[FM 13] If Arrested Development can come back after a Hiatus, so can I! - A Cerud Career

cerud

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A brilliant final season with Vancouver. Extremely dominant domestically, just a shame you couldn't quite do it in the CONCACAF Champions League.

Good luck in Amsterdam. Stay clear of the 'cafés' ;)

Good luck with the new challenge. I have a feeling that Holland will be easy for you.

Ajax has always been the steppingstone for young Danish footballers going pro.

What does you team look like in 2019. Any young Danes to look for?

I have a few young players that I'm going to be giving a bit of playing time to. They have the potential to be strong players.

Good move to Ajax and look forward to seeing you bring back the glory days :)

Thanks, b101. That's the plan!

A brilliant final season with Vancouver. Extremely dominant domestically, just a shame you couldn't quite do it in the CONCACAF Champions League.

Good luck in Amsterdam. Stay clear of the 'cafés' ;)

I live in Vancouver. We have "cafes" of our own here :D

Fantastic move to Ajax. Only 6 points to catch up in the league so the title is still a possibility.

Thanks, Hypanimz. It's close and I'm hoping that once the league starts up, we have a chance.

January 2019 Update

200px-Ajax_Amsterdam.svg.png

AFC Ajax - Eredivisie

The Matches

fixg.png

23 January 2019 - Feyenoord Rotterdam - Home - 3-0 Win

Eredivisie - Attendance - 52,960

My first league match and it went great. Feyenoord are our strongest rivals and above us in the table, so this was an important game to win and to show the fans that I mean to reclaim Ajax's former glory.

26 January 2019 - FC Twente - Away - 0-0 Draw

Eredivisie - Attendance - 30,014

A draw is probably a decent away result to FC Twente. They are ahead of us as well in the stands and it would have been nice to gain some points on them, but we still have time.

29 January 2019 - AZ Alkmaar - Home - 3-0 Win

KNVB Beker - Attendance - 52,960

Early progression in the cup. We dominated the first half with 3 goals and then relaxed for the second half. It also gave me an opportunity to play some younger talent and get them first squad time.

KNVB Beker

knvb.png

The semi final draw will be tricky as PSV are no slouches, but I guess, no team is at this stage.

The Standings

standx.png

We have gained one position in the standings and now our true test begins. The top four clubs are all within a couple points of each other and we need to break into that. Ajax is not a middle table club; we should be at minimum in a fight for the top. 14 matches left to go in order to get back up there. It starts now.

The Transfers

We had a decent January transfer window. I didn't get the rightback I wanted, but I was able to add a few valuable assets. A couple more will arrive in July too.

1 January 2019 - sold Siem de Jong to Sheffield Wednesday (ENG) for $7M.

6 January 2019 - bought Daniel Kofi Agyei from Fiorentina (ITA) for $2.8M.

10 January 2019 - sold Andile Jali to Aston Vila (ENG) for $17.25M.

31 January 2019 - bought Armando Ferencek from GNK Dinamo (CRO) for $10.5M.

Looks possible

I hope so :D

Good luck in Amsterdam :)

btw 'Beker' means Cup in English, so I guess you should delete one out of those two from the competition name ;)

Thanks, jayahar. I guess I got some editing to do!

February 2019 Update

AFC Ajax - Eredivisie

The Matches

fixtn.png

2 February 2019 - Willem II - Home - 4-0 Win

Eredivisie - Attendance - 43,320

This was the first match of a very busy February. Oyarzún got the hattrick, but could have had another. He missed a second penalty kick.

6 February 2019 - Heracles Almelo - Home - 5-0 Win

Eredivisie - Attendance - 43,405

Heracles barely got a sniff in this match. We were solid at home. I'm also happy with the contributions from the midfield throughout this month.

9 February 2019 - PSV - Away - 1-1 Tie

Eredivisie - Attendance - 54,567

Disappointed that we couldn't hold on. PSV scored in the 87th minute, denying us the win.

13 February 2019 - FC Utrecht - Home - 4-0 Win

There is definitely two sets of clubs in this league, those that fight for the top of the league and those who are far below. Thankfully, we're one of those fighting for the top. Clubs such as FC Utrecht are far below us in quality and you can tell in watching the matches and in how the media offer odds on the match.

16 February 2019 - VVV-Venlo - Away - 4-1 Win

Eredivisie - Attendance - 11,780

Oyarzún has been having a stellar month. He added a brace to his total and is now showing up on the league scoring leader board.

21 February 2019 - FC Girondins de Bordeaux - Away - 2-0 Win

UEFA Europa League - Attendance - 23,915

Two extremely valuable away goals put us in a solid position heading back home for the second leg of this 1st Knockout Round.

