FM13: Portsmouth FC - Still No Money, Still No Players!

Ty

Hahaha Thanks man!

I do not like him either, but I have no other choice! Hahaha. And my payroll budget were increased to 58k/wk. He has been OK so far.

So far, 6 games played - 1w 3d 2l. I think I will be sacked before e end of e season!! I do not have the sqd depth!

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iam about halfway through the first season and things are looking good on the pitch.

In other news iam two weeks into a transfer embargo because there are talks about a take over by a fan trust.

I was able to agree with two players on a contract before that take over thing took place.

Christopher Forrester on a Free after his contract ran out with St.Patricks Athletic.

Also Jose Baxter will join us from Oldham Athletic on a Free.

Scorers:

Mpenza, often injured but still 27 Apps, 12 Goals, 6 Assists

Mentizis, which is quite a suprise to me with 14 Apps, 11 Goals! and 1 Assist

Howard, with 27 Apps, 9 Goals, 14 Assists

I must agree that Centrebacks got mostly the highest ratings. I saw that too in my FM 2012 game with The Dons.

Ratings wise top 5:

Ertl, iam going to sell him because of injuries. 11 games and 7.41 rating, hes too old for my type of playing, i mostly rely on youngsters.

Howard, 7.36 (mostly Attacking Mid in a Support role) in 27 games

Webster, he got 5 man of the match awards until now only topped by howard with 6. 31 games, 2 goals, 2 assists and 7.33 rating (Central Defender role)

Mentizis, mentioned before complete surprise to me. 14 games 7.31 rating (he got subbed in 11 times by the way, poacher role)

Addo, he recently asked me to become a manager, hes suprisingly good with the staff attributes so ill sign him to youth manager in the summer. 23 games, 7.11 rating

So thats for me now. Iam a slow player if i look at your progresses. But iam hopeful. I think we will promote this season so i hope the board will give me enough founds for it.

When is the transfer embargo usually lifted? I started a new game with Pompey and noticed that you can't sign (loan) players right at the start of the game.

Usually a couple weeks in. Not long :thup:

What a way to go up Wisla :cool: In style against Southampton!

Hopefully the chairmen will give you some money to help you stay in the Premiership!

This is where the local businessman stops being a tight arse, doubled the wage budget and given me £15m to spend :cool:

Mainly gonna sign freebies anyway, would much rather signed 7-8 players on £10k/week wages and pay no transfer fees and have some spending money left for January if needed, last two seasons I've not been able to do anything to the squad after mid-July due to spending all my wage allowance! Admittedly we got a solid mid-table then play-off promotion in those seasons so not like I did badly...got a few signings in (GK x2, LB, CB, DM, CM, ST) with a few more to come. Eep, reading that back I should probably count up their wages, I'm probably overspending already :p

muhaimin - I ended up with a similar wage budget in the end too in my first Champ season (£57k/week I think), just about managed to get a 20 man squad with it!

Any big names or shock signings? :cool: I am intrigued.

£15m is a nice hefty figure, not that far behind me in the 19/20 season, I got £72m :p Haven't spent any of it though as I have no need!

Any big names or shock signings? :cool: I am intrigued.

£15m is a nice hefty figure, not that far behind me in the 19/20 season, I got £72m :p Haven't spent any of it though as I have no need!

Not yet as I've been pretty tight and only signed on person on more than £11.25k/week :D I'll run through what I can remember quickly.

Fabio Daprela (Swiss LB, Brescia, free) and Akos Keckses (Hungarian CB, Atlanta, free) both were agreed in Jan, Daprela is rated similar to how Webster is now so quite happy that he's likely to play a lot of Prem football :cool:

Since the budgets went up, agreed bosman signings for Alex Smithies, Jason Steele, Benjamin André (the French CM revolution continues!), Alexy Bosseti (French ST from Nice) and Alexander Gerndt (Swedish ST from Utrecht), clearly I wanted players with the same/similar first name as me by and large! Snapped up a pretty great looking Welsh regen DM from Cardiff (2.5* CA, 4.5* PA, nice stats) who I'll get Persoons tutoring for just £300k.

Taking those into account I still have £11m to spend and about £50k-60k spare wages...so can easily splash out. Think Nathan Redmond will be the big money signing, Brum just gone down to League One so I'll wait a little while until they want less than £4.7m for him and pick up a bargain! Probably need another CB as well, an English CM as well since I expect to let Howard go this summer. I'm definitely all sorted at LB, DM and ST (15-year-old Toby Shearing will be a first team player next year, will put up his screenshot later but I'm hoping with immediate games he could become great very very quickly!), probably AM as well. So not loads of positions to improve which is useful!

