FM12 Smylie v Roberts - England vs the Rest of the World!

PaulHartman71

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can right-click and select 'view image' if it's too small, but you're right about the points. Must admit I hadn't even been looking at the playoff places, as I expected the gap to be a lot larger. Done most of December and it is larger now and unless a good run gets us close it won't be in my mind.

December 2014 – Staines

Barnet 0-0 Staines

Going to the league leaders was always going to be tough. For a lot of the first half it was an intense survival mission, and they had a goal disallowed, the rest of the game wasn’t so bad, we were able to come out of our shell a bit near the end but a winner would have been robbing them blind.

Staines 2-2 Crewe

We had only lost 1 league game in 2 months, and almost suffered another here. We had only ourselves to blame. Minutely-competent finishing would have given us the lead before half-time, the Iqbal got a straight red card 10 minutes into the second half. Crewe were bound to score, and did in the 68th minute. Montgomery equalized in the 84th minute, but an 89th minute Crewe goal seemed to have lost it for us. Lowe snatched a point deep in stoppage time, but it had been a very lucky escape.

Aldershot 2-2 Staines

This was a tough game to see in the busy festive season, and the latest of a number of draws in these sorts of games (and 3rd in a row in the league). Like with Crewe we were lucky as they took the lead after 10 minutes, and while Evans equalized in the 32nd minute they were clearly on top, retaking the lead after an hour, but Rogers gave us another point, though we now hadn’t won in 4 games.

Staines 2-0 Fleetwood

We served up a strong Boxing day win. Rogers scored in the 7th minute, and we were so on top that we really should have had more than just a Browne header in the 65th minute as a follow up.

Staines 4-1 Gillingham

Montgomery scored in the 20th minute as we looked set for another win. They equalized in the 25th minute, then Lowe missed a penalty. Rogers finally restored the lead in the 52nd minute, followed by Lowe scoring in the 69th minute, then making up for his earlier miss to finish the win off with a penalty.

Wycombe 3-2 Staines

We had a couple of regulars missing but that didn’t excuse what should have been a routine game against a bottom 2 side. They were 2-0 up after 7 minutes, but Lowe gave us a chance with a goal just before the break. I was hoping for another Grimsby and we really should have equalized by the time they struck for the 3rd time in the 75th minute, rendering Montgomery’s late goal meaningless. It was only our second league defeat since Shrewsbury at the start of October, but it really shouldn’t have been.

dec14.jpg

Generally a good autumn, a number of draws (a lot of them good), few defeats, closer to the playoffs than I thought we'd be (despite Wycombe). Strong first season at this level so far despite lots of young players coming in, which would always make it more difficult in the short-term. Finances aren't so good. Started the season 180k in the red, now 250k. The stadium expansion is now complete, so we can seat 2000 in a stadium of 4000.

January 2015 – Staines

Staines 1-0 Northampton

A slow start to the new year against a team above us in the table, what few chances there were came from us and we just about deserved the win, a McLaren shot turned in for an own-goal at the start of the second half.

Port Vale 2-2 Staines

We got off to a good start with a Montgomery goal, but they hit their stride and equalized just before the break. The start of the second half saw Rogers head in a McLaren free-kick, but they kept coming, Hale’s performance dropped off and he conceded another Vale equalizer (which on balance they admittedly deserved). I was worried we’d go on to lose, especially as Nicoll was about to be subbed off when he got sent off instead.

Plymouth 2-1 Staines

We had a man advantage from early on, but failed to really make the most of it. On his return from injury, Potts gave us a 39th minute lead. After their 56th minute equalizer, we looked good for another, but they took control and snatched the win instead.

jan15.jpg

A postponed match against Oxford (as well as other clubs' cup participation) meant just 3 games this month. The rescheduled game at the start of February was also postponed as our pitch is still waterlogged, and I bet there's still a hosepipe ban. Rather disappointed as though neither the Port Vale draw or narrow Plymouth defeat was anything to bang the table about, while we were leading against the former we were just a point and a place from the playoff places and I was starting to think about a potential playoff push for the first time, but not going to get anywhere near them like this.

Feb 2015 –Staines

Staines 0-3 Scunthorpe

We started very badly, conceding 2 goals (with another disallowed) in the first 20 minutes. We improved and really should have got a goal back at least before they got a late 3rd that made it look worse than it was.

Chesterfield 2-1 Staines

We looked very strong in the first half with Simpson giving us the lead in the 20th minute. Unfortunately the early stages in the 2nd half saw Iqbal get sent off for the 3rd time all, then Rogers’ injury reducing us to 9 men. The match would only go one way after that.

Dagenham 0-0 Staines

A team meeting bucked us up for what was a hectic game, but on balance they had it better so what we pleasing was how well we resisted.

