FM12 Smylie v Roberts - England vs the Rest of the World!

PaulHartman71

January and February 2016 Update

150px-Staines_Town_FC.jpg

League

We was set for a very busy couple of months due to cup commitments and having to replay postponed league games. So this meant that I would have to utilize my squad to its max potential if I am to try and gain promotion. The first game league game of the month was away to Morecambe where we lost but we picked ourselves up in the next few games going on an unbeaten 9 games streak that lasted a month, I wouldv'e loved to have turned the draws into wins but we are still improving and moving up the league table. Towards the end of February we lost 2 games and won 1 despite dominating in these games but I blame this down to fatigue mostly due to a hectic couple of weeks. Unfortunately James Faye picked up an injury which kept him out for a month but Rogers continued to bang in the goals with an additional 5 goals. We are nearing the end of the season and looking good for a play-off spot so far so I am aiming to stay in the play-offs and try and sneak an automatic spot.

StainesTownFixtures_Fixtures-4.png

League Table

npowerLeague2Overview_Stages-3.png

Cup

We played West Brom in the cup which was broadcast on TV which brought in a lot of revenue but we are still struggling on the finance front. We thought a very hard though battle against the Premier League outfit and gave them a great match which suprised many people. We thought bravely and I had no worries on how well the team played as we only los 1-0 only going down to a penalty early on.

StainesvWestBromInformation_Overview.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I have started working through the Pre-Season, my first update will come when we get to August 1st (Just before the season starts).

I have made some signings to strengthen our weaker areas (Particularly out wide), currently a couple of players are on non-contracts as they won't sign for back-up wages, and our wage budget got reduced so I ended up not extending contracts of a lot of players. I have got 3-4 loanees in already on cheap 0-100 pound wages to fill some gaps, but the promotion wage rise clauses hurt a little bit as well. I was most pleased with our 2:2 draw against Pompey, especially as we had a 2 goal lead before I started to bring on the reserves. My major aim is going to be avoiding relegation, but I feel the squad is more than capable of going even higher (And only 9 players are over 21).

March and April 2016 Update

League

So, the 2 most important months on the season stood between us and a play-off spot. We knew that a run of results would see us take a play-off spot and even push for the elusive automatic promotion spot. March was an extremely busy month playing a total of 7 league games. We started the month with a victory before a defeat to 2nd place Luton town but we got some points back against 6th placed Plymouth. We then achieved back to back to back victories which put us on course for the play-offs with Tamworth ending the month. We really needed to beat a poor Tamworth side but we conceded late on and we then lost to Barnet days later. But 3 fantastic victories meant that we was very close to the Automatic spot with 2 games left. Wycombe was next and at one stage we was in 3rd place bu conceding late on left us with a draw and meant we needed to win our last game, coincedently against 3rd place side Preston meaning the winning team gained Automatic Promotion, but we was away at Deepdale.

StainesTownFixtures_Fixtures-5.png

League Table with 1 game to go!

npowerLeague2Overview_Stages-4.png

Well I have started working through the Pre-Season, my first update will come when we get to August 1st (Just before the season starts).

I have made some signings to strengthen our weaker areas (Particularly out wide), currently a couple of players are on non-contracts as they won't sign for back-up wages, and our wage budget got reduced so I ended up not extending contracts of a lot of players. I have got 3-4 loanees in already on cheap 0-100 pound wages to fill some gaps, but the promotion wage rise clauses hurt a little bit as well. I was most pleased with our 2:2 draw against Pompey, especially as we had a 2 goal lead before I started to bring on the reserves. My major aim is going to be avoiding relegation, but I feel the squad is more than capable of going even higher (And only 9 players are over 21).

Ouch...they reduced our wage budget even though we were promoted?!?! I could barely live within means at League Two. Best of luck Lower Leagues Rule!

Ouch...they reduced our wage budget even though we were promoted?!?! I could barely live within means at League Two. Best of luck Lower Leagues Rule!

