your greatest ever signing

on any of the football managers whos been your greatest signing. in mine i've had a load of wonderkids or great youth players turn out for the club but for me it has to be one of the following

Conrad Balatoni - fm12 - signed him for droylsden when i took over at christmas in the relegation zone, he retired as a player and became Assistant manager of droylsden under me in the premiership, scored in all the divisions.

Marlon Harewood - fm10 - signed him on loan on the deadline day, for my cardiff team, and thought it would just use him as a bench player, as i had the likes of bothroyd, chops, but brought him on as a sub during our bad patch, and he ran the show, constantly up and down the channels, winning corners, free kicks, penalties, turned out to be my best player, finishing with 23 goals, 17 assists, and he had won us 12 penalties 10 of which where scored by whittingham.

Kerion Richardson - fm12 - signed him free transfer as a very old man at my droylsden team when i was in league one, our first season there, it was january and where struggling in the bottom 4, he came in and for some reason, my team became complete, he was making assist after assist, his passing just seemed to help with the defence as he passed it out of trouble.

whos yours....

Signed a 17yr old Argentinian CB (regen) called Gastón Cáldas from River Plate on my last FM12 save, for £1.5M - my scouts rated him as having "the potential to be a key player for the team..."

Within 1 year of youth team fixtures his attributes were comparable to an average Premier League CB, and they kept on rising...

Out of sheer curiosity, I downloaded that Genie Scout program to check him out. Turned out his PA was 200 and he had "the potential to be as good as Vincent Kompany..."

By the time he was 21 he was valued at £25M, his attributes were ridiculously good, and Genie Scout said he was the best player in the world in his role.

Signed an aging Ronaldinho on a Newcastle save on FM08 and playing in the hole he led the team to a Premier League title and a Champions League final which we lost to Barcelona, Ronaldinho sent off late in the first half after putting us one up inside the first few minutes. Was his last game for Newcastle. The sheer drama of it all was almost too much. Good memories.

Kyle Wilson. FM 2006. Signed him on loan in my second season managing Aldershot in the Conference north. He tore the league apart with great pace and finishing. The following season he was in the Crewe first team but things didn't work out but in January I managed to loan him again. Same as before he ran the show firing in 20+ goals in half a season to take us to the football league. The following year I tried to bring him in on a relative cheap transfer just around 20K but we lacked the money for wages. We were by now his favourite club however and he agreed for a third term on loan with us for the season. It was another amazing season where he was the complete focus and show piece for the squad. It was his goals that saw us reach league 2 for back to back to back promotion. And then his contract with Crewe came to an end. This time he was happy to talk and we had a little more room and the budget. And 3 years after he first appeared for the club he became an official player. His form stayed red hot throughout. He scored in every league taking us to the premiership, He became the clubs record top goalscorer with over 200 goals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Wilson_(English_footballer)

I'm unsure if he is still in FM13 database but his real career never took off unfortunately.

On FM13, I got a youth candidate with 5 star potential with Afc Telford in the BLN, and for the last 7 seasons he has been scoring 30+ goals every season since... not a bad player to get from your youth academy...

I played a load of saves on FM12 and never once got a 1st-team regular from the youth academy. Massively disappointing.

fm 2012 rainer rausch a wonderkid i signed in the third season at manchester united for 9 million was only 17 years old and i didnt want to hamper his progress so i sold vidic to tottenham and he eventually became the best defender on the game every season

hervin ongenda cant remember how much i bought him for but he becomes best player in the world when hes 27 onwards

barca & madrid was after him

fm 2013 arturo vidal looks likes hes gonna be the kingpin of my team along with fletcher

On FM07 I was managing Lazio. I signed a 17 year-old German AMR/FC regen from Freiburg called Soren Becker for £9.3M. He was a horrifically one-dimensional player, but what he did have he was complete in. He was a like cross between Inzaghi, Walcott and the Rock.

He had:

15 Finishing

20 Dribbling

20 Pace

20 Acceleration

20 Strength

20 Stamina

20 Natural Fitness

20 Agility

18 Composure

19 Off the Ball

Most of his other stats were dire, but it didn't matter. Between him and this chap that I'd never heard of called Sergio Aguero I was racking up 70 goals a season.

---

My other best-ever signing was with the same side. I found an insanely good American regen called Michael Stewart who was inexplicably playing for Swiss side Servette FC. He was basically an all-round brilliant midfielder, not unlike Zidane. Other sides were snooping around so I panicked and overbid to deter counter offers. I could have had him for £400,000 but ended up paying £1,000,000.

Exactly one year later his base value was £33,000,000.

Note: Sergio Aguero deserves a mention in himself because I got him for £10,500,000 from a recently-relegated Atletico Madrid who were having a fire sale. He was 23 by that time and was pretty much exactly as good as he is now, if not slightly better.

That Lazio side man...

My ultimate signing ever in fm was in my cheltenham save from years back. Think it was 2001. Signed a certain Michael Branch on a free whilst in league 2 and he scored 126 goals!!! He was european and world footballer of the year in league two! God i wish i still had that save. I still reminisce about it with my friends. However my most recent would be Kwadwo Asamoah in FM12 signed him for spurs for a measly 7m from Udinese and he consistantly scored 15+ goals a season chipping in with 10+ assists. Ran my midfield for a decade!