24 February 2019 - sc Heerenveen - Home - 2-0 Win

Eredivisie - Attendance - 11,780

We were disappointing in the first half and I told the boys as much. They responded well, taking control of the second 45 minutes and securing a good win for us and moving us up the table.

28 February 2019 - FC Girondins de Bordeaux - Home - 1-2 Loss

AFC Ajax win 3-2 on aggregate

UEFA Europa League - Attendance - 51,893

We had a scare in this match as Bordeaux were able to come back from the two goal deficit they had from the first leg. Thankfully, a great substitution in Campbell gave us the goal we needed to win the two matches. Wish we could have won the game as well, but as our only loss in the month, I can't feel too bad.

UEFA Europa League

eurl.png

We've drawn Celta in the Second Knockout Round, which works in our favour. Celta is having a horrible season, actually in the relegation zone in La Liga.

The Standings

standk.png

We have been able to gain a few spots in the table and into a real league title race. We sit two points behind the leaders and our main rivals, Feyenoord. All the main clubs that you would expect to be at the top are there. It'll be a fight right to the end of the season, but I am happy in that the club has responded quickly to me.

A great read! Well done so far, I find with the MLS once you get it right it is easy to become dominant, shame you couldn't pick up the CL. I think Ajax won't be much of a test and can see you lasting 2 season maximum, with a title and a couple of trophies in the bag.

Your league title shot looks pretty solid and that seems like a pretty watered down Europa field so plenty of potential to make a run there too.

There's a few stronger clubs in there, but I'm happy with our draw for the 2nd Knockout Round for sure.

League and Europa League looking good... great month too...
Creeping up on challenging for the title :thup:
Making it look very easy! Quite conceivable that you'll lift a trophy this season!
A nice little battle going on at the top of the league.

Thanks all. My time in the Netherlands has been very good so far. This was a good squad already and not too far behind. I also took over a club where the former manager was not sacked; he resigned for a bigger job. He was doing alright already.

A great read! Well done so far, I find with the MLS once you get it right it is easy to become dominant, shame you couldn't pick up the CL. I think Ajax won't be much of a test and can see you lasting 2 season maximum, with a title and a couple of trophies in the bag.

MLS was easy to dominate...although Vancouver looks to be losing key players in a fire sale!

Keep it up
Good luck for the rest of the season,looks like it's going to be a very close finish!

Thanks guys. It'll definitely be a photo finish!

Great spell at Vancouver and you're already pulling Ajax back toward the top :thup:

Ajax has been good to me already. I'm hoping for at least some silverware :)

Looks like an exciting climax to the season.

That'll definitely be the case, I think.

2019 Youth Candidates

AFC Ajax - Eredivisie

Youth Candidates

ythq.png

A bit of a varied intake. Unfortunately, I had my Head of Youth Development in charge of youth contracts and he gave one to everyone. He's now lost that responsibility. Reason? Sheer stupidity.

Nick Molenaar - DM - Molenaar is rated as the best of the intake. He has decent initial stats, but will need a lot of work to evolve into a quality player.

March 2019 Update

AFC Ajax - Eredivisie

The Matches

fixyo.png

3 March 2019 - NAC Breda - Away - 3-0 Win

Eredivisie - Attendance - 18,195

NAC Breda has struggled all season and are languishing in the bottom. We grabbed 3 needed points in a match we were fully expected to win.

6 March 2019 - MVV Maastricht - Away - 2-1 Win

Eredivisie - Attendance - 8,504

Another match that we were fully expected to win. MVV grabbed a last goal against and made a strong push, but were unable to crack our defense after that one mistake.

9 March 2019 - SBV Excelsior - Home - 5-0 Win

Eredivisie - Attendance - 50,592

We used this as a sort of a warm up match for the upcoming 2nd Knockout Round in the Europa League. Seemed to do the trick.

14 March 2019 - R.C. Celta SAD - Home - 6-1 Win

UEFA Europa League - Attendance - 51,384

The first match of this leg was playing at home and we gave out fans a show! I'm not worried at all going to Portugal and will probably give a few fringe players a start.

17 March 2019 - AZ Alkmaar - Home - 2-0 Win

We started and ended the match great. The middle...a little boring.

21 March 2019 - R.C. Celta SAD - Away - 2-2 Tie

AFC Ajax win on aggregate 8-3

UEFA Europa League - Attendance - 26,466

Well, I gave a few players a start, including my back up goalkeeper who has been complaining for a bigger role. All he did was remind me why he's on his way out. Still, we win the aggregate and move on.

UEFA Europa League

eury.png

We've drawn Romanian club, Steaua, in the quarter final. They're having a solid season in the Liga I, currently in 2nd place. I still rate us as a better club and should be fine. Definitely an easier draw for us.

The Standings

standk.png

We have taken the top spot in the league, thanks to out superior goal difference. With only 4 matches left in the league, every win, every point, is necessary. I think we have the squad that can win right until the end; however, being in the league, the KNVB Beker, and the Europa League will be trying on the boys.

