Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, beverage1982 said:

Question for anyone who watched Villa vs. Leeds tonight. Would you have Coutinho as a Treq or an AM if you were recreating Villas formation?

Was thinking of that myself, Trequartista for me 

5 hours ago, Taunton said:

I get high Xg but struggle to convert. Where in the data analysis can I see how I create chances?

First thing I would look at, is your xG Match Story. Is your overall xG high because you're actually creating high-xG chances, or because you end up having 20 low-quality shots, meaning your chance creation could be a problem? You want to look for big jumps on the xG graph, rather than a gradual crawl through multiple shots. If you're creating enough good chances, perhaps it's worth comparing your strikers' efficiency to the rest of the league and seeing if they need replacing.

In terms of "how" you create chances, it's best you watch the highlights or maybe click on individual shots in the Team Analysis tab after games. You could also look into stats such as Crosses Completed or Passes Completed, but they won't really tell you much in isolation.

15 hours ago, Zemahh said:

First thing I would look at, is your xG Match Story. Is your overall xG high because you're actually creating high-xG chances, or because you end up having 20 low-quality shots, meaning your chance creation could be a problem? You want to look for big jumps on the xG graph, rather than a gradual crawl through multiple shots. If you're creating enough good chances, perhaps it's worth comparing your strikers' efficiency to the rest of the league and seeing if they need replacing.

In terms of "how" you create chances, it's best you watch the highlights or maybe click on individual shots in the Team Analysis tab after games. You could also look into stats such as Crosses Completed or Passes Completed, but they won't really tell you much in isolation.

I will do. Thanks a lot  for the answer.

Hi there,

I have a FB who is told to sit narrower to act kinda like a IWB, and ahed of him I have a WM(s) and I want him to keep the width so that's why I tell him to stay wider. The question is that I want him sometimes to cut inside with the ball, when he sees that chance.

He plays on the opposite side of his strong foot and he is intelligent. What do you think it's better? Tell him also to cut inside with the ball or the fact that he's intelligent and already playing with his opposite foot will make him to that sometimes?

Thank you.

14 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Hi there,

I have a FB who is told to sit narrower to act kinda like a IWB, and ahed of him I have a WM(s) and I want him to keep the width so that's why I tell him to stay wider. The question is that I want him sometimes to cut inside with the ball, when he sees that chance.

He plays on the opposite side of his strong foot and he is intelligent. What do you think it's better? Tell him also to cut inside with the ball or the fact that he's intelligent and already playing with his opposite foot will make him to that sometimes?

Thank you.

Personally I'll tell him to cut inside

5 horas atrás, DarJ disse:

Personally I'll tell him to cut inside

What if he learns the trait to cut inside with the ball? Because I'm afraid that using a PI will make him to that constantly and I just want him to do it when he thinks he should.

42 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

What if he learns the trait to cut inside with the ball? Because I'm afraid that using a PI will make him to that constantly and I just want him to do it when he thinks he should.

A trait would likely make him do it even more often than a PI would.

Hopefully this is a quickfire question:

What are the tradeoffs involved in leaving someone in their playing position training and training them for a specific role?  I understand the latter trains the specific attributes for the chosen role, but aside from wanting that specificity why would you choose one of these over the other?

4 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

Which role would you assign to the DM in this system? not looking for any other pointers, so didnt want to make a new topic

Hide contents

20220315204430_1.thumb.jpg.18c24910d4ccb6fca7b135eff2cc0c6f.jpg

Think your DM or an Anchor there is just fine 

4 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

Which role would you assign to the DM in this system? not looking for any other pointers, so didnt want to make a new topic

Hide contents

20220315204430_1.thumb.jpg.18c24910d4ccb6fca7b135eff2cc0c6f.jpg

As Johnny said DM or Anchor works, I would also consider DLP if the player has the attributes for it.

Had to upgrade from FM18 to FM22 on a whim because of Özil's new thread, so there are many new concepts to grasp.

Let's begin with Line of Engagement. I'm with Scunthorpe and want to play with a Medium-Low block so I chose Cautious mentality. Does it work similar to width, tempo etc, being naturally lower with more defensive mentality, or do I have to adjust it manually?

34 minutes ago, axelmuller said:

Had to upgrade from FM18 to FM22 on a whim because of Özil's new thread, so there are many new concepts to grasp.