Yeah, I have ended up having to cut the squad numbers, we are down to 26 total players, hoping that I have kept most of the good ones. I was unable to bring any of our former loanees back, two left their clubs and wanted wages too high for us, even though they wanted permanent moves, the others refused loan moves. I feel I have improved the squad and will try to get an update done tonight if I can.

Andrew Smylie's

Rest of the World

CBFC.jpg

Colwyn Bay FC

npower Football League One

August 1st 2016

2015/16 Round-Up

2015/16 Best XI

All Time Best XI

Fans Player of the Year: Aaron James

Season Overview

2016/17 Expectations: Avoid Relegation

2016/17 Odds: 20-1 (Not outsiders)

Smylie's Contract Extension => 2019

New Stadium

Teams want to sign us: Burnley, Wolves, Doncaster

Transfers

Wage Budget: £10,103 p/w

Current Wages: £11,840 p/w

Transfer Budget: £0

Transfers: 6 In (£10k), 2 Loans In (£0), 16 Out (£0)

Transfers In

Andy Armstrong (AML) - He cost 10k, but he is going to be running the left wing.

Calum Jardine (DR) - A slight improvement at Right back, Jardine looks like a good Prospect

Ciaran McHugh (AMR) - The right wing of choice heading into the season.

Dennis Niemeyer (GK) - This was the Keeper signed by Cerud, very good signing, looking forward to seeing him in action.

Glen Campbell (MC) - The centre of the park was a little weak, so I made a pair of new signings here as well.

Steve Bodger (MC) - The second centre mid to join the club.

Loans In

Chris Foot (DC) - Cover for the pairing at the back.

Ed Thomson (ST) - Another option upfront unless we lose one of our strikers.

Kris Jones (AMRL/ST) - He can provide wide ranging cover.

Friendlies

Fixtures.png

We defeated Shrewsbury & Stevenage, while having late goals from the opposition mean we drew with Pompey & Wycombe, both those games we had 2 goal leads before dropping to draws late. Hoping to stop the goals into the season as conceding 9 goals in 4 games is unacceptable.

The Future

Going forward I am looking to get into the league, the top aim has to be avoiding relegation, I am also going to try and get some more loanees in to be able to help cover the depth we need. Mainly because we are unable to sign more players given the tight financial constraints we are working under.

My Planned Starting XI

GK: Niemeyer

DR: Jardine

DC: Andy Cronin

DC: Jason Ryan

DL: Edward Farrell

MC: Glen Campbell

MC: Steve Bodger/James Carew

AMR: Ciaran McHugh

AML: Andy Armstrong

ST: Aaron James

ST: Daniel West

So, the day and game we have all been waiting for. The odds were against us playing a very strong Preston side at Deepdale. The game started and we was on the front foot from the off and we got off to the best possible through Ian Rogers in the 6h minute to give us an important lead. If we could hold on for the rest of the game we was going up. The possession was in our favour all game and towards the end of the match we started frustrating Preston meaning they picked up invaluable yellow cards. The game drew nearer the end and more nerves overcame us but we held on for a massive victory thanks to Ian and we have gained promotion to League One.

npowerLeague2Overview_Stages-2.png

2015-2016 Staines Season Review

3rd - Promoted via Automatic Promotion

League

Standings I Past Positions - So after a long and very tough season we have finally achieved promotion from League Two into League one. Looking at the past positions for most of the season we was lingering around mid-table and never really threatened the automatic spots but as the season drew to the end we got a lo stronger with key performances from Ian Rogers and Jeff Allen and come the final day it was a nail biting game against PNE for promotion in which we won. We had a very small room for manoveure in terms of finances so whoever takes over now will have a bi of problem. I only had room to sign one player - Shane Dixon - who was a fantastic signing. SAY WE ARE GOING UP! SAY WE ARE GOING UP!

Cup

FA Cup - A mini cup run that was ended by Premier League side West Brom but we gave them a good game losing 1-0 but we got a bit of cash from TV revenue.

