Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 23/11/2020 at 06:22, Rashidi said:

Any result>Analytical data>Team 
That should bring the old analysis page up, but it still has a lot of UI errors so I would wait till release to see if they are fixed. 

Sorry, I didn´t express myself properly, I meant while I play the match. At the moment, you can only have that information at half time.

I meant this screen, while we play the match.

image.thumb.png.f8d4dd21934fdb67563b1827d265e50f.png

Edited by Sharkn20

FM21 is different in that you can't analyse using these tools unless its half time, full time or post match. During the course of the match your tools are limited to what you see in the Dugout and the Touchline Tablet.

36 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

FM21 is different in that you can't analyse using these tools unless its half time, full time or post match. During the course of the match your tools are limited to what you see in the Dugout and the Touchline Tablet.

Is that intentional? Or are they gonna change it with updates?

@Christopher S I unfortunately had to remove your comment. The only reason is that it's irrelevant to the topic of this thread (and the tactical forum in general) and on top of that has the potential to turn the discussion in an unwanted direction and thus derail the entire thread (whose purpose is to deal exclusively with simple questions in a simple manner). 

You can report any bug(s) in the relevant forum section (bugs forum) :thup:

3 hours ago, koikingu said:

Is there a way to assign "pass into space" as a player instruction for one player rather than the whole team?

The "Take more risks" player instruction is (sort of) the equivalent of the PiS team instruction. So that's the player instruction you are looking for here.

2 hours ago, JayJay8 said:

Hello, I wonder what does it mean - My players wants more attention for CORE UNIT.

What is the CORE UNIT?

Bez tytułu.png

It means they want dedicated training for their unit. So if those are defensive players training in the defensive unit, they want training sessions where the defensive unit is the primary beneficiary. 

see here on defending engaged, the primary focus is Defensive unit, and the impact priority is 60%. Whereas the attacking unit is 40% of the training.

image.png.f2ee8cc94711590e1d1ee29358a09b69.png

15 minutes ago, 04texag said:

It means they want dedicated training for their unit. So if those are defensive players training in the defensive unit, they want training sessions where the defensive unit is the primary beneficiary. 

see here on defending engaged, the primary focus is Defensive unit, and the impact priority is 60%. Whereas the attacking unit is 40% of the training.

image.png.f2ee8cc94711590e1d1ee29358a09b69.png

Thank You! it makes sense now

@kertiek I had to remove your question because it exceeds the rather narrow purpose of this thread (short and simple questions that can be answered by as short and simple answers).

Yours requires more than that and therefore you need to start your own separate thread.

3 hours ago, kevaggel said:

Is that a bug or my next opposition scout is bad ?

I am talking about the role (mezzala) of number 47 Badelj.
b9f905af2e292722b73fcb3acde77057.png

If it's a bug then i 'll go to report it.

Looks like a bug, as a mezzala from a central spot isn't possible. Could just be saying that is that particular players best role, but it has the positions of him and CML wrong.

Where can I find more information on footedness of a player that's already on my team. I can find their preferred foot, but what I want to see is what their weak foot ability is. For example, I want to know if it's decent enough to consider training them to be either footed, or if they are just so bad at their weak foot they will always be one footed, and then maybe train them to use the outside of their foot.

31 minutes ago, 04texag said:

Where can I find more information on footedness of a player that's already on my team. I can find their preferred foot, but what I want to see is what their weak foot ability is. For example, I want to know if it's decent enough to consider training them to be either footed, or if they are just so bad at their weak foot they will always be one footed, and then maybe train them to use the outside of their foot.

I don't know if this has changed in FM21 (as I am still on FM20), but that information can normally be found in the player profile>Development>Tactics. There you can see how good or bad his weaker foot is.

30 minutes ago, 04texag said:

Development Tab > Tactics.

That's all that's been stated on player footedness. From my experience if a player has a 'Reasonable' weaker foot then it can be improved m otherwise, it takes significant effort that may not pay off.

5 hours ago, Gbrexiton said:

When is it best to use tight marking?

There is no "best" or "worst" in FM, but basically tight marking works better when you play a more defensive style of football in a bottom-heavy formation and compact defensive shape.

For more details or advice, you'll have to start a separate thread. 

15 hours ago, r_amanze said:

Could someone please give me their thoughts on which type of tactical set-up suits the ‘Be More Disciplined’ team instruction?

On the face of it, the BMD instruction would seem to be more suited to rather defensive tactical styles. And in some cases it is true .However, there are situations (tactics) in which the use of such an instruction can lead to tactical overkill and actually prove counterproductive. Because all elements of a tactic are highly interconnected, so there are (too) many factors you need to think about and take into account.

For example, lower team mentalities already discourage creative freedom, so adding the BMD instruction could be a bit too much. On the other hand, if you play on a high mentality and use a number of highly creative and roaming roles, the BMD can sometimes be a good idea, so that your tactical setup would not lose its structure completely.

Basically, there are many nuances that can make a difference in one way or the other. 

6 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

On the face of it, the BMD instruction would seem to be more suited to rather defensive tactical styles. And in some cases it is true .However, there are situations (tactics) in which the use of such an instruction can lead to tactical overkill and actually prove counterproductive. Because all elements of a tactic are highly interconnected, so there are (too) many factors you need to think about and take into account.

For example, lower team mentalities already discourage creative freedom, so adding the BMD instruction could be a bit too much. On the other hand, if you play on a high mentality and use a number of highly creative and roaming roles, the BMD can sometimes be a good idea, so that your tactical setup would not lose its structure completely.

Basically, there are many nuances that can make a difference in one way or the other. 

Appreciate the detailed response thanks.

