[FM 13] If Arrested Development can come back after a Hiatus, so can I! - A Cerud Career

cerud

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Too bad this ruined your finances and in the end your spell there :(

However, reading through the article it seems that the board are not as moronic as they were accused to be in here. The news item says the expansion had to be carried out due to the league requirements. Seems like they had no choice.

Never noticed that about the league mandating the expansion. I guess it was league mandated exploitation ;)

Doesn't really look like having potential for expansion though :D

Given that I'm selling about 10% of it right now, expansion's is not a concern for the time being.

Good start to life in Spain :thup:
Good luck with your new look Extremadura.
Decent start in Spain, first season is always about staying up.

Standing up may be a bit of a battle. We're definitely being outplayed in many matches.

Good ol Lanzarote propping up the table :D

Safety should be on the cards with a start like that :)

Lanzarote is in the league, but is definitely taking a pounding!

Rare to see people go down to these depths in Spain on here, should be an interesting one. Good luck! Looks like you've had a solid start.
Great read so far and I'm enjoying your exploits in Spain - keep it up

Thanks, guys. I'm finding this lower league of Spain difficult. Not the league itself, mainly due to the club that I'm with. This is their first season in this league and they are newly professional. When I joined, there was no backroom staff and no full time players. It's been completely overhaul and I'm still waiting for the club to gel. I'm betting that this season will be a mid-table showing and hopefully challenge for the title next year.

October 2013 Update

bad_Extremadura_UD2.gif

Extremadura U.D. - Segunda División B Grupo 4

Segunda División B Grupo 4

fixpj.png

6 October 2013 - UCAM Murcia C.F. - Home - 1-2 Loss

The UCAM match was a bit of a let down. We tied the match in the second half with a half hour left to go. Unfortunately, we couldn't hold on as UCAM hit back for the win in the 89th minute.

13 October 2013 – C.D. San Roque de Lepe - Away - 2-4 Loss

Ouch. San Roque really hit us hard. They let off a bit in the second half and we tried to get back into the game, but a straight red card to Ruba meant we were down a player for the tail end.

20 October 2013 - Écija Balompé - Home - 1-0 Win

A win! It's been a bit since our last successful match, so this was a nice change of form. I held a team meeting before the match to bring up morale and it seemed to help. Konate is listed as our best striker, but I hadn't been playing him as he had been goalless for the entire season. He's now had a goal in both of his matches back. Looks like he's ready.

27 October 2013 – U.D. Mérida - Away - 1-0 Win

This was a tough battle against a club that was expected to easily win. Thankfully, they're the league underperformers so far. We pulled ahead early in the second half for the one goal of the match.

The Standings

standvg.png

Goal production is still our main problem. Our striker do decent enough when they have the ball; however, we are having problems getting the ball up to them. The midfield has been the bulk of our injuries so far, which looks to be affecting us more than I'd like.

With ten matches now finished and just over a quarter of the season, I'm happy with our position in the table. It's a tight table and a win or loss can mean a shift in several positions. He need to ensure that we don't have a lapse in morale again.

November 2013 Update

bad_Extremadura_UD2.gif

fixb.png

3 November 2013 - C.P. Cacereño - Home - 1-2 Loss

I was hoping that we would be able to hang on to the tie, but Cacereño took the win in the 83rd minute. I was able to play by new goalkeeper, Radic, who I signed off a free. He had a good match despite the loss.

10 November 2013 – San Fernando C.D. - Away - 2-4 Loss

We went down by 3 goals in the first half. However, we fought back well early in the second with 2 strong goals of our own. Our comeback attempt was short lived as they buried another and we lost our will.

17 November 2013 - Xerex C.D., SAD - Home - 0-1 Loss

We came up against the best team in the league and I was expecting a bad loss. However, the boys played rather well. They had several chances but just couldn't get anything by their keeper. All in all, a much better effort though.

