Jamaican Me Crazy!

iseemonsters1

My Aims:

I haven't done a single club game for quite a while, as I generally tend towards journeyman careers - but some of my most fun FM times over the past few versions have been managing Vasco SC in the Indian league. The enjoyment of starting off desperately trying to find players who aren't complete disasters, and eventually taking them to Asian Champions League glory with pretty much the entire first eleven made up of Indian national team regulars that I'd brought in or nurtured from my youth team was pretty unforgettable.

For this game, I'm hoping to eventually take it one step further. I'll be starting in a country I've never managed in before (and I'm sure I'm not the only one!) and aiming to rise from the bottom of the third tier to domestic domination. Then it's time to try to crack the tough nut that will be the CONCACAF Champions League. If I make it through that, I'll be turning my attentions to the World Club Cup. And if by some miracle I make it that far, then I'll hope to keep winning, stretching the dynamic league reputation to such a point that I can bring in and keep world class players at the peak of their careers. It's a very long shot I know, and I'm not sure the dynamic league reputation is even capable of making that happen - but it should be fun to find out.

I went with Jamaica mainly for the pun in the title. I've actually been thinking about playing a game in Jamaica for quite a while - not sure why as I know next to nothing about football in that country - but I even went so far as to try to create the league in the editor myself back on FM11. Thankfully, I've been saved the problem of having to do that by finding this league pack - I can't vouch for the complete accuracy of the data, but it seems to have the right clubs and the right leagues operating in more or less the right way, and none of the leagues or clubs have absurdly high reputations or anything. That's all I'm really looking for, as I'm not too concerned with anything more than that since I wouldn't have any clue if it was right or wrong anyway!

Game setup:

I really want to zip through this as much as possible, so I'm only running the Jamaican leagues down to the 3rd (and lowest available) tier. I have added players with continental reputations from all continents and players with top clubs from North America, to try to preserve the challenge down the road while not increasing the database to a size where my computer can't cope with it!

Brown's Town F.C. - KSAFA Major League (Jamaica)

The internet has pretty much failed me in terms of finding any background information about this club - the best I can do is to verify that it does in fact exist, and it does play in the KSAFA Major League at the third tier of Jamaican football. In this league pack, there's no relegation or promotion from the 3rd tier, so I went with the team that came bottom after holidaying a season. Brown's Town was the team I was hoping wouldn't finish last, since that means dealing with the awful color scheme - but I've already grown a little attached to the club during pre-season and now see it as part of its charm.

Club Profile: No club badge, obviously (nor have I been able to find one on the internet - I may have to make one at some point!) and not much other information available, as you'd expect. The 3,000 capacity stadium is not a bad start though, and depending on attendances may help to keep the finances at least a little under control.

Squad: A look at some of the players in the first eleven last season, when Brown's Town finished bottom of the league - is enough to convince me that this is the lowest level I've ever managed at. On the plus side, I'm not convinced that we're way behind the other teams in the division - in fact they all seem equally as bad as each other - so I think if I can find any kind of quality at all I've got a shot to get out of the division fairly quickly.

Finances: Actually pretty decent, the club is in the black and made a profit last season. I have some wiggle room in the wage budget even, though identifying players worth using it on and convincing them to join us is another matter.

Facilities: That 3,000 capacity stadium is pretty decent, but other than that our facilities seem to be pretty much non-existent.

So here we go - time to find some decent players and take a crack at the KSAFA Major League!

Best of luck in Jamaica! How many teams are in the division?

Thanks! 12 teams in this division - everybody plays 3 times, then the top 6 all play each other one more time in a promotion playoff mini-league (with the top two on results from that mini-league getting promoted, whether they came 1st or 6th in the regular league table).

Brown's Town :D

What a name of a club, good luck. Didn't even know you could play such leagues with FM. I am so out of the loop.

Thanks! Takes the hard work of other people to make those leagues playable, but I love to explore uncharted FM territory!

Brown's Town - KSAFA Major League - 2012/13

Season Aims: Get a feel for the league, get a feel for the squad, try to find some halfway decent players!