First Gauthier Mahoto came back to Pompey to help us to promotion, now in comes Florent Cuvelier to help us stay up :cool: next stop Danijel Subotic.

Realised that if you bring in a load of players, that's going to alter your star ratings, and you'll realise some players you thought would be fine to cope in the Premier League probably won't be able to. Signed Ryan Shotton to play CB/act as RB cover, may get a DM but tempted to just chance Delve (the Welsh regen DM) with the starting berth, under Persoons tutelage (excellent mental stats) he should become very good pretty quick. At present I imagine us lining up something like this, dropping the 4-1-2-1-2 for a 4-1-3-2 unless I can find an acceptable AM (may sell Harris so I don't bloat the squad):

Steele

Shotton    Wootton    Webster    Daprela

Delve

Cuvelier Mahoto André

Freeman    Gerndt

Not a clue how we're going to fare. We had a few targets from lower league clubs but they all demanded monstrous (well, in my eyes) fees, £9.25m for Lascelles and £8.5m for Sean Murray too much for me (but not for Reading). The fact Reading are spending so much so easily from a few years in the Prem highlights how fine we'll be once we stay up a year or two. I'm hoping this squad is good enough to do just that, I may need a RB (so Shotton can move to CB), DM and AM but I've got £6m left in the bank and £35k of wages, there's room. Still trying to get Redmond, bit annoyed a League One club wants more than £6m for him.

When I joined on January 1st they were 12th and I lost my first game 5-1 with about 8 senior players. After I brought players in we went on a great run of wins, bar 2 late Walsall goals, ending up in the Playoff Final against Hartlepool where I was without Will Hughes because I didn't realise he was away with England U19s but my 45K signing McGinn scored the winner in first half stoppage time.

Transfers

Squad

League Table

Results

2nd season with Pompey, 1st season in Championship and now its already Jan.

Here are the updates:

Squad: http://imageshack.us/f/843/ssquad.png/

Standing: http://imageshack.us/f/21/sstanding.png/

Transfers: http://imageshack.us/f/248/stransfersx.png/

Overall i am happy with how things are going. If it continues this way, I have no doubt we can finish the season in mid table.

Right with my Granada and Monaco saves at the beginning of the 3rd season I thought I'd try my hand at Portsmouth again ;)

Wonder if you downloaded that tycoon save :p

Just two more signings made for now - Nahuel Jorge, an excellent Argentinian RB regen from Boca, 3.5* already with leading Prem potential (5*). The other is another former player, Arnold Mvuemba returns on loan for the season! Wanted some experienced depth at CM and Arnie happened to be transfer listed by Lyon. He never really took his chances in his previous stint here but I'm hoping he can impress when called upon.

It's deadline day and I may still move for Nathan Redmond or Wilfred Zaha...but not until their teams drop the £6m valuations.

Seems Anderson is willing to join on a free for just £11k/week...not sure if he'd be worth it though, I have enough CMs as it is!

I personally don't feel you need to make any, pretty sure the only free signing I made was to bring in a better back-up keeper than Eastwood. Loans really should be your best way of signing talent until you can get promoted, at which point the budget will be a little bigger and decent players will be interested, no need imo to waste any spare wages first season on the left over free transfer scraps.

Get in a decent GK, LB, wingers if you play with a wide system or DM if you play narrow, and ST and you'll be fine.

Reading through this thread and was interested to start a Pompoey save so did just that. couple of weeks in and got taken over by a consortium who have made 475k available. not increaed the wage budget though so i can only offer 90 quid p/w to anybody so still screwed. For some reason i cant approach the board to ask for mor wages. hoping it is because they have just taken over.

Drawn 7 of my first 10 games in the Premier League :D like the League One season all over again, score goals but concede the same amount!

Despite adding around £100k/week to my wage budget this season, we're merrily making £3m profits each month, so will be in a lovely financial position at the end of the season, hopefully we'll pay off the CVA and the local businessman's bank loan in one go and become debt free. Will be looking to improve facilities and the stadium with it - I won't be repeating the mistakes irl!

Also Arnie has gone back, tore a groin muscle. Think I will go into the market for an AMC as it was only after switching back to 4-1-2-1-2 that we've won 2 Prem games, tempted still by Redmond whose asking price is beginning to drop (lost out on Zaha to Championship Fulham...).

Season is going swimmingly thus far; reached the half-way point and we sit an impressive 11th with 26 points, the aim was to avoid relegation and we're well on track to do that!

