The Rise of the Cerud

cerud

2017 International Year in Review

logo.png

Canada National Soccer Team - Canadian Soccer Association

FIFA World Ranking - 23rd

World Rankings | Past Positions - Canada is at the highest rankings that the nations has ever held. This is in no small part to us winning the Gold Cup and qualifying for the World Cup.

CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

Our run to the 2018 World Cup has been the highlight of Canadian football. Only once before has Canada been in the World Cup, back in 1986. We are now set to show up again, 32 years later.

wcq.png

CONCACAF Gold Cup

Our job in the Gold Cup was made much easier by Jamaica beating Mexico in their semi final. It meant that we had a good chance of winning and we didn't disappoint. This marked Canada's first Gold Cup since 2000.

golde.png

Friendlies

Our friendlies were essentially preparation for the busy year we just had and all of its competitions. Again, it all helped propel us to Canada's football pinnacle. I'm hoping that this coming year, we are able to top it.

friendg.png

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A couple of good wins to get you started cerud, at least coming in to the second half of the season a 5 point gap isn't too far to grab a Europa spot. Good look against the bitters in the semi too :cool:

Good so far, but I have Man City and Man Utd back-to-back in January :eek:

Looks like an interesting challenge at Spurs. Balancing the demands of different competitions while trying to stabalise the finances should keep you busy. ;)

Yeah...these finances may take a couple years to fix. There's simply too many monthly payments we have for bought players. Just have to ride them out until they're finished, I guess.

Not to far off challenging for a Europa League spot,hopefully you can get a couple of players in to help improve your squad.

Probably no buying this transfer window. I may offload a couple though to help with finances.

Well done with what you've done with Canada. Great achievement getting into the World Cup. Do you plan on carrying on after the World Cup?

My plan was to try and get Canada into their 2nd only World Cup. I've done that so I will stay for the World Cup and them likely leave. I've brought Canada probably as far as they're going to get. A Gold Cup is something that can hopefully build off of.

January 2018 Update

200px-Tottenham_Hotspur.svg.png

Tottenham Hotspur - Barclays Premier League

Barclays Premier League

What an unbelievable month! We were up against Man City and Man Utd, 3 days apart (whoever the genius was that scheduled that!). In the Man City match, we were completely outplayed. We didn't register a shot on goal until about the 70th minute. However, a brilliant counter attack and then a header off a corner in the 91st minute gave us the lead over the league leaders from which they had no time to mount an offensive from.

We bounced back to form against Man Utd and played very well. We went up by a goal in the 1st half, only to concede a penalty which they converted. Then again early in the second, same thing. Both of my centrebacks now conceding penalties. However, we held on despite earlier disappointments and scored late and then were awarded a penalty of our own. A solid performance and great win.

It would have been nice to win against Liverpool as well, but a tired squad just wasn't able to hold onto our lead. They hit back in the 75th minute for the tie. Still, a great month for us in league play.

fixb.png

FA Cup and Carling Cup

I'm combining the cups due to picture restrictions. The FA Cup began and saw us against EPL side, Stoke. It took awhile for us to get going, but a 4 goal blitz in the 2nd half showed the depth of difference between us and the Potters.

We actually met up with Ma City 3 times this month! I think they were still choked over losing to us a few days earlier. The first leg of the semi final was all Man City. They dominated play and never gave us anything. We got lucky to get a goal late in the match to head back to Perryman Arena only down 1-2.

The return match to our stadium was a shock, both to us and Man City, I think. Not only did we perform better, we outperformed the top of the league. We got our needed goal in the first half to win on away goals, but made it a no contest with 2 more in the 2nd half. We now move onto the final against Liverpool!

cups.png

The Standings

standg.png

In two months, we have had an amazing turnaround of play. All the pieces were already here; they just weren't being used to their full effectiveness. I believe the Champions League football for next year is a real possibility as 4th place is only 5 points below. I think pushing for much more would be too much of a task at this stage.

Going well there cerud
You're on a great run of form- maybe a top four finish isn't out of the question? :cool:

Thanks, Dexter Morgan and AK22. A top 4 finish is definitely a possibility and one that I'm working for.