JPT - Didn't play too badly knocking out League One side Coventry in first round but came unstuck against Charlton in the 2nd Round.

League Cup - Lost in the first round again to a higher division team 3-1 to Swindon.

Statistics

Goals Scored - 75 (5th In the League)

Goals Conceded - 52 (5th Least In the League)

Average Attendance - 3377 (18th lowest in league)

Highest Goalscorer - 19 Ian Rogers

Highest Match Rating - 7.17 Steven Nicholl

Most Assists - 16 Shane Dixon

Most Man of the Matches - 4 Jeff Allen

Players to Keep!!

Jeff Allen - CB, DM, SW - Fantastic young talent at the back, chipped in with vital goals. Is being tracked by a number of championship clubs.

Ian Rogers - Striker, AML - Obviously a name that stands out, another fantastic season at the club. Can he cut it at League One is the question. Scored 19 this year.

Steven Nicholl - RB - Fantastic this year, great performances from the back and needs to be kept.

Shaun Evans - Striker, AMC - Caught my eye late on in the season with some fantastic assists, will play a big role in League One.

Shane Dixon - Striker, AMR - Bought at the start of the year and was a key performer, scoring 14 with 16 assists which was a fantastic signing.

Finances

StainesBoardroom_Finances-1.png

Going down and down due to the fact that all players are now on full-time contracts. Hopefully gain some revenue in league one. Would be much worse but the board invested money continually throughout the season.

Final Thoughts

Been a huge season for the club gaining promotion. Been very dodgy finances wise but not alot I could have done about that Im afraid. Jeff Allen is thought after by a number of championship clubs so this is a decision the next person has to consider looking at our finances but we got promoted and kept up with the ROW which is the main thing. Good luck to whoever is next.

The save is here - England Staines Save

AND AS SAID BEFORE, SORRY FOR LACK OF UPDATES! WAS VERY BUSY LAST WEEK! :D

We have a slight problem guys. Whoever is next on the list, will have to try and persuade Allen and Rogers to sign new deals as they expire in a month. That's why Allen's probably being tracked. Nicholl :cool: and Dixon expire in a season and Evans in 2 years. Good luck AK, as you may well need it as you could lose the spine of the side :(.

Hey Lower Leagues Rule! Surprised you kept Farrell. I ende up benching him for the final third of a season. Just could handle his attitude. Hope he begins to act like an adult for you ;)

I did try to get a left back replacement, but none that I found were quite good enough. I m hoping he can do the job.

Well done iHeadHunta! Great job! :)

I don't mind going next; progress will be slowish until the weekend though, as I'm currently working more than usual. That said, I should get the season easily done within the 7-10 days.

I'll load up the file and have a look! Got to keep us in League One! :D

Great job Headhunta! I really hope we can keep hold of Allen and Rodgers. NF - sounds like you've downloaded the save, if you have could you stick up a screenshot of the squad? I want to see who is still there from when I was in charge!

Yeah, SnakeXe, I just checked the screenies of the players he said to keep. Not downloaded the save and don't plan too until it's my turn.

I've made a start tonight... tying-up the contracts of Allen and Rogers for another two seasons :)

I've had to pay Rogers £2.3k per week to make him to stay, which I do say is a lot more than I think he's worth. However, based on the feedback of the previous managers, it would be a mistake to let him leave on a free considering his goalscoring record. That said, it's unlikely he'll be a guaranteed starter, as I'll be playing a 4-5-1, and he doesn't have the stats to play the lone striker role- more likely, if he does start, he'll play as an inside forward on the left wing.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong though!

5100198_zps4c40e85c.png

Staines Town Football Club- Tying up a few loose ends

Before we get on with the new season, I thought there's a bit of end of season stuff that would interest the England support, especially iHeadHunta x, who was in charge for this period.

