[Match 4][Group B] Germany vs Portugal 9/6/12 2045CET

sean_oc16

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haven't read the thread, but any predictable Ronaldo bashing!? Thought he played quite well actually.

Just the odd Chelsea supporter.

Hummels played fantastic tonight I must say, top performance, Portugal did a great job of stopping Germany up top although that wasnt too difficult as Gomez was doing jack all as usual up top, but then the lucky git gets the goal!

The Dutch game will be very interesting now for sure, especially with them needing a win and I think we can really take advantage of that fact and Özil and co can use the gaps.

I thought Neuer did well too and so did Khedira, the rest I think will get better as the tournament goes on, rather have them start playing poorly than playing great to be fair, can work on mistakes etc than if you overpower someone.

3 points tonight, main thing!

Hummels played fantastic tonight I must say, top performance, Portugal did a great job of stopping Germany up top although that wasnt too difficult as Gomez was doing jack all as usual up top, but then the lucky git gets the goal!

WTF, in the first half he hit all of hits shots on target tonight and had his first goal disallowed - because the official decided to stop play after a foul by Raul Meireles on Özil. Plus Müllers crosses did target anything but him. Lahm was unusally rubbish throughout, though. Still, Germany need to pick up where they left off during the qualifiers - the pace, the movement, the interlinking of passes isn't anywhere NEAR where it had been during South Africa 2010 / qualifying campaign to the EURO 2012. Didn't catch the interviews as I watched the match on a birthday party but Löw likely isn't pleased in any kind of way. One of his dictums has it that players aren't allowed to stand stilll after completing a pass... the movement wasn't there.

Still, they won. Holland didn't. End of day 2.

Funny that I find no comments in the thread about that German goal that got chalked off because the ref didn't give the advantage. Atrocious decision, could have cost Germany the points. That was really an absolute standard example of when advantage should be given. It doesn't get more advantageous than a goal FFS :D

This thread appears to be packed with people who think we should've played attacking all game long. I think our strategy was spot on! I was surprised that we managed to stay organized all game long and gave very little space to the Germans. That was pleasing to see.

If we went up all the way we'd be carved open countless times by their deadly counter attacks. Ask England and Argentina. If we managed to be completely raped by the Turks on the counter just last week, we'd be even more screwed by world class team on the counter. Our full backs are too offensive opening up highways behind them, and Veloso is way too slow to aid the defenders. This way we can use the one area where we have speed, which is Nani and Ronaldo specially. It nearly worked, the game was so tight really could've gone either way. The final 10 minutes when we went all out attack, we did have a couple chances but Germany had a huge one too thanks to the massive space we opened up.Imagine that all game long..

Oliveira is much more suited to a counter game than Postiga though.

Archived