on the team mentality you're using the Full Back / Wing Back on Automatic duty might also be useful as they have 0 and 1 (2?) PIs hard-selected, respectively, so could be customised to get forward, but not to dribble more (perhaps even to dribble less). But make sure to check their individual mentality as it changes more drastically with team mentality than others. 

Learning a new PPM sounds good. Howewer, there's 2 problem, when my fullbacks are older and hardly learn something new, or when I need to play defensive to protect my leads. Because it's permanent, not adjustable.

With automatic duty, if I were using back 3 in counter attacking, will they also made frequent overlaps? This one seems more plausible 

Thanks a lot for your tought!

19 hours ago, Bunkerossian said:

Are there any guides on effects of Shouts on the mental state and actions of players?

This is the closest I can think of and in the pinned thread that lists all the guides : 

9 hours ago, Hanan96 said:

Learning a new PPM sounds good. Howewer, there's 2 problem, when my fullbacks are older and hardly learn something new, or when I need to play defensive to protect my leads. Because it's permanent, not adjustable.

With automatic duty, if I were using back 3 in counter attacking, will they also made frequent overlaps? This one seems more plausible 

Thanks a lot for your tought!

That seems like more of an overall tactic question than one I can just answer for you straight up. As I said, if you use the Automatic duty, you need to go into the Player Instructions screen and check out their individual mentality as it changes more drastically based on team mentality than any other roles. 

How do you handle the size of your 2nd team? Do you aim to sign players to keep all positions full? Do you sign low potential players if the 2nd squad is small?

Usually, after youth intake I only sign 4 stars or more potential players. But this way my second team sometimes end up very small. 

30 minutes ago, bielsadidnothingwrong said:

what is the best method for developing mentals like concentration, anticipation, or teamwork especially in young players?

Mental attributes naturally develop with time, albeit slower than physical ones. But if you want to boost their development as much as possible, I would logically assume you should use more team training sessions that target these mental attributes (basically tactical-related training) as well as individual training with the additional focus set to areas that also target those attributes.

I play on cautious mentality and I set my team instructions to "much shorter passing". If I then in personal instructions ask my defenders to "pass it shorter" they will pass it even shorter? What I am trying to ask, is do the "much shorter passing" TI stack with "pass it shorter"" PI?

I wanna ask about Flair, we all know it's about pulling off the unpredictable but how is that reflected in the game?

Like, will a high Flair player go against your TI's to try a long shot shot or pass or is it the tricks you see in game. I have this guy who has the Tries Tricks PPI & he'll pull of rabonas & stuff so is it more for things like that & overhead kicks? 

8 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

I wanna ask about Flair, we all know it's about pulling off the unpredictable but how is that reflected in the game?

Like, will a high Flair player go against your TI's to try a long shot shot or pass or is it the tricks you see in game. I have this guy who has the Tries Tricks PPI & he'll pull of rabonas & stuff so is it more for things like that & overhead kicks? 

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Miraculix:

I play on cautious mentality and I set my team instructions to "much shorter passing". If I then in personal instructions ask my defenders to "pass it shorter" they will pass it even shorter? What I am trying to ask, is do the "much shorter passing" TI stack with "pass it shorter"" PI?

In that case, no. There is a limit to short passing. And if they can't pass it short they will kick it long.

I see that you can give a Wing Back (S) the PI of 'Cross Less Often' OR 'Cross More Often', whereas you can only give a Complete Wing Back (S) the PI of 'Cross More Often'. 

Even though its not a hard coded PI for CWB (S), will a Complete Wing Back (S) cross more often than a Wing Back (S)? Assuming no crossing frequency PIs are selected.

Lets say I have Player A and player B are set to swap positions. At the onset of this decision, Player A doesn't have any positional or role familiarity with Player B's position - my question here is then, will Player A get this from game time or will he need to be trained specifically in the position? I have a feeling it isn't split at all but this is my first time with this particular swapping set up.

What's the big difference between an AP and a AM and how do they play with attacking or supporting roles together behind a forward?

Same question about the defensive midfielders: one runner and one creator, which is the best combination?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, sejo said:

What's the big difference between an AP and a AM

The key difference is obvious - AP is a playmaker and hence a ball-magnet, whereas AM is not. Another difference is that the AP is hard-coded to take more passing risks. 

2 hours ago, sejo said:

how do they play with attacking or supporting roles together behind a forward?

Same question about the defensive midfielders: one runner and one creator, which is the best combination?

Proper answers to these two questions cannot be given without knowing the whole context of a given tactic, which means that you'll need to start a separate thread if you want to discuss it. 

On top of that, there is no such thing as "the best combination" in FM nor in RL football/soccer. 

I haven't started a thread on this because, at present, the tactic is just a theory. I want a CM pairing of a BBM and a BWM. What would be the best role to have in the DMC position? I understand that both the BBM and BWM are very 'mobile' players, so the DM will need to be 'static'. 

57 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I understand that both the BBM and BWM are very 'mobile' players, so the DM will need to be 'static'.

