[Match 4][Group B] Germany vs Portugal 9/6/12 2045CET

sean_oc16

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did, stupidly. Well, not end to end as such but better than what we got...

Group C should be better.

Italy will be camped in their own half against Spain and Ireland will probably try to contain Croatia. I expect the same sort of games tomorrow like we've had today.

People always say "play to your strength's".

Why is it Portugal always play to there weakness?

They have a great attacking team,the best player in the competition but yet they play the defensive game against any decent team,they would be much better of just having a go,the last 20 minutes they were much better than Germany and created a couple of good chances..to little to late.

I did, stupidly. Well, not end to end as such but better than what we got...

Group C should be better.

It was always going to be close because there are three really good teams and one underdog. I'm not holding out much hope for Group C either, especially the Spain vs Italy game. Croatia vs Ireland might be good but I expect the Irish to be ultra defensive.

It was always going to be close because there are three really good teams and one underdog. I'm not holding out much hope for Group C either, especially the Spain vs Italy game. Croatia vs Ireland might be good but I expect the Irish to be ultra defensive.

Ireland will surely not be ultra defensive against Croatia? Can't picture it.

I never expected Germany to play its best football today or in this group simply because of the quality of the group. Their defence won them the game today. Hummels was dominant both in the air and on the ground . If Portugal chose to play how they played after the goal was scored for the whole match, the scoreline could of been different .

Average match.

Germany were average. Luckily for them, Gomez saved the day. Such a deadly striker. The only striker who delivers so far. Müller, though, should learn how to play football with hands. One touch, and he cried like a baby peeing in the diaper.

Portugal were also average, but they were solid at the back. What a world-class defender Alves is. The midfield was also solid, but they missed creativity. Nani should play like he did in the second half from the beginning. FROM THE BEGINNING. Cristiano Ronaldo? Well, it doesn't help if your teammates don't deliver. I always want to see Postiga score, I've waited since 2004 or 2006, and he keeps me waiting. Hope doesn't end, though. To close this paragraph: Varela, oh, Varela.

Disappointed with the result. I think the draw would be more fair.

I guess it's the right punishment. We clearly could've attacked more, but only did it after conceding.

Varela:mad:

Average match.

Germany were average. Luckily for them, Gomez saved the day. Such a deadly striker. The only striker who delivers so far. Müller, though, should learn how to play football with hands. One touch, and he cried like a baby peeing in the diaper.

Portugal were also average, but they were solid at the back. What a world-class defender Alves is. The midfield was also solid, but they missed creativity. Nani should play like he did in the second half from the beginning. FROM THE BEGINNING. Cristiano Ronaldo? Well, it doesn't help if your teammates don't deliver. I always want to see Postiga score, I've waited since 2004 or 2006, and he keeps me waiting. Hope doesn't end, though. To close this paragraph: Varela, oh, Varela.

Wow .

Funny that there are people saying Portugal are creative. Forget the stereotypes. Don't mistake technique with creativity.

Portugal's biggest problem is exactly a big lack of creativity, the only creative midfielder is Hugo Viana who's on the bench. If they tried do dominate possession they would just concede sooner on the counter and still not score any.

Denmark will be tough to beat if they don't make big mistakes.

Funny that there are people saying Portugal are creative. Forget the stereotypes. Don't mistake technique with creativity.

Portugal's biggest problem is exactly a big lack of creativity, the only creative midfielder is Hugo Viana who's on the bench. If they tried do dominate possession they would just concede sooner on the counter and still not score any.

The question though is which one of Veloso, Moutinho or Meireles do you drop for Viana? Meireles seemed to be the one that was trying to bridge the gap to Positga up top whilst the other two were doing a decent enough job (for me anyway) of stopping the pockets of space forming that Ozil loves to play in.

The question though is which one of Veloso, Moutinho or Meireles do you drop for Viana? Meireles seemed to be the one that was trying to bridge the gap to Positga up top whilst the other two were doing a decent enough job (for me anyway) of stopping the pockets of space forming that Ozil loves to play in.

Against Denmark I would drop Veloso, Meireles back to DMC. Having won the first game, they will play even more defensive than usual.

And Oliveira has to start obviously.

