FM12 Smylie v Roberts - England vs the Rest of the World!

PaulHartman71

Do you want Pakistan's starting goalkeeper? We can sign him (unless League 1 team Stevenage make an offer) for £275 p/w, though he is currently angry at me for trying to actually negotiate. He's pretty unreasonable when discussing contracts and has a Temperamental personality, but he's far better than McMahon.

Other than that I'll do well just to keep our current squad together, lots of them are on non-contracts and want big wages to resign. Teams are now starting to take an interest in several of our players. I think the pressure on you may actually be very high. :D

Edit: Just after I post that two BSP teams make offers for Francis. Should I offer him a new contract? Bearing in mind that he's 39 and wants more than £200 p/w.

If he has talent, sign him to a short term contract till end of this season or next season. As for Francis, find a replacement. At 39 it's unlikely he will get any better and the wages would be better used on someone else.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andrew Smylie's Colwyn Bay - January 2012

A new player has joined the club. Scott McMullan is a young Northen Irish rightback who will have first team duties from the off. Other players that we were interested in we either lost out on in the bidding (Stevenage got the Pakistani goalkeeper), or we saw them get their work permits refused despite them being regulars for their national teams.

2/1/2012 - Colwyn Bay 2-1 Solihull Moors

Not a brilliant scoreline, but this was a fantastic game nonetheless. 1st vs 3rd, it featured an early goal for us and a late equaliser for them, and then in the 93rd minute , with all hope being lost for the three points, Paul Jones rose above everyone else in the opposition area and scored the winner.

Scorers: Lawton, Jones

7/1/2012 - Boston Utd 2-3 Colwyn Bay

We're scraping wins at the moment. This was another match where we went up twice only to concede twice and then leave the winning goal until injury time. Ceesay scored the first and the third goals for us.

Scorers: Ceesay (2), Rogers

14/1/2012 - Vauxhall 3-4 Colwyn Bay

Now that's what I call a comeback! After being 3-0 down at one stage, we fought back to get the equaliser, then continued to attack with James scoring the winning goal having already set up two others. To add insult to injury Vauxhall Motors saw their 82nd minute strike questionably chalked off.

Scorers: Rogers (2), Griffiths, James

21/1/2012 - Colwyn Bay 0-1 Bishop's Stortford

It's been a long time since we didn't score, in fact the last time in all competitions was against Charlton, while we have to back to September for the last time our opponents kept a clean sheet in the league.

Scorers: N/A

28/1/2012 - Colwyn Bay 1-2 Stalybridge

January's been a terrible month, in terms of both results and performances. We conceded in the first half, equalised in the second through Ceesay and then lost the game at the very end with a header from a corner.

Scorers: Ceesay

League Table

As bad as January may have been, it didn't affect our league position as we now hold a six point lead over second placed Solihull Moors. Hoping for better performances in February.

Andrew Smylie's Colwyn Bay - February 2012

1/2/2012 - Altrincham 2-4 Colwyn Bay

That's more like it. Though we conceded in the second minute, Jones scored immediately afterwards. When we inevitably conceded again in the tenth minute we took our time to equalise, though Ceesay eventually found the net. Half time with a 2-2 score and the players receive the hairdryer treatment. This doesn't work, so super-sub Andy Lawton is brought on and he goes on to score two minutes after stepping onto the pitch. Another six minutes later he works the ball past two Altrincham defenders and into the feet of Ceesay, who scores with a brilliant placed finish.

Scorers: Jones, Ceesay (2), Lawton

11/2/2012 - Colwyn Bay 0-4 Gainsborough

Not sure what happened here. Lots of players were fined/warned afterwards.

Scorers: N/A

18/2/2012 - Hyde 0-2 Colwyn Bay

A controversial penalty and a late goal on us the game, but I'd have taken any type of win here. Barber proved to be a real leader at the back, putting in tough tackles and making clever interceptions as well as the pass for Ceesay's second goal.