Let's begin with Line of Engagement. I'm with Scunthorpe and want to play with a Medium-Low block so I chose Cautious mentality. Does it work similar to width, tempo etc, being naturally lower with more defensive mentality, or do I have to adjust it manually?

Tempo, passing, pressing and lines will be lower the lower down the mentalities you go

I'd start on balanced and not touch anything for a couple of games then adjust based on what you see 

I signed Declan Rice in the summer and am playing him as a B2B midfielder in a high tempo system. I noticed that he has the PPM of "Stops Play" which seems like a non-ideal PPM to have for a B2B midfielder in a high tempo system. Should I try to have him unlearn it or is there value in that PPM in my tactics?

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, frank_olaf said:

I signed Declan Rice in the summer and am playing him as a B2B midfielder in a high tempo system. I noticed that he has the PPM of "Stops Play" which seems like a non-ideal PPM to have for a B2B midfielder in a high tempo system. Should I try to have him unlearn it or is there value in that PPM in my tactics?

Thanks.

Depends, it may not entirely be a bad thing he stops play every now and then, watch a few games and see if it negatively affects the way you want to play 

2 hours ago, frank_olaf said:

Thanks.

What exactly do you want him to do? The BBM as a role does a lot of things and depending on what you want him to do, the value of that PPM changes.

If you like the player to be more present in the offense and to link up plays, the PPM is actually pretty valuable in offensive formations as it creates time for the fullbacks to overlap or for your players to start deep runs. The general idea would be for the player to get roughly in the AMC position quickly and then to slowen the pace for better positions. This player would therefore act as some kind of pseudo-playmaker with the ball who relatively often directs the play. In this capacity the PPM is worth a lot and can be further strengthened by other PPM that focus on directing the game. "Dictates Tempo" and "Switching to Wide Areas" would be two candidates that give the player liberty to further direct the game and involve deeper players that pick up the pace after the ball is off Rice again.
However, I'd personally use him as a CMs if that is what I want from him.

If you are more into his defensive contribution and his threat coming late, it could be a harmful PPM as it slows the pace deeper down the pitch and he is less likely to keep up offensive pressure as a late-comer. In that case You'd need some counter-acting PPM. I see little you could do against the deep holding besides potentially using a playmaker right next to him or telling him to take fewer risks and dribble less (both make him more likely to pass the ball on if he is under pressure without hoofing it long). For the deep threat, arriving late and shooting from distance can help.

19 hours ago, Piperita said:

What exactly do you want him to do? The BBM as a role does a lot of things and depending on what you want him to do, the value of that PPM changes.

If you like the player to be more present in the offense and to link up plays, the PPM is actually pretty valuable in offensive formations as it creates time for the fullbacks to overlap or for your players to start deep runs. The general idea would be for the player to get roughly in the AMC position quickly and then to slowen the pace for better positions. This player would therefore act as some kind of pseudo-playmaker with the ball who relatively often directs the play. In this capacity the PPM is worth a lot and can be further strengthened by other PPM that focus on directing the game. "Dictates Tempo" and "Switching to Wide Areas" would be two candidates that give the player liberty to further direct the game and involve deeper players that pick up the pace after the ball is off Rice again.
However, I'd personally use him as a CMs if that is what I want from him.

If you are more into his defensive contribution and his threat coming late, it could be a harmful PPM as it slows the pace deeper down the pitch and he is less likely to keep up offensive pressure as a late-comer. In that case You'd need some counter-acting PPM. I see little you could do against the deep holding besides potentially using a playmaker right next to him or telling him to take fewer risks and dribble less (both make him more likely to pass the ball on if he is under pressure without hoofing it long). For the deep threat, arriving late and shooting from distance can help.

I want him to be my all action midfielder, helping build up play then supporting the attacks  but also doing defensive work. I wasn't planning on getting him to learn any other PPMs, just possibly getting him to unlearn Stops Play. He is positioned right next to my playmaker (APa):
image.png.6c22080505d50641f7f01e464b40fe09.png

Edited by frank_olaf

I got a strange first world problem. I got too much money. After my second in the 2nd Bundesliga, i finished 6th and made a lot of money with a club that already was secure. Now i am having the team with the lowest wage in the league of about 8 million per year, and 4 million wage budged extra plus 5 million transfer budget. THing is, i can' spend all that money. There is nobody worth a lot of money that wants to join and i can't scout for wonderkids because i am only allowed to scout europe. Also, my regular starters are settled in quite well and none of them are worth a lot. So, i am not really able to shift a lot of my mediocre and cheap players and therefore getting good new ones would unsettle a lot of my existing ones. And every time i am asking my board to invest all that money into scouting range or other long time investments, they say dude, we love you, but naah. I would love to get some young talented players into the team, but in order to get them, i have to promise them important player status and all the other stuff. Is there a good way to take all that money and invest it? My current playstyle would get a few small improvements, but let the most of ther money lie dormant, and i don't like that either :D

2 minutes ago, palmamiguel92 said:

Finishing is completely broken for strikers, they can't shoot or deal with 1v1s. Is the solution now playing with strikerless formations?

