FM12 Smylie v Roberts - England vs the Rest of the World!

PaulHartman71

Mini Update

I'm sure Romanista and Rancer especially would want to have a look at the Colwyn Bay Best Eleven last season

colwynbayhistorybestele.png

You might be pleased to hear Rogers was voted BSP player of the season!

Meanwhile I have added a couple of youngsters to the squad

Adam Harrop (free from Hinckley) - I must admit Rancer had actually sent a scout to check this guy out and I must say he looks a very good prospect.

Sam Bangura (free from Thurrock) - Another youngster, not as good as Harrop but slightly more versatile.

Departing are

Steve Tanner to Gateshead

Nigel Evans

Aaron Baxter

Jonathan James

Stuart Lee

Darren Griffiths

Lee Jones

By the way, Barnet won the play-off to League 2 just incase you wanted to know.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent youngsters there, ManUTactician!

For anyone worried about WinRAR, don't be. I've been using the same trial version for years. All that happens is after the trial is done is adds an extra popup window asking you to buy. Close the window and carry on as normal.

Rogers. :thup: Was Ceesay the BSN player of the year the previous season? And who were our own two players of the season these two years?

Interesting signings as well. Harrop looks quite good, while I had spotted Bangura before, but decided against signing him due to his woeful positioning. Hope he does well for you in spite of that.

Rogers. :thup: Was Ceesay the BSN player of the year the previous season? And who were our own two players of the season these two years?

Interesting signings as well. Harrop looks quite good, while I had spotted Bangura before, but decided against signing him due to his woeful positioning. Hope he does well for you in spite of that.

Ceesay was indeed player of the season in the BSN. Our two players of the season have been Ceesay in your season and Rogers for Rancers season. I certainly hope the two can have an impact next season.

Solid signings. Sucks to see Tanner leave since he was a good player but there's plenty of players of Tanner's quality lying around willing to play on a non-contract. Which players did you resign?

And also like cerud said, WINRAR doesn't force you to buy after the trial, it's just a message that always pops up. The program still works.

Solid signings. Sucks to see Tanner leave since he was a good player but there's plenty of players of Tanner's quality lying around willing to play on a non-contract. Which players did you resign?

And also like cerud said, WINRAR doesn't force you to buy after the trial, it's just a message that always pops up. The program still works.

To tell the truth I was unaware an offer for Tanner was made but it was one of those things I suppose. I resigned everyone that didn't leave in my last post.

Danny Roberts' Staines Town

December 2012

Staines 1-2 Walsall (FA Cup 2nd Round)

Gutted. We smashed the absolute granny out of Walsall, creating 4 clear cut chances to their 0, but they finished adroitly whereas we finished into the advertising hoardings, save for Faye's opener. Walsall got Champions League challenging Stoke away in the next round - that could have put us well into the black. :(

Staines 3-0 Hayes & Yeading (BSP)

The perfect tonic for an FA Cup exit hangover. Annikey, Parkinson and Leonard were on target as we remembered how to finish 90 minutes too late.

Staines 3-1 Fleetwood (BSP)

A massive win over the league leaders! We weathered a lot of pressure to be fair to them, but mostly kept them at arms length, with first a great goal by Montgomery, and then smart headers from Parkinson and Annan, either side of a consolation for them, confirming our set piece prowess.

Ebbsfleet 1-2 Staines (BSP)

This was far closer than it should have been - we really need to work on putting away chances when we're the better side. Faye and Parkinson yet again put us into a commanding position before a 56th minute reply left us hanging on for an uncomfortably long period.

Altrincham 0-2 Staines (FA Trophy 1st Round)

Since this was the culmination of an absolutely stupid run of 5 games in 14 days I had to rest most of my first choice side for this game. Fortunately my backups all played a decent role in winning us the BSS last season, so they know a thing or two about getting the job done against teams from that level - none more so than Williamson, who bagged a brace for his first goals of the season.

York 0-0 Staines (BSP)

We weathered a heavy, heavy York storm in the opening minutes. I managed to get us a bit of a foothold in the game by prompting the players to start utilising Montgomery's pace as an outlet down the right, and we even created the best chance of the game in the end, Faye fizzing a shot just wide after a clever turn, but a draw was probably right.

