Explosion in London Underground

defusion

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bert Preast:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BoroPhil:

But to be fair the sucide bombers weren't Pakistanis they were born and bred in Britain, so that argument really doesn't wash. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> More seriously, being disruptive in class isn't being anti western, even for a Paki.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Referring to the 18yr old bomber? He wasn't from Pakistan, so by your definition he can't be a 'Paki'. He was as British as me.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bert Preast:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BoroPhil:

I'm not sure the point is integration, the point is four young men had something to say, but they felt the only way the could say it is through mass murder which is very sad. Maybe we should be looking at giving young muslims more of a voice - letting them air their greivances - then perhaps they would be less frustrated and less likely to blow people up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What they had to say was that we should destroy the jews and live under sharia law. **** 'em, tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

who has said anything about "us" living under sharia law? certainly not any al qaida statement I've seen.

You are misunderstanding again! I am talking about your average British Muslim, not your radicalised Muslim. The point is making sure they don't turn into a radicalised Muslim. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I too have grasped that concept. Letting in mad imams doesn't seem to have helped though, does it?

You are misunderstanding again! I am talking about your average British Muslim, not your radicalised Muslim. The point is making sure they don't turn into a radicalised Muslim. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I too have grasped that concept. Letting in mad imams doesn't seem to have helped though, does it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I don't disagree there. The problem we have is these 'mad imams' in some cases are the only people willing to listen to these young people. That's why they have the opportunity to brainwash them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A-Team:

who has said anything about "us" living under sharia law? certainly not any al qaida statement I've seen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My apologies. Al Qaeda will love us as soon as the jews are dead the east and Africa is under islamic theocracies.

But actually mate, we're discussing Hizb-ut-Tahrir.

Well, I don't disagree there. The problem we have is these 'mad imams' in some cases are the only people willing to listen to these young people. That's why they have the opportunity to brainwash them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Christ then, for the fifth time, what more could we do to make them feel at home?

Yes, I too have grasped that concept. Letting in mad imams doesn't seem to have helped though, does it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. How exactly did that mad moroccan (?) guy who got kicked out of Jordan (no-one make a joke icon_mad.gif) for inciting hatred get let into this country? I don't read the Mail and I'm genrally positive towards immigration but what the f*ck are we doing? He came in as a "political refugee" ffs. Don't we vet political refugees political beliefs?

Well, I don't disagree there. The problem we have is these 'mad imams' in some cases are the only people willing to listen to these young people. That's why they have the opportunity to brainwash them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Christ then, for the fifth time, what more could we do to make them feel at home? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Give them a voice and listen to them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A-Team:

who has said anything about "us" living under sharia law? certainly not any al qaida statement I've seen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My apologies. Al Qaeda will love us as soon as the jews are dead the east and Africa is under islamic theocracies.

But actually mate, we're discussing Hizb-ut-Tahrir. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not really familiar with them but their goal seems to be a single caliphate in the middle east. once again nothing about "us" killing jews or living under sharia law.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by super_imps:

Yes. How exactly did that mad moroccan (?) guy who got kicked out of Jordan (no-one make a joke icon_mad.gif) for inciting hatred get let into this country? I don't read the Mail and I'm genrally positive towards immigration but what the f*ck are we doing? He came in as a "political refugee" ffs. Don't we vet political refugees political beliefs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It might have caused a minor demonstration if we kept him out. The outlook seems to have been "anything for a quiet life".

Give them a voice and listen to them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm, the boss of the Muslim Council of Britain was knighted last week. What do you want?

Give them a voice and listen to them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm, the boss of the Muslim Council of Britain was knighted last week. What do you want? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He is hardly living in the slums of Bradford.

not really familiar with them but their goal seems to be a single caliphate in the middle east. once again nothing about "us" killing jews or living under sharia law. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Their stated goal is an islamic world. They don't even bother to make any bones about it.

He is hardly living in the slums of Bradford. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure I can grasp your point. We should knight some random slum dwellers to perk 'em up a bit?

not really familiar with them but their goal seems to be a single caliphate in the middle east. once again nothing about "us" killing jews or living under sharia law. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cop some of this, son. icon14.gif

He is hardly living in the slums of Bradford. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure I can grasp your point. We should knight some random slum dwellers to perk 'em up a bit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, no I'm sure the head of the Muslim council has a voice, but the disaffected young muslims who live in poverty don't have a voice.