In FM11 I bought a youngster (regen) called Fabian Müller for my Championship Southampton side, for around £4.7m from Arsenal.

He wound up staying with the club right through until his retirement, becoming the club record scorer in the process. He wasn't actually all that good in terms of attributes, but for some reason it just worked - he could run at defences and absolutely tear them to ribbons, which was an utter delight when playing as a team that was usually up against it.

My favourite ever game was in our first season in the Champions League - I expected to get absolutely hammered, and one of our early matches was a group stage game away at Mourinho's all-conquering Madrid side. They were brilliant, far better than us, but Müller broke three times to score a hat-trick and give us a mind-boggling victory.

Never before or since had a player to compare.

On FM11, Michael Wilson, my wonderkid striker came up through my academy at Chelsea and scored over 1000 goals for club and country before I stopped playing and moved over to FM12. The kid was pretty much the perfect striker.

Prior to Wilson, I had two great players on FM07 that I enjoyed two, both regens again, Eyal Cnafo and Matthew Thompson. Cnafo was an Israeli striker who I signed when he looked decent, sent him on loan to Palace and he came back a world beater, averaging over a goal a game. Thompson was an attacking midfielder I signed from Watford when he was young, he reminded me of Ballack, great with both feet and deadly in the air. They made a great combo.

In FM07 I took secure re-promotion for Juventus and set about making signings. My best two were certainly bringing Bojan Krkic and Theo Walcott. They were both young, extremely quick and had the world at their feet as strikers. I also got Marcelo (he who is now at Real Madrid) And there was a young man called Anthony Vanden Borre, and amazing rightback from Belgium who was eternally underrated.

In FM08 Juan Roman Riquelme was my go-to man, bringing him in to whatever team I managed - or settling for Rivaldo if I couldn't afford him. I took Aston Villa to the top, it was weird, my scouts said Riquelme would be a 'good' signing, he was never rated as the best player in my team, but he lead the league in assists and was there or thereabouts with goals - freekicks ftw. Pretty sure this was when I stumbled upon Gabriel Torje, among other young guns.

I believe FM09 was the year in which Pavel Pograbnyak was the perfect target man. I loved that guy, and you could get him from Zenit for like 3m euros. He was huge, strong, pretty quick, a mental colossus and in the red for finishing, heading, and a bunch of other technical things.

I can't really remember many particularly amazing things from FM2010, 11 or 12.

In FM13 I found a 17/18 year old in the lower Scottish leagues (I'm taking Rangers to the champ's league trophy) called Noel Makombo-Eboma. He plays for Alloa Athletic, and although he has pretty weak mental stats, he top scored in the Scottish Second Division at the age of 18 (apart from my 16 year old regen, who I kinda resent :p) with 22 goals and when I bought him for $500k he had 14 dribbling, 14 finishing and 14 first touch, with 14 pace and accel. He's been out for like 5 months with a badass injury but the awesome strikers I signed in efforts to fill his gap (Valerie Germaine, Florian Raspentino and a brazillian regen wonderkid called Mazinho) have collectively failed and I am pretty sure I'm gonna put him right into the first team on his return.

*EDIT* Oh, and there's Korey Smith from Norwich, he can develop into a pretty great BWM.

*EDIT* Can we stop calling regens awesome signings? They're regens, I got a 16 year old with 15 finishing, first touch, heading, technique and awesome mental stats who has top scored every season since he appeared and you don't hear me calling him by greatest ever signing.

This year?

Either Wilshere (£33m) or Di Maria (£21m) for Pompey.

Signing Pato for £10k come close, what a bargain.

Ever? That has to be David Villa on FM07 for Chelsea, 45 goals a season without fail until he was 35.

*EDIT* Can we stop calling regens awesome signings? They're regens, I got a 16 year old with 15 finishing, first touch, heading, technique and awesome mental stats who has top scored every season since he appeared and you don't hear me calling him by greatest ever signing.

The OP never specified that it had to be 'real' players. If you don't want to hear about regens (because for some reason you don't think they should count) then that's your prerogative.

But please don't scoff at the fact because not all of us share your point of view. Some of us actually enjoy hearing about great regens.

easily i have to go back to FM07 i think was 06 or 07 anyways. My Rangers team was built on hunger for success as always. But it was missing something, Very important - a goalscorer. I snapped up a 17 year old regen from Chillie for £35k based on a scout report. My friends mocked me saying this striker would never cut it in Europe there was a reason he was so cheap.

I laughed all the way to the bank when he became Europe's top scorer and with the help of some good midfielders we finally found that champions league winning mentality going from knockout regulars to winners.

On FM12 i picked up Amato Ciccertti (spelling on that) on a free and he developed into one of the worlds best midfielders.

Mine would have to be a regen called Miguel Angel Ramirez on FM07. Signed the AMC for Vilarreal for 4m as a 18yr old, by the time he was 22 he was the best player in the world :), valued 46m. Free kicks 20, long shots 20, passing, creativity, dribbling, finishing and pace were all 19! Didn't even use genie scout to find him either! Never found anyone like him on any game again :(.