24 November 2013 – U.D. Almería B - Away - 2-3 Win

Sometimes, you wonder if your players even know how to play this game. We had more open nets than I can count, but just couldn't (or wouldn't) take the easy shot. I even had one player get a brilliant pass, cross into the 6 yard box, wide open net, and instead, fall with no one around and break his leg. Out 7 months. I also had a pass back to my goalkeeper headed by a defender just over my goalkeeper. The keeper, instead of running back to collect the ball, decided to walk away. Perhaps he saw a flower on the pitch he wanted. An opposing striker walked in and converted the easy goal. Stupidity, audacity, and disbelief were abound in this game.

The Standings

standct.png

That was a tough month to take. We are sitting in a precarious 13th place, only 3 points above relegation. We have to change something, but I know that it is simply we do not have the players for this level. Building a squad from scratch is difficult because the players who are rated a 5 stars in the beginning, start going down in ratings as others come in. I'm just hoping for survival.

December 2013 Update

bad_Extremadura_UD2.gif

fixuk.png

1 December 2013 - Cádiz C.F., S.A.D. - Home - 2-2 Tie

Cádiz was expected to destroy us, or so said the media. In reality, this was a very evenly matched game. Both sides had roughly the same chances. Cádiz took a lead in the 84th minutes, which I thought we wouldn't be able to overcome. However, 3 minutes later Atangana broke in from a defensive position with a brilliant shot at the end of the 16 yard box. The tie was welcome after so many losses last month.

8 December 2013 – Lucena C.F. - Home - 0-3 Loss

A complete opposite match. It was scary just how bad we played. It was like watching pro players go up against novice kids.

15 December 2013 - Unión Estepona C.F. - Away - 1-2 Loss

Another deflating defeat. It started bad as Estepona scored only 42 seconds in.

22 December 2013 – C.D. Alcalá - Away - 1-1 Tie

I was hoping for the win. Desperate for it. Alcalá scored in the 92nd minute, the final play of the game. Hard to take.

The Standings

standa.png

We've dropped three more spots in the table to sit on the bubble of relegation. It's scary when you're coming up against a clubs in 18th or 19th place and the media reports 10-1 odds and says that you "face the impossible." I'm beginning to wonder if the experiment of trying to build a club from the ground up was rather stupid. We just can't string anything together, not because of bad tactics, but because of players that are not up to this league's level. I'll stick around for January at least to see how it goes, but it's looking bad on several fronts.

Our Board is trying to take a bit of pressure off.

cashq.png

Given that we are losing more than $200K each month, this will not last long. Not sure how, but my 2 scouts have racked up more expenses than my entire payroll.

2013 Global Review

5199060364_8b27bb5a36_m.jpg

Domestic Clubs

Barclays Premier League

2012-2013 - 1st Man Utd, 2nd Man City, 3rd Chelsea, Relegated West Ham, Reading, Southampton

Serie A TIM

2012-2013 - 1st Juventus, 2nd Roma, 3rd Napoli, Relegated Genoa, Catania, Pescara

Liga BBVA

2012-2013 - 1st Real Madrid, 2nd Barcelona, 3rd Valencia, Relegated Deportivo, Valladolid, Rayo

1. Bundesliga

2012-2013 - 1st Dortmund, 2nd FC Bayern, 3rd Leverkusen, Relegated Düsseldorf, Augsburg

Ligue 1 Orange

2012-2013 - 1st PSG, 2nd Lyon, 3rd Marseille, Relegated Stade Reims, Troyes, Brest