21 February 2018

H.bmp

400th Match for Cerud

As Tottenham prepare for the trip to Italy to play Fiorentina, the occasion is made even more special. It marks Cerud's 400th match in management. Likely, Cerud will be more concerned with getting past the Italian club in the UEFA Europa League rather than his own milestone.

400dr.png

The match was a nervy affair, a 1-1 tie.

23 February 2018

H.bmp

Tottenham Renew Committment to Youth

Today, Tottenham Hotspur announced a new focused committment to their youth products. This includes added coaching for their junior setup and an increased recruitment scope. Current manager Cerud stated that he appreciated the Board's willingness to look ahead despite current financial strains.

juniorb.png

recruiti.png

February 2018 Update

Barclays Premier League

All good in the league this month. Fulham gave us a few problems, but we were able to hold onto our lead for the win. The win against Newcastle was deserved and helped solidify our 6th place position.

fixr.png

FA Cup

Chelsea gave us our first scare in the FA Cup. They just kept hitting back and denying us the lead. We finally took it in the 86th minute and held on.

77059939.png

The Standings

standu.png

We have solidly in 6th place now and only a single point behind 4th placed Liverpool. That's the goal, a 4th place finish and Champions League football. I think asked for much more than that would be too much at this stage of the campaign.

2017-2018 UEFA Europa League

200px-Europa_league.svg.png

1st Knockout Round

We got the tie away in Italy and the away goal may end up helping us out. However, Fiorentina played well. It was a nervy match on both sides, with neither really wanting to press and possibily make a mistake. We play the second match very soon, so we had better be ready.

efix.png

estand.png

Carling Cup

albumpicture.php?albumid=2195&pictureid=18161

4 March 2018

200px-Tottenham_Hotspur.svg.png200px-Liverpool_FC.svg.png

Final

Tottenham Hotspur 2 - 0 Liverpool FC

The final of the Carling Cup saw us draw Liverpool. We had a tired squad so I was forced to play a few secondary players in key positions. They didn't disappoint. It was a solid win, nothing special. Liverpool played decent enough, but just couldn't hit the net. Half of their shots were from distance and they just couldn't break us down. We played a disciplined game, hit our chances and have come away winners of the Carling Cup and a guaranteed spot in the UEFA Europa League for next season!

2018 Youth Candidates

Youth Candidates

yth.png

Not much. Very disappointing for a club such as Tottenham. I'll need to keep improving our junior coaching and recruitment. But we did get a Canadian! The best of the bunch is James Judge.

James Judge - AM C, ST

Jamaal Santos - WB/M L

March 2018 Update

Barclays Premier League

I took a look back at my time with Tottenham so far...in league play, I've only lost 1 match. It was my first match. Since then, we have been on an amazing turn of performance, winning the majority, tying a couple, to bring us up the standings. This month, we played our arch Noroth London rivals, Arsenal. It looked as though it was headed for a tie, but again, we find ways to hit the back of the net with barely any time to spare. This squad has responded to me much better than Benfica did. With Benfica, it felt as though I was begrudgingly bringing the squad along. Here, it's a system that is embraced. I'm definitely enjoying it!

fixs.png

FA Cup and Carling Cup

The Carling Cup marked my first piece of silverware in England. We also continued to progress in the FA Cup. Leicester went into the match believing they could win. Silly Leicester...

cupsl.png

The Standings

standk.png

We've moved into 5th place now, exactly what the media predicted we would be in by the end of the season. However, I don't think they thought it would take a revival from 16th place! Still only 1 point behind Chelsea and time is running out. I'll need some help from other squads to knock a few points off of the Blues so that I can overtake them. Here's hoping.

2017-2018 UEFA Europa League

200px-Europa_league.svg.png

1st and 2nd Knockout Rounds

Well, the run in the Europa League is done for this year. We were able to beat Fiorentina, but CKSA Moscow was, for some reason, too much for us. Our first match against them at home was a horribe match. We just didn't play well. In the end, those 2 away goals were too much to overcome. It's disheartening to so out like that, but I can concentrate on moving into 4th place in the league and into Champions League play instead.

efix.png

estand.png

Good getting an early trophy.

Thanks, deltablue.

You've really turned things around there cerud, beating City and Liverpool on the way to a cup is a good achievement too :D

The Man City semis was difficult, but the second match, we really showed what we are capable of. Very happy with how the squad is coming together.

