Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

For match preparation training, does it matter which players are currently listed as the first team on the 'Tactics' tab? 

For example, I tend to do a lot of squad rotation but I don't decide that until match day.  So, if I have an 'Attacking Movement', 'Defensive Shape' or set piece training session, but when those are trained, the first team is from the previous match, and later, before the next match, I change the first team, does that render those match preparation training sessions less effective or ineffective? 

Also, before I start the match, I go into 'set pieces' and edit any unintended changes or holes which are created because of team selection (i.e. the set piece taker changes and that messes up the set piece tactic).  Does that make the earlier set piece training ineffective?

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At what point does your head of youth development affect the youth intake? i.e it is currently 11th Jan (France) and I've replaced my above average HOYD with an absolute perfect chap. Is this years crop of youth already 'set' or will he affect them?

5 hours ago, Craigus89 said:

At what point does your head of youth development affect the youth intake? i.e it is currently 11th Jan (France) and I've replaced my above average HOYD with an absolute perfect chap. Is this years crop of youth already 'set' or will he affect them?

It doesn't, the HOYD only influences some players personality. That's all.

13 hours ago, Craigus89 said:

7 hours ago, Sharkn20 said:

It doesn't, the HOYD only influences some players personality. That's all.

Nothing is set in stone until intake day however the building blocks of the intake are positioned much earlier in the year. Exactly when we don't know so difficult to say if changing the HoYD so late as that would have any influence.

The HoYD affects more than just personality though:

Head of Youth Development (HoYD)
The club’s HoYD is responsible for bringing Newgens into the club. He will influence what “type” of players are selected and can partially or fully pass on his personality to some of these Newgens. The “type” of players selected refers to a player’s position and style, for instance a HoYD with a preferred 4-5-1 formation and a Technical Coaching Style may produce more technically styled midfielders than another HoYD.
The HoYD will also influence the rare “freak” or exceptional Newgens that come through, modifying their ability and style.
This role is filled by the HoYD by default, however if none is employed whichever staff member is set to be responsible for youth development will fill this role.

Link

This may be more of a match engine question, but how is it determined which playing style the AI will use?

I'm playing in Germany, and nearly every team uses one of the high/extreme pressing, high-tempo styles. It's like playing a Bielsa side every match. Shouldn't there be more variation from team to team?

What’s up with countering the ai when they go on very attacking or use som other ridiculous attacking tactic? Playing against 424 or 4231 and the ai decides to gegenpress and using an advanced playmaker and deep lying playmaker in pivot with attacking full backs and you literally cannot counter. Players lose all control and eventually you concede 

Individual Training: Assigning a role and duty of course shows you what attributes will be affected by this, some duties affect which attributes are focused on (I.e a pressing forward on attack will include finishing, on defend duty it will not).

If the duty assigned doesn't change the highlighted attributes, is there any difference in the individual training? In my case, a ball playing defender on cover or defend duty covers identical attributes. So is it relevant at all?

6 hours ago, saintrainhard said:

The best way to improve workrate attributes , especially for youngsters ?

Disciplinary for poor performances. By this under 6.4 and ideally lower. right click and warn\fine for poor performance (I do the latter on sub 6.0 ratings). I have some sqaud fillers that have jumped up massively due to this.

BTW when they complain on this, it may be worth asking if they need mentoring, or are even worth keeping. (complaining could be a sign of a bad personality that could stop them reaching potential)

You can also targte this partially with Endurance training, and or some of the Training types. Telling them they were poor and warning\fining, so long as justified works best though

Edited by plcarlos

If I’m looking to play a possession based game, should my attacking width be set to narrow to help retain possession in the middle? 

Or would I be better served with attacking width?

On 04/07/2021 at 19:18, fraudiola said:

ease off tackles or harder vs fast wingers/wingbacks?

I just look at the opposition player's strength & bravery when deciding this. I find that if a opposition player has high bravery then my players will often get booked. I assume that this is because the player's high bravery level prevents him from ducking out of challenges.

I've read before that some prefer to ease off tackles on fast, tricky players though.

Does anyone do it differently?

On 08/07/2021 at 17:44, mby92 said:

If I’m looking to play a possession based game, should my attacking width be set to narrow to help retain possession in the middle? 

Or would I be better served with attacking width?

Narrow helps you keep possession. However thats because players are closer together. You can also play wider if your players are technically good with standard passing and still keep the ball. It depends on your players

4 minutes ago, fraudiola said:

any way to keep AML and AMR from tracking back. playing a TM on support, all three track back on defense which leaves no one up front for an out ball

Attack duty and a maybe even a higher mentality. 