American/Canadian Major League Soccer

2013 - Winners Los Angeles, Runners Up Colombus

2012 - Winners D.C. United, Runners Up San Jose

Domestic Cups

Capital One Cup

2012-2013 - Winners Chelsea, Runner Up Fulham

The FA Cup with Budweiser

2012-2013 - Winners Arsenal, Runner Up Man Utd

TIM Cup

2012-2013 - Winners AC Milan, Runner Up Napolia

Copa del Ray

2012-2013 - Winners At. Madrid, Runner Up Celta

DFB-Pokal

2012-2013 - Winners Schalke, Runner Up Hannover

Coupe de la Ligue

2012-2013 - Winners Aries-Avigon, Runner Up Lyon

Nutrlite Canadian Championship

2013-2014 - Winners Toronto FC, Runners Up Vancouver Whitecaps

2012-2013 - Winners Montreal Impact, Runners Up Vancouver Whitecaps

Lamar Hunt US Open Cup

2013 - Winners Chivas USA, Runners Up FC Dallas

2012 - Winners New York, Runners Up Seattle

Continental Cups

UEFA Champions League

2012-2013 - Winners Barcelona, Runners Up Man City

UEFA Europa League

2012-2013 - Winners Newcastle, Runners Up Inter Milan

CONCACAF Champions League

2012-2013 - Winners Tigres, Runners Up Real Salt Lake

Domestic International Cups

FIFA Club World Cup

2013 - Winners Barcelona, Runners Up - Fluminense

2012 - Winners Chelsea, Runners Up Corinthians

National Competitions

African Cup of Nations

2013 - Winners South Africa, Runners Up Cameroon

January 2014 Update

bad_Extremadura_UD2.gif

fixm.png

5 January 2014 - Sevilla Atlético - Home - 5-0 Win

A win! And what a win it was! A total team effect and a debut for our new left winger, Jean. This was a great match to watch. We moved the ball very well and could have had even more goals.

12 January 2014 – Real Jaén C.F. - Away - 2-4 Loss

This was another decent match against strong opposition. Unfortunately, the skill of Jaén over us was evident. We played well to make an attempt at the match, but they were just a stronger club.

19 January 2014 - F.C. Cartagena - Away - 1-2 Loss

We went into the half with a 1 goal lead from our new winger, Jean, but couldn't hold it.

26 January 2014 – Real Betis B., S.A.D. B - Home - 1-1 Tie

We should have won this one. A lapse of judgement in defense gave Betis B the tying goal in the 78th minute.

The Standings

standkb.png

No gain, no loss. We signed a couple players in this transfer window, Jean, a left winger, and Patrick Raffet, a right back. These were both positions that were lacking. Raffet was just signed late on and hasn't had a match yet.

Our Board also gave us another cash injection. I hope they keep this up as we're bleeding money.

cashv.png

Firstly, well done on earning promotion in Belgium; just a shame that your board turned out to be complete morons, and virtually forced your hand.

In my previous experiences, I can't say I ever particularly enjoyed the Spanish third tier; it can be extremely frustrating with all its playoffs, as well as being quite a long, mostly unrewarding, arduous season too.

Looks like you're being sucked into a bit of a relegation battle. Hopefully you can start picking some more wins again, and pull away from the drop zone :thup:

Reminds me of my time in Spain. Starting small and building a team is tough, but much more satisfying then becoming Manager of Barcelona and having a billion for transfers :) Keep it up, you'll get there.

The building process is a unique one for me. I think I should be able to survive, but I'll be curious how my ever increasing debt affects my wage budget.

what would you say is causing this bad form ?

Well a multitude of factors. The 5-0 win last month was the first match that I was able to field my start XI that I wanted. I always had injuries to contend with. Unfortunately, we picked up another 2 long term injuries in that game, so I it will be the only match this entire season that I can have my starting XI. It's also taken time for my squad to gel, given that they're all new to the club this season. Takes time to know how to play with one another. Finally, the process of building a club from the ground up means that the players I brought it early in the summer that had 5 star ratings, progressively are downgraded as new players are brought in. I have one player who was a 5 star in the beginning, who is now a 3 star silver player. That's how drastic the changes can be.

Bit of a bad spell but hopefully you can turn it around
Looking very tought but hopefully you can stay up. Shame that 5-0 win didn't cause a good run of form, 1 defeat from last month isnt bad though.

Thanks, guys. I'm hoping that we're approaching a turn of fortunes. Hopefully finish a few spots higher than the relegation places.

