FM12 Smylie v Roberts - England vs the Rest of the World!

PaulHartman71

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aren't we trying complete dafuges challenge? If we are, then I see no problem with it as it's not against the rules to have friendlies.

Well, no. Otherwise we'd have holidayed a season before choosing a team. The main thing is keeping the playing field balanced between the two teams (that's also why I suggested basing the choice of teams on the size of stadium alongside reputation) and letting the managers be the ones that make the difference, without exploiting flaws in the game that allow us, for example, to set up tons of friendlies against big teams and significantly increase the balance of the club.

Edit:

Personally I like to play realistically so I won't be using friendlies in an unrealistic manner. I might have a couple of money-spinners but no more than a club might have IRL.

Fwiw, I'm fine with this for the most part. It's just that ri's post had me worried about the possibility of this being exploited by one side at the expense of the other.

ScreenShot2012-08-21at205311.png

Up to circa £100k in the red now, looks like the board are happy to subsidise our losses for the time being. I don't know why we're losing so much, our wage bill is only 7th in the BSS - 3 times smaller than Eastleigh's.

Yeah, pre-season friendlies, what do we do with those? Having a lot of matches against big clubs in July could potentially set our teams' finances up for years and give a massive advantage if one side decides to use them while the other doesn't. I think it would be best if we imposed staying away from arranging friendlies against "much larger clubs" at the very least. What do people think about this?

Well played SnakeXe, you did exactly what I expected (and feared)! :D

rancer, that's another great month and Booth looks fantastic!

Edit: CUPSET! :cool:

I set the ass man to arrange them because I'm always too lazy to set them myself. :D

I was really scared at the beginning of the season at how we will fare against the BSP so I kept the schedule as is so I could get a truer indication of the squad instead of arranging against lower league teams to get the morale up.

I've added home friendlies against Aston Villa and Blackburn to the programme my assman put together to generate a big of cash, is that acceptable to everyone? If not I'll cancel them. I think the estimated incomes were £45k and £30k respectively.

Andrew Smylie's Colwyn Bay - 2012-13

165px-Colwynbayfc.jpg

November

ColwynBayFixtures_Fixtures-5.png

6 games this month, with 4 wins, 1 draw, and 1 loss.

Standings - Still maintaining our position around the top 5.

The Good - We're temporarily in a good spot for the playoffs. New signing Samuel Booth has 1 goal and 4 assists in 3 games, with a 8.13 rating.

The Bad - Last place Stockport score 2 goals in 5 minutes after the 80th to draw 2-2. We threw 2 points there.

The Ugly - Long term injuries. Aaron Baxter (4-5 weeks), Gerard Rogers (2-3 months), and Steve Banks (3-6 weeks) are all important players out for an extended period of time and now our depth will be tested.

I've added home friendlies against Aston Villa and Blackburn to the programme my assman put together to generate a big of cash, is that acceptable to everyone? If not I'll cancel them. I think the estimated incomes were £45k and £30k respectively.

That seems fine tbf, you'll probably lose that in a few months time anyway. :p As long as they're used in a fairly realistic manner I'm fine with most things, it's just that in a competition between two teams the use of exploits can actually give a big advantage which it doesn't really when you're playing on your own.

Doing great rancer, really glad to see that both old and new players are doing a good job in the BSP. :thup:

UPSET ALERT! UPSET ALERT!

OldhamvColwynBaySplitView.png

The Good: 3rd Round here we come!

The Bad: Fixture congestion = more chances of injury!

The Ugly: Premier League and Championship clubs await us in the 3rd Round. Hoping for a big club for the money, but with that comes the prospect of the wrong side of a double digit scoreline. :D

The draw has been made, and we will be playing at home against Premier League side Cardiff.

I have a feeling the champions league will be the real leveller between the two teams. The champions league can be such a lottery that it could take a team capable of winning it 3 or 4 years to do so, whereas someone else could do it the first season they qualified :D

Brilliant result rancer!

