Date: 09 June 2012

Time: 1800 CET

Venue

1723171_w2.jpg

Metalist Stadium, Kharkiv

Capacity: 35,000

Previous meetings

Euro 2000 Group Stage Denmark 0-3 Netherlands

Euro 1992 Semi Final Netherlands 2-2 Denmark (Denmark win 5-4 on pens)

Euro 1968 Qualifying Denmark 3-2 Netherlands, Netherlands 2-0 Denmark

Preview

Netherlands qualified top of Group E with a record of 9W 0D 1L. Denmark qualified top of Group H with a record of 6W 1D 1L.

The Netherlands warmed-up for the tournament with a loss to Bulgaria and victory over Slovakia in May. Denmark warmed-up with a loss to Brazil and a victory over Australia.

The Netherlands beat Denmark in the last meeting between the two teams in their opening group game at WC 2010.

It is 45 years since Denmark's last victory over the Netherlands in October 1967 but they do go into the finals on a run of six competitive games unbeaten (five wins and a draw) since losing 3-1 to fellow Group B team Portugal in qualifying.

The Netherlands won their first nine Euro 2012 qualifiers, but lost the last 3-2 in Sweden.

Squads/teams

No. Netherlands                               Denmark
1.  Maarten Stekelenburg (AS Roma)            Stephan Andersen (Evian)
2.  Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax)               Cristian Poulsen (Evian)
3.  John Heitinga (Everton)                   Simon Kjaer (Wolfsburg)
4.  Joris Mathijsen (Málaga)                  Daniel Agger (Liverpool)
5.  Wilfred Bouma (PSV)                       Simon Poulsen (AZ)
6.  Mark van Bommel (AC Milan)                Lars Jacobsen (Kobenhavn)
7.  Dirk Kuijt (Liverpool)                    William Kvist (Stuttgart)
8.  Nigel de Jong (Manchester City)           Christian Eriksen (Ajax)
9.  Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04)          Michael Krohn-Dehli (Brondby)
10. Wesley Sneijder (Internazionale)          Dennis Rommedahl (Brondby)
11. Arjen Robben (Bayern München)             Nicklas Bendtner (Arsenal)
12. Michel Vorm (Swansea City)                Andreas Bjelland (Nordsjaelland)
13. Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)                     Jores Okore (Nordsjaelland)
14. Stijn Schaars (Sporting Lissabon)         Lasse Schone (Ajax)
15. Jetro Willems (PSV)                       Michael Silberbauer (Young Boys)
16. Robin van Persie (Arsenal)                Anders Lindegaard (Man Utd)
17. Kevin Strootman (PSV)                     Nicklas Pedersen (Groningen)
18. Luuk de Jong (FC Twente)                  Daniel Wass (Benfica)
19. Luciano Narsingh (SC Heerenveen)          Jakub Poulsen (Midtjylland)
20. Ibrahim Afellay (Barcelona)               Thomas Kahlenberg (Evian)
21. Khalid Boulahrouz (VfB Stuttgart)         Niki Zimling (Club Brugge)
22. Tim Krul (Newcastle United)               Kasper Schmeichel (Leicester)
23. Rafael van der Vaart (Tottenham Hotspur)  Tobias Mikkelsen (Nordsjaellan)

Officials

Referee: Damir Skomina (SVN)

Assistant referee: Primož Arhar (SVN) , Matej Žunič (SVN)

Additional assistants: Matej Jug (SVN) , Slavko Vinčić (SVN)

Fourth official: Pavel Kralovec (CZE)

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Dutch will win and I'm sure that is everybody's opinion (well other than Denmark fans ofc)

but something tells me that Denmark might pull off the shock, simply because most people think Holland are going to be going far in this tournament and you could have the possibility of overconfidence in the Dutch ranks

Cheering on the danes for this one...just for the fact I visited Copenhagen and thought it was the best city I've ever been to...COME ON THE MIGHTY DENMARK AND YOUR LOVELY LAGER DRINKING SOCIETY BY THE HABOUR!!!

See us winning, but not with ease...

Our probable line up:

Steek

VD Wiel, Heitinga,, Vlaar, Willems

N. de Jong, Van Bommel

Robben, Sneijder, Afellay

Van Persie

article41_1_1011685d.jpg

A 4-2-3-1 ths.