3 hours ago, saintrainhard said:

Are slowing down the tempo and doing shorter passes +(not pass to space, be disciplined , dribble less)  while already in lead can greatly conserve energy of the players??

yes, you can do that. Especially with be more disciplined your players will look for a no-nonsense passing game to keep possession. You might need to lower your mentality though to have your players not moving up the pitch too fast

3 minutes ago, fraudiola said:

they're on attack duty and positive 

You may need to start a thread for this to not start a discussion in this thread. 

however, at some point they will always track back. So if they even track back with an attack duty, you need to win the ball back more quickly. There is no way to drop deep with wide players remaining the outlets l.

maybe wide target mans will stay there

Edited by CARRERA

17 hours ago, zigaliro said:

What's the difference between Wide Midfielder and Winger?

Wide Midfielders have no individual instructions. They also start from a deeper position than a winger so they can provide defensive cover whereas a winger is more aggressive.

5 hours ago, fraudiola said:

should i be worried about a player unhappy about his current contract if his morale is high? 

it can spread. you can ask your captain or vicecaptain to have a word with him

What is the best training session after a match: recovery or rest?

Why does my right sided winger (attack) keep cutting inside as opposed to beating his man and crossing on his right foot?

The player in question is James Forrest. So it is his favoured role on his favoured side. It’s frustrating as he is driving into the middle and congesting the midfield when there is loads of space for him on the outside.

3 hours ago, mby92 said:

Why does my right sided winger (attack) keep cutting inside as opposed to beating his man and crossing on his right foot?

The player in question is James Forrest. So it is his favoured role on his favoured side. It’s frustrating as he is driving into the middle and congesting the midfield when there is loads of space for him on the outside.

Does he have "cuts inside from right wing" or "cuts inside from both wings" PPM?

More is nice but I don't know if there's an exact number you can point to, really. The average composure of the first choice back four of my most recent champions league winning side was like 12.5 - most games we played out the back. 

Edited by NotSoSpecialOne
Wrong attribute

22 hours ago, mby92 said:

This happens to literally every winger. I believe it was a way of ‘nerfing’ the overpowered crosses. You can’t reliably get players to hit early crosses no matter what you do, or who the players are.

Hopefully it’s looked at for the next release.

On 13/07/2021 at 23:21, LHurlz said:

Does he have "cuts inside from right wing" or "cuts inside from both wings" PPM?

No. His preferred moves are to run with ball down the right, knocks ball past opponent, and avoids using weaker foot.

On 14/07/2021 at 16:07, fraudiola said:

how high should composure be for playing out the back be for a top 4 side?

On 14/07/2021 at 16:47, NotSoSpecialOne said:

More is nice but I don't know if there's an exact number you can point to, really. The average composure of the first choice back four of my most recent champions league winning side was like 12.5 - most games we played out the back. 

Yeah if you're at the top level I'd say you generally don't want below 12-13 on any important attributes. It depends on your system too, I play quite aggressively so whilst I do occasionally get 2010 Spain-esque sequences of short passes by our own corner flag, more likely my centre backs are on half-way and full backs are at the opposition byline. I'm on FM19 but I think this is all still relevant. My 6-successive CL-winning side's first choice back 4 right now has 15, 14, 16, 14 Composure along with great technical abilities in general (well, one of them has 11 First Touch and Technique, 13 Passing, but the rest could be midfielders. Federico Chiesa at right back, for example). But it all depends on your structure, as I've also got this guy playing all my group games and some knockouts at centre-back:

828431935_Screenshot2021-07-18at14_29_43.png.ec0d7537b00ce96a1bb0744030ac6534.png

He plays as a BPD-St, in partnership with a BPD-Co. As you can see, only 9 Composure and Technique. But other than that he's technically sound and intelligent, with a strong structure around him of a more technical BPD-Co, a good SK-Su, a DLP-De dropping deep, and the Play Out Of DefenceMuch Shorter Passing, and Lower Tempo instructions countered by our Attacking team mentality and Focus Play Through The Middle, giving him an Attacking mentality as an individual. But I also have the contradiction of giving a player a role with Take More Risks hardcoded the trait 'Plays Short Simple Passes' to account for. In his last match he played 54 passes, completing 44, with  a 79% rate over the season so far - 6 key passes out of his 891 total. Too, he hasn't made any mistakes leading to a goal. 

In summary - its FM, there are no right answers :lol: But hopefully I've helped in some small way.

21 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Do you consider technique important for a BPD? 

Depends how much of the "BP" part of BPD you're looking for. If you want a guy playing "Hollywood Passes" or dribbling out, then yes it's very important. For example my favourite defender in my team right now is Dayot Upamecano:

1633430237_Screenshot2021-07-18at14_26_26.png.67f59ea1665d1d9c22ab34e4af9edf82.png

His left foot is Fairly Strong. He does often charge out into the midfield before either laying it off short or accurately putting my striker 1v1 with the goalkeeper. But our other 3 centre backs are closer to the player I highlighted in my previous response in terms of technical ability. You still get the occasional long ball over the top - less likely to lead to a clear goalscoring opportunity than from Upamecano, but still quite accurate - but more likely they'll either go very short, or dink it over one player to reach my wide forwards. 

