Faversham FC - the 3 lions of kent

leovii

BACKGROUND Faversham_Town_F_C_logo.jpg

The club was formed in 1884, entering the Kent League in 1894. In those early years they played under a variety of names including Faversham Invicta, Faversham Railway and Faversham Rangers as well as Faversham Town.

The Lilywhites joined the original Kent League in 1949 and played there, without any great success, until it folded ten years later. Records are unclear as to what the club did next, but in 1966 a new incarnation of the Kent League was formed, with Faversham as one of the founder members. They played in this league until 1971 when, after two successive championships, they became founder members of the new Metropolitan–London League. Two years later they were on the move again, this time to the Athenian League, where they played for three seasons before rejoining the Kent League.

In the Lilywhites' second season back in the Kent League they were champions, a feat they repeated in 1990, but in 2003 they were forced to resign from the league midway through the season. Strangely the league opted not to expunge their record but rather to decide the final table on an "average points per game" basis.

The ground fell into disrepair, but was renovated in the spring of 2005 by a committed group of local people.

Faversham Town rejoined the Kent County League for the 2005-06 season, winning promotion to the Kent League at the first attempt. Four years later they won the Kent League meaning they now play in the Isthmian League Division One South for 2011–12.

Fav_Town.jpg

jpg image hosting

PRE SEASON 2011/2012

Stadium Capacity 2000 - Semi pro club with minimal training and youth setup - media prediction being 18th (set to mid table finish) - transfer budget 8k - wage budget £489

- I have decided to release the majority of players from the squad all except youth players which have been demoted to the under 19's.

- players in 18 - players out 11 - highest earner CD Matt Bourne £80pw

- no background staff changes

- Formation 4-1-3-2 with anchor man,short passing, slow tempo,rigid,narrow

- Key players THOMAS GILBERTSON M/FRC ANDRAS MOLNAR CD ADRIAN STONE SC DANNY GRIEVES DMC

- Captain STEVE HEFFER Vice Captain DANNY HOCKTON

Faversham_Town_Squad_Players.jpg Faversham_Transfers_History.jpg

The tactic employed worked well in pre season friendlies we played most teams in or around the ryman league won 5 out the 8 games with our biggest win against redbridge bein 4-1 our only loss came against AFC sudbury who played a very attacking direct 443 which has made me realise that i might struggle against these style of teams we lost 2-1 but should of been more as they looked dangerous every time they attacked. Faversham_Town_Tactics_Overview.jpg

August 2011

With my first league game (SITTINGBOURNE) approaching things are looking good most teams struggled to break me down in friendles whilst i looked dangerous at times with my possesion football so i am confident in trying to get a flying start in the league. There are no injuries and everyones condition looks great with morale high

Sittingbourne_v_Faversham_Information_Overview.jpg

the game was pretty drab but an excellent run and finish from Clunie put me 1-0 up early in the second half only which i then decided to drop even deeper and go on the counter which paid dividends as i kept a clean sheet and knicked a second goal late on from a DFREEFICK through my midfielder Nick Heath.

Faversham_v_Hythe_Information_Overview.png

upload images

i struggled in my first home to hythe with my team lacking creativity and fluidity a scrambled poachers effort from OKIKE put me 1-0 up only to get pegged back mins later by slack defending at a corner. I gave an aggressive team talk at full time stating the level of performace was unnacceptable as Hythe are the pre season relegation favourites everyone seemed fired up for the next game though.

Bognor_Regis_v_Faversham_Information_Overview.png

image host

A great result considering we was away tot he pre season favourites there squad of players where far more technically gifted than mine but out team unit overcame this and we dominated the game from start to finish. My huge target man Adrain Stone getting man of the match.