Team of the Year 2015/16

Overall Best XI

Fans Player of the Year: Shane Dixon

As mentioned previously, I've extended the contracts of Ian Rogers and Jeff Allen, as well as agreeing new terms for the manager too. Danny Roberts will now be earning a whopping £1300 per week for the next two years!

The board's been busy too, agreeing some new sponsorship deals which will be worth an extra £60k per season.

Danny Roberts (News_ Inbox)-3_zps72387477.jpg

I've pretty much finished pre-season, so will get that up some point tomorrow; we've got some exciting new signings!!! :)

Andrew Smylie's

Rest of the World

CBFC.jpg

Colwyn Bay FC

September 1st 2016

Seasontickets_zpsa1377723.png

2593 season tickets sold is a huge climb from last season, awesome and it will lead to a good fan support throughout the season.

Transfers

None this Month

The Cups

Carling Cup 1st Round

09.08.16 at Barnsley 0:1

Well a disappointing loss, but given the huge number of games we have coming up it might actually be good to not have to worry about the Carling cup. It was a good tight fight, but we gave up a goal in the late stages to lose.

Johnstone's Trophy (N) 1st Round

30.08.16 at Stockport 1:1 (4:3p)

Adam (50)

I actually thought we were the dominant team in this game and probably should've won it in the ninety minutes, but in the end a great pair of saves from our keeper and Farrell stepping up for our fifth penalty and slotting it home for us to advance on penalties. This game though was just another that shows we are missing West upfront.

The League

06.08.16 at Crystal Palace 1:1

West (59)

The opposition were comfortable favourites in this match, and they showed it early on as they dominated for the first half hour, but from then and into half time we had the edge and even had a chance for a goal. After halftime it was a massive tussle, and in the 57th minute when they scored it meant our boys needed to kick on. They did and just 2 minutes later West got put through for a good goal, and the tussle continued. Neither team could break the deadlock and it ended 1:1.

13.08.16 vs Barnsley 1:0

West (16)

We were good early on as we tried to avenge our Cup loss from 4 days earlier. And following a free-kick, it was headed on past the line of defenders and our quick captain West charged through, played the ball off his left and then shot with his right to open the books. West had two goals in two league games at this point, but the boys let Barnsley get back into it as they chased all the way. They had a lot more opportunities, but solid work at the back kept our sheet clean. Late in the match West picked up a knock, and will miss 4-5 weeks, this loss is huge.

16.08.16 at Ispwich 2:3

Adam (21), Jones (89)

Well this game went a little bit crazy, in the 4th minute it looked like it was going to be a long night as they scored and took and early lead. All game long we were dominated, but in the 21st minute Adam stepped up in West's absence and equalised, for a while it looked like we might manage to hold on, but they scored in the 29th minute. From here we were battling all game long and never really in it, but then an incredible late strike from Jones made me think we could escape with a point, but it wasn't to be as Harry Hutton scored in the fourth minute of injury time to knock us off.

20.08.16 vs Watford 1:2

James (43)

This was the worst imaginable start, as Matt Collins scored in the 1st and 6th minutes and put us down two nil early. Just before halftime we saw James get his first goal of the season, and the thought was that there is a chance, but the second half was not good enough. We did dominate the game, but we just weren't able to convert the chances we had, as such we let this game get away from us. Really missing the explosiveness of West upfront.

27.08.16 at Nott Forest 2:4

Adam (15), James (pen34)

In this game Notts were on top of us from the very beginning, and I never thought we'd get a goal, but some good work from Armstrong with a pinpoint cross to Adam's boot saw us grab a 1 goal lead. Then we had a player pulled down in the box and up stepped James to convert the penalty. Somehow even though we were the underdogs, and we weren't playing well we had a 2 goal lead. something happened and we went and blew it. Notts managed to score 3 goals in three minutes and that was us down by half time, I was disappointed and I told the boys that, they went out and did alright for a short while, but when we went down by another in the 80th minute it was over. In Injury time Adam was clear and past the last defender and on his way to the goal with James through the line as well he was pulled down, the defender got a straight red and the final whistle went. Just a ridiculous end to the game.