Scorers: Ceesay (2)

25/2/2012 - Colwyn Bay 2-0 Worcester

In the eighth minute McMullan scored with what was either a very bad cross, or a brilliant shot from out wide. Ceesay doubled our lead ten minutes later. Despite the numerous chances that we got, we didn't manage to increase the scoreline.

Scorers: McMullan, Ceesay

League Table

7 points ahead now.

Completed October guys. Just been working the past 2 days. Off out now. I'd possibly say another update tomorrow and then finish the season off Tuesday.

I imagined it'd be that. Our season should be done either this evening or tomorrow. Rancer (and PH71 for that matter), do you prefer if I upload the save after the last game of the season or on June 24th?

Andrew Smylie's Colwyn Bay - March 2012

Paul Jones became the last of our players to leave on a free transfer, joining Boreham Wood after refusing to discuss a new contract. Youth intake was rubbish, so we signed some players from outside the club. Giampaolo de Paolis is another option for the leftback position, Fergal O'Connor can play in the other two defensive positions and Garry Scully adds depth upfront and on the wings. All three got decent reports and have good potential. Towards the end of the month I decided to terminate Nick Pateman's £150 p/w contract. He had a very bright start for the club initially, but his form declined afterwards and when he was dropped he complained about not playing.

3/3/2012 - Colwyn Bay 4-1 Harrogate

Ceesay's great run of form continued in this match as he opened the scoring in the 13th minute. Griffiths added another in the 47th minute. Harrogate pulled one back in the 55th minute, but Ceesay extended our lead again two minutes later. Barber then made up for his earlier defensive lapse by scoring from a corner.

Scorers: Ceesay (2), Griffiths, Barber

10/3/2012 - Guiseley 0-2 Colwyn Bay

Barber and Rogers got on the scoresheet and performed well, but it was really Mike Duffy who masterminded this performance: he created both goals in addition to some very good defensive work.

Scorers: Barber, Rogers

17/3/2012 - Corby 0-1 Colwyn Bay

A Savage header from a corner gave us the win in a match where we dominated, but couldn't finish our chances. With this win we guaranteed at least a playoff spot.

Scorers: Savage

24/3/2012 - Colwyn Bay 3-1 Droylsden

A Droylsden player made things easy for us by scoring an own goal. Ceesay added to the lead and Garry Scully became the second young Irish forward to score on his debut for the club. He later went off with a torn groin muscle and is out for three months.

Scorers: OG, Ceesay, Scully

31/3/2012 - Eastwood 3-2 Colwyn Bay

O'Neill made his comeback from injury in style, and Ceesay scored. Apart from them two, along with Chapman and O'Connor who each created a goal, nobody appeared to bother with the match

Scorers: O'Neill, Ceesay

League Table

I'll let the screenshot do the talking.

I imagined it'd be that. Our season should be done either this evening or tomorrow. Rancer (and PH71 for that matter), do you prefer if I upload the save after the last game of the season or on June 24th?

I wouldn't mind getting the file after the last day of the season. I need all the time I can get to prepare for the 2nd season. :D

Well that is terrible news :mad:

:D

Wooohooo! Go Rest of the World, we will shows those English :)
Excellent job Romanista, us subsequent managers will now be judged by a very high bar. :thup:
Good job Romanista! Lets hope that Rancer can keep it up, though I'm sure he won't let us down!

Cheers guys, I'm sure the rest of you will do just as well if not better.

Andrew Smylie's Colwyn Bay - April 2012

7/4/2012 - Colwyn Bay 2-0 Workington

On another day this could have been a very different result. It took a whole two minutes for us to concede a penalty which McMahon luckily saved. After that the tide turned, but we still waited until the very end of the first half to score a goal where O'Neill and Gregory combined brilliantly for the former to score a tap in. Gregory also set up James for the second half goal that calmed our nerves after we had racked up six yellow cards.