Adrian_Stone_Overview_Profile.png

jpeg image hosting

Faversham_v_Whyteleafe_Information_Overview.png

upload images

another great victory and my first home one of the season hopefully many more to come most pleasing thing about the performace was the fact whyteleafe didnt even have a shot and my mid/striker Gilbertson run them ragged

SEPTEMBER 2011

What a month so many highlights im starting to think its too easy but theres a long way to go. My team looks so solid defensively and fluent in attack lol well more set pieces and deep crosses id say 3/4 of my goals come from crosses or pens lol.

Burgess_Hill_v_Faversham_Information_Overview.jpg

DANNY HOCKTON 5 GOALS IN ONE GAME (4 PENS)

My team went storming up the league and got through the 1st and 2nd qualifying rounds of the fa cup beating poole town and lower league guisborough. It wasnt plain sailing though i came back from 2-0 down in the replay with 10 men against poole town scoring in extra time to win it.

Poole_Town_v_Faversham_Split_View.jpg

I win my first manager of the month award of my career

Lee_Hoffer_News_Inbox_6.jpg

not really suprising after ive comfortably won all my league matches and sit 4 points clear of the ryman south.

Ryman_Isthmian_League_Division_One_South_Overvi.png

hosting images

OCTOBER 2012

A mixed month with highs and lows the wins i did get where more of a grind and the goals seem to be drying up. I think many teams play more defensive against me now so i need to counter act this for the rest of the season. I'm still top after 2 wins 2 loses and a draw in the league all the games where pretty tight to be fair not like earlier in the season where i was steam rolling teams.I think its due to a mixture ,natural dip in form and tiredness im playing some of my main men on 80 percent fitness some games due to the fixture pile up and lack of quality cover.

Faversham_Town_Fixtures_Fixtures_2.png

hosting images

I got through 2 more rounds of the fa cup with impressive results against billericay and stourbridge both in the league equivalents above only to get knocked out to a lower league team just before the first round where the money gets more serious.

Faversham_Town_Fixtures_Fixtures_2.png

hosting images

image hosting jpeg

Jack what is your brothers name? is he in the si database if so ill resign him :D

Nah he moved to Australia a few years ago, he got offered a trial at Sydney FC but turned it down. :D

Good to see you doing well in the league, shame you never made it to FA cup 1st round.

December 2011

I Lost my big target man Adrian Stone on a free due to him being on a non contract and refusing to sign a part time one. He scored 10 in 18 games now plays for Billericay who are in league above. My club captain wants to leave also (STEVE HEFFER) due to him being unhappy due to lack of first team football he even asked for mutual termination but i will wait for jan to get a replacement first.

Only 4 fixtures in December which was a Mix of results in league and cup again my team has become more inconsistent

H Maidstone W3-1 Docker,Hockton

H Godalming L1-3 OkikeAlan Boom Cup 4th Round

A Sittingbourne D0-0

H Hythe D3-3 Hockton,Gilbertson,Okike

Kesandu_Okike_Overview_Attributes.jpgDanny_Hockton_Overview_Attributes.jpgAdam_Docker_Overview_Attributes.jpg

January transfers

Players In

Mark_Druce_Overview_Attributes.jpgBashiru_Alimi_Overview_Attributes.jpgPeter_Adeniyi_Overview_Attributes.jpgALL FREES with adenyi signing a part time contract for me from a rolling contract at Dulwich hamlet

Players out Steve Heffer my captain contract terminated and Adrian stone signed for Billericay,Ertum Artun signing for Eastbourne boro both wouldnt sign p/t contracts for me and where snapped up.

Faversham_Town_Fixtures_Fixtures.jpg January results

Ryman_Isthmian_League_Division_One_South_Overvi.jpgLeague Table

Winning 4 out of 5 games in Jan has kept me top of the league unlucky promotion is getting closer hopefully my team wont collapse as the end gets nearer i now got a set formation 4-1-3-2 and steady squad but will look at recomended frees from scouts to bolster the squad also looking to bring through a couple of youngsters one a 6 foot 8 inch striker lol and another an all round centre back.

