We'll Never Win Anything With Kids

Nottingham Forest

Chester-FC-2010-Logo-300x300.png

Save Overview

So much like Tactic Master, I'm taking part in this challenge from the Challenges, Sign-Ups & Experiments Forum. Now the team I have started my second attempt with is Chester FC. It was out of them, St Albans or FC United as to who I chose this time round.

My first attempt didn't go to plan and I was Kingstonian. I was sacked after we were relegated, one game before the end of the season. Trying to play the first few months with only 11 fit players which included 3 keepers isn't exactly ideal. Although it was alot of fun.

My second attempt as you now know is with Chester FC. I've holidayed a season as per the rules and having had a look at the current squad I'm quietly confident of being able to make the play-offs.

Game Database

The game database is a fairly small one compared to my usual saves as I only have England(all) loaded in terms of nations and leagues and I have all players from the regional divisions of the leagues directly below the Blue Square North and South. All in all this gives me about 17k players.

Here is my manager profile, club information and club facilities.

I'm already a little bit through pre-season. So the information may not be as much yet. But when I took over our finances were at about £100k and our wage bill was at about £8k. I'm also sure that I've asked for a parent club for some extra revenue. However I can't remember.

I plan on giving monthly updates for the time being. Although that may change.

Pre-Season 2012

With me only able to use youth players from my academy or current players at the club. Pre-season was all about building the club's finances in order for us to able to hopefully get some facility improvements.

The squad I possessed when I took over was a fairly big one and I had the brainwave of arranging friendlies every day from when I took over 25th of June until the end of July. A month of solid fixtures which would hopefully give us some foundations to work with. The plan was to let the players who I planned on letting leave play most of the tougher fixtures that would generate more money and then let my first team squad members play in the games that were pre-set before I took over.

ChesterFixtures_Fixtures.png

ChesterFixtures_Fixtures-2.png

For the second lot of fixtures I decided to go on holiday and let my assistant take charge. I told him to keep the same tactics but to change the side. He did a good job and morale has increased a little bit as well.

My finances for the month have increased a fair bit as well. We're up by £144k or and had I not terminated the contracts of my original assistant and coach then we'd probably be up another £26k or so.

ChesterBoardroom_Finances-2.png

We've also managed to get ourself an extra £10.25k through income due to our affliation with Stevenage.

DesMorganNews_Inbox-5-1.png

August 2012

ChesterFixtures_Fixtures-1.png

What a month! I expected us to be pushing in and around the play-offs for most of the season but to be top after the first month is great. The team seem to have gelled fairly quickly and in three of the games we've had 20+ shots. We owe alot of the wins to our goalscorer this month. He's also picked up my player of the month award for his displays.

League Table

My Player of the Month Award

Jamie Rainford - 5 goals in 4 league games is an incredible start. He seems to have got goals whereever he has gone so hopefully he can continue.

Finances - A loss for this month. Hopefully we can control those losses for the next month and look at ways of increasing our funds again.

September 2012

ChesterFixtures_Fixtures-3.png

The wheels have started to fall off. We just weren't at the races and we struggled in alot of those games. It seems we blow up in the second half in a lot of games if we're leading going in to it. I hope we can deal with the pressure a bit better because if we don't we could find ourselves dropping off the pace even more.

League Table - I forgot guys, sorry. We were about 4th though :thup:.

FA Cup - We played Clitheroe and well, I'm not happy with the result. You can probably see why http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz65/NottinghamForest/ChestervClitheroeInformation_Overview.png[/img]"]here :mad:.

My Player of the Month Award - No one deserves it as we were shocking most of the month.

Finances - Profit!!

October 2012

ChesterFixtures_Fixtures-2-1.png

A big improvement on last month with the only hiccup coming against Colwyn Bay. We seem to be having a lot more players scoring now whicj definitely helps as we're not relying on just one player.

BlueSquareBetNorthOverview_Stages-1.png

Lying 2nd in the table at this early stage of the season is incredible. Especially for a newly promoted side. Whether we can continue that form though is a different matter. I'd love to keep the pressure on and eventually reclaim top spot.

FA Cup - We managed to beat Clitheroe in the replay and we drew Wrexham. Our fierce rivals away and we won. There were alot of non-league clubs in the first round hat. I was hopeful of one of them. But instead I got probably the best team in the first round draw. Charlton :(.