Blyth 0-1 Staines (BSP)

A rubbish performance, which was to be expected after the huge effort in the last match, but importantly a win, thanks to that man Faye again.

League Table

I can't help but start looking at the gap between us and the leaders and noting how small and potentially surmountable it is... but then I remind myself we have to start players with 80% condition most matches at the moment and how close it all is to falling apart like a house of cards and be thankful for the points we have on board already.

Finances

Leaking out again after the lucrative-ish FA Cup mini-run.

A very good month in the league, desperately unlucky in the cup but you over-achieved getting to where you did :thup:

Yeah it was a good run but so disappointing to go out having schooled them!

Keep it up Snake. You are having an excellent league campaign.

It's gone a bit wrong this month :( The fixture congestion is absolutely heinous, and injuries and suspensions have meant I couldn't rotate to compensate.

January 2013

Staines 2-2 Stockport (BSP)

Aaaaarrrrgh!!! Not only did we dominate them for 90 minutes, but we threw the 3 points away in injury time! Faye opened the scoring with a penalty, which they got an undeserved equaliser to with 20 minutes remaining. Parkinson quickly restored our lead, but just as we could taste victory it was taken away by a lack of concentration.

Staines 0-2 Hereford (BSP)

What a shambles. Hereford are rubbish, but we made them look unstoppable. Their first came against the run of play, but after that it was all them.

Barrow 0-0 Staines (BSP)

A hattrick of disappointments as we had only ourselves to blame for failing to beat bottom club Barrow.

Staines 0-1 Ebbsfleet (FA Trophy 2nd Round)

Fixture congestion necessitated rotation, and with injuries and suspensions mounting I wasn't able to put a great team out. We still gave Ebbsfleet a good game, but didn't really look like scoring if I'm honest.

Dover 3-0 Staines (BSP)

The absolute nadir of this rubbish run of games came away at fellow BSS promotees Dover. We just watched powerlessly as they passed and moved far too quickly for our tired legs to get anywhere near. I have no idea why they're in the bottom half, they schooled us like no other team has this season.

Staines 3-0 Tamworth (BSP)

Well it seems hitting rock bottom in the previous game was the spur we needed, as we unexpectedly blew away fellow promotion challengers Tamworth! It helped that their set piece marking was even worse than ours sometimes is, and the return of Annan from a lengthy spell out with injury really solidified our back line. Parkinson notched a brace of headers for our goals, and they helped out with an own goal after good work by Faye for the third.

Staines 2-0 Kettering (BSP)

A great win in exactly the sort of game we've struggled in so far this season - one in which we're significant favourites to win. We still had to give them a bit of a chance, the Staines back line being the Staines back line, allowing them to miss a penalty early on, but Montgomery and that man Parkinson stepped up to give us the win. Hopefully that will banish the memory of our earlier run this month.

League Table

Not lost too much ground, thanks to our end of month recovery, but I think the illusion of a title challenge has been well and truly shattered.

Finances

We actually made a mini-profit last month, how about that!

February 2013

Corby 0-1 Staines (BSP)

Our recovery continued with a decent enough win over Corby, thanks to McLaren's late goal.

AFC Telford 0-0 Staines (BSP)

Not a great performance, neither side really deserved it though.

Staines 3-3 Crewe (BSP)

I'm starting to hate Crewe. This is the second time this season they've taken points off us in thoroughly undeserving circumstances. We scored 3 great goals through Iqbal and Montgomery twice, they scrambled in thrice from set piece melees, the final equaliser coming in the 90+4th minute. Aaaaaarrrggh!!

Staines 1-2 Kidderminster (BSP)

Just disgusting.

Newport County 2-1 Staines (BSP)

Only we could equalise in the 90+1st minute and still lose. Faye's first goal in forever was made completely redundant by an absolutely moronic piece of defending by Finnigan to concede a penalty. Iqbal had earlier got himself another straight red.

Staines 1-1 Gateshead (BSP)

An insipid display, lit up only by Parkinson's latest headed goal, was typical of probably my worst month in charge so far.

