Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 14/07/2024 at 02:21, frank_olaf said:

Hi,

I have a question about the "In Transition" > "When possession has been lost" Team Instruction. I understand the two options, Counter-Press and Regroup, but what happens if I don't select either. What will my players do when we lose possession?

Thanks

Most of the time you can play with a fairly blank slate of TIs on FM24...I only really recommend using them in situations where the tactic demands it.

For example: in a high pressing system you might feel compelled to leave "counter press" on, as without this pressure your high defensive line can be easily exposed.

On 21/07/2024 at 09:55, JAwtunes said:

Do AI teams use Player Instructions?

I believe the AI has all the tools at their disposal that the human manager can deploy.

image.png.04a32fbaa024e3a3b86a121c27266193.png

Hello. Anybody know why this is happening? Second player to get this from their two different mentoring group.

Alberto Mari (Professional) got this same message and became Fairly Professional from a Resolute Mentoring Group (Hugo Duro).

Fran Perez (Balanced) got this message from a Professional Mentoring Group (Juan Mata).

Squad personality is Highly Professional.

Would like to know what is happening so I can prevent it from happening again, and if there's a way to reverse the situation?

3 hours ago, quee said:

image.png.04a32fbaa024e3a3b86a121c27266193.png

Hello. Anybody know why this is happening? Second player to get this from their two different mentoring group.

Alberto Mari (Professional) got this same message and became Fairly Professional from a Resolute Mentoring Group (Hugo Duro).

Fran Perez (Balanced) got this message from a Professional Mentoring Group (Juan Mata).

Squad personality is Highly Professional.

Would like to know what is happening so I can prevent it from happening again, and if there's a way to reverse the situation?

Mentoring groups require at least three different players, so whoever else is in the group is a factor.

Fairly Professional and Resolute do not necessarily indicate different levels of professionalism I believe, but different levels of determination between the two players. 

• I frequently see Fairly Professional convert to Resolute at about 15 Determination? I am not up to date on the exact values of personalities. 

There is also a fair bit of luck involved, so keeping things low risk and checking the influence of the good personality players is important. You can check their media handling for more insights into these hidden personality traits. 

• Putting a Professional player into a Resolute group sounds inadvisable. The second example may be down to the third player as I mention above, or simply bad luck.
  • You could consider putting two mentors w/verifiably better personalities per youngster depending on how your squad is built.  
    • I only do 1 senior mentor + 2 youngsters when the influence level is "significant" on the mentor. 
Edited by Cloud9

3 hours ago, Sinbad7104 said:

Anyone know of a good way of dealing with players who come back to pre season late? Would a 2 week holiday be enough rest? 

I don't have a verified answer on that but what I do know is that the pre-season is very important for fitness over the course of the season and injuries are underplayed in FM. You're also not going to do irreparable damage to him as you could to a real athlete w/out sufficient rest.

I would throw him right in the deep end as soon as you can, no holiday.

Edited by Cloud9

Are the pressing traps supposed to do anything in the match engine and if yes, how? 

Also, is the stop crosses instruction totally useless? 

I am asking these because I haven't seen any difference in the gameplay when I activate these instructions. 

7 hours ago, El Payaso said:

Are the pressing traps supposed to do anything in the match engine and if yes, how? 

Also, is the stop crosses instruction totally useless? 

I am asking these because I haven't seen any difference in the gameplay when I activate these instructions. 

Yes they are very impactful, I find them very useful in a block. If you're not sure how to use them you can easily hamper your approach.

Edited by Cloud9

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, El Payaso said:

Has anyone found a tactical way to nullify the effects of throw-ins? By nullifying I mean a system where you don't concede or score from them? 

Good mentals go a long way in defensive situations! Keep in an eye out for attributes like concentration and anticipation but really any gap in the profile can cause issues. Defenders lacking physical profiles can also fail to react to quicker opposition in time or influence them enough to have an impact. 

If you're conceding too many goals with a defensive approach: consider that you may be inviting too much pressure w/out appropriate threat to the opposition out of possession. 