I have to admit one of the best players I've signed in the game was easily Ibrahimovic the season after he moved to Ajax. Just because how big he is now and how much I used to tell my friends he will be a star. And throw into the mix Erick Torres from FM12. I had an amazing 10-15 years with Fenerbahce and then with United with Erick Torres reaching god status amongst the Old Trafford faithful.

I also still vouch for finding Tuncay Sanli from Sakarya Spor in CM01/02 and even signed him with Fener which is what happened IRL only 12 months after it happened in my game intentionally by me after seeing a couple games of his!

Ralf Heinrich. I think it's FM10? Maybe someone will be able to tell me by looking at the screenshots.

Signed him as a 17 year old and for the next decade and a half he was the greatest footballer the world has ever seen.

Due to some international bug (He was German) Germany stopped picking any real players when he was about 25, he finished with 61 goals in 64 caps.

The last screenshot I have of him was when he was 29, he had 354 league goals in 368 games at that time for me.

9ralfheinrich.png

9ralfheinrichhistory.png

On FM10, an American regen called Nathan Vasquez. Signed him aged 21, after he'd spent a couple of years in Germany after moving from LA Galaxy. Was a good performer, was averaging a rating of 7.5 with Bayern. Paid 25m for him. He got 44 goals in the league in his first season. And he never looked back. He was even better than that Couch guy a few posts back. While I was at the club he scored an average of over a goal a game for 8 seasons. By the time he retired aged 38, still at Liverpool, and playing as a CM/CAM rather than a striker for most of the past 4-5 years, he'd played over 900 games I think, and had 700 goals I believe. I don't think there's ever been a better player I've seen on my FM or anyone elses. Ever. Before I retired I checked his PA, it was 200, and I can only assume he reached it. Won World Player of the year pretty much every full year he was with me while he was in his 20s.

This wasn't a thread about the best real player you signed, it's the greatest ever signing. For some of us, that's a regen due to what they achieved at the club.

In FM13 so far it has to be Kyriakos Papadopoulos for my Leeds side. He was my most expensive signing at 26m, but hes unstoppable. Player ratings in this new patch favor DC's heavily, and a beast of DC like Papadopoulos wins MoM even in games I lose.

Going waaaaaaay back to CM97/98 (I think), a teenage Nicolas Anelka was released by Arsenal- that was just as he blew up, big-time, in real life.

In game, he was doing the same thing for me at Gillingham for £1k/week in League One- something like 50-odd goals in the league. Had no chance of holding onto him, but he single-handedly took us up.

This FM, Jan Kirchhoff, signed him second season for my Saints team for £7.5 million, he has averaged over 7.5 every season since and has been a rock at the back.

Overall probably Robinho when he was still at Santos, was doing a game with my mate who was Milan and I was Inter and he was absurdly good for me scoring 40+ seasons for about 5 years of that game. At the same time my mate also signed Kaka (before his real life transfer to milan) and he was also awesome.

I loved it and remember playing FM italia back in 1994 and signing a young Eric Cantona when I was managing Juventus.

playing the ultimate longball tactic of 2-3-5 , with Cantona in the center of the 5 up front he got an average rating for the ENTIRE season of 10 and something like 25 MOM awards and wel over 150plus goals for the season..... alongside a young roberto baggio it was an awsome team

Angelo Peruzzi in nets

Moreno Torricelli CB

Jürgen Kohler CB

Antonio Conte CM

Paulo Sousa CM

Didier Deschamps CM

Alessandro Del Piero FC

Gianluca Vialli FC

Fabrizio Ravanelli FC

Roberto Baggio FC

And Eric Cantona FC

what a strikeforce.. All in their prime as well I remember playing 5 or 6 seasons where they were just on fire.....

ooh the memories.... makes me want to get an old copy and do it all again

Sooooo many legendary players probably choose either Nathan Delfounso on loan at Redditch United FM08, tore up the league got over a goal a game or this Senegalese gen I had at Hodd in Norway signed him as 17 year old on FM11 went onto become the best player in the world for Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga

My best signing ever was Carlos Fierro in FM12, in his first season in Stuttgart he scored over 30 goals, and next seasons he was doing even better. He became Stuttgart's legend, team top scorer, in his best season scoring 62 league goals. In FM13 my best signing so far is Yassine Benzia for free, scoring 17 goals in 9 league matches so far!

I've had so, so many over all the FM's and to be honest I don't know if there's a standout but I think i'll plump with last year's game, my Brazilian AMC called Marcao, not gonna describe, will just stick up a picture, he was just basically Ronaldinho with the ball at his feet and Henry at putting them in the nets.

6375A9EF07DF0B8750EF62BC1FCC7BE23C4912E5

Fm2010 - Italian newgen called Fausto Esposito.

After struggling to find the right striker who could finish, create and work his socks off for my great Cagliari side, I snapped him up and developed him into a more industrious version of Messi playing a false nine role. Scored bucket loads.

Archived