Congrats on winning the Carling Cup.

Thanks, BWG.

Well done on the Carling Cup win. Looks like a top 4 league finish could be on the cards too.

Like the format of your thread too. Think I may style my updates on it. Nice and easy to read.

Cheers, psychonaut! I'm gunning for a top 4, but I'll need the help of other clubs knocking points off the current top 4. Go ahead and use the format :) Glad you like it.

Boo! You beat Liverpool! :(

That's right! :D

April 2018 Update

Barclays Premier League

Chelsea's match before us was against Burnley and they lost 0-1, so I went in knowing we could really take a nice lead off of them and move into 4th place. It was an easy match in while they just imploded. They didn't have a shot until the 40th minute and lost a man to a red card in the first half as well. All in all, it was a great month where we shored us the defense, although playing a few lower placed teams did definitely help.

fixw.png

FA Cup

We were able to overcome Southampton, but for some reason, they do give us problems. However, a late goal by Doumbia sealed the win.

54055964.png

The Standings

standaf.png

We have the 4th place spot that I wanted! But we're only 6 points away from 1st and our next match in against Man United. Hmmm.... I may be aimig to big, but with 4 matches left to go, anything is possible. A move into the top 3 would be perfect.

The FA Cup

130px-Thefacup-logo.png

4 March 2018

200px-Tottenham_Hotspur.svg.png200px-Aston_Villa.svg.png

Final

Tottenham Hotspur 3 - 2 Aston Villa FC

This was kind of a disappointing match, but at least we won. Aston Villa for the past few seasons have been in the Championship League and we were expected to put our hands on the trophy rather easily. However, they just kept coming back at us and eventually forcing extra time. We only won because of an own goal! That guy has got to feel like crap!

Still, I'll take it. Tottenham have a Double on cups!

doublei.png

2017-2018 Season in Review

4th Place - Qualified UEFA Champions League Best Placed Playoff

The League

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - It was an odd way to end the season. I began my job with Tottenham with a loss and ended the season with a loss. Everything in between was good. The clubs I lost to were also ones that I should never be losing to. Still going from 16th to 4th place is a solid achievement. Plus, we get entrance into the Champions League for next year! I marked in a red line in the Fixtures pic where I took over.

The Cups

McDonald's FA Community Shield - Winners! Although I wasn't managing here yet.

FA Cup with Budweiser - Winners! Chelsea was our only major competition in this cup...or so I thought. Aston Villa pushed us in the final and it took an own goal to seal the deal in extra time. Still, It gave us our Double.

Carling Cup - Winners! This competition included a tough semi final versus Man City. We overcame in the second leg and went on to win the first trophy of my reign in Tottenham!

UEFA Europa League - The Board was hoping for a semi final push; however, CKSA Moscow had other plans in mind. We were poor at home and just couldn't recover.

The Stats

Goals Scored: 98 (1st in league)

Goals Conceded: 44 (4th in league)

Average Attendance: 44 533 (6th in league)

The Players

Squad | Transfers - No purchasing of players for me as my predecessor spent over $40M more than he sold. I did sell a couple of players for some decent cash, but nothing special.

Marek Hamsik - M C, AM LC - Our captain was stellar in the midfield. Together with Sandro, they form the best pairing in the EPL. At least that's what I tell other managers.

Apostolos Vellios - ST - Vellios took a while to pick up, but he has turned into a great second striker. While his job is more to set up the offensive play, he also chipped in more than his fair share of goals.

Seydou Doumbia - ST - Our attacking force. League leader in goals, averaging 1 per game. No way to complain about that.

The Backroom

Finances - Our final position definitely helped, but I still need to get rid of some of these crippling monthly payments for player purchases. It totals close to $4M per month.

Facilities - I upgraded junor coaching and youth recruitment. I'll want to keep upgrading these so that I hopefully start getting better youth prospects because this year's group sucked.

The Awards

The Goals Revisited

• Qualify for Europa League - Achieved! Actually, make that the Champions League.
  • Make semis of Europa League - Failed. CKSA Moscow was too much for us.
  • Win either Carling Cup or FA Cup - Achieved! Or...how about both?
  • Make a profit - Failed. Will take some time to fix this.

