FM12 Smylie v Roberts - England vs the Rest of the World!

PaulHartman71

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of puts me in a position where anything other than first would be underachieving :(

I was just thinking that it slightly puts the pressure on you a bit. Great season SnakeXe, and thanks for doing so much for our cause. We're just ahead of the ROTW team now (both top first season, us doing better in the second), though not much in it.

Danny Roberts' Staines Town

Season 2 (2012/13) Review - SnakeXe

Story of the Season:

Blue Square Premier - 5th, Playoff Finalists

So close, yet so far. We played like title challengers for 2 or 3 months of the season, but the rest was definitely the mid-table expected.

FA Cup - 2nd Round (lost v Walsall)

Missed out on a lucrative tie away to Stoke thanks to Walsall's daylight robbery.

FA Trophy - 2nd Round (lost v Ebbsfleet)

Didn't have the squad to make a proper go of this really.

Transfers - Broke even

No fees once more.

Results 1 - Results 2 - Results 3 - Squad

Awards:

[/url]BSP Player of the Month (December) - Steve Parkinson

BSP Player of the Month (January) - Steve Parkinson

Key Players:

James Faye - ST - It's a bit chicken or the egg whether his big goal drought caused our bad spell or whether us being bad stopped him scoring, but whenever he played well we generally won

Danny Leonard - D/ML - We missed him greatly with his two big injury layoffs, especially in the playoff final

Steve Parkinson - DC/DM - Popped up with important set piece goals all season

Richard Montgomery - AMR/ST - A little inconsistent but could be devastating either up front or on the right

Alan Gordon - DM/MC - Solid, tidy and consistent at the base of a 3 man midfield or as part of a 2

Next Season:

Well having come so close it's tempting to say we're not far from promotion, but I think the squad could use a large amount of improving, or else we'll find League Two very tricky indeed. The players to retain are fairly obvious from the updates I've done I think - Parkinson, Faye, Montgomery, Leonard, Gordon, Iqbal, Annan and Annikey are definitely of the right quality. The rest of the squad could do with an overhaul I think.

My greatest achievement, I think, is leaving the club in the black! :cool::D

Good luck, ri916 - here's the save file!

Thanks everyone! I definitely think a season's consolidation will be no bad thing, although the chance to nip ahead of ROTW would obviously have been even better.

PH71 - please add me back on to the bottom of the England list :)

Can I go back to the bottom of the list please? I know I bottled it last time, but if they don't mind. Can I please?

I have nothing against you but I wouldn't want to be pushed back because you went in front of me after giving up the first time.

Well I wouldn't I? Because it's your go now. Hence why I've asked now. So in theory, you'd go behind me.

No because atm snakeXe is at the bottom (assuming he wants to) Then you would be put in before I had finished by season and gone to the bottom, so I would be pushed back, just not this time round.

So the board has had the cheek to slash the wage budget to 3.9k! There better be a more lucrative option available for winning the league.

I have identified 5 players I would like to add to the team

AML

MC

2xDC

DR

Surprisingly enough I am more than happy with the starting ST's. I will play up to the first game of the season and then give my preseason report including Transfers, friendlies and other news. That update is likely to be on Sunday.

They cut it?! We made a very decent profit last season, and already had one of the smallest wage bills in the division. I don't see the logic in that at all - I was hoping it'd be increased by a couple of thousand per week.

They cut it?! We made a very decent profit last season, and already had one of the smallest wage bills in the division. I don't see the logic in that at all - I was hoping it'd be increased by a couple of thousand per week.

I picked league winner in the expectations so it is now at 4.6k/week, which I believe is about what it was for you?

Pre-season

Ceesay (37), Rogers (82)

A tough test early on as I tried the 'Romanista 4-3-3' against League 2 opposition and I must say we were very impressive indeed! We put constant pressure on the Grimsby defence, however we had an early scare when a Grimsby cross bounced off a Grimsby player and went in but it was ruled out for offside. Booth and Ceesay missed great chances early on but I had a feeling it would be our day and I was correct as Rogers and Ceesay showed their understanding of each other with Rogers' over the top ball sending Ceesay throgh who put in a good finish. We added to our tally in the 2nd half as new signing Broadhead showed his willingness to get involved as he played in Rogers who drilled it home. The League 2 side had not one shot on target as we were also solid in defence.