Edited by Cloud9

@El PayasoI share your pain. I am currently managing in Indian Second League, playing low block, doing well defensively even with very poor players and then every other match goals from practically nowhere (throw-ins, corners). I can swallow the corners (my GK has Command Of Area 5, Reflexes 6, so I can not complain too much :D) but the throw-ins...I replaced my Fullbacks with Jumping 4 with Fullbacks with Jumping 8-10 and it helped significantly but still...:)

2 hours ago, Los_Culés said:

@El PayasoI share your pain. I am currently managing in Indian Second League, playing low block, doing well defensively even with very poor players and then every other match goals from practically nowhere (throw-ins, corners). I can swallow the corners (my GK has Command Of Area 5, Reflexes 6, so I can not complain too much :D) but the throw-ins...I replaced my Fullbacks with Jumping 4 with Fullbacks with Jumping 8-10 and it helped significantly but still...:)

Yep. I decided to give up on this version. It's a thing that I have hated on FM since forever and I'm just hoping that SI could finally fix this issue with the new version. 

En 17/8/2024 a las 13:25, El Payaso dijo:

Has anyone found a tactical way to nullify the effects of throw-ins? By nullifying I mean a system where you don't concede or score from them? 

im using the set pieces routine from this video. i still concede from time to time but it has helped a lot 

4 hours ago, caco4003 said:

im using the set pieces routine from this video. i still concede from time to time but it has helped a lot 

Thank you for the tip. I never tend to download tactics or set pieces routines that someone else has created, so it is a no no to me, especially as it seems that these routines are using some kind of exploit in the attack. 

My aim would have been that I could create an attacking and defending system on throw-ins which would see these type of goals disappearing completely from my gameplay. 

I have tried to solve it even with the help of AI and my coder friend but no luck. 

Is there a way to get a wide midfielder to run in behind a lot? I have a player that in real life plays like this:

• In defense playing almost like a wing back in a back 5 (right back behind tucks in)
  • In offensive transition is almost the furthest ahead together with an advanced forward, threatening with runs to receive the ball in the channel between opponent's full back and centre back
  • In offensive possession, keeps the width as a winger would, but still making the runs mentioned above when opportunity arrise
  • When the attack is on the opposite side, sneaks into the box for far post headers 

I have tried IF (A) with stay wider, but that is not good enough defensively. I have also tried a variation of DW (S), WM (A/S) and W (A) but none of them achieve the threatening runs often enough.

Anyone knows how I can achieve this using instructions and maybe player traits?

On 21/08/2024 at 03:58, kransen said:

Is there a way to get a wide midfielder to run in behind a lot? I have a player that in real life plays like this:

• In defense playing almost like a wing back in a back 5 (right back behind tucks in)
  • In offensive transition is almost the furthest ahead together with an advanced forward, threatening with runs to receive the ball in the channel between opponent's full back and centre back
  • In offensive possession, keeps the width as a winger would, but still making the runs mentioned above when opportunity arrise
  • When the attack is on the opposite side, sneaks into the box for far post headers 

I have tried IF (A) with stay wider, but that is not good enough defensively. I have also tried a variation of DW (S), WM (A/S) and W (A) but none of them achieve the threatening runs often enough.

Anyone knows how I can achieve this using instructions and maybe player traits?

Off footed Winger(a) or Raumdeuter + aggressive traits would be my go to for this alongside roles capable of playing him in.

You will likely struggle to get a wide player as prolific as you'd see IRL.

how can i deal with the opposition defending inside the box with up to 9 players and GK against me? i’m the best team in the league by far and we average 60% possession and 2xG per game. yet, we are underperforming because most of our shots get either blocked or deflected 

30 minutes ago, ivosaurio said:

how can i deal with the opposition defending inside the box with up to 9 players and GK against me? i’m the best team in the league by far and we average 60% possession and 2xG per game. yet, we are underperforming because most of our shots get either blocked or deflected 

You need to break them down. Find wide players to pin fullbacks wide to deal with the compact nature of their defence. Then utilize overloading runs (see positional play) to exploit these gaps.

If you're by far the best team, then try lowering the tempo and look to roles like the Poacher if you're using a spearheading forward (as he won't run the channels). Finally, take a look at your TIs and remove the ones that are resulting in turnovers (such as counter).  