2012-12-09_00002.jpg

The main reason has been our ability to avoid defeat - just 3 in 19 games and only one away from home! We've been great against the big teams, only City beating us with draws against the rest and a very important 2-1 win over Chelsea on Boxing Day! 11 draws meant we went on long unbeaten runs but that a poor result would suddenly see the "Pompey extend unbeaten run" to "poor Pompey fail to win again", thankfully we've ended well with three wins in our last four games (Sunderland away, Chelsea & Everton home) and sit comfortably in mid-table. The aim is 40 points and we're not far away from that. Going back to 4-1-2-1-2 was the correct decision, I think all our wins have come playing this system - with Ryan Gauld breaking his leg it has meant Ashley Harris has played the last six games in the AMC position, even scoring the winner at the Stadium of Light!

No one man has stood out, imo we've just been a great team unit. Alexander Gerndt is doing exactly what he's paid for, with 10 goals in 19 games and a few assists as well. No-one has more than 5 assists but we have at least 5 players with 4 or more, so we've certainly varied our attacking methods and that's been key in scoring 25 league goals in 19 games. Scott Wootton is again top rated but seems the game is a little too kind to their ratings this version, but I'm still delighted he's rated so well! Had a little CMs crisis at the end of November with Clifford, André and Gauld all ruled out for at least a month, delighted Cuvelier and Mahoto have done so well in the CM roles, Mahoto was MoM against Chelsea.

We've got to the 6-month contract expiry window so I'm off to shop for bargains; we're all tied up here so no worries about losing anyone. Task now is to keep up our form, survive relegation and then build on it next season, £10m in the bank now and things looking good for the future!

Started again, but this time bringing in different players mainly due to the embargo not being lifted till well into august meaning I missed out on getting in Anderson, Etheridge, Lichaj, Meyer as they all got snapped up before I could try for them. On the plus side the takeover went through in early August and I was given 475k to spend of which the majority went into increasing the wage budget and on the recommendation of one of the coaches I'm trying a 4-5-1 formation (very wide, largest pitch size, passes down both flanks).

As for the playing squad - Darel Russel was let go, and Jon Harley chose to leave but I've retained the rest for now and will hopefully get them on lower wages in October, additions to the squad are Redek Cerny (G) from QPR, Callum McManaman (AM(RL), ST) from Wigan and Frederic Piquionne (AM®, ST) from West Ham all on season loans with no wages, Christiano Zanetti (DM, MC) and Samajl Suljevic (DM, AM©, ST) on frees and I paid £100k for Nathan Luscombe (AM(L)) from Hartlepool. I'm currently 3.4k under the wage budget of £37k, but hope to get it even lower when the contract renewals start in Oct and I might release 1 or 2.

My 1st choice team is:

G Cerny

DR Dumbuya (FB)

DC Michalik (CD)

DC Gyepes (CD)

DL Webster (FB)

DM Zanetti (DM)

CM Howard (DLP)

CM Williamson (BBM)

AMR McManaman (W)

AML Luscombe (W)

ST Piquionne (P)

Early results have been mixed, out of both cups but 12th in the league at the end of Sept.

Any suggestions for changes welcome.

...and so ends another attempt with abject failure:( relegation and the sack:( I think it might be time for me to give up on Pompey and admit defeat as I just can't seem to find a tactic that works consistently - I might win 1 or 2, then lose and not win again for a dozen or so matches whatever I do. At one point we were playing well and on an unbeaten run of 7 games, then lost unluckily and that was it - no more wins even though nothing had changed.

...and so ends another attempt with abject failure:( relegation and the sack:( I think it might be time for me to give up on Pompey and admit defeat as I just can't seem to find a tactic that works consistently - I might win 1 or 2, then lose and not win again for a dozen or so matches whatever I do. At one point we were playing well and on an unbeaten run of 7 games, then lost unluckily and that was it - no more wins even though nothing had changed.

Piquionne as a poacher may be a little bit suspect. I've got him on loan, albeit he's backup, and I always play him as a DLF (a) alongside Sidibe or Agogo.

Try a 4-1-3-1-1 formation. Sidibe up front (DLF or TM (a) I use) with Eisfeld as an AP (a). Eisfeld will put the through balls in whilst Sidibe has scored 6 in 3 for me.

Just started with the tycoon save after parking my current one in which I got us promoted to championship in playoff final. Only got 8 players and it's near end of July in that one. Struggling

In the tycoon save I have been given £14.5m at the start of November. :-) I am currently 5 points outside playoffs, hopefully can attract in January

Just got FM, started a Pompey save. I signed Cristiano Zanetti on a free but he is costing me 2k in wages, Eric Lichaj on loan, Brian Murphy on loan. I need to bring in a striker. Was playing my 3rd friendly but then my PC got blue screen of death so I need to try and fix that, this PC is giving me quite a bit of trouble.