Barber (pen 19), O'Neill (32)

Another tough test for us against Championship opposition and I even sat Ceesay and Rogers out for this one. We got off to a dreadful start as poor marking allowed the Preston striker to find the top corner in 2 minutes. Then a free-kick caused a scramble in our area and we fell behind to a 2nd goal. It looked like being a long day for us but we managed to fight back very well, Broadhead was chopped down in the area and Barber sent the pen into the top corner to put us back in it. A sign of things to come as O'Neill tested the keeper before our striker picked out the far corner with a good shot to level the scores at 2-2. We managed to hold on until the 56th minute when the Preston player was allowed to get to the edge of the box and beat our keeper. He did the same again to make it 4-2 so we lost but put up a great fight!

Cunningham (58), O'Connor (80), Ceesay (90+1)

Considering we faced BSN opposition I would have liked this to be a bit more comfortable. The front three of Booth, Rogers and Ceesay was restored but the rest of the team was relatively inexperienced, including a debut for young Harrop and a 2nd debut for new boy Wright. We were dominant in the first half but the closest we came was when Ceesays effort was tipped onto the post. Despite our efforts, Altrincham took the lead though when Davies smothered a great chance but it only fell onto the head of their striker who headed home despite the best efforts by Davies to recover. It took us only 2 minutes to equalise though as Ceesays deflected effort fell into the path of Cunningham who finished it off. We lost the lead again however as a cut back was finished off by the same guy. We had to wait till 10 minutes from time to level it as sub O'Connor headed in Rogers' corner. It looked like a draw but in the last minute a clever ball by Cunningham picked out Ceesay who took a touch before getting our winner.

Savage (27)

A very disappointing defeat here. The first goal was a header in off the post from a cross. We didn't take long to equalise but it came out of nowhere as Savage sent a 30 yard rocket into the top corner. It didn't last as a pull back was finished off by the Droylsden striker. Droylsdens 3rd goal came after a deflected cross fell into the path of the Droylsden player who scored.

Booth (82)

To be fair to us the media expected a hammering and we didn't give Everton Reserves an easy ride. In fact we would have taken the lead had debutant Lennons header from a Rogers free-kick counted, but it was controversially disallowed for offside. 0-0 at the break but it didn't take them long to lead after scrambling it home from a corner. They had a goal disallowed for offside also after a through ball but their next one cut through our defence as they made it 2-0. We did manage one goal as Howells terrific cross was met by a Booth diving header. But a cross which was headed in sealed the win for Everton Reserves but it was an expected defeat.

Simon (2), Rogers (13), Ceesay (24), O'Connor (47)

The media predicted once again a hammering but they didn't think we'd be the ones doing it! The scoreline made it look closer than it really was. We got started when Rogers' corner found Barber whose header was saved but only to debutant Simon who scored less than 2 minutes into his debut. A dodgy passback then saw Rogers pounce and double our lead. The rout continued when Rogers' pull back was finished off from close range by Ceesay. Wigan reserves were harshly reduced to ten men when Mendoza was brought down but we couldn't stop and Rogers' corner was then headed in by O'Connor. They did get a couple back, from a through ball and a header from a corner but we did really well to win this one and a great result for the new season. Livett and Bredbury also made their debuts.

Transfers

Well the squad Rancer left me was pretty strong already so a few depth additions and maybe a couple of starters have been added in.

Heinrich Simon - The German Under 19 international certainly has a bright future ahead of him and is already more than good enough to compete at this level.

Gus Wright - I'm sure Romanista will be familiar with this name after signing him on loan in season 1, I've managed to grab him for free and he should be our starting right back this season as well as having potential.

