Explosion in London Underground

defusion

Actually I did notice that in most of the scenes, the silence began with the chiming of the 12pm bells, but nobody quite knew when it had finished icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neilstudd:

It was a statement, not an argument icon14.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Calling those who didn't observe it in Edgware Road c*nts is a little provactive towards an arguement, no?

Anyways, lots of people came out of office to observe although I'm pretty sure it was longer than 2 minutes as we had no signal as to start and end time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neilstudd:

wow, look at all the c*nts in edgware road who didn't stop for the silence icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why should they if they dont wont to? Same old tired argument. Minutes silences suck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it would be nice for them just to do that 1 tiny little thing as a mark of respect. Time to gather thoughts and think about the big wide world.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cockney Cobbler:

It was a statement, not an argument icon14.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Calling those who didn't observe it in Edgware Road c*nts is a little provactive towards an arguement, no?

Anyways, lots of people came out of office to observe although I'm pretty sure it was longer than 2 minutes as we had no signal as to start and end time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yea, we were out there for at least 5 minutes. Well enough time to start and finish a ciggy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Big Eric!:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

wow, look at all the c*nts in edgware road who didn't stop for the silence icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why should they if they dont wont to? Same old tired argument. Minutes silences suck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it would be nice for them just to do that 1 tiny little thing as a mark of respect. Time to gather thoughts and think about the big wide world. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not if they don't want to.

I really wish they'd start hitting people with £250 fines for leaving luggage unattended in tube stations. I had a go at this stupid woman in Victoria who left her bags outside a shop while she went inside yesterday.

The number of security alerts is ridiculous.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Police evacuate Leeds residents

Streets have been cordoned off and residents are being evacuated from an area of Leeds where one of the London bombers used to live.

Two double decker buses are being used to move residents out of their homes in the city's Beeston area, near the home of suicide bomber Shehzad Tanweer.

Police have told residents to pack enough clothes for three days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Three days? icon_redface.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I live half a mile from there, but im on the other side of a park so shouldnt be affected.

Theres 2 sides of Beeston...the nice part where I live icon14.gif and the murdering (3 in 18 months)/terrorism side. icon13.gif

Quite agree is 2 mins of someones time too much to show a bit of respect ffs. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BUD THE WEISER:

Quite agree is 2 mins of someones time too much to show a bit of respect ffs. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's personal choice.

Suicide bombs go off all the time around the world. We only give minute silences to things that are deemed important, i.e. OUR own lives or what is deemed newsworthy enough. Kind of demonstrates that we only give thought to things when it affects us.

I observed it, but didn't go outside.

So wait a minute, are Londoners brave for carrying on as usual in the face of terrorism's aftermath, or aren't they? icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> There was one c0ck that decided it'd be funny to break dance in the middle of the strand! but he was swiftly arrested by police. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This guy is basically my hero. :*****)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bert Preast:

Fourth bomber named as Lindsey Jermaine, Jamaican origin, of Aylesbury. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be the bloke who got on at Luton? My geography of the south isn't that great

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gavinho:

If you go through the first few pages it's remarkable how accurate pjburrages posts are.

Is he...

Working for the police/government?

Working in a press office?

The Master Bomber? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually none of the above. I'm just a student sitting at home with a fast internet connection.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Emperor Palpatine:

It was weird out in Upper Street, with cars just stopped in the middle of the road and that.

Only saw 1 biker ignore it down our stretch, and he looked confused by the whole thing... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that why the whole street was shut down by the police? I couldn't get to work the usual way because upper street had been shut down by the police and when I arrived loads of people were just looking down the road (but I couldn't what they were looking at)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bert Preast:

Fourth bomber named as Lindsey Jermaine, Jamaican origin, of Aylesbury. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Drive past the guys house everyday for work, i heard it first when down the pub so we took a drive down to the area, was like we were in the middle of delhi. was gonna record a video going past it, but thought that wasn't wise.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gavinho:

you were able to sift through the b*llocks sky news were spouting very well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's probably because I wasn't watching Sky News, and just flicking between the terrestrial channels.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Emperor Palpatine:

It was weird out in Upper Street, with cars just stopped in the middle of the road and that.

Only saw 1 biker ignore it down our stretch, and he looked confused by the whole thing... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that why the whole street was shut down by the police? I couldn't get to work the usual way because upper street had been shut down by the police and when I arrived loads of people were just looking down the road (but I couldn't what they were looking at) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone had got hit by a bus and they cordoned it all off so that an air ambulance could land on Upper Street.

Was kinda cool in a way.

• SI Staff

I've not been able to get on the Sky News website for nearly an hour now. Is it the same for everyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't either just get

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Network Error (gateway_error)

An error occurred attempting to communicate with an HTTP or SOCKS gateway.

The gateway may be temporarily unavailable, or there could be a network problem.

For assistance, contact your network support team.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ooh aah ray parlour:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Was that why the whole street was shut down by the police? I couldn't get to work the usual way because upper street had been shut down by the police and when I arrived loads of people were just looking down the road (but I couldn't what they were looking at) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone had got hit by a bus and they cordoned it all off so that an air ambulance could land on Upper Street.