My Player of the Month Award - Chris Simm- He chipped in with some great goals this month and took the pressure off of Rainford and my other strikers.

Finances - A loss I guess but still healthy finances for a club of our standing.

Just a bit of advice, if you don't already know... Send your players on holiday when they need it, as they come back stronger and in the long run you will get better results :) It seemed to have cured my massive slump in form last season and got us through the last hurdle.

I didn't. I used alot of reserve players as I had alot then. In the second screenshot of friendlies I went on holiday and let my assistant pick the team but play to the same tactics.

I was close enough :) I regard my youth players as reserves to be honest as I have a small team, which means the youth play both U18's and Reserves games.

I didn't. I used alot of reserve players as I had alot then. In the second screenshot of friendlies I went on holiday and let my assistant pick the team but play to the same tactics.

Regardless, the quality of opposition would have brought in a lot of extra cash from games no club would ever play.

Chester FC - Blue Square North - 2012-2013

League Table

A season of being consistently inconsistent up until February when we managed to string together a good unbeaten run of 12 games or so to drag ourselves into the Play-offs. We had to do it the hard way as we were chasing FC United for the last 5 games and we had to play 3 teams around us. 2 above us, Guiseley and Hinckley and FC Halifax below us.

Play-off Semi Final 1st Leg

The stats make us look like we were in it. We weren't and we were lucky to only be 2-1 down. Having two key players sent off wasn't helpful. Especially for the second leg.

Play-off Semi Final 2nd Leg

A game in which we were much improved. We had a goal disallowed at the start of the second half for "offside". It was blatently onside and that goal not being given certainly turned the game as they went and scored 2 more. One from a defensive mistake and the other from a penalty. We had more clear chances to score and probably should have scored another 4 more. But whether it be pressure or not, we failed to and fall at this hurdle.

FA Cup

We managed to get from the 2nd Qualifying Round all the way to the 1st Round proper. I was hopeful of an easier side than the one we got as there was many non-league sides still involved. Unfortunately we got one of the best sides in the 1st Round, Charlton Athletic and they well and truly beat us despite us taking the lead through a Matty McGinn free-kick.

FA Trophy

We fell at the 4th Qualifying Round in this competition to FC United during our bad spell. We just couldn't cope and although a trophy and some funds would have been nice, it's not a problem.

Finances

We had a lot of money at the start of the season and now we have next to nothing. We could have a few issues this season with finances as a few senior players will be leaving. I'm tempted to let them leave just before the start of the season so that I can use them and my under 18s that probably won't make the grade to earn us some money.

Transfers - Just to prove I haven't signed anyone.

My Player of the Season

Jamie Rainford - Jamie, much like most of our squad was consistently inconsistent. However, when he played he'd usually get a goal or he'd be key to most of our play.

My Young Player of the Season

There isn't much time for someone to win this. But this guy has done due to the way he's played.

Callum Chester - I was unsure whether or not to give Callum the YP9 tag as I didn't think he could make it. I promoted him to my first team though so he was there and I could use him if need be. Another one of my younger strikers failed to make an impact and I thought why not, throw him in and see what he can do. He scored a brace on his debut and I believe he became the youngest scorer for me or the Blue Square North. He also had a goal disallowed in the 2nd leg against Hinckley which had it gone it could have made the game a bit different.

Next Season

The team is set for next season until about March time. Hoepfully during pre-season we can help those current young players kick on and help them become better players. I'd also like us to have a strong pre-season, both financially and match wise in the hope that I can get another improvement on some of the club's facilities or networking.

Some point last season, I overhauled my backroom staff with the hope of bringing in better quality coaches in order for my players to progress.

I'd figure now is the best time to go through by backroom staff and what training I try get them to take charge of.

Steve Aris - Assistant Manager - Defending

Robert Wright - Coach - Tactics & Ball Control

Ian Kelly - Coach - Aerobic

Alexander Hemsley - Coach - Strength

Clark Coates - Coach - Shooting

Dominic Booth - Coach - Attacking

Rory Riley - Goalkeeping Coach - Shot Stopping & Handling

Steve Whitehall - Physio

Alex Hay - Scout

I prefer realism myself.

What did Forest do?

EDIT: nevermind, I looked up the thread. I'm fine with a few unrealistic friendlies, but maybe one a day is a tad excessive. But it's your game and there is nothing stopping you in the rules :)

Archived