Attributes playing together, a single attribute means nothing. The conversation rate % is on the line with IRL (maybe little less or more, it depends). A strikerless formation will not help you a lot or at all, will make things worse.

On 16/03/2022 at 11:50, ZenSoCal said:

As Johnny said DM or Anchor works, I would also consider DLP if the player has the attributes for it.

As others have mentioned this looks fine as it is - I use a similar combo in a midfield three.

If I was to change anything it might be pulling back the mentality of the attacking trio, especially with a positive mentality, looks like it could be putting a heap of pressure on the B2B to be the only link between the back half and the forward half, but if its working how you'd like, then push onwards. 

18 hours ago, palmamiguel92 said:

Finishing is completely broken for strikers, they can't shoot or deal with 1v1s. Is the solution now playing with strikerless formations?

If you like but finishing is not broken. Strikers (or any player) will miss chances and sitters, it's part of football 

20 hours ago, palmamiguel92 said:

The ME's 3D visualization of shooting generally and 1:1 specifically is absolutely crocked and rubbish - it's hard to fathom how they'd release it in that state, but apparently it used to be even worse, so here we are.

Statistically though check your team/league/other leagues and you should see stats that are normal in regard to finishing. The very poor ME rendering of it, is what makes it seem so bad.

Is there a good way to see out games the  last ten minutes? I feel my teams is bad at just keeping the ball and play patient. It may be that teams are more aggressive when they chase the game, but still, it should be possible to close games.

And do you experience that goals are much harder to come by after the last patch?

13 hours ago, Taunton said:

Is there a good way to see out games the  last ten minutes? I feel my teams is bad at just keeping the ball and play patient. It may be that teams are more aggressive when they chase the game, but still, it should be possible to close games.

Depends on what's happening and what you're doing in those last 10 minutes, could a be down to anything really. If your team aren't being patient, add in some Time Wasting, lower the Tempo, narrow down and cut down on an attack duty or two, that could help effectively bore out the last 10 minutes. If the other team are throwing everything at you, quit trying to play out from the back, look to pass into space, more look to go more direct, so it depends on what's actually happening 

Em 22/03/2022 em 16:17, CaptCanuck disse:

The ME's 3D visualization of shooting generally and 1:1 specifically is absolutely crocked and rubbish - it's hard to fathom how they'd release it in that state, but apparently it used to be even worse, so here we are.

Statistically though check your team/league/other leagues and you should see stats that are normal in regard to finishing. The very poor ME rendering of it, is what makes it seem so bad.

99% of the matches my opponents get to score more goals with less chances than I do, win or lose, they always score more goals with less chances, I have to the 20+ shots to get 1 or 2 goals, the AI teams in 5 chances get 2 goals easy

15 minutes ago, palmamiguel92 said:

99% of the matches my opponents get to score more goals with less chances than I do, win or lose, they always score more goals with less chances, I have to the 20+ shots to get 1 or 2 goals, the AI teams in 5 chances get 2 goals easy

Number of shots is a near meaningless value. Number of chances created and xG/shot are much more valuable in measuring attacking success.

For example: I played a brutally defensive countering system against Bayern with the final shots tally standing against me at 28 to 6 and xG at 2.28 to 1.06. Yet I had 3 CCC and one half-chance against Bayerns 1 half-chance. My average shot was over 0.17 to my xG whereas Bayern only average 0.08. In the end my weak team that was pegged as relegation candidate managed a well-deserved 2:2 (which should have been a 2:1 but that darn Lewandowski did his thing in the 94th minute) despite the highlighted stats saying I should have lost badly.

15 hours ago, palmamiguel92 said:

That's the issue with Xg, it doesn't give You the real number of scoring a chance, just the value of the chance.

30 shots of 0.01 Xg, will be the same score than one shot of 0.30 Xg. But that shot will be 30 times more likely to go in that a 0.01, basic math.

