Domestic Bias-Domestic Genius

A challenge or a question, you can decide.

In FM i try to adhere to certain things like never spending more than £5m on my transfer budget (hard bloody task this year!), developing youth and having the ability to put out a whole team that's entirely made up of players from the nation of the league i'm playing in.

It's harder than it sounds. Obviously you need quality to win and when it comes to buying home nations players the prices are often massively inflated.

Last year you could win the Champions League with an all Spain Barca or Madrid, but it was hard to get anything close to competitive with an english team mainly because the best players were often at clubs with a rivalry and thus you could never get them.

This is my all England Tottenham from last year. I had top level foreigners too but, i rolled this team out in cups and league games i was confident i'd win.

Forster (GK)

Baines (LB)

Shawcross (CB)

Caulker (CB)

Walker (RB)

Mutch (BWM)

Cork (AP)

Rodwell (CM)

Johnson (IFR)

Lennon (IFL)

Wellbeck (P)

subs

Loach

Dann

Naughton

Huddlestone

Parker

Townsend

Jay Rodriguez

This isn't to be confused with a national team thread. I am asking if you can go to a country like England, pick a club and buy and sell so that you can put out a wholly English 18 that you'd be happy to pit against the best in the game. Doesn't have to be your whole squad, you just have to put out 18 players from the home nation.

I like to set myself similar limitations, buying players of the same nationality as my club, buying 'favoured personnel', legends, icons, ex-players etc.

Currently at PSG (see thread) I have done what you are talking about and have a near-complete French team (it will be by the end of season 1) that is going to finish 1st or 2nd in Ligue 1. They, of course, have a bigger budget than English counterparts - something like £42 million to start with and a massive wage budget. So far I have spent £98 million and received £65 million (£33 million net spend) according to the transfer history page. The only complaint so far from my board at PSG has been 'lack of high profile signings' even though most of them are French internationals - FM doesn't allow you to respond to them with your philosophy on that point.

On a smaller scale, I did a similar thing with Gillingham. It was a challenge taking them from League 2 to the Premier League in 4 seasons based solely on purchases with South East England connections (e.g players who played or had played in London and surrounding areas) with an extension to include our French cousins a ferry hop away from Kent (club reputation limited these picks to just reserves/lower league players). I used the same idea at Sao Paulo too, but that's easy to do in Brazil and most parts of South America because most of your squad is home-based anyway.

In the English Premier League I am sure you could do such a thing again on FM13, but guess it would take a few years to set up due to the funding. Of course it's a balancing act between picking players good enough to get results and those that are chosen just because they are 'the right nation'.

I'd say there are two ways to try: (a) A club with a massive budget (like Man City) but where you would have to offload loads of foreign stars (b) A club that has a decent core of English players already (like Tottenham) even if their budget is much more modest. The second option would be far easier in my opinion.

Yeah, Spurs is usually where i try to hit. Them or Arsenal. But, if you go Spurs you miss out on Wilshere and if you go Arsenal you miss out on Walker, Caulker and Jones who can be pried from Man U with a bit of luck and patience.

It does seem that you've got a choice of spending loads or trying to balance it with regens. Spurs and Arsenal are decent choices though, there's a good few players at each that you can sell off in order to finance the moves.

So far at Arsenal i've got a large number of English but my domestic bias is still below the half way mark >: (

Forster (GK)

Baines (LB)

Shawcross (CB)

Caulker (CB)

Walker (RB)

Mutch (BWM)

Cork (AP)

Rodwell (CM)

Johnson (IFR)

Lennon (IFL)

Wellbeck (P)

I use exactly the same formation and roles. :thup:

I can never convince myself to purchase only domestic players. I do try to have a slight bias, but I always just want the best, in the end.

I try to do it with a lot of teams but usually end up sacrificing HG status for quality.

I prefer to play the game with realistic spending - I rarely have a save where I spend more than I sell. I usually don't need to operate a sell-before-you-buy stance but I like to operate something similar (usually buy-then-sell). Examples being my Arsenal and Newcastle saves. Huge success but still making money from transfers as opposed to losing...

Had a Stade Rennais save on FM11 where I had a completely French side (had one or two part-French players whose primary nationality was actually some form of African nationality, such as Malian and Senegalese)... won the Champions League with 'em before stopping the save.

Steele

Solly

Stones

Batth

Shaw

Redmond

Ward Prowse

Will Hughes

Sterling

Mason Bennett

Adam Campbell

2-3 years in, this team can rule the world frankly.

In almost every nation you can find players that with time and effort can easily blend into a championship winning team, it's usually a matter of giving them the attention and intense training they need to reach their potential.. the AI just isn't effective at this yet.