I wouldn't say that BWM is "very mobile". It has a lower starting position than, for example, CM-Su or CAR, which indicates it's fairly defensive in its nature. BWM also can't be instructed to Roam From Position, which I interpret as it being a disciplined role.

BWM used to benefit from holding roles more in previous iterations, when it had Close Down Much More locked in, which means it used to stray from its position very regularly. Nowadays, it's Pressing Intensity is Standard (unless increased in Team Instructions), so it's far less risky in that sense.

When I personally use a BWM in central midfield (to cover for aggressive WB, for example), I like to give my DM more freedom. Regista or DM-Su are my favorites.

It depends on the narrowness of the opposition defence. The 2D view is really great for making the spotting of this obvious. Against a really tight narrow defence I often use the instruction to play wider in attack to force a full back out to meet a player on the wing who has the ball near the touchline, which then creates a space infield.

Maybe I'm being very blind, but I can't find the strength of a players weaker foot anywhere (using standard skin). I can see this information if I compare two players under the Positions and Roles tab (given me the relative strength of both feet) but on a players own profile I can only see the preferred foot on the player profile. Any ideas where I should be looking? Thank you.

16 minutes ago, brookie1402 said:

I think it is on the Tactics panel in the Development tab - the view which has the pitch and how well suited he is to each position.

Awesome, thank you. Still a bit buried away and a couple of clicks from the profile page, but at least I don't have to load up a comparison to another player.

I have little tactical knowledge in FM but from a real life point of view, and I know it sounds like a cop out, but I'd say it depends on your tactical set up. It's a players ability to stop and change direction, so for low block, narrow defences with little space, I'd say it isn't too important as all the 'defending' should be in front of your back line. But defending on the half way line and being vulnerable to balls over the top, then I'd say it's a little more important given players have to turn and sprint back. May be useful for players who find themselves 1v1. Imagine a full back having to twist and turn to defend against a tricky winger for example.

14 hours ago, brookie1402 said:

It depends on the narrowness of the opposition defence. The 2D view is really great for making the spotting of this obvious. Against a really tight narrow defence I often use the instruction to play wider in attack to force a full back out to meet a player on the wing who has the ball near the touchline, which then creates a space infield.

Yes but wouldn't that happen regardless anyway because wingers are already instructed to stay wide? Which is sort of my point

Edited by aderow

12 hours ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

Dunno if this counts;

How important is "Agility" in general? For defenders in particular?

Is low agility basically like the Boumsong of defenders?

I place a very high importance on agility when it comes to wide midfielders (cutting inside) and forwards. Haven't thought about it for defenders much, but changing direction quickly could be helpful for them too.

16 hours ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

Dunno if this counts;

How important is "Agility" in general? For defenders in particular?

Is low agility basically like the Boumsong of defenders?

Agility is the measure of how quickly an outfield player can stop, turn, and start moving again. So it's pretty important for defenders, especially fullbacks, who will have to compete 1v1 with tricky attackers running at them. If you play a narrow, disciplined back line you might get away with a tugboat or two if they have cover each side so they won't be turned and exposed.

It's one of the key attributes that divides good centre halves from top level ones imo. You can look extremely capable in a bottom half side and then completely hopeless in one with higher aspirations just from a lack of agility. The more players your team commits forward the greater need you have for those you leave back to defend 1v1 on counters.

8 minutes ago, Sarmatian said:

What about individual trainings?

If there's a set of attributes you want to improve, put a player on the role regime that focuses on those and don't pay too much attention to their moaning. Wait a few months, see if they're improving and then make changes accordingly.

If there's no attributes you want to focus on specifically, you can leave Individual Training on Playing Position as well. It doesn't mean players won't train, it's just a regime that focuses on a broader range of attributes, but to a lighter degree (as explained here by Seb).

48 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

If there's a set of attributes you want to improve, put a player on the role regime that focuses on those and don't pay too much attention to their moaning. Wait a few months, see if they're improving and then make changes accordingly.

If there's no attributes you want to focus on specifically, you can leave Individual Training on Playing Position as well. It doesn't mean players won't train, it's just a regime that focuses on a broader range of attributes, but to a lighter degree (as explained here by Seb).

Yeah, I'm doing that.

983786808_BorisPetrovic_Training-2.thumb.png.20bbcd7c5d4b1232ca96180f00eb639e.png

But let's say I want this guy, a striker, to focus on Shooting. Very soon I get feedback that in one of three ways:

1) Coach says I should cancel it - no longer a weakness (how can Finishing 10 and Composure 9 not be weaknesses for a Striker)

2) Coach say I should cancel it - it is not having an effect

3) player is unhappy because he's forced to do something that is ineffective

So, basically, is the feedback accurate? Or should I just ignore them and keep it on and see the effect after 6 months/a year?

I mean, this has happened with pretty much everyone I've assigned some individual focus to.