League Table: 1st

Promotion Playoff: 1st

League Positions Graph

Once we hit our stride about a third of the way through the season, we were always going to be favourites for promotion, opening up a 12 point lead at one point. But a dip in form as the season ended meant that it came down to the penultimate game of the regular season for us to claim 1st place in the table. And all of that would be for nothing if we couldn't finish in the top two positions in the Promotion Playoff mini-league. We were still struggling for form but ground out results against the other top sides in the division to secure promotion to Jamaica's second tier.

JFF Champions Cup: Disappointingly knocked out in the Qualifying Round, but this competition was not a priority for me or the board.

Club Overview

Squad - I'm pleased by the improvements made to the squad over the season, but there's no denying a lot of these players are still pretty awful!

Transfers - Obviously a lot of dead wood trimmed from the squad and some more promising players brought in. That £100 signing was not only a club record, but also made us the biggest spenders in the division!

Finances - The club seems to be on a relatively even keel financially, with a healthy £36k profit this season. Average attendance at 86% of our 3,000 capacity stadium certainly didn't hurt.

Key Players

Jermaine Taylor - The left sided midfielder was joint second highest scorer with 12 goals, along with an excellent 19 assists.

Alrick Lawrence - And on the right side of midfield, Lawrence also grabbed 12 goals and another 12 assists.

Gregory Tucker - The man netting all those chances, striker Tucker scored 16 this season.

Career Overview

Season    League                   Position    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13   KSAFA Major League       1st         League Champions, Promoted

Aims for Next Season: Obviously survival is priority number one, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that the gulf between tier three and tier two of Jamaican football isn't vast. With a few good signings, you never know where we might end up. The problem is that this next division will be hard to get out of - there are four parallel "Super Leagues", each with 12 teams, and at the end of the season, the first placed team from each of the leagues enters a promotion playoff, from which two teams are promoted. That means there are 2 promotion spots available for 48 teams. Fortunately, there are only 2 relegation spots too.

I'm glad I'm not the only one enjoying the punny potential of this career! :D

Sadly, I'm going to have to do a bit of a reboot of the thread. Although I could swear up and down that when I was looking at the league rules, it said the top team qualified for the CONCACAF Champions League, apparently they don't. IRL, Jamaican teams would qualify via the CFU Club Championship, which is a competition for Caribbean clubs, from which the top three qualify for the Champions League. But the CFU Club Championship isn't in the game, and it seems like FM arbitrarily chooses three clubs from random Caribbean nations to participate. We can't have that!

But all is not lost! I found two great looking mods which not only give me a fuller, more detailed Jamaican league but also modifies the CONCACAF Champions League to add a couple of qualifying rounds for Caribbean teams to emulate the CFU Club Championship. Credit goes to TobiasOwen from The Dugout for creating the mods!

I'm not sure I have the patience to holiday through another season, so I'm just going to pick a club from the bottom tier and get started!

Superstar F.C. - Hanover Major League (Jamaica)

The great thing about the new mod is the wealth of great teams to choose from in the bottom tier - 142 in total! And all with such great names too - from Kool Kat FC to Uptown Wailers, Original Hazard to Starliner FC, there was no shortage of fun teams to choose from. Eventually I settled on the currently ironically named Superstar FC - with the aim of course to eventually fill the squad with superstars!

Club Profile: Again, there's not much to be found on the internet about this club, let alone a club badge - but at least the color scheme is a little more pleasing to the eye!

Squad: Just as with Brown's Town, quality is very thin on the ground - but that's how it is throughout the division.

Finances: The club is in the black, which is a good thing, and allows me a decent wage budget to play with.

Facilities: Once again, there's a 3,000 capacity stadium, but not a lot else!

Hopefully you won't bump into any other niggles. Good luck with Superstar! I would have spent far too long trying to find the best team name :lol:.

I did spend about half an hour trying to decide! Some other favourites:

Tomorrow's People

Delta Force

Extra Flex

Hard Hitters

Upsetters

Treasure Beach

Young Brazil

Invaders United

Rising Stars

Gimme-Me-Bit

Famous FC