Now in 2nd season of tycoon save, I loaned Adam le fondre in first season and he scored nearly 30 goals, screenie for it later

I have signed a lot of youth talent this season and board want me to finish top. Signed Tony Hibbert and Phil Neville from leicester, zaha, wooton, anda load of foreign talent. Currently top with 1 loss in 18 lol. Get the feeling it will be instant sacking unless promotion bagged

After mucking about with a Liverpool save since FM13 came out I'm now ready to crack on with more of a challenge and that is why I'm here.

I'll probably end up copying most of your transfer ideas, at least for the first season. It'll be good to actually be able to do something that I always say in my first press conference: "I'm going to reshape the club from top to bottom". Provided I don't get the sack of course.

Well after a few games I can really appreciate the challenge now!

I've brought in Zanetti, Grosso & Sidibe on frees and Cerny, Lichaj, Piquionne & Delle Valle on season long loans. I released MacLeod & Thomson which leaves me a little over the wage budget, but I'm hoping I can get some renewals in October on cheaper wages.

I've been trying to implement a 532 formation, but injuries, team cohesion and just plain bad tactics a making me think I might need to try a 4 man defense and bolster the midfield. I've never been a fan of narrow formations and my inexperience shows as I'm finding it hard to create any width at all.

Pre-Season was a write off, but I scraped a 1-0 win over Yeovil in the League Cup. West Ham awaits in the next round. The league has featured two turgid draws, 0-0 and 1-1.

Much work to do!

Edit: I forgot to say, in mid-August there was an attempted takeover by a Tycoon led consortium. It fell through however. Boo.

Well Season 1 I was taken over and given about 50K to spend on players. Season 1 was a struggle and I had half a time of players on season long loans and just escaped relegation

Season 2 was more loans including Macheada from Man Utd and a few amazing free transfers. Clubs expectation was to achieve as a minimum a play-off place. I personally thought that unrealistically high. Anyway after a sticky start bedding in players I eventually ended up getting promotion in season 2, Barnsley as Champions and Bournemouth as play-off champions.

Season 3 - No real money invested and a n expectation of a mid table place...we will see

Nice, realistic save when Barnsley are champions ;)

My time to play FM is limited, so I've decided to be a naughty boy and start a new save using the Tycoon upload from another thread.

I've not really had a chance to play it yet, but the chairman has pumped about £38 million into the club. Transfers are not allowed in the first window so the same principles apply for early signings as prior to the takeover. I asked the board to increase the wages and they did, to er... £33k p/w. I guess the strategy is to try and stay as close to the leaders as possible until January.

Hi all.

I fancied a challenge so took over Pompey for my latest save. Didn't expect much but hoped to come out of admin fairly soon to add to my squad. After a week a 'consortium' made a bid. I waited two weeks and nothing happened before I saw the news item 'Tycoon Eyes Pompey Takeover'!

So I was taken over by Spanish businessman 'Alberto Garcia'. Oddly, despite putting 30m in the accounts, he's not changed my transfer or wage budget! Hee has however ploughed 11m into training and youth facilities.

So i'm still building on a budget! Mid-October and we sit 15th overall in L1.

Any ideas who to sign on a budget?

Most of the loan signings that others have been making should be perfectly acceptable - maybe not on season loans as you might be able to bring in better quality players in Jan. With free transfers I suppose it's a crapshoot to see who hasn't been grabbed by other clubs.

Most of the loan signings that others have been making should be perfectly acceptable - maybe not on season loans as you might be able to bring in better quality players in Jan. With free transfers I suppose it's a crapshoot to see who hasn't been grabbed by other clubs.

Unfortunately for me, we didn't leave admin until the 21st of August so most of the players had left!

The players I did manage to get in however:

Mark Yates - Loan - Watford

Emile Mpenza - Free

Robin Shroot - £0 - Stevenage

Peter Brezonvan - £0 - Brighton

Steven Gregory - £0 - Bournemouth

Ferrie Bodde - Free

Harry Bunn - Loan - Man City

Mark Stewart - £0 - Dundee

Eric Addo - Free

Herita Ilunga - Free

Those players saw me through until Jan. In November I was given an £8m budget boost. The January window shall be fun!

Still not really had a chance to play, but I have managed to make some loan signings: For the season, Andersen, Lappin, Sidibe & Mackie have arrived. Piquionne is here til January. I've also got Lee Naylor arriving on a free. By my reckoning I should still be able to bring in one more season loan as long as the player is under 21.

Archived