We all know what the lines represent and how they work, and the arrows for width too but has there been an article or thread that goes on to explain what the different "shaded" parts of the pitch in this section of the tactics UI work:

image.png.5c88e5ebc02f96edc61d4e54f78154f9.png

I was always curious about what they represent gameplay-wise but never really gave it much thought.

Edited by witticism

On 19/11/2020 at 08:01, Bakiano said:

FM21 related.

I am conceding a lot of goals from ball over the top. I play higher DL, offside trap, force opposition outside and tight marking. My two CB-s(playing 433 DM) are fast and whenever I play against a faster attacker, he just escapes them and usually scores.

What to do here? To remove offside trap or lower the DL or just mark the attacker?

Do u prevent the opposition keepers taking short kicks? Always uncheck that if the opposition has a beast target man or super quick forwards and the long ball is effective 

I think people leave that on even when the opposition has poor cbs. Your better off letting their keeper pass short to them and then press the cbs or off their poor passes

14 hours ago, witticism said:

We all know what the lines represent and how they work, and the arrows for width too but has there been an article or thread that goes on to explain what the different "shaded" parts of the pitch in this section of the tactics UI work:

image.png.5c88e5ebc02f96edc61d4e54f78154f9.png

I was always curious about what they represent gameplay-wise but never really gave it much thought.

The upper exclamation mark indicates the final third and the lower one represents your defensive third. 

@niv1996 Your question requires analysis of your tactic, so it cannot be answered here. Please start your own separate thread topic, post a screenshot of your tactic and ask again there :thup:

P.S: I'll send you a copy of your question so that you would not need to write it again. 

19 minutes ago, witticism said:

What's the collective wisdom on improving a player's consistency?

image.png.13b6f016dbc5ded704fd3bfe0e1c70b9.png

As far as I know there is no direct method to solve this so I am curious how everyone else works with/around it?

You can't, at most it improves 1 or 2 points over 20 during their career.

So if you want to have that player, you have to assume that he will have off games here and there, or often in that case as it is Red.

8 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

You can't, at most it improves 1 or 2 points over 20 during their career.

So if you want to have that player, you have to assume that he will have off games here and there, or often in that case as it is Red.

Thats what I thought, I dont often pay attention to it specially if the player is good enough

26 minutes ago, witticism said:

What's the collective wisdom on improving a player's consistency?

image.png.13b6f016dbc5ded704fd3bfe0e1c70b9.png

As far as I know there is no direct method to solve this so I am curious how everyone else works with/around it?

A player can improve consistency by playing consistently well. It can also decline if performances are inconsistent. By just how much it can improve, I unfortunately do not know.

I noticed 1 player in my FM20 save who never had anything mentioned about Consistency (so it was average) and eventually (after me struggling to get the best out of him) the coach report mentioned he's "fairly inconsistent", so it declined from where it was.

3 minutes ago, witticism said:

Thats what I thought, I dont often pay attention to it specially if the player is good enough

For me this and dreads big games are a deal breaker, I want my players being consistent throughout the year. There is massive differences in team performance with inconsistent players and consistent ones.

Just now, Johnny Ace said:

Well I'll be dammed, I always thought consistency was a static attribute. Every day's a school day  

Important Matches work in a similar way as well, but just the important matches and the performances in them count.

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

Important Matches work in a similar way as well, but just the important matches and the performances in them count.

This, again is completely new to me, thanks!!

Does injury proneness work the same?  

2 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

One could imagine that successive injuries (and severity of injuries) would negatively affect the susceptibility of future injuries 

Unrelated, this just happened and I have never seen it before:

image.png.626b6a47188a0782b3a47ebb5d3ff0dc.png

image.png.111b22d90d0f2a35fd006ed7abfabc29.png

4 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

AFAIK, it does. @Seb Wassellcan maybe just confirm, to be safe. I am sure I can remember a post about a player picking up a lot of injuries and then gaining the 'is fairly prone to injuries' tag. Will try and search for something more concrete if I get time.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

Well if they struggle to be consistent, is difficult to be consistent during matches 😅

I guess you will have to play that player in a level down for him to try to improve in that area, but it will be at the expense of development...

Am I right in my assumptions?

18 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

Well if they struggle to be consistent, is difficult to be consistent during matches 😅

It might be difficult, but can depend on how the player is utilised. Better players around him can help his own performances too. 

19 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

I guess you will have to play that player in a level down for him to try to improve in that area, but it will be at the expense of development...

I would assume this works too, yes.

---

An inconsistent player in FM is a player who often doesn't play to his full ability. It doesn't indicate how well he will perform. How good he actually is, how well he's used etc will all contribute to the actual performance in a match.

42 minutes ago, Ewan0404 said:

Playing as Everton and struggling to get the best out of James and Richarlison, whereas DCL is on fire just now. 

I wonder if someone can share some advice on how they could get these 3 all working well together. 

Would suggest opening a new thread to discuss your tactical issues or having a look in the Everton team thread in this section (I assume there is a thread for FM21 Everton) here: https://community.sigames.com/forum/22-good-player-team-guide/

Could someone explain defensive width for me? As in the key differences between force opposition inside or outside? I understand that by the label they're rather self-explanatory, but I don't fully get it. 

Is it as simple as formations with multiple wide players, all else being equal, should like to force opposition outside where they  have numbers and vice versa?

In my first team Coaching Responsibilities view I see u23 coaches as well as my regular coaches. Do the u23 coaches perform in the same way as a regular coach, in terms of time and effort they can provide? I just want to check because I have a u23 coach assigned to one of the training areas and I don't want players losing out because the u23 coach actually spends more time with the u23 team and less with the first team.

Any  advice on how this works would be much appreciated. Thanks