Scorers: O'Neill, James

10/4/2012 - Gloucester 2-1 Colwyn Bay

A draw would have been enough to win us the title, but today it wasn't to be. We went 2-0 down and even though Rogers managed to give us some hope with his 81st minute goal, we couldn't find the breakthrough here. The next match is at home and will be played in front of a bumper crowd because of a 'fan day'. This is the type of match you want to win a title in.

Scorers: Rogers

14/4/2012 - Colwyn Bay 2-0 Hinckley

The match of the season. Anything but a defeat here would have won us the title, but with it being on home turf in front of a large number of fans we really wanted the win. Everybody played brilliantly, and O'Neill scored the opener. Then, when half time had come and gone, Ceesay rose and scored the goal that would have won us the match even if Hinckley managed to claw one back. The BSN title was ours, and next season we would be playing BSP football.

Scorers: O'Neill, Ceesay

21/4/2012 - Colwyn Bay 3-1 Blyth

O'Neill was again the first to get on the scoresheet, but after that Ceesay stole the show, getting our 99th and 100th league goals.

Scorers: O'Neill, Ceesay (2)

28/4/2012 - Halifax 1-2 Colwyn Bay

We really did everything in this match. Mike Duffy scored an own goal to put Halifax ahead, before Ceesay and O'Neill did their thing.

Scorers: Ceesay, O'Neill

League table screenshot to come with the end of season report.

Andrew Smylie's Colwyn Bay - End of Season

CBFC.jpg

League

Table|Graph

We had a decent start and quickly found ourselves in and around the playoff spots. We made the first spot our own after 16 matches

Team

Stats|Transfers

Goalkeepers

Spencer McMahon

Stuart Lee

McMahon is should do a decent job in the BSP, but you definitely want to go looking for a replacement for Lee. Even better if that replacement can displace McMahon now or in the future.

Defenders

Fergal O'Connor

Scott McMullan

Gus Wright

David Chapman

Andy Meredith

Don Savage

Jeff Lovell

Andy Barber

Giampaolo de Paolis

Definitely keep Barber who is the star of the backline. Then probably O'Connor, McMullan and De Paolis. The future of the others is wholly up to you, if you think they can be useful keep them, otherwise get rid.

Midfielders

Aaron Baxter

Mike Duffy

Darren Griffiths

Shane Logan

Jack Gregory

Jonathan James

Gerard Rogers

You could keep everyone here, depending on who you manage to sign, though Jack Gregory is going back to Histon.

Strikers

Steven Birch

Andy Lawton

Garry Scully

Pa Ceesay

Graham O'Neill

O'Neill and Ceesay are both young and form a brilliant partnership together, they're both players that can make a difference in a match. Lawton and Birch play for free, but I'd keep the former over the latter because of superior speed and determination. Scully could be good coming off the bench when the opposition is tired, however, keep in mind that he's inconsistent according to the scouts.

Finances

Finance Screen

£35k - We've gone slightly into the red due to prize money drying up after we went out of both cups.

Tips for the next manager

- We currently have two scouts at the club (whose contracts end 2012, look if you want them and the physio to renew), with four more slots available. I refrained from signing the amount we were allowed to keep the finances in some kind of order and because we were doing well, so there was no need to increase our expenditure here. When you give scouts assignments don't forget to put in a filter for 3-star at least in ability. This filter removes all the dross from the reports and lowers scouting expediture (every report costs a certain amount). I've also left you some interesting players on the shortlist.

- Target the opposition players in the press. At this level most players have poor personalities and will react negatively to hearing their names in the media. I looked for those that had Determination < 10 (or up to 13 with a bad personality) before every match and made comments about them being the weakest link. If you target one player 2 days before the match and another the day before you get the best results. This was probably the difference between getting in the playoffs and winning the league.

- Try to sign the players you want to keep on part-time contracts. Losing them on a free is annoying and stops your squad from gelling.

Save Game File

Good luck and have fun, rancer!

