The process of signing a player

Morning,

Just had a quick thought, does anyone else believe signing players on FM is a little bit rushed? If you look at real life now, clubs will negotiate a fee with the selling club (this is fine in FM) however, they will then meet x players agent maybe 2/3 times, no doubt discuss ambitions and what role x player will play, then discuss wages, then the player will have a medical etc before the big press conference.

Do you not think FM could introduce somewhere, similar to the press conference format, whereby you discuss the transfer move with the player/agent. You could ask them some questions and they could ask you some. This would surely help if a good player is available but lets say he wants to play CL football and you finished 6th last year, you could use the chat option to tell him you will challenge for the top 4 next season or whatever.

Also, medicals...one of the biggest parts of signing a player and it doesn't even get a mention. We should have 3 options I think, 1, Don't send for medical 2,basic medical and 3, Thorough medical. That way if your scout report says he may have injury problems you can get your doctors double checking everything. I suppose this could link in with how good your medical staff's stats are etc. On the other hand if it is deadline day you might just take a punt and leave the medical like a lot of clubs do on deadline day these days.

Thoughts?

I like the medical idea, IMO it would also need some better persistent injury problem code but in principle it would be a good direction for SI to go in.

I like the medical idea, IMO it would also need some better persistent injury problem code but in principle it would be a good direction for SI to go in.

There actually is a medical before a transfer takes place, you just don't get notified of this unless the player fails it.

There actually is a medical before a transfer takes place, you just don't get notified of this unless the player fails it.

There is, but players don't ever fail it on the basis of being injury prone or having long term background injuries as far as I am aware.

Only a red INJ of any type, as long as with more than X months remaining, will cause the medical to be failed.

I don't know what X is, but I think it is about two.

I definitely once tried to sign a player who then failed a medical, and had roughly two months to go on his injury. I just tried to sign him again 2 weeks later when he had 1 month or 6 weeks or something left and it worked.

That's more or less how the current system works, afaik it's a straight forward calculation of injury severity & time left until full recovery.

I could have a deal in place to sign a player who has suffered half a dozen hamstring injuries over the last 2 years but unless he is currently injured the deal will go ahead, on the flip side a player with an otherwise spotless injury record will fail a medical if he has a broken arm, makes no sense.

Maybe it is the injury side of things that needs more work then. Just a quick 1 line message saying the player has passed a medical is fine, but it would be nice to get a bit more of an indepth medical report on your place before you sign them. Maybe even going as far as 'he is slightly overweight' and then you could put him on fitness training for a few weeks.

Archived