Plans for Next Season

Well, now that I'll have a full season, I hope to push for the league title. The squad, as it is, is more than capable. However, I'd like to look around and see if I can improve key areas. I'd also like to improve the youth setup and bring in a few younger players that could become homegrown for the club so that European competitions are made easier. I know that's more of a long term goal, but I'd like to start as soon as possible.

Congrats on adding the FA Cup as well as finishing in a Champions League spot,excellent progress at Spurs and not even a full season in charge

Yeah. I'm pretty happy about it :D

Two early trophies!

Thanks, deltablue!

Well done on turning it around cerud, great job you've done so far.
Nice cup double, and a perfect launching pad for an assault on the league title next season. (No pressure.)
An excellent season, especially when considering how far down the table they were when you took over.

Doumbia was terrific :cool:

Very good season dude :thup:

Thanks all. It's been a great season, all things considered. THe main goal was Champions League football and we achieved that. We even did it without any new players in the January transfer window. The pieces were here; they just weren't being utilized. However, now a full season...expectations will be bigger.

On an other note, I'm now considered a World Class manager! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Excellent season. Miracle worker getting from 16th to 4th!

Thanks, Mikal! :)

Well, I have just finished my run in the English vs. ROW career. Hopefully, this one will start up in the next couple of days.

2018 FIFA World Cup

18 June 2018

1326902812.png543799056.png

Group E

Canada 3 - 1 Saudi Arabia

Canada's first even goal and first even win in a World Cup! We played well throughout the entire match, overtaking Saudi Arabia in all categories. Their only goal came from one of my own players.

23 June 2018

701165867.png1326902812.png

Group E

Brazil 1 - 0 Canada

Brazil dominated the first half, not even giving us a single shot. However, we were able to even the level of play in the second half. I was hoping to hold our for the draw, but a late goal sealed Brazil over us. Still, we played well against such high opposition.

The Table

As so, after two matches, Group E stands as...

• Brazil - 6 pts.
  • Turkey - 3 pts.
  • Canada - 3 pts.
  • Saudi Arabia - 0 pts.

2018-2019 Pre-Season

The Stats

Barclays Premier League: Qualify for the UEFA Champions League

FA Cup with Budweiser: Reach the Semi Final

McDonalds FA Community Shield: Not important

UEFA Champions League: Reach the Quarter Final

Media Prediction: 4th of 20

Betsson Title Odds: 16-1

Wage Budget: $122 514 747 (+$9 318 from last season)

Currently Spending: $95 416 590 ($27 098 157 cap space available)

Transfer Budget: $57 130 778

Main Kit Sponsorship: $12 970 000 (expires 2021)

Additional Kit Sponsor: $10 820 000 (expires 2020)

Additional Kit Sponsor: $26 900 000 (expires 2020)

General Sponsor: $722 000 (expires 2019)

General Sponsor: $722 000 (expires 2018)

Stadium Sponsor: $8 986 721 (expires 2027)

Premier League TV Rights: $69.48M

Average Ticket Price: $42.20 (same as last year)

Average Season Ticket Price: $1 360 (same as last year)

Season Ticket Holders: TBD

Estimated Value: $508M (7th in world)

National Club Ranking in England: 4th

European Club Ranking: 11th

Goals

• Defend trophies
  • Win the Premiership
  • Make a profit
  • Develop youth areas.

Tottenham is in a good position squad-wise, financially, and in most other areas. However, they could still use greater investment into junior coaching and recruitment. I was our youth to be the best and so I need quality prospects.

2018 FIFA World Cup

28 June 2018

2085265933.png1326902812.png

Group E

Turkey 2 - 1 Canada

Well, it wasn't meant to be. Turkey overpowered us in the first half hour. It seemed as though the awe and spectacle of the World Cup finally caught up to us. We were able to hit back immediately after their first goal to keep it tied, but the match simply was not our. However, when a Turkish player was handed a second yellow card and ejected from the match, I was hoping for a miracle...until Akande completed a horrible tackle and was given a straight red card for his troubles.

But Canada at least won a World Cup match, better than it could have said before. I don`t think I can complain too much about where we ended up. It still a surprize to many that we actually qualified for the competition in the first place.

Archived