Roles/a profile like an AP can be very useful in breaking down a block!

7 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

If you're by far the best team, then try lowering the tempo and look to roles like the Poacher if you're using a spearheading forward (as he won't run the channels). Finally, take a look at your TIs and remove the ones that are resulting in turnovers (such as counter).  

Roles/a profile like an AP can be very useful in breaking down a block!

thanks for the quick reply! this is my system. now, i know that it may be a bit over the top with the roles, but i wanted to take advantage of the talent gap and have some fun with a very fluid system, and it works! we consistently create quality chances and we are the best team defensively, we just cannot score the goals lol. do you think your suggestions would work as a plan B? IMG_0309.thumb.jpeg.a34d951018836e12bfd7f3c3ad4dda80.jpeg

15 hours ago, ivosaurio said:

thanks for the quick reply! this is my system. now, i know that it may be a bit over the top with the roles, but i wanted to take advantage of the talent gap and have some fun with a very fluid system, and it works! we consistently create quality chances and we are the best team defensively, we just cannot score the goals lol. do you think your suggestions would work as a plan B? IMG_0309.thumb.jpeg.a34d951018836e12bfd7f3c3ad4dda80.jpeg

I would suggest opening up the width! You have a lot of roles looking to roam and create w/out space to do it in. Work the Ball Into the Box might be a welcome TI as well. 

There is also a lack of a goal threat in the tactic itself. A simple Shadow Striker instead of the Treq and an IF(s) in place of the AP(s) would go along way in balancing things. 

If you want to keep the Treq, perhaps a forward who does the running for him would be appropriate? Finding a balance between creative free roles alongside the hardworking will improve the tactic in general. You might also look to roles such as a DLP(s) over the Regista, who will help you control the ball a bit more compared to making line breaking passes. I haven't experimented too much w/a staggered pivot; but I would recommend a more traditional lined up duo when running two really aggressive wingback choices like you have here. 

Edited by Cloud9

In terms of the type of football that you try to play, how you realize when a style suits your players, for example in terms of attacking how do you know when your team suit a direct style rather a short passing game? The same when defending how you realize when your team is good at sitting back and press less or rather a high block with more intense pressing?

Do you look for any attributes in particular on the comparision tab?

6 hours ago, vvincc said:

In terms of the type of football that you try to play, how you realize when a style suits your players, for example in terms of attacking how do you know when your team suit a direct style rather a short passing game? The same when defending how you realize when your team is good at sitting back and press less or rather a high block with more intense pressing?

Do you look for any attributes in particular on the comparision tab?

Physical profiles in your squad can be a strong indicator, as can your key players, or goal scorers. 

How do we get the ball into goal scoring positions as a team and how can my striker get into goal scoring positions himself are two important questions to answer. 

Is it possible to play a direct style of play as a big team? 

I am trying to be successful implementing a style that uses tempo and passing directness slides one notch below the max allowed.

Even though the man in my profile picture is failing to do this with the team I am managing, I'd like to release quick players like Rashford, Garnacho and Hojland using players like Bruno who will receive the ball from the likes of Martinez, Ugarte, Casemiro, Mainoo. 

I usually employ a 4-2-3-1 DM Wide. 

In essence, what are the things I gotta keep in mind when doing something like this? Not opening a separate thread cause I don't need hand holding. Just quick opinions. 

3 hours ago, Heavyman39 said:

Individual training workload? During season medium and during preseason heavy or medium too?

I am of the opinion, having played many hours and many years of FM, that each and every additional assignment to a player has an effect on their energy and maybe morale too. So I only put players on individual training if they have a weakness and if it's not working I'll turn it off again. It's easy to see what might work because all the attributes are paired with one or two other attributes. So for example, if you want to increase HEADING ability you would also be trying to increase BRAVERY. If Bravery is already a lot higher than heading then it's pointless as the bravery setting will limit the heading setting. Well that is what I've found.
I wouldn't worry too much about find training, it won't make a big difference. What matters above all is playing time, even better if you can play them in their best position, roll and against "better" players. For that reason putting players out on loan at the right club, at the right level is a massive bonus.