Edited by Sharkn20

I was really interested in making a high possession tactic but will the FM22 match engine actually allow for it or will I still be ceding possession to inferior opponents? 

15 hours ago, kepz said:

I was really interested in making a high possession tactic but will the FM22 match engine actually allow for it or will I still be ceding possession to inferior opponents? 

It's very possible

I've tried both ways, the lower mentalities with possession friendly roles & TI's, that works but is a bit toothless

Then, the high lines, counter press so backlines can't pass among themselves, grants high possession (since you put a stop to the opposition's dilly dallying)

Neither are how I like to play so I just forget about possession :D 

Hi there,

Hi play with a kind of a deep 4231, but wingers in the ML/MR slot, AMC and striker. I like to play faster and riskier and that's why I use a positive mentality, but somehow I sometimes feel that deeper formations (maybe not all the cases) work best with a balanced mentality for example. I say this because I think sometimes my team try to rush things too soon, when the deeper players are still on their way to join the attack. 

If I use a balanced mentality, I can see the ball carrier being a bit more patient and wait for the teammates to be higher up the pitch. 

Does this makes sense or a positive mentality does still work fine with deeper formations?

6 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Does this makes sense or a positive mentality does still work fine with deeper formations?

Man, that's pretty deep for the QQs :thup: But yeah,, if you like what you're seeing playing team on Balanced and prefer the patient approach, stick with it, can always move up into Positive if you think you need to move into another gear but nothing wrong with Balanced at all 

At a point in my save (Derby County, just past the January of season 7) where I aim to push the traditional top 6 and become one of the better sides in England and then Europe. However, this hasn't been as easy as I would have hoped for a few reasons...

Random Unforced Errors:

My players seem to make a large number of random unforced errors, often leading to goals. I'm not convinced these are strictly or exclusively tactical issues as the sort of thing I'm seeing are:

• Defenders randomly passing the ball short of eachother or to opposition forwards when we reclaim possession in our defensive third. Now whilst I do like to encourage shorter build up play from the back (using one or two of the TIs that encourage this), I still haven't experienced this type of thing at this frequency.

• The exact opposite also happens. Defenders randomly hoofing the ball, only a relatively short distance straight to opposition players and away from where our players are clustered. Again, whilst this should and does happen, not in this volume.

Inconsistent and Injury Prone Players:

Whilst this isn't a major issue currently, it definitely will be next season as I have agreed a deal to sign a 18/19 year old German newgen central defender on a free transfer. He's a step above my current options already with room to grow so it was a no brainer to bring him in. Although, he is injury prone and inconsistent but despite this I took the gamble as, worst comes to worst, he has resale value. However, I would rather look to solve/mitigate these flaws. This isn't something I've looked to do before - how would I go about this?

Hey guys, how can I get a Wide Attacker (say, in AML) to play as a wide forward in possession, but line up in a 3-5-2 out of possession?

Say I played something like this (if the tactic sucks ignore that, it's just an example)

AF(A) DLF(s)
IF(s)

BWM(d)   BBM(s)        W(A)
                            DLP(s)

WCB   CB     CB

Would the IF align to the midfield out of possession? I suspect it wouldn't, causing the tactic to be defensively weak on the left, but I also want to go for IF instead of IW so... is there any way I can instruct him to get back?

If you want a wide forward I would say any of IF and IW roles are out of the question as I don't think they would stay wide enough for you. I think the best bet would be to place the player in the MF strata where you want him to be when you defend and use use a traditional winger. Unless you want him to attack the central areas when he has the ball. In which case I don't know enough about those positions to help. But I'd definitely look to use him in the MF strata and see how that goes. Not sure if you can use individual instructions to ask a player to stay wider but cut inside with the ball?

Edit - just had a play around with the roles and I think you might be better with a wide midfielder who you can instruct to do the two instructions I said. Can also ask him to get further forward if you want him to be higher up the pitch and this is hard coded into the attack duty.

Edited by brookie1402

Does the intensity of the primary tactic being trained also impact training intensity?

In other words, if you primarily train an intense tactic, will you see more training injuries given all other things equal than a less intense tactic?

13 hours ago, stopazricky said:

Would the IF align to the midfield out of possession?

Your best bet is playing him in the LM strata, especially now, Support IF's have Get Further Forward hard coded ETA: What @brookie1402said

6 hours ago, kepz said:

Does the intensity of the primary tactic being trained also impact training intensity?