I have a feeling the champions league will be the real leveller between the two teams. The champions league can be such a lottery that it could take a team capable of winning it 3 or 4 years to do so, whereas someone else could do it the first season they qualified :D

It'll certainly be competitive if/when both teams are at the sharp end of top level football and the margins are so fine.

It's SnakeXe... he'll win you the bloody thing!

I've told you before about this! :mad:

:lol:

Great season, Snake, loving your optimism of mid-table next season, too! Probably going to need another promotion to sort out the finances, though :(

Edit: Bloody hell, rancer, the FA Cup money will set you up for a good couple of seasons!

Our finances are only US$245,000 in the red, and we have already made a profit of $150,000 this season. And we still have the FA Trophy to get some extra prize money income! :)

Snake's got some high expectations to match the ROW team in season 2. :D

I've told you before about this! :mad:

Pff, it's not as if it worked last time.. :D

Edit -

Our finances are only US$245,000 in the red, and we have already made a profit of $150,000 this season. And we still have the FA Trophy to get some extra prize money income! :)

That's decent, particularly because we don't have our board bankrolling us. (:mad:)

Danny Roberts' Staines Town

Season 2 (2012/13) Preview - SnakeXe

Expectations:

ScreenShot2012-08-21at221957.png

Transfers:

ScreenShot2012-08-21at223309.png

Finances:

-£60k in the bank, £4.5k per week wage budget, no transfer budget

Screenshot

Squad:

Overall Screenshot

Goalkeepers

Paul Hale

Daniel Parry

Defenders

Steven Nicoll

Jake Finnigan

Adam Webster

Tony Tilling

Liam McKeown

Hussein Badawi

Issah Annan

Barry Butterworth

Midfielders

Danny Leonard

Muhammad Iqbal

Alan Gordon

Barrie Potts

Matt Wright

Jake Annikey

Adam Hart

Remo Rowland

Forwards

Ryan Morton

Richard Montgomery

Diego Miranda

James Faye

Nick Williamson

Summary:

I've gone for quiet evolution rather than revolution, since we finished last season very strongly and looked patently too good for the BSS by the end. Basically I'll try to approach things in exactly the same way and hope for decent enough results!

165px-Colwynbayfc.jpg

December

ColwynBayFixtures_Fixtures-6.png

VS Luton: Blown 2 goal lead.

VS Tamworth: Sucked

VS Wrexham (FA Trophy): We were lucky to lose by only 1.

VS FC Halifax: Christmas Hangover.

VS Gateshead: Blown 2 goal lead.

Standings - It's tight, but I'm not pleased that we're now 10th.

The Good - A cup win. And at least we're freefalling when we're near the top!

The Bad - More injuries. Howell is unavailable for the Cardiff match. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

The Ugly - Santa gave us a lump of coal. Oh, and we have forgotten how to pass a bloody football (<60% pass completions in the losses).

Come on Rancer, you can do it, a cup victory over Cardiff...CUPSET for the WIN! Also good work in the league, at this rate I am looking at Championship Football, please not first season at that level, I hate the relegation battles :p

I'm not looking to get promoted to league football tbh. Survival was also my goal, and as long as we don't lose every single game for the rest of the season, we'll be fine. I'm sure ManUTactician wouldn't want the headache of preparing the club for its first season in league football. :D

I'll be happy with a win over Mansfield before the Cardiff match, much less a decent result against Cardiff! :p

I'm not looking to get promoted to league football tbh. Survival was also my goal, and as long as we don't lose every single game for the rest of the season, we'll be fine. I'm sure ManUTactician wouldn't want the headache of preparing the club for its first season in league football. :D

I'll be happy with a win over Mansfield before the Cardiff match, much less a decent result against Cardiff! :p

You'd be surprised! There'd be a lot less pressure on me if you got promoted to League 2 :D!

August 2012

Staines 0-1 York (BSP)

A frustrating start to life in the BSP as we come so close to beating one of the promotion favourites. Faye, Miranda and Leonard all missed great chances before Webster unfortunately deflected in for an own goal on his debut.