Denmark will be tough to beat if they don't make big mistakes.

So untrue.

They don't lack creativity but they are not allowed to show it.

Playing Ronaldo on the left and Nani on the right wing gives you the creativity,they have good centre midfielder's to support them but the fact is they always play deep and counter attack until they are a goal down and then change the tactics.

Once they change the tactics they always seem a better team in creating chances.

Also I do not agree with them playing Ronaldo as a centre forward at times,you need him out wide to set up the chances or grab the chances from out wide when they present themselves.

Is typical from Portugal though,any decent team they play they do not have the confidence to have a proper go,is a shame.

So untrue.

They don't lack creativity but they are not allowed to show it.

Playing Ronaldo on the left and Nani on the right wing gives you the creativity,they have good centre midfielder's to support them but the fact is they always play deep and counter attack until they are a goal down and then change the tactics.

Once they change the tactics they always seem a better team in creating chances.

Also I do not agree with them playing Ronaldo as a centre forward at times,you need him out wide to set up the chances or grab the chances from out wide when they present themselves.

Is typical from Portugal though,any decent team they play they do not have the confidence to have a proper go,is a shame.

The creativity has to be on the middle, not the wings. The wingers should be receiving those killer passes from the middle, not making them. And the 3 midfielders are not creative.

You will see Portugal dominate the match against Denmark possession wise and still struggle to create good chances, unless a goal happens very soon and Denmark push up.

The creativity has to be on the middle, not the wings. The wingers should be receiving those killer passes from the middle, not making them.

Wow honestly?

Are you going to stick with that as your final answer or would you like to call a friend?

Against Denmark I would drop Veloso, Meireles back to DMC. Having won the first game, they will play even more defensive than usual.

And Oliveira has to start obviously.

Just looking at how Denmark lined up against the Dutch (4-2-3-1) could mean that Meireles could stay at MC and just dropping back to pick up Eriksen if and when needed, could help with having an extra body coming forward if there's a long period of possession. Although I don't know whether the Danes will line up the same way the did as today so that point may be moot.

I agree that Oliveira has to start, he was a lot more lively than Postiga when he came on.

He's right though. You have to have a creative central midfielder.

Yeah because having a team that only plays with holding midfielder's that feed the wings,or indeed a team with wing backs feeding the wings would not work.

What I loved was when Klose got shoulder barged by Pepe yet got up immediately to try and win the ball back. 90% of players would've rolled around for a couple of minutes, then gotten up clutching their back and making a face, while laying it into the ref for not giving a free-kick.

Hummels played fantastic tonight I must say, top performance, Portugal did a great job of stopping Germany up top although that wasnt too difficult as Gomez was doing jack all as usual up top, but then the lucky git gets the goal!

The Dutch game will be very interesting now for sure, especially with them needing a win and I think we can really take advantage of that fact and Özil and co can use the gaps.

I thought Neuer did well too and so did Khedira, the rest I think will get better as the tournament goes on, rather have them start playing poorly than playing great to be fair, can work on mistakes etc than if you overpower someone.

3 points tonight, main thing!

Hummels played fantastic tonight I must say, top performance, Portugal did a great job of stopping Germany up top although that wasnt too difficult as Gomez was doing jack all as usual up top, but then the lucky git gets the goal!

WTF, in the first half he hit all of hits shots on target tonight and had his first goal disallowed - because the official decided to stop play after a foul by Raul Meireles on Özil. Plus Müllers crosses did target anything but him. Lahm was unusally rubbish throughout, though. Still, Germany need to pick up where they left off during the qualifiers - the pace, the movement, the interlinking of passes isn't anywhere NEAR where it had been during South Africa 2010 / qualifying campaign to the EURO 2012. Didn't catch the interviews as I watched the match on a birthday party but Löw likely isn't pleased in any kind of way. One of his dictums has it that players aren't allowed to stand stilll after completing a pass... the movement wasn't there.

Still, they won. Holland didn't. End of day 2.

Funny that I find no comments in the thread about that German goal that got chalked off because the ref didn't give the advantage. Atrocious decision, could have cost Germany the points. That was really an absolute standard example of when advantage should be given. It doesn't get more advantageous than a goal FFS :D

Archived