Firstly, well done on earning promotion in Belgium; just a shame that your board turned out to be complete morons, and virtually forced your hand.

In my previous experiences, I can't say I ever particularly enjoyed the Spanish third tier; it can be extremely frustrating with all its playoffs, as well as being quite a long, mostly unrewarding, arduous season too.

Looks like you're being sucked into a bit of a relegation battle. Hopefully you can start picking some more wins again, and pull away from the drop zone :thup:

It is a longer season than Belgium, but playoffs don't bother me. Every sport we have in Canada has playoff formats, so for me, it's normal. I may need those playoff spots in the next couple years anyway for a promotion possibility :)

It's going to be a struggle to stay up as JackJCFC said it's a pity that 5-0 win didn't see the start of a short run of wins.

I had hoped, but injuries and a stupid goalkeeper who apparently can't pass has hurt us. My new goalkeeper that I brought in has done well, but his throws often miss the intended defender and are picked up by an opposing striker for the easy goal. Not sure how to fix that.

Very close at the bottom,hopefully you can find a bit of form to ease any relegation worries.

This upcoming month was a bit better.

Hopefully you get a team meeting and boost some morale.

Had a couple team meetings this year. They do help with morale; just doesn't transfer to in a match.

February 2014 Update

bad_Extremadura_UD2.gif

fixj.png

2 February 2014 - U.D. Lanzarote - Home - 4-0 Win

Given Lanzarote's record, if you don't do well, you really have a horrible squad. Thankfully, we came out and performed admirably. A 4 goal first half saw us end with the much needed win.

9 February 2014 – C.F. Villanovense - Away - 0-1 Loss

An even match through and through. Villanovense got a nice break in the 84th minute and made it count.

16 February 2014 - U.D. Melilla - Home - 1-1 Tie

A couple quick goals in the first half were all this match had to offer. Melilla went down to 10 men at the 66th minute, but we were unable to capitalize.

23 February 2014 – UCAM Murcia C.F. - Away - 2-1 Win

Murcia took away our lead in the first half with their own answer three minutes later. I figured we were up for another tie, but a penalty kick awarded to us in the 82nd minute gave us two wins on the month.

The Standings

standp.png

We have slowly moved up the table. We're still in a precarious position, but the outlook is better than it was. Right now, I'm just taking it one month at a time. However, I'm getting ominous reports from my Board. They want to become a selling club in order to try and stem the flow of our increasing debt. This could be bad for next season.

March 2014 Update

bad_Extremadura_UD2.gif

fixqs.png

2 March 2014 - C.D. San Roque de Lepe - Home - 1-1 Tie

A match of the bored. San Roque's 6 shots to my 3 had fans on the edge of their seat. I think I may have fell asleep myself in this one.

9 March 2014 – Écija Balompié - Away - 3-2 Win

Truly disappointing. We did everything in our power to lose this match and we couldn't even do that right. We gave away the ball, had horrible passes, showed dispassionate play, and yet, we still won. So, even when we try to lose, we fail. What message does that send to the children?

16 March 2014 - C.P. Cacereño - Away - 1-2 Loss

This match should have been ours. We blitzed Cacereño. Unfortunately, our goalkeeper was not up to the task. The only two shots on goal from Cacereño ended up in the back of the net.

23 March 2014 – U.D. Mérida - Home - 2-0 Win

This was a match that we were heavily expected to win and we didn't disappoint. This was a much better match from the boys.

30 March 2014 – San Fernando C.D. - Home - 1-1 Tie

I was hoping for another win from this match but we just weren't able to hold on. A bit of a disappointing let down in a match that we were expected to win.

The Standings

standt.png

Our record is slowly improving. I've noticed that the star ratings of all my players have all taken another hit. Not sure why; perhaps as my assistant manager and coaches gain more knowledge about the club, they are realizing that our players are not as good as we hoped. At least I have a base to build from. That's the silver lining I keep telling myself.