Neal_Copeland_Overview_Attributes.jpgKurt_Drury_Overview_Attributes.jpg

February

February was a great month winning my second manager of the month! Had some great results against my promotion rivals Whitehawk and Walton and Hersham winning 3 league games drawing 1

My main man Danny HocktonDanny_Hockton_Overview_Profile.jpgstill banging in the goals many of them crucial too

Walton_Hersham_v_Faversham_Post_Match.png

image hosting png

Still top hopefully i can hang on :cool:

only one team go up automatically!

April 2012

Final month of the season no games in May unless i only make the playoffs.

Faversham_v_Eastbourne_Town_Information_Overvi.png

gif image hosting

This was the biggest game of my season against Ramsgate with them 4 points behind me with a game hand i knew i had to get a point at least.

I was undone with a set piece and there was nothing between the sides i even chucked the kitched sink against them last 15 mins to get an equalizier putting 4 upfront but they held out.Ramsgate_v_Faversham_Information_Overview.png

image hosting jpeg

I managed to win my last 2 league games though 1-0 against maidstone away and corinthian casuals at home 3-1 went 3-0 up in first half hour which secured the title and promotion for Faversham

Faversham_v_Corinthian_Casuals_Information_Ove.png

image host

Final League Table 2011/12

upload images

Stadium expansion announced to 1800 to meet Ryman Premier league requirements with 900 terracing, wage budget up to 2k a week which will allow me to attract much better players(triple the budget of last season). No real exciting youth prospects coming through only a few decent ones.

Transfers i could of spent a few grand but didnt also could offer more wages but didnt i wanna try and build up the finances instead to hopefully improve the facilities one day.

Faversham_Transfers_History_3.jpgFaversham_Town_Tactics_Team_Instructions.jpg

2 of my better free signings

Adam_Robinson_Overview_Attributes.jpgSaul_Otobo_Overview_Attributes.jpg

My squad is weak compared to the other teams at this level I will try bring through some youth to cut costs. My top scorer last season Danny Hockton finally singed a new contract as blue square clubs where looking at him. Decided to go with roughly the same formation as last season with just one of my midfielders pushed up to an advanced playmaker still hoping to play slow passing game and be solid defensively. Match preparation will change from attacking set pieces to defending set pieces depending on my opponents throughout the season. Gonna look to see if i can get some young talent too as my facilities are shocking and from my crop last year only one youth player looks half playable.

January 2003

Faversham_Town_Fixtures_Fixtures_2.jpgRyman_Isthmian_League_Premier_Division_Overview.jpg

We doing great in league (5th at xmas) I am cautious about changing my defensive tactics cos we are overachieving so much we hardly concede as well even though we are not free scoring.

Danny Hockton is still my main striker even though he is getting older now i put him on a more intense tech and mental training and reduced his fitness work to try and squeeze some more life out of him.

Danny_Hockton_Overview_Attributes.png

jpg image hosting

This is best my best youth prospect Kurt Drury.The only youth team playermy backroom staff say i should offer a part time contract.Kurt_Drury_Overview_Attributes.png

jpg image hosting Big powerful striker hopefully in the making!

I am still working well within my transfer and wage budgets without spending a penny on transfers and my wage bill is still £800p/w with the board allowing me to go up to 2k. I hope a few of my youngsters progress the second half of the season and will settle for a top half finish as i know my squad is fairly weak. I havent had any job offers as yet even though vacant conference jobs keep getting spoken about in the media my manager reputation has moved up to regional from none. I will be happy to stay at faversham and try and grow a young squad maybe get them in the football league.

May 2013

My lack of quality started to show as the season went on. Even my 43 year old assistant manager Jamie lawrence played a few games when the squad was thin.