Nice intake and what a turn around in the league. The Modified version of the 4-4-2 , one of the wingers is in and AML/AMR and of the CM is in a DM slot ?

I also found that I was getting killed defensively, so both CMs are playing as DMs. Other than that, all is the same. That and all players are rare long shots. Wingers are in M R/L positions in order to help link play from DMs to the attack.

So you basically just change to your 2 CM's to DM's with to ML n MR similar to how Man City plays.

I'm unable to answer as I have no frame of reference as to how Man City plays. Simply think of a flat 4-4-2. Then move the CMs to DMs. Then lower long shots.

Remaining 4 fixtures against who? Have you got the easiest run in? (I know no games are easy :)). How forgiving do you think the board will be should the unthinkable happen and you surrender the title?

Remaining 4 fixtures against who? Have you got the easiest run in? (I know no games are easy :)). How forgiving do you think the board will be should the unthinkable happen and you surrender the title?

I never worry about what other clubs have to do, just my own :) They already have their own managers. The Board has only asking for me to qualify for the Europa League, so while the title would be nice, they won't be too upset.

1 April 2019

Telegraaflogo.png

300 Matches for Cerud in KNVB Beker Semi Final

Today's semi final against PSV will mark Ajax manager Cerud's 300th match in football. Cerud's career has taken him to five clubs and countries. He has been able to realize success on most stages, winning four league titles and four cup competitions. He is hoping to add to those tallies as Ajax leads the Eredivisie.

300fr.png

28 April 2019

Telegraaflogo.png

Ajax Hoist KNVB Beker

In a strong second half, Ajax scored three goals to take their 19th KNVB Beker. This is the most times any Dutch club has won the domestic trophy. After the match, Cerud spoke to media.

"I'm elated that we have been able to bring this cup home for the fans. It's been a trying month, but this should show the critics that we are progressing in the right direction."

knvb.png

April-May 2019 Update

AFC Ajax - Eredivisie

The Matches

fixxb.png

2 April 2019 - PSV - Away - 2-0 Win

KNVB Beker - Attendance - 54,567

This was my 300th match in football and one that I wanted to win because: 1) we were playing a rival, and 2) it was an important cup game. We started slow, but a first half goal helped us along. A penalty in the second half secured the win.

6 April 2019 - NEC Nijmegen - Away - 0-0 Draw

Eredivisie - Attendance - 12,500

A frustrating match. This is the worst team in the league and we couldn't get anything going. We seemed like we wanted to pass the ball to the opposition rather than our own players. Horrible match.

11 April 2019 - FC Steaua Bucharest - Home - 2-2 Tie

UEFA Europa League - Attendance - 52,960

Just cruel. We dominated the match, throwing everything at them. At the end, when we thought we had the win, they scored in the 92nd minute.

14 April 2019 - Vitesse - Home - 2-2 Tie

Eredivisie - Attendance - 51,975

I can't explain how horrible we have been in the past few matches. Was there an update I'm unaware of? Both goals against us involved my goalkeeper passing the ball directly to an opposing striker and them scoring. Is my goalkeeper trying to rack up his assist tally?

18 April 2019 - FC Steaua Bucharest - Away - 2-3 Loss

Steaua win on aggregate 5-4

UEFA Europa League - Attendance - 55,200

Seriously?!?! Three unanswered goals against us in the first half. This is just getting stupid now. I laid it on them in the dressing room at the half, short of lighting the damn place on fire to express my rage. They came on in the second half, clawing back a couple goals, but it wasn't enough. Didn't help that we hit four goal posts in the game too. So with that, we are out of the Europa League. Guess we have to try next year.

21 April 2019 - ADO Den Haag - Away - 0-0 Draw

Eredivisie - Attendance - 15,000

I actually had to laugh out loud in this one. The cruelty of football has been alive and well during this month. We have now dropped to 2nd place because of this charade.

28 April 2019 - FC Twente - Neutral - 3-0 Win

KNVB Beker - Attendance - 51,137

I implored the boys to rethink what they wanted out of this season. Did we want to be the club that choked in everything, or did we want to salvage something from this season? The first half was nervy, but it opened up in the second. A much better performance and one from what I remember we're capable of. The KNVB Beker is ours!

5 May 2019 - Roda JC Kerkrade - Home - 2-0 Win

Eredivisie - Attendance - 51,028

We were going to need some help in order to win the title. We did our part with the win. Unfortunately, Heracles didn't do theirs. Feyenoord beat them 7-1.

The Standings

standyr.png

And so the season ends with us finishing in 2nd place. It's a Champions League spot, which is nice, but the title could have easily been ours if we didn't throw it away.

A full season update will follow.