Haha, no I'm sure the head of the Muslim council has a voice, but the disaffected young muslims who live in poverty don't have a voice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Much the same as the disaffected young everyone else, then?

Like I already said, your political system isn't exactly conducive to political representation for minority groups... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh? I believe in global secular democracy and free trade, don't I?

Haha, no I'm sure the head of the Muslim council has a voice, but the disaffected young muslims who live in poverty don't have a voice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Much the same as the disaffected young everyone else, then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed. Which is why the BNP and other racist is mainly young white men living in poor areas.

However, in light of recent events I think we should be making young muslims our priority.

Like I already said, your political system isn't exactly conducive to political representation for minority groups... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not at a national level, but it is slightly better at a local level.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheCranker:

I still don't see the problem. I don't see why the people attending this meeting are any different to a meeting of christian fundamentalists and they don't worry me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would they worry you if they'd flown airliners into towers? If they had made their own insane state and were busily persecuting anyone who didn't like it?

How on earth can you compare the two? I mean, I hate christians as much as the next man, but puuulease. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A hand full of people flew airplanes into buildings. Do the maths you seem so interesting in and see how many that leaves who haven't.

However, in light of recent events I think we should be making young muslims our priority. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well obviously. We should be making it a priority to deport or intern all those we know to be loonies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheCranker:

A hand full of people flew airplanes into buildings. Do the maths you seem so interesting in and see how many that leaves who haven't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like a hanfull took over Afghanistan? Try again.

Eh? I believe in global secular democracy and free trade, don't I? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm talking about the 2 party system.

Anyone read the Daily Mirror today about the guy who did not want to be identified saying he would go to a better place if he would become a hero and kill innoccent people by killing himself icon_frown.gif.Brainwashed is the word that believing you go to paradise with 75 virgins awaiting for you it said icon13.gif.

Why doesn't this guy just mention the names of these people who tried to brainwash him? icon_mad.gif

A hand full of people flew airplanes into buildings. Do the maths you seem so interesting in and see how many that leaves who haven't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like a hanfull took over Afghanistan? Try again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try again what? You're trying to make the argument that all fundamentalists are the same based on the actions of the extremities in completely different environments. Thought you said you like shades of grey? You need to stay away from the BNP sites. You're starting to believe the ***** they're feeding you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Synthahols_for_Girls:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Guy From The Sunny Place:

Anyone mentioned the fact that the US did not habve a 2 minute silence.

The non-Americans do not deserve the American's silence. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not yet met an American who can shut up for 2 mins TBH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've never been to Maine then.

FWIW:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Far right and football gangs plot 'revenge'

Police monitor anti-Muslim websites

Hugh Muir

Friday July 15, 2005

The Guardian

Plans by an alliance of rightwing extremists and football hooligans to exact "revenge" on Muslims after last week's bomb attacks are being monitored by police.

The Guardian has learned that extremists are keen to cause widespread fear and injury with attacks on mosques and high-profile "anti-Muslim" events in the capital.

Football hooligans communicating over the internet have spoken of the need to put aside partisan support for teams and unite against Muslims. Hooligans from West Ham, Millwall, Crystal Palace and Arsenal are among those seeking to establish common cause.

As part of wider plans to generate a backlash, rightwing groups such as the Nationalist Alliance and the National Front are said to be planning marches. Extremists hope to hold a march along Victoria Embankment in London tomorrow.

It is also known that many mosques have received bomb threats since the attacks.

Attempts by the right to make capital out of the tragedy have created a powderkeg. Already extremist Islamist websites have told Muslims to be ready to retaliate.

The BNP has sought to capitalise on the atrocities by reproducing a picture of the bombed No 30 bus with the headline "Maybe Now It's Time To Listen To The BNP" in its byelection literature in Barking, Essex.

The tactic prompted cross-party condemnation. Though it was designed to increase support for the far-right, many believe the message may have been too crass and too badly timed to work. The party does, however, enjoy some support in the area.

Gerry Gable, of the anti-fascist organisation Searchlight, said: "There is no doubt that the far-right are playing this for all they think it is worth. If you look at the BNP website there's Nick Griffin saying 'be calm' and other material saying 'don't get angry, get even!'"

He added: "These things should be taken seriously. One site, Blood and Honour, had a posting about a mosque in the Wirral and soon after the mosque was hit. Soon after, the posting was taken down."