Jamie_Lawrence_Overview_Player_Attributes_2.png

adult image hosting

Coming 7th in my first season in the Ryman Premier aint too bad considering i kept my wage budget low as possible and tried to play youth which most of them let me down lol when they got there chance in the first team.It was a shame really that i didnt pick up one point from my final 2 games which cost me a play off place both games i was convincly beaten and made me realise that i will have to pay more in wages next season to get the required quality of player in. I did managed to get extra coaches and backroom staff in the second half of the season which the board finally allowed! on the 3rd time of asking hopefully my youngsters and senior players fitness levels might improve.

Ryman_Isthmian_League_Premier_Division_Overview.png

image hostFaversham_Town_Fixtures_Fixtures_3.png

image hosting

Danny Hockton > http://postimage.org/image/dnrshxfcn/ was my top scorer again but wasnt as proliifc as previous season plus he a year older now

Infact most the older players where my best performers my right back Tom Rutter> http://postimage.org/image/o819h52wd/ who turned 36 and now completed 2 seasons for me and has never let me down yet very consistent. My centre back Robinson> http://postimage.org/image/5h3xkpxpp/ signed on a free from higher league Dartford was also excellent even though im not paying him wages he gets a huge 150 quid apperance fee which i had to offer him to get him to sign. I reckon i could go up next season if i can find a few more decent frees like them ones espicially at this level of football :)

My starting eleven i finsihed the season with > http://postimage.org/image/gw7aryc5n/ I kept the same tactics now for 2 years and if i dont improve on 7th for next season i might change my tactical setup.

Finances aint to sad either im only 71k in debt considering i havent gone deep into the F.A Cup and i average 150 attendances its not to bad. (Gonna do some lucrative friendlies in pre season)

Will update again before first game in season 2013/14 Season 3

August 2013

The summer had me asking my golden oldie right back Tom Rutter> http://postimage.org/image/o819h52wd/ to reconsider retirement which he never. My assistant manager is still prepared to play aged 43 though he in the reserves now after i strengthened heavily in the summer. I also realeased alot of fringe players and poor youth prospects

Faversham_Transfers_History.png

jpg image hosting

Players im hoping to make an impact this season are Miguel lilo http://s7.postimage.org/6298murdn/Miguel_Lil_Overview_Attributes.png an angolan/irish youngster released from Cork City probably the best anchor man in these low levels. Pacey winger Ivan Forbes i would put a pic up but only decent attributes this guy has is pace. People who are fimilar to the lower leagues will know about Kieron Leaborn powerful/striker winger and im hoping he will come up with some goals this season. Troy manning to be the creative side to my midfield even though my assistant manager suggests his best duty is a ball winning midfielder he did this > http://postimage.org/image/m0w5e0jy5/ for dulwich hamlet last season.

Board seem happy and happy about me in charge at the start of season.

Faversham_Boardroom_Confidence.png

image host

I have tried playing more expressive football in the first two fixtures which has backfired both ended up in defeats for me 3-2 loss at Wealdstone and a 1-0 defeat at home to Harlow. With me stating to the board earlier in the summer that I will get in the playoffs this aint a good start im hoping my gamble of more attacking football this season will pay off though as the season continues.

Faversham_v_Harlow_Information_Formations.png

image hosting gif

January 2014

After a terrible start trying to play more attacking football i didnt win any of my first 4 league games. Even though my fans where moaning about the style of play on my board updates. I made the decision to go back to my old rigid passing formations and my results started picking up againFaversham_v_Aveley_Split_View.jpg Ryman_Isthmian_League_Premier_Division_Overview.jpg seeing us rise just outside the play offs 6 points off top just after xmas my new signings have been poor and released many of them in october due to my frustrations with them and went back to last years team that where use to my style of play and tactics. Danny Hockton my journeyman striker hasnt had a great season and seems to struggle getting goals more in open play higher up my new dmc Lilo has been solid and my centre back Robinson a rock as always. After a poor early exit in the F.A cup to lower league opposition we missed out on any chance of getting more income into the club and remain around 80k in debt which has been about the same level for 2 years now.

Aim for second half of the season is too push for playoffs and try bring through a few youngsters as I would like some of my own from my youth setup.

Archived