David Alaba - Austrian Express

Koki Balboa

I noticed David Alaba, first time three years ago in FM 2010, and IRL. He started as a surprisingly technical and versatile left side allrounder. Right Now he is more than good prospect. In FM 2013 he is a must buy for teams which like to play with inside forwards and wingbacks or attacking fullbacks. I like Alaba because he adds a depth to my Arsenal team, develops very well in training, has English spoken language, and determination 19. His crossing is outstanding and because of his physical stats he is easily one of my most deadliest weapons in 4-2-3-1 formation with inside forward and Alaba being Wingback in line with CentreBacks, and Attack duty. He is a little bit weak with concentration (10), and aerial competence (jumping 10) but I'm sure that this can be bumped, with performances and time since he is only 20 years old.

zxso3s.jpg

27zyps3.jpg

He can be bought for 20 Million Euros at the beggining, and believe me or not, he is well worth it.

Just a shame he can't mark a player for damn ....

Top class player otherwise though.

Yes you are right, unfortunately. But I don't want him to be a marking type of player. His defence is only on the tackling and physical aspect of game. I play him more of a wing back with not much defensive duties on his side of the pitch. I have two centre backs, Vermalen which is covering for him when defending, and Ball Winning Midfielder, and Deep Lying Playmaker, to cover for the gaps in defence when he goes upwards. That is functioning very well at the moment. I'm in middle November with 11 points in front of United, and 13 points in front of City, without defeat.

Alaba plays important part in my attack, since GK distribution is towards him, and his technical abilities are easily tearing apart opposition defence, with passing crossing, and assists.

On the other hand his partner in defence is Sagna, which is concentrated solely on defence.

If you buy Alaba to play defence solely, you are destined for failure :cool:

OMG, i just lost "Sun Tanned" in the title :confused:

Just to explain, Alaba is my favorite player IRL, I simply love the guy, and "Sun Tanned" is because of his Austrian nationality (everyone in Austria seems like pale (white) tanned) and he is pretty boy, always smiling, and his attitude is like :" I'm so cool, always smiling, like i was on the beach with some girls moments ago"...

There isn't any kind of offence in any way possible meant. I'm just a big fan of nicknames, and jokes :D

My post gone and thread title change? Fair enough :D

He's impossible to play against on my game, United got him before I did and he's a beast, scored a cracker against me. Guardiola (United manager on my save) doesn't seem to have decided on his best position though, plays him all over the pitch

Yeah, I guess you know better then Heynckes, Hoeness and Van Gaal, they've said that he is the best young left back in the world. But hey, who are those guys..

nothing to do with what some IRL people says

in game, he can't mark a player, can't get in the right position, can't head a ball and can't concentrate - I would never play a player with those stats in a defensive position

it might work, but I wouldn't do that

Yeah, I guess you know better then Heynckes, Hoeness and Van Gaal, they've said that he is the best young left back in the world. But hey, who are those guys..

His post isn't about real life, it is about FM.

So posts like yours aren't necessary in future, thanks.

Football Manager isn't real life and whether Alaba is a class LB in real life or not isn't relevant.

Look at his stats and then look at the stats that a Left Back needs.

Marking, Positioning, Concentration are arguably the three most important stats (well, and tackling too) for a LB. Alaba is poor in these three key areas. I would maybe play him at LWB with 3 CBs where he doesn't really need to be able to defend too much. But even then, I think his stats favour a central midfield role. He looks like the type that can dominate a midfield.

I tell you what. If you can find me a quote from Heynckes, Hoeness or Van Gaal saying he's the best young left back in Football Manager then I'll take back what I said. Oh, okay then.

Looks class but not as a Left Back. He can't mark nor position himself. I would use him at MC as an Advanced Playmaker on a Support role. Would be perfect for that.

I'm in Season 2 and he's 12/13/13 for marking/tackling/positioning which is good enough for me. He's replaced Enrique as my first choice left-sided full-back/wing-back (depending on the tactic I'm employing, normally attacking full-back, but I'm working on an asymetric formation with him as a wingback).

Just realised how great it could be to have him at Juve - Austian Express on the left, Swiss Express on the right side. :brock:

Man City have signed him in my side, and has been running riot as their left back up the left side for seasons now. May lack certain traditional defensive attributes, but other areas of his game clearly make up for his overall effectiveness when played at left back. I think I cottoned on to the fact that he's a pretty damn good attacking full back early on in his thread last year when I brought him, not to say I've set a trend or anything, that'd be silly... :D

As I say, Man City brought him, and has turned out pretty well under the AI I'd say (January 2018).

8248031901_1eb15e0da8_b.jpg

8248031431_9803611b2f_b.jpg

Looks class but not as a Left Back. He can't mark nor position himself. I would use him at MC as an Advanced Playmaker on a Support role. Would be perfect for that.

I disagree, he ain't got enough creativity for the playmaker position. Keep him on the left side where he belongs and he'll be phenomenal.

I think most important features of Alaba is his role versatility.

I use him in 3 different ways:

- WB in a 4-line defense against very low opponent.

- WB in a 3-5-2 when I want midfield density

- Also in a 4-2-3-1 as AML when I want crosses instead of cutting inside.

Great Player!

• 3 weeks later...

Signed him at left back for my Arsenal team and I have become the meanest defence in the league from being not great at all. Not saying they are linked but to suggest he shouldn't be played at left back because of his defensive frailties is flawed since they aren't that bad, his attacking game more than makes up for it also. Fullbacks are as much about their forward game as their defensive

Archived