League Table

We'll do well to hang on to a playoff spot as things are going.

Finances

Back to loss-making.

March 2013

Mansfield 0-0 Staines (BSP)

Dull, limp, rubbish.

Staines 1-2 Cambridge (BSP)

Another infuriating game where we play well and lose.

Forest Green 1-2 Staines (BSP)

Our first win in what seems like forever, secured by a now-rare Faye goal, and the common or garden Parkinson header.

Staines 1-1 Lincoln (BSP)

One of the major tasks for the next manager will be to find some more clinical players at both ends of the pitch so ridiculous stuff like this stops happening. We absolutely dominated the game and only scored through a fluke Leonard mishit cross, whilst they scored almost immediately afterwards having offered the square root of zero threat all game previously.

Staines 0-0 Luton (BSP)

Cack, didn't even look like scoring.

League Table

Dropped out of the playoffs for the first time in ages. We could still make them, but honestly it'd be pointless, we're in nothing like the right shape to actually do anything other than lose badly in the semi-final.

Finances

Another mini-profit!

2 wins in 2 months is pretty horrendous I'd say! We could well end up making it because everyone around us is playing badly as well (aside from Fleetwood and York who are miles ahead).

Do you think you'll finish the season today?

Do you think you'll finish the season today?

That's the plan, I'm off to Plymouth to play a gig on Saturday so won't have any FM time, then I'm recording with a different band during the week, so again limited time.

Wouldn't take much to get in.

No, but then I don't know if it's in us to even do the little it would take!

You can do it.

I like your confidence :p

I thought I would let you guys know in advance that if SnakeXe does finish today I won't be able to do much tomorrow as I'm going to the Rugby League Challenge Cup final. If I get access to the save this evening I will try and get something up tonight though :)

April 2013

Hayes & Yeading 0-1 Staines (BSP)

We gave Hayes & Yeading a taste of what we usually get, beating them with our only shot on target - you guessed it, a Parkinson header.

Braintree 1-1 Staines (BSP)

Not a fantastic game for us, Faye's tidy finish rescuing a point after we'd gone behind.

Staines 3-0 Ebbsfleet (BSP)

Wow! Our best performance in months to slap down Ebbsfleet and put ourselves right back in the playoff hunt. Faye was looking confident again as he hit a brace, the other coming from a very familiar source.

Fleetwood 3-0 Staines (BSP)

Pretty disastrous, a morale-sapping thumping and a bad injury for Faye. Still, any win in the next game against already-relegated Barrow would see us claim a playoff spot.

Staines 2-1 Barrow (BSP)

Well, we ran it close, but we did it! Iqbal scored a rare goal from a break before Montgomery scored an opportunistic goal, robbing their centreback in the penalty area and finishing well. Barrow got one back, but didn't really mount sustained pressure. In the end we would have got the spot regardless of the result here.

League Table

Bottom of the playoff spots means playing top - York. I'm going to have to go away and think about how we approach this one.

Finances

It seems those mini-profits were false profits, seeing as it says we made a loss last month now. Never mind eh.

Play-Offs \o/. It appears that win against Hayes & Yeading proved to be crucial.

Yeah, if we'd lost that they'd have gotten in. Tight margins!

fantastic achievement for us to get play-off's at first try, good luck with York :thup:

Thanks, I'll need it!

Blue Square Premier Playoff Semi-Final First Leg

abDyA.png

Where on earth did that performance come from?! I took a gamble told the players to relax and enjoy the game without pressure, and by jove they didn't half do that! We absolutely murdered them, the only shame is we didn't put the tie completely out of sight, with just a couple of headers from the centrebacks to show for 90 minutes of pure brilliance. We haven't played like this since 2012, absolutely delighted!

Blue Square Premier Playoff Semi-Final Second Leg

O2IF6.png

Oh dear god that was tense! We just didn't switch on until they had equalised, but after that we started to pick holes in their defence the same way we did at home, and finally got our reward through Faye! We went back into defensive mode, and did a much better job of keeping them at arms' length this time, holding on to book our ticket to the final!

Archived