Upamecano's predecessor, however, was Kostas Manolas:

391416292_Screenshot2021-07-18at14_28_49.png.e1aa16c2ca41d7b3974f32d76cfd0e22.png

Only 10 Passing and Technique - ignore the physicals, he's 35 in this screenshot - and a trait that should arguably get him into trouble by relying on the aforementioned Technique. But he's so intelligent - his high Composure perhaps makes this image more relevant to the first question I was answering - he was a key part in a team hauling in 7 consecutive domestic clean sweeps and 5 Champions League titles. We didn't lose a single league game for his last 5 seasons either. Obviously the system - and the incredible squad surrounding him - plays a great role here, but he certainly didn't let the side down. 

What factors affect the likelihood that I can train / untrain a player trait? I'm on FM19.

For example, I want to alter Lorenzo Pellegrini's game as he ages - partially to change his game, partially to prevent him passing on unwanted moves through mentoring:

500816208_Screenshot2021-07-18at14_38_09.png.5d2160cb852b5a00639cca6908e1d5db.png

In particular I'm looking at Arrives Late In Opponent's Area (I'll move him back to DLP-De at DM in a couple of seasons), and Attempts Overhead Kicks (waste - admittedly minuscule - of PA, I've never seen on in FM19).

• Does versatility effect it? As an accomplished DM and natural MC / AMC, he's equal there to Donny van de Beek, the only player I've ever successfully removed Dwells on Ball from. But would another player who is a natural AML, AMR, MR, DR, competent ML, AMC, WBR, unconvincing ST, and awkward WBL be more easily able to adapt his game? My experience says not given I also have a natural DL, accomplished at WBL, DC, DR, WBR who has been unsuccessful with learning appropriate traits for 3 years.
  • The player's attributes obviously affect his ability to gain a trait, but do they affect the ability to remove it? i.e. because his physical decline hasn't begun and he has such great Off The Ball, will I struggle to remove Arrives Late In Opponent's Area? Or will his overall intelligence make it easier to alter his game?
  • Does the quality of coaches and club facilities have an effect?

On 14/07/2021 at 18:00, TheGhostofPaulLambert said:

Jack Grealish...what role best replicates how he plays IRL?

I've found Trequartista in the AML spot to be pretty effective.  The only drawback would be that it has Take More Risks, and with the very attacking mentality, I find he often tries through balls just a bit too often.

What are the first things I should check first when I have extremely bad shots on target ratio (around 20%)? The xg on the chanches im getting is ok, my players just always put it wide, including my golden ball striker. Already doig chance conversion and WBIB+lower tempo

8 hours ago, zlatanera said:

What factors affect the likelihood that I can train / untrain a player trait? I'm on FM19.

For example, I want to alter Lorenzo Pellegrini's game as he ages - partially to change his game, partially to prevent him passing on unwanted moves through mentoring:

500816208_Screenshot2021-07-18at14_38_09.png.5d2160cb852b5a00639cca6908e1d5db.png

In particular I'm looking at Arrives Late In Opponent's Area (I'll move him back to DLP-De at DM in a couple of seasons), and Attempts Overhead Kicks (waste - admittedly minuscule - of PA, I've never seen on in FM19).

• Does versatility effect it? As an accomplished DM and natural MC / AMC, he's equal there to Donny van de Beek, the only player I've ever successfully removed Dwells on Ball from. But would another player who is a natural AML, AMR, MR, DR, competent ML, AMC, WBR, unconvincing ST, and awkward WBL be more easily able to adapt his game? My experience says not given I also have a natural DL, accomplished at WBL, DC, DR, WBR who has been unsuccessful with learning appropriate traits for 3 years.
  • The player's attributes obviously affect his ability to gain a trait, but do they affect the ability to remove it? i.e. because his physical decline hasn't begun and he has such great Off The Ball, will I struggle to remove Arrives Late In Opponent's Area? Or will his overall intelligence make it easier to alter his game?
  • Does the quality of coaches and club facilities have an effect?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks has meaning in FM.  ie., the older a player is the less likely he becomes of gaining / losing Traits.  Versatility absolutely affects things as well, including the likelihood of success and the number of Traits a player could have.  A player's attributes and position will also have an impact.

Traits don't affect PA.

On 15/07/2021 at 04:49, mby92 said:

No. His preferred moves are to run with ball down the right, knocks ball past opponent, and avoids using weaker foot.

Have you considered that the opposition might be forcing him inside by using the show onto weaker foot opposition instructions, the same way you do for other teams?

Right now I'm using a 4-1-2-3 DM Wide. The classic 433.

Midfielders have very good workrate and bravery but decent-poor tackling.

I want to compress the area so we have more bodies battling in the midfield and they help eachother to balance the lack of good tacklers.

Is it a good idea using a higher defensive line, lower line of engagement and increase the pressing urgency?

Edited by bosque

1 hour ago, bosque said:

Is it a good idea using a higher defensive line, lower line of engagement and increase the pressing urgency?

I would use at least a standard line of engagement so as not to allow opposition defenders an excessive amount of time on the ball.