Us and Denmark both complained about the grass, it was too long and to dry, will see if the UEFA will do something about that.

but something tells me that Denmark might pull off the shock, simply because most people think Holland are going to be going far in this tournament and you could have the possibility of overconfidence in the Dutch ranks

Exactly my idea. I just don't have a good feeling about tonight, not that I'm afraid for the Danish side, but more about the 'arrogance' in our Dutch team. And seen the group, this is a match we need to win. I just cannot see us beating Germany, it just won't happen. And against Portugal will be tough, but somehow I am sure we will snap up a win there.

Lindegaard = 5 caps, Sorensen = 101 caps.

Sorensen was never going to win player of the tournament, but they will be a much weaker defensive unit playing without their usual keeper - even if the replacement is "just as good" on paper.

Exactly my idea. I just don't have a good feeling about tonight, not that I'm afraid for the Danish side, but more about the 'arrogance' in our Dutch team. And seen the group, this is a match we need to win. I just cannot see us beating Germany, it just won't happen. And against Portugal will be tough, but somehow I am sure we will snap up a win there.

I see us winning tonight, although it will by no means be a walk-over. For me it's the game against Portugal I'm worried about.

I really don't get where this arrogance would come from. Last time we met Denmark we beat them, but very narrowly. It would be far from the truth to think that the Dutch team underestimate the Danes, who are simply a solid team.

We are simply not playing all that well lately, that's what worries me. If the Danes score early, we may well see a classic Dutch knocking on the door all game but failing to score type of match. I consider this a must-win match. If either we or the Germans drop points today, Wednesday's game will already be a knock-out game. I'd rather play them under as little pressure as possible...

See us winning, but not with ease...

Our probable line up:

Steek

VD Wiel, Heitinga,, Vlaar, Willems

N. de Jong, Van Bommel

Robben, Sneijder, Afellay

Van Persie

A 4-2-3-1 ths.

Us and Denmark both complained about the grass, it was too long and to dry, will see if the UEFA will do something about that.

You should be able to play everywhere. It's not that Denmark play in another layer of grass. :D

I really don't get where this arrogance would come from. Last time we met Denmark we beat them, but very narrowly. It would be far from the truth to think that the Dutch team underestimate the Danes, who are simply a solid team.

We are simply not playing all that well lately, that's what worries me. If the Danes score early, we may well see a classic Dutch knocking on the door all game but failing to score type of match. I consider this a must-win match. If either we or the Germans drop points today, Wednesday's game will already be a knock-out game. I'd rather play them under as little pressure as possible...

I'm not really saying arrogance with the Dutch team, it's more the case that Denmark might be the easier team to play out of Germany or Portugal which is probably the truth anyway

hope the Dutch win anyway, I've predicted a Holland/Germany Final in my prediction table :D

Interesting to see that the odds on the Dutch have been drifting even though everyone seems to think they'll hammer the Danes. Major question seems to be how bad the Dutch defence will be. Look like the best attacking team in the tournament but look awful at CB in particular.

Interesting to see that the odds on the Dutch have been drifting even though everyone seems to think they'll hammer the Danes. Major question seems to be how bad the Dutch defence will be. Look like the best attacking team in the tournament but look awful at CB in particular.

We're not going to hammer the Danes. We might win against them, but it's not going to be a walk in the park that's for sure. We're also wondering how bad/good our defence now really is.

And otherwise we must do it the Cruyff way: score one more then your opponent.. :D

• SI Staff

The CB position is competent with Heitinga and Mathijsen. Mathijsen is out though, so we've got Vlaar coming in - he's not a bad player, but he's not yet played on this level.

Has a couple of caps, mostly known for completely ballsing up against Italy.

Dying with nerves and anticipation here. Feck it, I'm off to the bar. Have a Maß against the nerves. Strut around Munich in my orange shirt :D

HUP HOLLAND!!

• Administrators

Stekelenburg; Van der Wiel, Heitinga, Vlaar, Willems; Van Bommel, N De Jong; Robben, Sneijder, Afellay; Van Persie

S. Andersen, S Poulsen, Agger, Kjær, Jacobsen, Zimling, Kvist, Krohn-Dehli, Eriksen, Rommedahl, Bendtner

Archived