The Table

League_zps4a54c243.png

The Future

RecordAtt_zps6efcf619.png

Come on fans lets fill that stadium next time, was delighted to see us get 7,000, but I am very much sure we can get 9,000+

Surprised to see Hale, Nicoll and Webster still in the first team for England! Faye must be getting on a bit as well. Do you think you'll be upgrading on any of them, AK?

I'm not surprised about Hale at all. He's easily good enough for L1.

Nice jobs so far Lower Leagues Rule. Too bad we can't defend out JPT but that would have always been tough to do. Great that we got that new stadium! Nice to see attendances higher with a bit of room to grow :thup:

Surprised to see Hale, Nicoll and Webster still in the first team for England! Faye must be getting on a bit as well. Do you think you'll be upgrading on any of them, AK?
I'm not surprised about Hale at all. He's easily good enough for L1.

I rate Hales extremely highly, so he'll still be first choice; he's more than capable to play League One football, in my opinion. Nicoll won't be a regular starter, though, but is decent enough to be back-up and keep the bench warm.

Unfortunately, we've had to say bye-bye to Webster; his contract was due to expire, and I saw no reason to even consider offering new terms. Hopefully my two newly recruited left-backs don't let me down! :D

5100198_zps4c40e85c.png

Staines Town Football Club - Pre Season 2016/17

Board Expectations

npower League 1: Stay clear of relegation

FA Cup: Reach the 3rd Round

Carling Cup: Learn from the experience

Johnstone's Paint Trophy: Reach the Second Round

Media Prediction: 24th

Title Odds: 33-1

Transfer Budget: £0

Wage Budget: £29k per week

Transfer Activity

StainesTransfers_History_zpsffb90b1e.jpg

Lots of activity on the transfer front, with nine new players joining the team, and 41 leaving. Most of the players leaving were in the reserves or youth set-up, and completed unwanted/unneeded. All-in-all, this leaves a first team squad of 20 decent players, although I would like to add another couple of faces before the window closes, as we are a tad light in central midfield. I've still got just over £2k of the wage budget remaining, so there's money there to do so.

Key Signings

Kevin Jackson - Rated very highly by the scouts, I expect him to start on the left-wing as an inside forward.

Keith Downes - Should be a very handy right-back.

Robbie Grainger - Will provide good cover at full-back and central defence.

Steve Jones - Should be first choice at left-back.

Tim Farrell - A creative central midfielder.

Joe Byrne - Another Irish signing, and will be a great centre-back.

Mick Brack - You can never have enough Irish! His pace will be very handy on the right wing, and should offer a goal threat too.

Squad Overview

Backroom Staff

Staff Transfer Summary

Having achieved promotion, we've been able to increase the amount of staff on our books. Most notably, there's a change in the Assistant Manager role, with Wade Scott replacing Matty Davis.

Tactics

Here's how we're going to (mostly) line-up this season:

StainesTownTactics_TeamInstructions_zps402a4133.jpg

Unless results are disastrous, I'll be sticking with this tried and tested tactic for most of the season. I would like to think that our front three will do plenty of damage, whilst remaining solid defensively.

Pre-Season Friendlies

Staines Town (Fixtures_ Fixtures)_zps9c88bbbd.jpg

Bit of a mixed bag here, but nothing to majorly worry about either.

Nice jobs so far Lower Leagues Rule. Too bad we can't defend out JPT but that would have always been tough to do. Great that we got that new stadium! Nice to see attendances higher with a bit of room to grow :thup:

Thanks cerud, we are still in the JPT, we won 4:3 on pens, my post may have been a bit unclear, hoping to keep that cup run going, out of the Carling Cup at first stage.