Andrew Smylie's Colwyn Bay - 2011-12 End of Season News

165px-Colwynbayfc.jpg

May 6th:

AndrewSmylieNews_Inbox.png

Do note though that I will try to sign players to survive so I will spend whatever necessary (if it means going near the budget limit and maybe going a little above it, so be it). We will be right up to the budget and I will post those signings before pre-season begins.

Excellent job, Romanista! Really fast too.

Thanks, SnakeXe!

Thanks Romanista. Had a look at Ceesay and he wants nearly $50,000 a year (our highest paid player is <$20k) with a bunch of clauses. As much as I like him I don't like pesky agents. This is gonna be fun. :lol:

I'm now thinking that I maybe made a mistake in giving some players contracts that were too short. See if you can get the guy on the shortlist called Kavanagh to lower his demands though, he looks brilliant.

General policy is next guy on the list starts his go early and still gets the rest of his season, if SnakeXe is cool with that we'll go with that.

ROW getting an increased stadium /o\

We're also $390k in debt now... :(

----

Our sponsorship deals are exactly the same as last season, and initial budgets are $375k and a $4k transfer budget. In perspective, our budget has doubled for the BSP so we will have room to improve the squad without going too close to the budget now.

I'm now thinking that I maybe made a mistake in giving some players contracts that were too short. See if you can get the guy on the shortlist called Kavanagh to lower his demands though, he looks brilliant.

I see you signed a guy called Brian Cunningham. You remember what's his wage? :lol:

Kavanagh is Championship potential \o/. His agent is telling me to 'make my best offer' so he's a non-starter for me until he has some wage demands at least.

I see you signed a guy called Brian Cunningham. You remember what's his wage? :lol:

Kavanagh is Championship potential \o/. His agent is telling me to 'make my best offer' so he's a non-starter for me until he has some wage demands at least.

Cunningham will earn £25 p/w when he joins iirc.

Kavanagh also had 'thrives in big matches' in his report, did he not? One to keep in mind for the future, perhaps.

It's not PH. On Gamefront, it says it has to be a .rar etc etc or one of those. But when I just go into my documents normally. I don't have to. I'd assume I'd have to convert it? But before when I've used Gamefront I've never had to. Any other websites I can use? Not the one Romanista used though.

It's not PH. On Gamefront, it says it has to be a .rar etc etc or one of those. But when I just go into my documents normally. I don't have to. I'd assume I'd have to convert it? But before when I've used Gamefront I've never had to. Any other websites I can use? Not the one Romanista used though.

Would it be easier for SnakeXe to just restart from scratch? As you only got to September? :)

Andrew Smylie's Colwyn Bay - 2011-12 End of Season News

165px-Colwynbayfc.jpg

June 2nd: Resigned Physio Simon Ashton, fitness coach Joe Buckley, and scouts Thomas Gwynne and Wes Park to multi-year contracts.

Smylie - "Colwyn Bay FC wouldn't have won the Blue Square Bet North without the fantastic contributions from people on and off the pitch. Simon, Joe, Thomas, and Wes have been great part of our backroom staff and it's important that we keep them to help us progress."

I have signed players but they will be in a separate update.

-----

Preseason Expectations

Media - 24th out of 24th (33-1 Bookies)

Blue Square Bet Premier - Avoid Relegation

TV Rights - $8k

Transfer Budget - $4k

Wage Budget - $367,494 (currently spending $191,693)

Andrew Smylie's Colwyn Bay - 2012-13

165px-Colwynbayfc.jpg

Andrew Smylie has signed a new contract worth $63,000 per annum until June 2015. So no worries about being sacked this season no matter what!

And is Louis Howell worth a punt as our new highest paid player at a 1 year, $30,000 contract (unless I immediately resign Ceesay)?

And one other thing: how do you get an agent to drop a 'highest match earner clause'?

EDIT: Another possible 5 star option is Kouakou Koffi at half price compared to Howell. He's just not a team player!

Archived