I did it with Borrusia Dortmund in last years FM. Didn't do it from the start, so it was basically slowly building towards it, instead of suddenly buying all German players.

Was really fun as Dortmund have an amazing youth system, as do many other German clubs.

Currently trying to do it with Rangers but its hard when you become ambitious. My future team, are still too young for a drastic change atm, and the current real Scottish players aren't good enough, and/or are on stupidly high wages and cost too much.

With Scottish players? Hell, you like a challenge :p

Steele

Solly

Stones

Batth

Shaw

Redmond

Ward Prowse

Will Hughes

Sterling

Mason Bennett

Adam Campbell

2-3 years in, this team can rule the world frankly.

In almost every nation you can find players that with time and effort can easily blend into a championship winning team, it's usually a matter of giving them the attention and intense training they need to reach their potential.. the AI just isn't effective at this yet.

Are Redmond, Steele and Sterling good this year? The first 2 were fast and no more last year and Steele was never up with the best. I'll check out Batth and Solly when i can get my game running again (bloody Steam and Proxy networks) bu Campbell and Bennett don't look too hot at the start of the game. That being said, i do think it'll be doable to win the champs league with an all english unit in this years game although my love of Fierro, Lars Bender and Ter Stegen may just hinder me from actually managing it :D

With Scottish players? Hell, you like a challenge :p

Are Redmond, Steele and Sterling good this year? The first 2 were fast and no more last year and Steele was never up with the best. I'll check out Batth and Solly when i can get my game running again (bloody Steam and Proxy networks) bu Campbell and Bennett don't look too hot at the start of the game. That being said, i do think it'll be doable to win the champs league with an all english unit in this years game although my love of Fierro, Lars Bender and Ter Stegen may just hinder me from actually managing it :D

Redmond, steele and sterling are all top class... But you can swap them out with a dozen others too if you needed..

Same with solly and batth... plenty of others out there too.. Trippier, Lees, Ryan Bennett, Craig Dawson, Michael Keane, Macguire, Caulker, Spence, Briggs etc.

Campbell is world class by 2014... here's a screenie from one person as an example.... Bennett is the same.:

8585372762_1a17f6894d_b.jpg

I've done what welshace did with only British/Irish players and won everything fairly quickly. Took a lot of wheeling and dealing, but it's definitely possible. Did it with Wigan too, as I like a challenge/am slightly sadistic. Ended up with:

Steele

Clyne

Batth

Hanley

Cathcart

Neil Taylor

McArthur

McCarthy

Cleverley

Powell

Danny Graham

Plenty of other decent players too, the key is mopping up all of the slightly decent regens every March. Being affiliated with Crewe and Middlesbrough helps too, or anyone with excellent youth facilities. A lot of times you can see English players especially being transfer listed by bigger clubs who no longer need them - picked up Jack Butland (£1.7m) and Tom Cleverley (£9m) in this way. Much cheaper than trying to force them into your team.

Redmond, steele and sterling are all top class... But you can swap them out with a dozen others too if you needed..

Same with solly and batth... plenty of others out there too.. Trippier, Lees, Ryan Bennett, Craig Dawson, Michael Keane, Macguire, Caulker, Spence, Briggs etc.

Campbell is world class by 2014... here's a screenie from one person as an example.... Bennett is the same.:

8585372762_1a17f6894d_b.jpg

Wow, he really does turn out good although (like most of the english youngies) he's lacking a few technical attributes. Still, boy gets results by the look of it.

I just wonder how much pace comes into the star rating system though. Walcott has pretty rubbish attributes except for a select few and he's always highly rated. I'll have a nose at the others you mentioned though. Currently working on Shaw, Stones, Green and Ward-Prowse as well as a couple others that're on loan.

Wow, he really does turn out good although (like most of the english youngies) he's lacking a few technical attributes. Still, boy gets results by the look of it.

I just wonder how much pace comes into the star rating system though. Walcott has pretty rubbish attributes except for a select few and he's always highly rated. I'll have a nose at the others you mentioned though. Currently working on Shaw, Stones, Green and Ward-Prowse as well as a couple others that're on loan.

Well a forwards role is to beat the defence and finish cleanly... walcott is perfect at the first part of that with his pace and he has 15 finishing i think? which is top notch (without being world class) .. which makes him superb at his job... the star system will have bias on certain stats like this.

That and the fact that the star system is flawed as it takes reputation into account a bit too heavily :)

Don't forget Jamal Lascelles :(.

Sadly isn't as rated as highly this year.. but still worthy of a premiership team, especially with his influence... I love a good CB captain :)

He's also expensive it seems... tried to get him on my new everton save yesterday... forest wanted 4 million...

noooppppee

Archived