Staines 1-2 Morecambe

Much like Chesterfield, we were 1-0 up at the break, from a goal by young Shaun Evans. They equalized in the 54th minute, and a Marcel Browne red card ensured they would be the only winner.

Staines 0-1 Oxford

We finally played this at the 3rd time of asking. Lowe had a goal disallowed in the 5th minute which would have given us a shot at a result. We resisted against strong pressure for the rest of the half but they struck at the start of the second for yet another frustrating defeat.

Staines 3-1 Cheltenham

We needed to stop the decline in form against the league’s bottom club. Lowe had an early goal which was allowed to stand this time, followed by a Simpson header a few minutes before the break. Lowe scored another in the 77th minute, and I didn’t care about their consolation, such was the relief, just like when we beat them in September.

feb15.jpg

Awful month pretty much ending our chances of a playoff push, though it's not impossible. However only dropped one place, and still looking pretty safe, so no pressure from now on.

March 2015 –Staines

Shrewsbury 1-1 Staines

A Montgomery-assisted own-goal gave us a surprise lead after 10 minutes. They didn’t push back as much as I feared but still equalized in the 71st minute as we got our traditional ‘point away to the strong sides’.

Yeovil 3-1 Staines

Against the 22nd placed side we had a good chance for points. Montgomery gave us the lead after 15 minutes, and we looked good for more, but the defence threw it away late in the half by gifting them a pair of goals to take the lead, and we totally lost control afterwards. We conceded one more in the second half, and it could have been worse.

Staines 0-1 Burton

We had a mildly improved performance for a lot of this game, but they started taking control, and had the lead after 63 minutes. We pushed them hard late on and were so unlucky not to get something.

Notts County 2-2 Staines

We started with a bang, Rogers giving us an early lead, and we looked for more for a while. I had a bad feeling when they started pushing back. The referee disallowed an equalizer, then made it up to them by giving them a stupid penalty that they levelled from instead. Having had a terrible debut season, Richards finally scored a few minutes into the second half, but a Notts County equalizer came from nowhere, adding this to a very long list of games where we were unlucky not to get more.

Staines 4-1 AFC Wimbledon

Things looked bad from the start. They had a goal disallowed, then Webster got sent off conceding a penalty which they scored from. We weren’t beaten yet, and Rogers equalized after half an hour. We didn’t stop there, and Montgomery gave us the lead in the 70th minute, soon getting another. Evans finished off a fantastic win.

Wrexham 2-0 Staines

They struck early on, as our fellow promotees looked destined for the playoffs. In a season of unlucky games this was one of the worse as we had an excellent second half, though couldn’t quite equalize, not helped by a season-ending injury for Rogers, then they hit us with a last minute second, giving the game a very misleading scoreline.

mar15.jpg

A mixed bag of a month where we deserved a lot more. As happy as I am about where we are in the table the number of points dropped either through bad luck or stupidity has been incredible. Will go on to complete the season now.

April/May 2015 – Staines

Staines 1-1Grimsby (200th Staines game!)

We reached 200 games, and Faye marked it with a penalty. Again we shipped a stupid equalizer late in the half, which cost us as with Montgomery’s injury meaning both regular forwards were out for the rest of the season, we pounded away in the second half and had no excuses for not finishing them off regardless.

Accrington 2-1 Staines

The boot was on the other foot from the last game. Accrington had an early goal disallowed, soon took the lead anyway, and looked set for a few more before Faye equalized on the stroke of half-time. However unlike us against Grimsby they did eventually finish us off, as this was one tough away game we didn’t snatch a point from.

Staines 1-4 Barnet

Yet again we faced a playoff/promotion chasing side, but had at least had a proper go against the others. This time we were 2-0 down at half-time with barely a wimper. Evans scored early in the second half to give us a chance but a quick Barnet double finished off any chance of getting something.

Crewe 1-1 Staines

Not much was expected us, but with Evans having an goal disallowed, it was painful to see them take the lead instead. Thankfully the players didn’t lose heart so easily (like with AFC Wimbledon) and Simpson snatched a late point.

Staines 2-1 Aldershot

In our last home game, Simpson scored his 10th header of the season to give us the lead, but they equalized early in the second half, and try as we might it looked like we’d have to settle for a point until Simpson saved us in stoppage time.

Fleetwood 0-1 Staines

There was nothing riding on the last game of the season. The first half was one-way traffic in their favour, but the second was all about us, and a goal from Lowe gave us a good end to the season after a poor second half.

final15.jpg

End of Season – Staines 2014-15

League: 13th (Pred: 23rd)

We had a messy start that got me very worried, then we were able to pick up with a solid run of form until Christmas. Just as we looked to make a playoff challenge form suddenly dropped off until the final couple of games. The Aldershot win was only our 4th of 2015, the final day saw our first away win since early November. What mattered is we held reasonably steady in the league, and I’d easily have taken this finish at the start of the year.