5100198_zps4c40e85c.png

Staines Town Football Club - August & September 2016/17

StainesTownFixtures_Fixtures-2_zps73a622c4.jpg

npowerFootballLeagueOneOverview_Stages_zpsfc61c239.jpg

I'd say we've made a decent enough start so far! Shane Dixon has undoubtedly been the star of the show, bagging seven goals in our opening fixtures, and firing us to the top of the league. In fact, there's plenty of goals from all over this team (I do have match preparation set to attacking movement, though), and look very capable of holding our own in this division. Whether we can keep the good start up, I'm not too sure, but I'm delighted that we shouldn't have to worry ourselves about a relegation battle.

The only downside, so far, is that Kevin Jackson has torn his calf muscle and will miss 4-5 months of the season. I'd earmarked him as a first team regular, so I'm natural disappointed to see him miss so much football, which will probably also stunt his development as a footballer too. There is a silver lining though, as this means fans favourite, Ian Rogers is back in the first team!

Andrew Smylie's

Rest of the World

CBFC.jpg

Colwyn Bay FC

October 1st 2016

Transfers

None this Month

The Cups

No Cup Games this Month

The League

10.09.16 at Reading 3:3

McHugh (2), Armstrong (17), James (62)

We were completely dominated all game long in this one, but we managed to get an early two goal lead with our wings combining for a pair, and then as the opposition pushed forward we had another chance, disappointingly it went over the top. They then managed to get two back before half time for a 2:2 score at the break, after the break they took the lead and I figured it was game over, but James stepped up and managed to get a goal in the net for a 3 all draw.

13.09.16 vs Southend 1:1

West (35)

We went behind early as N'Simba opened the scoring after 7 minutes, we had control of the match for the half hour after that and the end result was a goal to West as we put it back even. The second half was a bit of a tussle and no-one could break it either.

17.09.16 at Darlington 2:2

West (36,76)

McHugh went off early in this game with a terrible red card, their guy slid in on McHugh who had the ball, that should've been a free kick and then McHugh turned and slid back into the opposition and got sent from the field. After that we went down two nil and I really thought the game was over, down by two and a man short was always going to be tough. But West stepped up and got a good first goal, and then we just battled for the rest of the game. We weren't the best throughout and in the 54th minute we lost James, he will be gone for 3 months, so I really need to find a replacement striker now. West did get a second for us to make it up to the third straight draw.

20.09.16 vs MK Dons 3:2

West (59,90+3), Jones (89)

And for the second game in a row we went down by two goals, unbelievable, going into the sheds at half time in this state was disappointing, and even more so given the missed penalty early in this match. The second half had an incredible turn around as West scored in the 59th minute and when Jones finally scored in the 89th minute I thought we had just gone 4 draws in a row, but West got free deep into injury time and lobbed the keeper for a beautiful 3:2 victory.

24.09.16 vs Morecombe 2:1

Thomson (16), West (25)

The opposition dominated us again, but this time we took our early opportunities as West and Thomson both got the ball over the line inside the first half hour. The game had started with an own goal against us by Cronin, but he was very pleased to see the strike pairing save him. The second half saw them come over the top of us, but we didn't let them close enough to score and took our second win in a row.

28.09.16 vs Oldham 1:4

West (10)

This game was very close, and the scoreline shows Oldham as better than they actually were. The whole game was back and forward and West scored first and Oldham equalised. The game was really decided in the second half from the 70th minute when Misambo somehow constructed himself an amazing hattrick and beat us into submission as we conceded 3 goals in the last 20 minutes.

The Table

League_zpsd4ebbfc6.png

The Future

YoungPlayerofMonth_zps11815953.png

A huge Month for Daniel West as he scores 7 goals in 5 appearances, somehow he only appears as third in the young player of the month awards. Looking forward we have seven games in October as we face Leyton Orient (A), Macclesfield (JPT), Swindon (H), Wycombe (A), Bradford (H), Notts Co (A) & Scunthorpe (A). Going to be a crazy month and hopefully we can stay above the relegation territory.

Archived