Stockport 0-4 Staines (BSP)

Off and running in style! Predictably enough, Faye was the inspiration, providing a brace either side of Rowland's tidy finish on the stroke of half time. Rowland could even afford to miss a penalty as Leonard stepped off the bench to complete the rout.

Staines 2-0 Blyth (BSP)

An important win here against the only side predicted to finish below us. Leonard and Faye were again on the scoresheet as our two talismen adapt well to life in the BSP.

Hereford 3-1 Staines (BSP)

Another frustrating defeat - Faye gave us a deserved lead, and we could have had the game wrapped up by the time Hereford equalised. We then fell apart, Faye going off injured, and two more goals leaked.

League Table

A solid enough start leaves us where I told the board we'd be.

Finances

Still haemorrhaging money, but the season ticket sales and couple of friendlies make things slightly less desperate. Oh, and the board's input as well, that's pretty significant.

165px-Colwynbayfc.jpg

January

ColwynBayFixtures_Fixtures-8.png

Only one acquisition in Dave Rowe who will shore up the 'D'.

Standings - We're still in the hunt for a playoff spot, which is just all I want for now.

The Good - Consecutive wins!!!! Ceesay's goals! And we're finally healthy!

The Bad - Ceesay's attitude. Juan Mendoza has been offered a contract by League Two club Fleetwood, so I guess goodbye to him.

The Ugly - Injuries midgame all month. Thankfully this month those injuries weren't longterm.

3IAR

What a great idea :thup:

I'd love to participate. Rest of the World. :)

edit: Not having checked if I'm counted in yet, I'm already rooting for Colwyn Bay :cool: And great work so far my dear ROW guys :thup: Expecting to be at the helm no lower than in the Championship ;)

3IAR

What a great idea :thup:

I'd love to participate. Rest of the World. :)

edit: Not having checked if I'm counted in yet, I'm already rooting for Colwyn Bay :cool: And great work so far my dear ROW guys :thup: Expecting to be at the helm no lower than in the Championship ;)

Nice to have you on board, have added you and others who recently requested in to the opening post list.

September 2012

Kettering 2-2 Staines (BSP)

A definite game of two halves, as Kettering battered us in the first half, taking a 2-0 lead, whilst we came back and did the same in the second, making a 2-2 draw overall. Frustratingly, Montgomery missed quite literally an open goal with seconds remaining which would have won it for us.

Staines 1-1 Dover (BSP)

A frustrating draw against bottom side Dover, we just never got going. Annikey struck the equaliser for us with 5 minutes remaining.

Tamworth 0-0 Staines (BSP)

A much better performance than the previous two, we were very solid defensively, but just didn't get the luck when going forward.

Staines 3-1 Corby (BSP)

A great performance, Badawi, Faye and Montgomery doing the damage. We faded badly in the second half, though, culminating in Webster being sent off late on.

Staines 0-0 AFC Telford (BSP)

I'm sure we'd have gone on to win this had Iqbal not received our second red card in consecutive games for a horrific and needless tackle. We nearly did anyway, but again it wasn't to be.

Crewe 2-1 Staines (BSP)

A hugely frustrating defeat against the league leaders. We took the lead and looked very much worthy of it, but then the bottom fell out of our gameplan as we conceded from a corner and had Faye go off injured within 4 minutes of each other. We still could have gone on to win, but we missed more chances, and Crewe took theirs.

Kidderminster 1-1 Staines (BSP)

We were off to Aggborough for the final game in a punishing month, and were slightly fortunate that Faye's 30 yard thriker both went in and was enough for a point.

League Table

Bang in mid-table, but our performances in general have warranted more. Our edge in front of goal is missing and we're making stupid defensive mistakes, especially from set pieces.

Finances

Drip, drip, drip.

165px-Colwynbayfc.jpg

March

ColwynBayFixtures_Fixtures-10.png

Standings - It's probably a tall task for playoffs, but it's been a success already.

The Good - We're safe mathematically. One month to go!

The Bad - Samuel Booth out for the season. We're not winning enough to actually get in the playoffs.

The Ugly - N/A.

Archived