John Davenport and Michael Saddington - Two youngsters that were just incredibly cheap but will probably leave at the end of the season, can maybe be back-ups to Ceesay.

Brett Bedbury - Another good goalkeeper to compete with Davies and McMahon for a place in the squad.

Michael Lennon - A 17 year old CM with great potential.

Duncan Livett - Set to play a role in the first team, the 19 year old cost a lot but I beat off League 1 and 2 clubs to his signature so he must be good.

August

Rogers (1)

After a positive pre-season in my opinion we kicked off the season away to relegated Accrington Stanley (who are they?), not an easy start by any means. Debuts were handed to Bredbury in goal, Wright at right back as well as 2 CMs Livett and Wall. Ceesay was given a rest for today as Howell started up-front. It was a phenomenal start though as Wright sent in a deep cross from the right wing and Rogers managed to sneak his header in despite the keepers efforts after less than a minute! Accringtons long throws were causing us some problems however and they managed to equalise when a long throw was brought down and scored. Accrington hit the post with a tight angled effort but otherwise the first half passed without action. There was a scare after 66 minutes when Bredbury saved one shot before the rebound hit the inside of the post and bounced out. The game ended in a draw which was probably the right result in the end.

Ceesay (34, 77)

No rest for us as we played again 3 days later, changes were made, Ceesay returned to the line up as well as debuts for Harrop and Broadhead. It was a terrible start as we conceded from a free-kick after 2 minutes. Bredbury was then forced to save after a shot from a cut-back. We did get a leveller before the break as Banks picked out Ceesay who does what he does and placed it into the corner. The 2nd half was a bit end to end but I was mightily relieved with 15 minutes to go when Banks once again picked out Ceesay with a through ball and the Gambian failed to disappoint, his 2nd to give us the lead. 2 on target, 2 goals but I'm not complaining!

Wall (88)

Luton are predicted to be top this season so I anticipated another tough encounter. Howell came back in for Ceesay for this one. Well 27 seconds is how long it took for us to concede as a cross was tapped in at the far post. They then scored again after a free-kick, the second direct free-kick we'd conceded already. It was a bad first half, and this Luton side looked far better than we did. Bredbury had to tip over a header from a corner as Luton continued to dominate. Miller then missed a golden opportunity to bring us level when his shot was saved. Bredbury then had to save from a distanced effort, tipping it round the post. Then they hit the cross-bar from the resulting corner. Bredbury was constantly in action and had to save again from a snapshot in 70 minutes. They then hit the bar 8 minutes later. A shot from distance forced him to save again. We however did get a lifeline with 3 minutes to go as Livett set up Wall on the edge of the box and he found the top corner to open his account for the club. Unfortunately we couldn't build on it but Luton deserved to win by more than one goal.

Rogers (4), Ceesay (89)

Darlington were the only side without a point after three games so surely we should win here. Howell was ruled out with flu and Ceesay took his place in the line-up. We led after a minute when Booth unselfishly centered the ball and Rogers tucked it away at the back post. Rogers then headed over when he was completely free in the box after a Wright cross. Broadhead then picked out Ceesay who went for goal but hit the bar. Pratt was the last man though and lost the ball sending their striker through on goal on the stroke of half-time, to my relief though he hit the cross-bar. We were 1-0 up at the break but I felt we could do better. We looked to have a 2nd on 66 minutes when Broadheads first time ball put through Ceesay who scored but the flag was up. I must say Darlington looked much more dangerous in the second half but we wrapped it up 2 minutes from time as Banks played in Ceesay who scored yet again. Happy we got the win in the end. Wall did bruise his rib in the match which is a shame.

O'Connor (26)

Direct free-kicks have always been an issue for us this season, this one hit the bar with another scoring from the rebound. We tried to equalise as Broadheads effort was tipped over the bar. But we did from the corner as a result of it as Rogers sent it to the near post where O'Connor headed home. In the last minute of the half Histon almost retook the lead after a goalmouth scramble following a corner but we cleared. They however took the lead with 15 minutes to go as a free-kick was headed in. They looked more likely to grab a third and another cross saw a header tipped over by Bredbury. A disappointing defeat as we appear to be struggling away from home.