2 hours ago, Sarmatian said:

So, basically, is the feedback accurate? Or should I just ignore them and keep it on and see the effect after 6 months/a year?

I'm pretty sure the accuracy of feedback varies depending on the quality of your staff, but a general rule of thumb is to never follow their advice blindly. If you want to develop a player in a certain way, stick to that for 6-12 months and then make changes should those attributes still not develop or perhaps they developed enough.

As for players complaining, that usually indicates their professionalism is not high enough. As long as you're not clearly overtraining them (Medium/Heavy Workload should be enough, I stay away from Very Heavy), I'd ignore their moaning. The more professional your squad gets, the less of it you see.

3 minutes ago, middleweight165 said:

Is there any consensus regarding which is the best?

To be honest, there's no any real science to training schedules. When it comes to actual development, the quality of your coaches and facilities hold much bigger importance. There's no "the best" one, it really only comes down to which attributes you want to focus on the most and how much Match Preparation/Set Piece sessions you want to do before games (small performance bonuses at the price of more intense sessions).

Training Ratings are a good indicator whether your schedules are good. If most of your players are training well throughout the week, that means their attributes are developing and they're happy.

What factors does the AssMan take into consideration when recommending a suggested style? I'm in the premier league so he's got good stats, his recommended styles are Tiki-Taka and Vertical Tiki-Taka even though my team is below average in passing, composure, decisions, first touch e.t.c. (pretty much the ones I would be looking at if deciding to play a possession game). His preferred style is wing play, so I don't think that would be a factor. I don't listen to him much anyway, but I'm just curious what background info feeds into his recommendation. 

1 hour ago, mikcheck said:

Hi.

So I want to use a kind of TQ as my lone striker. The problem is that the role doesn't press much, and I need my front 3 to have aggressive pressing. 

Do you think that a CF(a) with "comes deep" PPM could somehow play similar to a TQ?

Thanks.

Is your pressing intensity coming from the team instruction, or are you setting up a split block (so dictating pressing via PI)?

If the former, then using a TQ is fine; a TQ with good work rate etc etc will still press aggressively. 

If it's a split block, then CF(a) may be more ideal. TQ has hardcoded unique movement I believe, but maybe that role and PPM combo gets you close.

I'm replaying a game (shush you in the back), for experiment purposes and to try and work something out.

I have an opposition hogging possession, 70%+ 

When I watch, they play it back to the keeper and spread it wide where two players will double-up and win set pieces.

I've tried everything instruction wise but I cannot get my team to press high. They drop deep (4-4-1-1), and cede the entire half to the opposition, which just leads to pressure.

When we do get the ball, they press heavy and hard, which causes long balls that end up with them recycling possession.

How do I get *my* team to press like them, instead of my team just ceding everything? Even with say, BWM midfielders, Pressing forwards, max pressing, higher defensive lines, all I see from my team is a retreat and ceding all the space to the opposition. It just strikes me as odd, which is why I'm watching and experimenting trying to figure out how to get the team to follow the instructions.

6 minutes ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

I'm replaying a game (shush you in the back), for experiment purposes and to try and work something out.

When I watch, they play it back to the keeper and spread it wide where two players will double-up and win set pieces.

I've tried everything instruction wise but I cannot get my team to press high. They drop deep (4-4-1-1), and cede the entire half to the opposition, which just leads to pressure.

When we do get the ball, they press heavy and hard, which causes long balls that end up with them recycling possession.

How do I get *my* team to press like them, instead of my team just ceding everything? Even with say, BWM midfielders, Pressing forwards, max pressing, higher defensive lines, all I see from my team is a retreat and ceding all the space to the opposition. It just strikes me as odd, which is why I'm watching and experimenting trying to figure out how to get the team to follow the instructions.

That doesn't make any sense, unless there is something really wonky with your tactic. Higher LOE - higher def - leave team urgency normal - set your front 3/4 to urgent pressing. Do you see those 3/4 making strides (literally to get at the opposition)? 2nd test would be to take two of those players and set them to man mark a CB and a FB/WB or even both CBs, do you see that happening?

I'm not saying - yeah do that, win matches, woo-hoo - but just to check you see that movement pattern/behaviour. Because unless something is really wonky in your formation/tactic it should happen.

On 30/10/2020 at 21:21, isignedupfornorealreason said:

4-4-1-1 is inherently going to have 4 lines of pressure, and most of your players are positioned in the two deepest lines. Regardless of what instructions/roles/modifiers you apply that's always going to be a major factor in ceding space. If you want a high press start with putting some players higher up the pitch.

4 hours ago, Sharkn20 said:

Can players capped in the young categories (U19 / U20 / U21 / U23) with their Countries, qualify for a 2nd nationality in other Countries?

I have this player who is already 2 years in Spain and haven't got his 2nd nationality yet.

2nd nation 2.jpg

2nd nation.jpg

In rl this is a yes, look at sergino dest. He had played on the u20? I believe for USA and it was still up for grabs for him to decide between holland and US. Once he got a senior cap with US then he was locked out.