Yea that makes alot of sense. It seems you on track to avoid relegation
Still a bit of squeaky bum time, but at least you have a margin for error.
2-3 more wins should see you safe :thup:

Thanks all. We're definitely breathing a bit easier. I got those 3 wins. More to come in the April update.

April 2014 Update

bad_Extremadura_UD2.gif

fixmq.png

6 April 2014 - Xerex C.D., SAD - Away - 1-1 Tie

An away match to the top team in the league was supposed to be a one-sided shootout. It was. Thankfully, our goalkeeper, Radic, seems to be getting hot right when it counts. He's been keeping us alive in many games as of late.

13 April 2014 – Cádiz C.F., S.A.D. - Away - 0-3 Loss

We got truly blitzed in the first half. It was 0-3 by the 25th minute. We did better in the second half, but only to stem to bleeding. No offensive retaliation.

16 April 2014 - U.D. Almeria B - Home - 5-1 Win

Five goals from five different goalscorers. Sometimes, a squad plays like a team. Great football to watch.

20 April 2014 – Unión Estepona C.F. - Home - 4-3 Win

This was one of the luckiest matches I've played in a while. Every time they scored, we would instantly follow it up. This case, it was usually a penalty kick. de Paz got the hat trick completely in penalties. Still, it's 3 points and it all helps.

27 April 2014 – Lucena C.F. - Away - 2-1 Win

Lucena tied the match in the 50th minute, but we answered literally on the following play with a great team effort, culminating in Konate scoring a nice diving header.

The Standings

standy.png

And so, we have survived the first season in a new league. There are only 2 matches left and no way for us to lose a spot. We could climb upwards a bit yet, but I'm less worried about that. My main concern is the $1.2 million dollars in debt that we've accumulated this season so far. It's likely to go up yet.

Always had the feeling with some of the better teams you beat earlier in the season that you could turn it around and ensure survival and you've done it comfortably in the end :thup:

Obviously your finances are a worry but that tends to always be the case in LLM unless you get a good cup run.

Always had the feeling with some of the better teams you beat earlier in the season that you could turn it around and ensure survival and you've done it comfortably in the end :thup:

Obviously your finances are a worry but that tends to always be the case in LLM unless you get a good cup run.

Yeah, unfortunately, there is no cup in Spain at this level. No way to bring in a few bucks.

Congrats on surviving relegation,good form at the end of the season beating teams above you successively :D

Thanks, BWG. Hopefully, my squad has had a season to gel and will perform better next season.

May 2014 Update

bad_Extremadura_UD2.gif

fixn.png

4 May 2014 - Sevilla Atlético - Away - 1-2 Loss

Sevilla Atlético is still a strong opponent and was too much for us. We opened the scoring but couldn't hold on to it.

11 May 2014 – C.D. Alcalá - Home - 2-0 Win

Nice to end the season on a winning note. I played several of my younger back ups, giving them a start. They did well and can be proud of how they helped us throughout the season.

The Standings

standw.png

We were able to grab another spot to more into 13rd place for the end of the season. I'll have a season update up soon to round everything out.

However, on another note...

cashqw.png

Hooray!

Pretty nice cash injections for a 3rd division board! :applause:

I could use more! :D

You are gonna need some good free transfers and loans to push for promotion

Definitely, I'm trying to lower my wages right now by resigning a few players to lower wage contracts. I've been able to do this for 3 players and save about $50K. Every bit helps!

2013-2014 Season in Review

bad_Extremadura_UD2.gif

13th Place

The League

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - We suffered from a horrible winter. From about November to the beginning of February, we just couldn't get anything to go our way. However, a couple choice signings in the January transfer window seemed to help greatly. We had a much better final third of the season. I'm hoping that with a little more stability in the coming season, we can at least challenge the top half of the table.