Other News

My Board agreed to increase junior coach funding, which is always nice.

junv.png

Football, a la the Dutch teams of the 1970s

Ahh. Not too sure as I wasn't born then. It's also not a term used much in North America that I can think of.

Finally caught up. :)

Tough luck in the league. Seems like you hit a run like I had - no luck at all unless it's bad.

Still, congrats on the pot you did win!

Finally caught up. :)

Tough luck in the league. Seems like you hit a run like I had - no luck at all unless it's bad.

Still, congrats on the pot you did win!

Yeah, it was a run that all you can do is shake your head at. Came at the most inopportune time too. The KNVB Beker is still nice to win, so as least there was something, you're right :thup:

Did well bro, your season ended as well as my GF... 2nd place with Ajax. Next season I imagine its yours...

Here's hoping for a good next season. Having the entire season will be nice to show what we can do.

2018-2019 Season in Review

AFC Ajax - Eredivisie

2nd Place

Qualified for UEFA Champions League Best Place 3rd Qualifying Phase

The League

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - I can't be too angry with how the league turned out. I took over the reins with Ajax in December and didn't lose a match in league play. While our three ties in a row at the end of the season did hurt our chances, it does show that we are a club that can compete at a high level. I think having a full season will help for next time.

The Cups

KNBV Beker - We did at least pick up some silverware this season. The domestic cup was added to our shelf as we added to our national leading tally of this competition.

KNVB_Cup.png

UEFA Champions League - The club was already eliminated from the CL before I joined up. They didn't have the best of years in this competition.

UEFA Europa League - We draw the easiest club of the quarter final and can't get past them. We should have at least made the semi finals, but we stopped playing.

The Stats

Goals Scored: 68 (5th in league)

Goals Conceded: 27 (1st in league)

Average Attendance: 50,332 (2nd in league)

The Players

Squad | Transfers - Definitely a lot more out than in; however, I have a few transfers that will kick in during the summer. They have already been agreed to and will help the club.

The Standout Players

Rick Neeskens - D C - Our standout player in defense. He's young and a club trained boy at that, which will help in the future.

Kermit Erasmus - AM C, ST - Erasmus was not doing much when I came along. I played him in a match when other striking options were injured and he basically remained on the first squad. Definitely proved why he's here.

Tomás Oyarzún - AM R, ST - Our top goalscorer. He was good before, but he really came to life under me, making the top league scoring chart.

The Backroom

Finances - Money is looking good!

Facilities - I'd love to build a new stadium as we do play to capacity or near it every match. The Board doesn't see the upside. Unfortunately, they hold all the cards in this fight.

The Awards

Eredivisie Keeper van het jaar (Goalkeeper of the Year) - Kenneth Vermeer - 2nd Place

Fans' Player of the Year - TBD

Plans for Next Season

There are a few areas in the squad I want to add to but the main overhaul will be within the staff. They need a lot of work and I'm going to go out and hire the best I can. This is a club that prides itself on youth development and I want to honour that tradition. Additionally, I want to make a real push for the league title. I know that the Champions League may be a bit of a stretch right now, but I'm curious to see how we will do too.

Ahh. Not too sure as I wasn't born then. It's also not a term used much in North America that I can think of.

Wow...you're not familiar with the Total football of the Dutch masters? You really should look it up. Amazing stuff not too dissimilar from the way Barca play now days. Cruyff amongst others instrumented everything from back to front.

As for the league, tough to lose the title by a point but if the board are happy, that's all that matters...you still have a job :).

What an end to the season

It was a bit of a heartbreak.

Wow...you're not familiar with the Total football of the Dutch masters? You really should look it up. Amazing stuff not too dissimilar from the way Barca play now days. Cruyff amongst others instrumented everything from back to front.

As for the league, tough to lose the title by a point but if the board are happy, that's all that matters...you still have a job :).

I know nothing about Dutch football. I follow my local club and the English league because that's what I get on TV here. I don't know much of the history, but sounds good.

I do still have a job! So onto next year.

Tough break with missing out on the title but congrats on winning some silverware this season.Hopefully you can find the right players to help you take first place.

Every move you make is so random. :D Canada to Ajax. :D Did very well to come so close to the title even if you just missed out, after being given a dismal starting point at the time you arrived. Decent go in Europe too, and congrats on the cup.

Tough break with missing out on the title but congrats on winning some silverware this season.Hopefully you can find the right players to help you take first place.

The silverware was nice, but I'm going to be pushing for the league this year.

Every move you make is so random. :D Canada to Ajax. :D Did very well to come so close to the title even if you just missed out, after being given a dismal starting point at the time you arrived. Decent go in Europe too, and congrats on the cup.

I'm a troubadour :D The Europa League as decent. Interestingly, Steaua ended up going on to win the Europa League against Shakhtar in the final!

Archived