Summary

A bit of a slow start to the season but at least we've gotten some of the tougher fixtures out of the way away to Accrington and Luton. This could be tougher than I thought though

Transfers

A lot of cheap youngsters who are basically on a one year trial period.

Tom Ogden (from Hampton & Richmond)

Steve Brookfield (from Thurrock)

Romario Amoako

Phil Kenworthy

Brian Coward

Daniel Morse

Lee Robinson

Elliott Westcarr

Ricky Walker (from Tonbridge)

Colin Henderson

And a couple of experienced heads

Paul Stewart

Aaron O'Brien

And one player leaving

Don Savage - Was not a bad player but deserved somewhere where he would have more playing time so off to Woking he goes.

Table

bluesquarebetpremierovez.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Some good signings there ManUTactician247, Gus Wright wasn't very good under my management so I'm glad to see that we still aren't paying him anything. :D

Ceesay, Rogers and O'Connor scoring this month. :thup:

Well Wright did get an assist two minutes into his re-debut if you like. He is injured now though :(. I'm delighted to see Ceesay and Rogers scoring, without them this would be a very poor season indeed.

September

They may be above us but we've looked good at home this season, hopefully we could keep that going. Heinrich Simon is given his debut at the back. Halifax were denied a penalty claim after nine minutes but it was us who had the first good chance as Booth burst into the box before seeing his effort denied by an acrobatic save. Rogers then swung in the corner and Barber hit the bar somehow from close range. Halifax took the lead though after a low cross was easily finished off. They soon got a second after a ridiculous attempt at a clearance by Harrop fell to a striker inside the six yard box who had a simple finish. A poor performance in the end, we need to get out of this inconsistent form.

Howell (21), Miller (90+2)

Next up a tough trip to Crewe. Howell put in to replace Ceesay the only notable change. We started well for a change and after 20 minutes took the lead as Broadhead slipped in Howell who picked out the far corner to open his account for the season. 1-0 to us at the break and we were looking good but with 1 goal in it anything could happen. As I predicted Crewe did put the ball into the back of the net but fortunately their header from a cross was ruled offside. Crewe scored again after a through ball put the same player through on 89 minutes but incredible luck meant that once again the flag went up against him! Later in injury time Rogers sent Ceesay who had come off the bench through but he couldn't finish, however the loose ball picked up by Rogers whose low cross was finished off by Miller to seal our win. A very good performance and I think we deserved the win in the end. The bad news is that Wright is 5 weeks out with a broken wrist.

Ceesay (16, 21, 24, 58), O'Connor (87)

Ceesay back in for this one as we looked to get 2 wins in a row for once. We almost lost the lead after cheaply losing possession in the box but Bredbury saved us. It was us who took the lead after a terrific ball by Peacock sent Ceesay away and no-one had any doubt he was gonna score as we took the lead. Bredbury was called into action again, saving a snapshot. Ceesay done it again when Booth played it across and from close range it was a simple goal. It didn't take long for the Gambian to get his hat-trick, being fed the ball by Broadhead, his turn and shot found the bottom right. We really should have had a 4th on the stroke of half-time but Barber somehow headed over from Rogers' corner. Rogers had another corner in the 2nd half and once again Barber was there but hit the bar. However Ceesays day was getting better and better, Rogers played the pass and Ceesay rounded the keeper before getting his 4th. York had a chance to pull one back after being through on goal but Bredbury stopped it with his legs. Late on we even got a 5th, a goalmouth scramble saw Booths deflected effort headed in by O'Connor. York did actually get one back after a great volley went in off the post. It was a harsh result on York considering they had more shots on target than us but Ceesay was in devastating form.