The police have pledged to crack down on any attempts to provoke division in the aftermath of the bombs. Members of Scotland Yard's independent advisory group have been asked to liaise with borough commanders in the capital to reassure the public and make sure the police carry out their pledges. The Met has said from the outset that the bombs were an attack on all communities and that none should be scapegoated.

The synergy between rightwing extremists and football hooligans is not new. Throughout the 1980s, some of the biggest clubs in Britain were plagued by notoriously violent and racist followers.

Though virtually all clubs have since challenged the behaviour of extremist fans, and almost all now belong to the Kick Racism Out of Football initiative, violent followers continue to communicate with each other and supporters from other clubs to engineer confrontations.

The prospect of the opening day Championship fixture between Leeds and Millwall in August is already causing concern.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has this one been reported yet?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

UK Muslim leader barred from US

British Muslim leader Sheikh Dr Zaki Badawi has said he has been refused entry to the US without explanation.

The head of the Muslim College said he flew from London to New York to give a lecture at the Chautauqua Institution in New York but was turned back.

Dr Badawi said he was detained for six hours on Wednesday and that immigration staff were "very embarrassed".

US Immigration and Customs Enforcement said it had information indicating Dr Badawi was "inadmissible".

Spokeswoman Janet Rapaport said that when problems arose at JFK airport, Dr Badawi voluntarily withdrew his application to enter the country and returned home.

"We cannot disclose the information which led to the application being inadmissible because of privacy rules," she added.

Dr Badawi, who is also a leader of the Council of Mosques and Imams, had been due to give a talk entitled The Law and Religion in Society.

Mike Sullivan, of the Chautauqua Institution, said all he knew was that Dr Badawi was back in London.

"We have no explanation as to why this happened," he said.

Dr Badawi appeared with fellow British faith leaders, including the Archbishop of Canterbury, on Sunday to deliver a joint statement condemning last week's "evil terrorist" attacks on London.

He most recently visited the US in 2003 - in the same year he was a guest of the Queen at a state banquet for US President George Bush. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go America!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

It was mentioned on the news last night that people knew that one of the bombers had been regularly taking trips to Pakistan and Afghanistan to attend training camps.

Now at which point do you apportion some of the blame to these people for not notifying anyone about his activities?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

I dunno how many people are being wise after the event? One of the guys had gone to pakistan for religious studies, now everyone is going to say in hindsight he went there to be trained. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was he the one who wanted to be able to recite the entire Koran from memory?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

I dunno how many people are being wise after the event? One of the guys had gone to pakistan for religious studies, now everyone is going to say in hindsight he went there to be trained. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been telling people this for years.

just reading this on the bbc website

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A suspected al-Qaeda member entered the UK via a Channel port two weeks before the bombings, but was not put under surveillance. He flew out a couple of hours before the bombs went off </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

now surely the intelligence agency have gotta take some responsibility if this is true?

If Al-Qaeda is known to pose a threat, and this person was known to be part of their group (/ideal/ whatever) before entering teh country then his movements/actions should be monitored.

no?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bliss Seeker:

If Al-Qaeda is known to pose a threat, and this person was known to be part of their group (/ideal/ whatever) before entering teh country then his movements/actions should be monitored.

no? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not just not let him in at all?

Why not just not let him in at all? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not send him to Gitmo?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Guy From The Sunny Place:

Er, we don't have a tradition of nation-wide moments of silence. There was a moment of silence during the baseball All-Star game and God Save the Queen was also played.

Nice try.

I'm guesing the "suspected" part is the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why is it a problem?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew K:

Why not just not let him in at all? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not send him to Gitmo? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or just shoot the bugger?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew K:

I'm guesing the "suspected" part is the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why is it a problem? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We like to have trials over here for that kind of thing.

We like to have trials over here for that kind of thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since when? Hundreds were arrested without trial during WWII, which allowed Britain to roll up the entire Nazi spy network in the UK.

Er, we don't have a tradition of nation-wide moments of silence. There was a moment of silence during the baseball All-Star game and God Save the Queen was also played.

Nice try. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And frankly, I don't see why we had to make such a fecking huge deal of it in this country. London's been bombed loads of times, why was this one so special that we had to do one of our rare "oh, lets all grieve as a nation" moments?

Archived