The Stats

Goals Scored: 60 (13th in league)

Goals Conceded: 57 (10th in league)

Average Attendance: 1,162 (13th in league)

The Players

Squad | Transfers - There will need to be some adjustments for the upcoming season. Likely a smaller squad and getting rid of some of the very high contracts. However, there are a few players that have performed well and helped us stave off relegation.

The Standout Players

Gonzalo Oviedo - D C - One of our loan signings. He was a stalwart on the back end. His contract with his actual club ends in a month and I'd love to sign him permanently; however, budgetary constraints may hinder that effort.

Alexis de Paz - DM, M/AM C - Great in the midfield. Plays a decent through ball too.

Ahmed Saïd - ST - Our club's top goalscorer. I'd actually like to replace him and use him as a back up. We are the most weak in attacking players, which is probably the only reason we makes the cut here.

The Backroom

Finances - The bank account took a bit hit this year. Thankfully, our Board has decided to help with that somewhat with a few injections of cash. We'll likely be needing a bit more.

Facilities - No changes. The pitch still seems alright, which is good.

Awards

Fans' Player of the Year - Alexis de Paz

Plans for Next Season

I signed a one year contract extension at $88,000 per year. There's still more work to do here and so long as the Board gives me a decent wage budget, I think that there's a chance to make a push for the playoffs next season. I definitely need to retool the squad a bit, bit this should be easier than last year where I had to build the entire thing.

Looks like all the Lanzarote players were just there on holiday.
Lanzarote always do bad :D They go down than come back and do the same again :S

Glad you stayed up! You going to stay another season despite the financial state of the club? As could be hard to improve.

Lanzarote pretty much was on holiday all season! As for the financial state, my preliminary budget for next season actually sees me with an increase of about $25K for players. Not a lot, but at least it's not going down. It should be something that I can work with.

2014-2015 Pre-Season

bad_Extremadura_UD2.gif

The Stats

Segunda División B Grupo 4: Avoid relegation

Media Prediction: 17th of 20

Bwin Title Odds: 80-1

Wage Budget: $826,093 (+18,221 from last season)

Currently Spending: $728,915 ($97, 178 cap space available)

Transfer Budget: $0

Main Kit Sponsorship: $86,200 (expires 2016)

TV Rights: $69.56K

Average Ticket Price: $14

Average Season Ticket Price: $154

Season Ticket Holders: 1,100

Estimated Value: $1.3M (-$300K from last season)

National Club Ranking in Spain: 116th (+11 spots from last season)

Initial Thoughts

I've been able to sign a couple of the players I had on loan from last year to permanent contracts. However, I still need to fill a couple more positions. I'm not wanting to ruin our squad's harmony too much since the end of last season we played much better. I want to be able to recapture how we were then, but begin at that level.

2014-2015 End of Pre-Season

bad_Extremadura_UD2.gif

The Matches

Portugal - Lower Leagues - Campomalorense - 5-1 win

England - nPower Football League One - Stevenage - 0-3 Loss

Portugal - Lower Leagues - O Callpoiense - 4-0 Win

Portugal - Lower Leagues - Borbense - 9-0 Win

Spain - Segunda División B Grupo 4 - Real Betis B., S.A.D. B - 2-0 win

Spain - Lower League - C.D. Badajoz 1905 - 4-1 Win

Spain - Lower Leagues - C.E. Mercadal - 3-0 Win

The Players

squadiw.png

We've improved the squad is several keys areas. I'm happy to have a Director of Football who has been able to sign a few decent players on his own, with my final approval of course.

Transfers

transferj.png

I wasn't able to get loan signings this year, except for one. Just more difficult in Spain I guess because the B sides play in the regular leagues and can get first team football that way. However, I was able to capture so good signings and improve the squad.

Pre-Season Thoughts

I was unable to get decent friendlies. The only clubs that would agree to play were lower league sides for the most part, which is not an accurate showing of our squad. Still, we have become fluid in our tactics, which should benefit early on in the season.

I also received some more cash from the Board.

cashi.png

It'll be a dark day if the Board ever decides to stop bailing us out.

Archived