Booth (19), Broadhead (25), Ceesay (65), Rogers (68)

Did I mention how sick I am of direct free-kicks as we conceded yet another after 2 minutes, you'd think these guys were Premier League players the way they take these! We did get an equaliser though as Rogers slipped in Booth who drilled it home. We then went one better and took the lead, Peacock giving it to Broadhead who went for it from 25 yards and scored in the far corner, not a bad first for the club. We'd done well to turn it around to 2-1 but it still wasn't that comfortable. Hayes and Yeading looked good in the 2nd half but a quick break which saw Wall thread in Ceesay and he typically scored and marked a historic 50th goal in his Colwyn Bay career, what form he is in. We immediately went and got a 4th as Booth burst clear down the right and his cross found Rogers who blasted it into the roof of the net. Ceesay almost got another after turning and shooting in the area but the keeper just kept it out. They got one back from a corner after one of their players was in way too much room. In the end, it was a comfortable victory and we look in good form at the moment!

Boreham Wood 0-0 Colwyn Bay

Since winning the BSS Boreham Wood have struggled, only 4 points and bottom of the table, we must surely win here. Ceesay is given a well deserved rest as Howell gets a chance. Michael Lennon makes his debut in the middle. Boreham Wood started better though and Bredbury made an incredible double save to keep us on level terms. It was a very disappointing first half where we were slightly lucky to be level. A big improvement was required in the 2nd 45. The 2nd half didn't go much better as they rattled the bar with a header. The game ended 0-0, a big disappointment, we should have won this.

Broadhead (12), Rogers (18), Booth (68)

A winnable game at home definitely, Alan Gill made his debut at the back as well as Ceesay back in the team. We got off to a great start as Broadhead picked up a loose ball in the area and bent it into the top corner, he's looked like a terrific signing so far. Then it was about time a direct free-kick of ours went in and Rogers did just that, managing to find the corner despite the efforts of the keeper. We almost got a third goal when Peacocks long distance effort was spilt. We looked good at the break, 2-0 up. Could we hold it? Well we started off the 2nd half by letting them through on goal but fortunately their striker missed one-on-one. We did get a third which looked to seal it, a typical break by us saw Rogers break clear down the left and his low cross was tucked away by Booth to surely seal our win. We just had to lose our clean sheet in injury time as Davies was in no mans land when the cross was played in and it was a simple header into an empty net.

Summary: I would classify this as a successful month, a dreadful defeat at home to Halifax seemed to kick us into gear as we beat Crewe 2-0, York 5-1 and Hayes and Yeading 3-2. Boreham Wood, the one team I expected to defeat held us to a goalless draw. We still won 3-1 against Salisbury which puts us just out of the play-offs for now.

Transfers

Some new faces arrive

Alan Gill

Luke Daniel

Scott Price

Table

bluesquarebetpremieroveq.png

October

Booth (46)

A tough away fixture to a fellow Welsh side, this game should test us hugely away from home. Wrexham almost scored early on but a good effort was tipped onto the post by Davies. They could have got one from a corner but Davies was once again equal to the header. But the inevitable goal came when we headed away a corner, it came out to the Wrexham player who hit a bullet into the top corner. Davies had to save again from a distanced effort as Wrexham were looking like getting more. A terrible first half by our standards but as soon as the 2nd half started we showed a goal can be scored any second, Ceesay turned provider this time, slipping in Booth who kept composed and finished. Wrexham almost did the same thing but put it wide. Wrexham did however retake the lead as a defence splitting through ball put through the scorer of the first goal and he made no mistake. We looked to have levelled with 15 minutes to go as Walls cross was headed in by Rogers but the flag was up. We had a great chance to level it in the last minute when Booth took the ball off the last defender but saw his effort saved, a disappointing defeat.

Livett (15), Booth (30, 46), Barber (75), Rogers (80)

Looking to bounce back, we faced Stockport at home. It was us who struck first when Booth pulled it back to Livett on the edge of the box and the youngster failed to disappoint, finding the target and giving us the lead for his 1st for the club. Stockport came close but it was us who found the second goal, Broadhead spotted the run of Booth cutting inside and the winger found the bottom corner. I thought we were pretty safe at half-time and 30 seconds into the second half I was proven right as Ceesays first-time cross was tapped in by Booth for his second. A fourth came 15 minutes from time as Rogers' corner picked out Barber who in turn picked out the far corner with his header. The rout continued with ten to go as Rogers floated a free-kick over the wall and in. Stockport probably deserved at least a goal but didn't get it as in the last minute they hit the post. All in all a great victory today, now hopefully we could repeat it next match!