I think the intensity bar on the tactic screen is purely for the tactic in play, but that's a good question 

On 30/03/2022 at 02:39, kepz said:

In other words, if you primarily train an intense tactic, will you see more training injuries given all other things equal than a less intense tactic?

No, But a very small Yes:

No - Bacause Training Intensity is set seperatly

Very small Yes - If you are training a highly Physical Tactic, then that could lead to more physical sesssions that increase the training intesity overall, which increases injury risk from training.

Higher Training intesity could lead to higher injuries, but it's tied to condition\injury history and many other factors.

Hope it's okay to post this in this thread, I personally didn't think it warranted its own: 

In need of some tactical help.

Preamble: 3rd season with Leverkusen, still no trophies. Currently in 2nd place but the xG table would more realistically have us in 4th. We have only the 6th best attack and the 5th best defence. Warning signs are all around. We are not playing the football I want and I fear my team has no identity and it's only being held together by strong morale and team cohesion.

The tactic.

Schick and Lucca are my best players/goalscorers by far but I can't accommodate them both, so I've had to move Schick out onto the IF role where he has excelled. That's kept Harvey Elliott (loan) and Paulinho out of the mix for the time being.

The idea behind my tactic is that this team has no underlying attributes for press/counter-press. They have bang average teamwork and workrate. The backline is technical and fairly pacy, hence the high line and offside trap. The idea is to try to control possession and otherwise stay rather compact.

Instead, I seem to have hurt the team's creativity despite our high possession numbers although we are certainly more defensively solid than year's past, without being exceptional. 

EDIT: Just to add to this, we are 2nd only to Bayern Munich for average possession, but we are 11th in the bundesliga for chances created. 

Edited by Snootch

5 hours ago, plcarlos said:

No, But a very small Yes:

No - Bacause Training Intensity is set seperatly

Very small Yes - If you are training a highly Physical Tactic, then that could lead to more physical sesssions that increase the training intesity overall, which increases injury risk from training.

Higher Training intesity could lead to higher injuries, but it's tied to condition\injury history and many other factors.

Cheers, this was my thought exactly, glad to see it’s true. 

A more general question for the thread, I’ve only had success avoiding injuries through half intensity training. Anyone run double intensity sessions successfully and if so, how? Any tips? Is it even worth it?

This thread is for quick tactic and training questions @Broetchenholer if you think you've found a bug, post it here please:

https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2022-bugs-forum/transfers-contracts-scouting-recruitment-meetings-and-staff-responsibilities/

Cheers, I'll hide your previous post 

Hello!

Im managin in sweden and ive played aggressive defensive football the last season. Cautious mentality, higher tempo, lower LOE and d-line. I dont aim to dominate posession because i want to win the ball and progress fast with shorter passes. Here comes the question; how do i concede possesion (and still keep the potency?) Sometimes i unwillingly dominate posession and i dont want that. Do i up or down my mentality? Passing directness and tempo? Lower LOE even more?

46 minutes ago, lilljons said:

Sometimes i unwillingly dominate posession and i dont want that.

You're likely dominating possession because of Cautious Mentality, which makes your players cautious with and without the ball.

Here's a thread you might find useful, it explains the effects of Mentality and shows an example of an aggressive low block, which I assume is what you're after:

• 3 weeks later...

In this old post, it is stated by Dr Hook regadring match preparation training that "Only the last one prepared has an impact, so you can't set all 6 over the course of a week and hope they all have an impact."

Is this still the case in FM22? There is no mention of it in the training schedules?

Ignore: Answer here:

Edited by CAE82
Updated

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I have 2 questions:

1- If you want a player to cut inside sometimes and he has "cuts inside from both wings" traits, would you still use cut inside PI?

2 - What relation do you have with your DL/LOE? Do you always keep it the same to define your playing style or you change it based on the opposition?

Thanks.

Edited by mikcheck

13 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

If you want a player to cut inside sometimes and he has "cuts inside from both wings" traits, would you still use cut inside PI?

I don’t think you need the PI because he’s going to do it anyway unless you notice he’s not doing it as much as you’d like to

15 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

What relation do you have with your DL/LOE? Do you always keep it the same to define your playing style or you change it based on the opposition

I always keep it the same unless the opposition keeps getting behind and I’ve tried every other thing to stop then I’ll drop the DL but I never touch my LOE once I’ve settled with a particular style