Was kinda cool in a way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I missed the air ambulance icon_frown.gif

Hope the guy is ok though icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Bacon:

Of all the things they used to start and end the 2 mins silence at work, they choose the fecking fire alarm. Twice i **** myself icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did anyone start shouting 'Fire, Fire'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BoroPhil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Bacon:

Of all the things they used to start and end the 2 mins silence at work, they choose the fecking fire alarm. Twice i **** myself icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did anyone start shouting 'Fire, Fire' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We were warned before hand thats its to start/end the minutes silence, still made me jump tho.

Dunno what would of happened if there actually was a fire icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BoroPhil:

Did anyone start shouting 'Fire, Fire' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We were warned before hand thats its to start/end the minutes silence, still made me jump tho.

Dunno what would of happened if there actually was a fire icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the tube when theres something as innocuous as a train getting stuck, lines being closed and a station having to be closed they use the blumming emergency alarm!

I really hope that they'll look into that policy now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moshi Moshe Mohammed:

A Jamaican suicide bomber? WTF icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Judging by the views of the UK the Jamaicans I met in Kingston had, I'm not that surprised icon_wink.gif

I'd actually driven around West Yorkshire quite a bit last month. It's quite amazing how sub-continental some of the areas near Leeds are (don't remember their names). You'd think you were in downtown Madras or Lahore. I suppose this brings up the two age-old questions:

-Why wasn't more of an effort made to integrate them with existing British culture.

-To paraphrase a Kashmiri cab-driver, "We only need to have one family member accepted for immigration, and the rest of the family can come to the country and basically bum around." Is it beneficial to the country to have 19 family members that may not contribute to the society, just to get that one doctor or engineer?

I must say, reading the BBC article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4678837.stm), it is pretty weird. We have your classic loser 18-year old teen with an identity crisis who turns Islamic during a trip to Pakistan. But then we have a Jamaican icon_confused.gif, a regular school teacher who was married to another teacher and had a young daughter icon_confused.gif

I guess the fourth guy, the 22-year-old "sports science graduate" who turned religious could more or less fit the same profile as Hasib Hussein -- and they lived half a mile from each other.

Don't really have a point except to say that 3 of these people don't seem to fit our image of a disenfranchised immigrant...

BTW, who were the Madrid bombers? Morroccan, right? Were they Spanish citizens?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

-To paraphrase a Kashmiri cab-driver, "We only need to have one family member accepted for immigration, and the rest of the family can come to the country and basically bum around." Is it beneficial to the country to have 19 family members that may not contribute to the society, just to get that one doctor or engineer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that there is total bollox. There are members of my family in India who'd love to come over here, but can't. They only way they get in is through arranged marriages with British guys, or if they're highly educated (i.e. Doctor, I.T etc.).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Satan, look at my pert arse!:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moshi Moshe Mohammed:

Judging by the views of the UK the Jamaicans I met in Kingston had, I'm not that surprised icon_wink.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? Doesn't seem to fit the Jamaican stereotype I have icon_biggrin.gif And the Jamaican guy at my work (and all other Carribean people I've worked or studied with) are just the most relaxed people in the world.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Satan, look at my pert arse!:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? Doesn't seem to fit the Jamaican stereotype I have icon_biggrin.gif And the Jamaican guy at my work (and all other Carribean people I've worked or studied with) are just the most relaxed people in the world. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kingston's probably slightly different from DC icon_wink.gif

So do you think these were basically the Pakistani-British versions of the Columbine boys? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is exactly the impression I got from the BBC article. But of course the bio sketches they had on them were extremely superficial -- with the usual quotes from neighbours describing them as "nice" and "quiet". Every freakin' neighbour in the world outside of college party towns fits that description. People dont know their neighbours very well in Western countries.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bliss Seeker:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

-To paraphrase a Kashmiri cab-driver, "We only need to have one family member accepted for immigration, and the rest of the family can come to the country and basically bum around." Is it beneficial to the country to have 19 family members that may not contribute to the society, just to get that one doctor or engineer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that there is total bollox. There are members of my family in India who'd love to come over here, but can't. They only way they get in is through arranged marriages with British guys, or if they're highly educated (i.e. Doctor, I.T etc.). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why can't they come on a guest/tourist visa and just stay with you?

So do you think these were basically the Pakistani-British versions of the Columbine boys? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is exactly the impression I got from the BBC article. But of course the bio sketches they had on them were extremely superficial -- with the usual quotes from neighbours describing them as "nice" and "quiet". Every freakin' neighbour in the world outside of college party towns fits that description. People dont know their neighbours very well in Western countries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My neighbours in Kuwait are c*nts.

Neighbour in the States is a good shag when I'm bored icon_smile.gif

Also it's England in particular they feel that way about, and not the US. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there something about the Anglo-Jamaican relationship that I don't know? Maybe Kris can heal the trans-Atlantic tensions through his marriage.

This is exactly the impression I got from the BBC article. But of course the bio sketches they had on them were extremely superficial -- with the usual quotes from neighbours describing them as "nice" and "quiet". Every freakin' neighbour in the world outside of college party towns fits that description. People dont know their neighbours very well in Western countries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My neighbours in Kuwait are c*nts.

Neighbour in the States is a good shag when I'm bored icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

My friend is shagging his neighbour at the moment, out of boredom too. I couldn't do it though 'cause what happens once you're thru? Bit awkward.

Archived