Rogers (40, 63), Barber (76)

So we face the other side to be relegated from League 2 away, we go into this knowing a win would send us into the play-offs but it is still a tough fixture. Aldershot had the first chance as they picked up a loose ball in the area and shot but Bredbury made a fine save. Bredbury was forced into action to save a shot from someone who broke into the box. Aldershot were dominant in the first half but we showed our ability to grind out results as Booth broke free for once down the right and his cross was slid in by Rogers and we led at Aldershot. We had the most undeserved lead at half-time, now it was a matter of keeping it. Aldershot had a rejected penalty claim about 7 minutes into the half. We even somehow managed to pull a second out of the bag, Gus Wright who had just returned from injury sent in a lovely cross which Rogers obligingly headed in for his second. Then disaster struck as Ceesay was brought off injured, we can only pray it wasn't serious. In the mean time we actually scored a third as Rogers' free-kick from the left was headed in by Barber. 3-0 was a harsh result on Aldershot but we took our chances well and that puts us 4th in the play-offs!

Ceesay (4), Barber (17), OG (62)

A very winnable home game and with news that Ceesay was completely ok, the team should be ready to win. We were right off the blocks and it was that man Ceesay who sent us into the lead after heading in from Rogers' free-kick. It was another Rogers free-kick that led to our second goal, crossing it from the edge of the box for Barber to grab his third goal in three games. Livett then played a through ball for Booth whose effort was saved for a corner. Broadhead then played a clever header which put Ceesay through but the keeper was equal to it again. Broadhead once again put him in with a through ball but was unfortunate to see his finish hit the post. Bredbury did have to make one save at the end of the half, stopping a turn and shot in the area but we were the better team, no doubt. We did get our third in the 2nd half, Livett played a teasing through ball into the box and after pressure from Booth the defender scored an own goal. Kidderminster almost scored one after a header hit the bar but we cleared. Then a great tackle by O'Connor unfortunately put their striker through but Bredbury did really well to block the angle and save the shot. A solid victory which takes us up to 3rd.

Ceesay (6)

Hoping we could avoid complacency after a great run of form recently which sees us in the play-offs, a win would be a great way to end the month. It started well, 5 minutes in and a lovely ball over the top by Simon sent Ceesay away and he only needed one touch to round the keeper before tapping it in. They almost levelled it from a corner when a header hit the bar which caused a massive scramble in the box which luckily we got a free-kick out of. We then countered Cambridge from their free-kick as Ceesay got into the box but was unlucky to see his drive hit the post. We were 1-0 up at the break, not that comfortable and Cambridge were looking dangerous from set-pieces which we need to sort out. We should have gone 2 up when Ceesays cut back found Broadhead but he could only smash it at the keeper. We looked very nervous in the 2nd half and almost conceded with 20 minutes to go after a daisy-cutter was tipped away by Bredbury. Then a low cross picked out its man and Bredbury had to save again. I didn't know how much longer we could hold out, even a clearance managed to put their striker through and our hero in goal Bredbury had to make a double save to keep them out. Cambridge did manage to get one in on 92 minutes when a cross was easily finished but the offside flag saved us! It was well offside but I didn't know that when it went in! Somehow we held out for the victory and no-one was as happy as me when I found out we were 2nd in the table now!

Summary

Another very productive month which sees us 2nd in the table and just 2 points off Halifax at the top! If we can keep up this form, promotion looks a strong possibility. I can only laugh at the media who thought we were going to finish 20th before the season. The form of Rogers, Booth and Ceesay has been immense, no-one can stop these guys. Rogers especially has both scored and provided so many at this early stage, lets keep this up!

Table

bluesquarebetpremierove.png

Archived