FA Cup: 1st round

League Cup: 1st round

JPT: South Quarter Final.

Squad

The squad size caused some problems with a few very unhappy players (mainly in midfield, but also McCarthy), not helped by those players being mostly rubbish when they did get the chance and it would have to be trimmed in the summer, but we do have a very strong young core which should serve us well until we rise much further, so whoever goes or stays it provides a very strong foundation to be built on. Typically no one really stood out but here are a few of the better contributors who are probably worth keeping...

Liam Browne

The only player I had to pay anything for showed his heading prowess from the start. Wasn't that consistent but definitely one of the stronger defenders.

Bob Evans

On paper we're not too strong on the wings but Evans showed strong attacking prowess even from out wide, and was still dependable serving up front later on

Terry Lowe

His ability to play on both wings was invaluable, started slowly and still had off days later on but still delivered often enough.

Richard Montgomery

The better player, both in terms of goals and assists, of a strong partnership with Rogers (another who has probably earned himself the right to stay) up front. Admitedly faded away after a great start to the season but a definite threat at this level.

Les Simpson

Our best player ratings-wise thanks to being our 3rd top scorer with 13 goals. Was also one of our more consistent players defensively, though nothing to shout about.

Adam Webster

Doesn't look like much does he? Thankfully he proved to be a player worth keeping on the left.

Finances

Unsurprisingly we have by far the smallest wage bill in the division, just over 500kpa (9.7kpw) compared to the next lowest of 860kpa from relegated Grimsby. Not that it’s helping financially. Another stadium expansion of 1000 standing places (which would take us to 5000 capacity, 2000 seated) while relatively inexpensive compared to last year’s one, means that even with a 250k solidarity payment, the balance keeps spiralling downwards, having been a steady 180k in the red until we were knocked out of the cups, we’re now a very worrying 420k in the red.

Summary

While it was an unimpressive season I did what I set out to do. First survival wasn’t really an issue after a chaotic first couple of months. I also helped assemble a squad with a lot of excellent young players in it, even though I knew I’d face a lot of short term pain with gelling, growing, lack of consistency, stupid mistakes, and all sorts of issues. Having a long-running career with signing players under 21 meant that I expected all that, but I also know that after the short-term pain things get a lot better. We already showed what we could do in some of the toughest games of the season (well maybe not winning, but certainly holding our own), and those two JPT wins against good League 1 sides.

It is the end, but the moment has been prepared for...

*Begins regeneration...*

Save File

Pretty inconsistent towards the end there, but 13th is still a great position to finish in, and well away from danger. Well done! :)
Very nicely done, delta, exactly the sort of season we needed.
nice season there delta, I added you back on the list as you previously expressed interest in wanting another go :thup:

Thanks guys, I think I did alright. And definitely wanted to be back on the list, thanks.

Well, this season became a bit of a chore towards the end. I'm not going to do a full update detailing all the league games, but here's the quick version:

400174046AC1F8B7C69EAC9717C6AF644C4B73FE

We blew automatic promotion thanks to our uneven form, brought about mostly by our inability to convert chances and kill off teams. As you can see, we had the best defensive record in the league and one of the best offensive records, but we managed to throw away a lot of games by drawing 0-0 or losing by a single goal. Fortunately, we performed when it mattered in the playoffs.

1E8A0496563DEE9589307B53EA32A1BB84C497AB

Right after the end of my last update our form turned to LWLWLWLW and pretty much stayed there until the end of the season. We dropped a lot of points against teams near the bottom of the table, like Northampton, Kettering or Aldershot. One defeat turned into victory would have allowed us to win the league, but I guess it doesn't really matter in the end.

57A9E2676C692557B0BF595288DCE8BBCE90DC80

Horgan was probably the best performer, although his formed dropped off sharply in the second half of the season. Other stand-out players included Kamau and Cronin. James was our second highest scorer, but overall his form was average. The youth intake was terrible - not a single player with more than half star potential and they were all released.

3B6C868CEFFCF4394C6C604AF8F2BA529D07FD58

We made a pretty bad loss this season, probably because some regulars were on non-contracts with huge appearance fees that ended up costing more than a regular contract. I tried to rectify that but they wouldn't accept any other offer than a non-contract.

Summary

Solid start and middle, crap late season, then again solid at the very end. We failed to make any waves in the cups, but I felt that getting the promotion was a priority this season. The players at the club should be good enough to keep us up next season, although probably with a less adventurous tactic. Getting a new goalkeeper is a priority, as McMahon is prone to silly mistakes while Cooke just never seemed to actually save any shots that were on target. Turning full-time on promotion should make it easier to find decent players. All contracts except one will expire in a month's time, so you can release all the players you feel won't make the cut.

The save is >>here<<. Good luck and apologies for being a crap updater.

Well, I've advanced one day so far. One Day. And this shows up.

stadium.png

Last year's average attendance was 1 555. The current stadium holds 4 000 with 625 of that being seated. Basically, we're being forced to pay for a stadium we don't need yet. Fun considering we're moving into league play and full time. I was hoping for a monthly $46K/month expense until 2030. So happy...

Nice work endtime! One quick question, what happened to Bredbury? I thought he was our best keeper not McMahon.

He was better than McMahon and was our first keeper in the first half of the season, then he got a contract offer from a different team and refused to negotiate a new one with Colwyn Bay.

yeah sorry but is probably best to remove your post or edit that stuff out, I'll take your word for it that you didn't use genie scout but that kind of thing isn't really encouraged in case someone did actually use genie scout.

Not really in the spirit to have other people scouting when it isn't their turn either, I would encourage cerud not to take notice of the post.

Fair enough! Like I said, I wasn't sure whether or not it would be okay, having read all the rules I guess I misinterpreted the part about allowing advice from other team members (or in this case just an onlooker), so I've edited it out now. :)

Not really in the spirit to have other people scouting when it isn't their turn either, I would encourage cerud not to take notice of the post.

Not really too sure what was posted, so I guess I don't need to worry about it. Although, I'm, now curious as to what I'm not supposed to take notice of...

On another note... to those who have had this save so far for ROW...do you know why I cannot change the Match Preparation settings? It's completely greyed out.

2015-2016 ROW Pre-Season

CBFC.jpg

Colwyn Bay FC - npower Football League Two

The Stats

npower Football League Two: Avoid relegation

FA Cup: Reach the 1st Round

Johnstone's Paint Trophy: Learn from the experience

Media Prediction: 24th of 24

Sky Bet Promotion Odds: 25-1

Wage Budget: $490 214

Currently Spending: $631 405 ($-141 191 cap space available)

Transfer Budget: $12 514

Main Kit Sponsorship: $21 600 (expires 2016)

Additional Kit Sponsor: $21 600 (expires 2016)

Stadium Sponsor: $8 000 (expires 2016)

Stadium Sponsor: $48 000 expires 2020)

League 2 TV Rights: $469 000

Average Ticket Price: $17.50

Average Season Ticket Price: $330

Season Ticket Holders: 995

Estimated Value: $650K

Loan Shark: $8.25M

National Club Ranking in England: 100th

Goals

• Survive in League 2
  • Cut costs

I had already cut a few players when I got my new budget. We are still almost $150 000 over. Unfortunately ROW, this will not be a year of growth; it will be a year of consolidation. We must cut costs, which means cut players. My goal is to survive in the league, possibly make some cash in a lucky cup run (hopefully) and reduce our number to players to something that makes more sense.

Not really too sure what was posted, so I guess I don't need to worry about it. Although, I'm, now curious as to what I'm not supposed to take notice of...

On another note... to those who have had this save so far for ROW...do you know why I cannot change the Match Preparation settings? It's completely greyed out.

Someone told your assistant to take care of match preparation perhaps? Adelaidean posted some players that he thought would be worth you getting. Will be interesting to see if you signed any of them without his help! :p

Good luck Cerud, looks like we've got a difficult job in our hands with the stadium nonsense, I hope you and LLR do a good job of consolidating the side in League 2 the next 2 seasons so I can take advantage of your work and grab all the glory. :D Just kidding, it's a team job. :)

Pre-Season Staines 2015-2016

Sorry about the delay in the updates, been very busy but I'm off!

Finances

After a slight increase in the wage bill, we had to offer all players full-time contracts with what you expect, meant that the wage bill increased significantly meaning no room for transfers. We had to let a number of high earners leave after their contract expired. Muhammed Igbal was the first to leave the club as he wanted £700 Per Week and for a player who had an average season and with other players in the same position I felt he had to go followed by Les Simpson who wanted a very large £1400 Per Week which we jsut couldnt afford seeing we are already currently in the red. After just one season at the club steve ramsey had to depart with similar circumstances to Les and finally but very unfortuantely Barrie Pots hazd to leave after serving the club well for the past 5 years but we just couldn't negotiate a fair wage so that was that. We are significantly in the red which could be a problem this year as we don't have the finances to bring in players so the current squad will have to do.

Transfers

As said above I had very little room for manoveure so with the exception of one signing player -24 year old very talented shane dixonm who can provide great versatillity for the midfield and the strike force then their we no transfer activity which is dissapointing but I feel I can work well with the current squad.

Shane Dixon - Very talented player who has played for his country before was bought in after being released from his previous club can bring in a lot of potential with the abillity to change matches at the same time.

Archived