[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 16]fw.gif[/TD]

[TD]8GB DDR3 memory[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 16]fw.gif[/TD]

[TD]1TB hard drive + 16GB solid state drive

My question is how do i best utilize the SSD.

Do i save the whole game (FM13//14) on the SSD? Do i just save the Saved Games folder on the SSD?

Just want to have the fastest and funnest FM experience when i finally get my hands on my laptop next week.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Many posters before have indicated that the SSD will help with loading and saving times but that other speed improvements are depedant more on the processor and RAM. I suspect that that machine will be pretty fast anyway, so you may only notice the improvement in loading and saving. Other posters will advise better I am sure.

Many posters before have indicated that the SSD will help with loading and saving times but that other speed improvements are depedant more on the processor and RAM. I suspect that that machine will be pretty fast anyway, so you may only notice the improvement in loading and saving. Other posters will advise better I am sure.

I assume your OS is on your HDD, such a small SSD is only really good for dropping a flight sim on. I would suggest investing in a 60 or 80GB one for your OS and minimal programs. Put everything else on the HDD.

What is currently on the 16GB SSD?

More generally, when talking about a larger SSD with the OS on I would advise against having both FM and the root file where games are saved on an SSD due to wear issues and the fact SSDs don't help games like FM. Any benefits are far outweighed by the wear problems.

Here is my advice from other threads:

Ive been using SSDs since 2008 and I would advise against this. I would put everything bar the operating system and any programs that HAVE to go on the same drive as the OS on the SSD. Everything else should go on the HDD including your "My Documents", "My Music", "My Downloads" etc. FM saves can get pretty big and you DO NOT WANT that level of wear on an SSD.

Also turn off hibernation and system recovery, if you do not the above and a few other good practice procedures you will wear out and ruin your expensive SSD, I have killed two because I did not care fore them, don't make the same mistakes!

When installing ANY program make sure you set its install location from C: to the drive for your HDD. Firsly you will save space on your SSD and secondly you will wear the SSD less.

The ONLY programs on my SSD apart from the OS and the mandatory OS drive programs are flight sims and large sandbox games that need the speed to load objects & world from the drives. Every other game (using steams new feature for installing over multiple drives) is on the HDD. Also DON'T install Steam on the SSD as some games HAVE to be on the same drive as Steam and doing so would waste space on the SSD.

Pretty much do everything you can to keep your SSD in good working order and it will reward you handsomly, don't and it will become slow and eventually die. I speak from experience and from the experience of others who have said this all before to me and I did not listen!

Moving your user folders (my docs, my pics, my music) to the HDD is a very good way to save space, it should be done for ALL users. You could leave FM on your SSD if you have issues with your HDD but from personal experience it has no benefit.

If everything is on the SSD you save a little in load time but all the save game files puts excessive wear on the SSD, things it does not need.

PS if you are new to SSDs make sure you look up a guide to optimise them, run some benchmarks and see what you get speed wise (just not too often, again excessive wear). There are many, just google SSD and settings, optimisation, etc.

My organisation is pretty simple:

128GB SSD- OS, Programs you cannot change the install location for, Flight Sim 1, Sandbox Steam games.

80GB SSD- Sandbox steam games, Flight Sim 2

500GB HDD- All my other steam games and programs you can change the install location during install, User Files (my docs etc)

NAS- Pics, videos, music, public docs and a backup.

These are my fastest SSD scores from Crystal Disk Mark, I am on an OLD motherboard, pretty ancient in fact but my speeds are comparable to similar systems, modern systems should easily beat mine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.2 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
                          Crystal Dew World : [url]http://crystalmark.info/[/url]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [sATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read :   177.438 MB/s
         Sequential Write :   120.269 MB/s
        Random Read 512KB :   157.824 MB/s
       Random Write 512KB :   121.584 MB/s
   Random Read 4KB (QD=1) :    27.293 MB/s [  6663.3 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KB (QD=1) :    78.918 MB/s [ 19267.2 IOPS]
  Random Read 4KB (QD=32) :   177.950 MB/s [ 43444.8 IOPS]
 Random Write 4KB (QD=32) :    95.419 MB/s [ 23295.7 IOPS]

Test : 50 MB [C: 26.0% (29.1/111.8 GB)] (x3)
 Date : 2013/06/02 10:30:15
   OS : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x64)

The os is about 20.1 GB so don't lisen to theses fly by nights . they don't have a clue what there talking about . your ssd drive is only 16gb . which is far too small for your os at lease . I am really not sure why any-one would buy such a small ssd drive .it really is no good for nothing .

as for buying one for football manager .. you really are wasteing your money ... you will not inprove anything by much .. not the game speed that's for sure ..

as for buying more ram. again it will be a waste off money if it is to try and speed up FM .. football manager runs at 32bit . therefore the most ram it can take is about 3gig ..

there really isn't much you can do to speed the game .. iv got a top of the range i7 and the game still lags at times. the real trurth behind it is that the game is so poorly made IE coded that it is almost laugherble

Thanks Nine-Iron, that kind of made sense.

I am guessing that it will have the OS on the SSD.

But it is in america,where i am in asia right now. So won't be able to tell until next week :)

May be asking a bit of help later.

Just out of interest will be playing this steam library.

Total wars (Including Rome 2 when it comes out)

FM13/14

Telltale games (Walking dead, Back to future etc)

Metro 2033 (And possibly the sequel last light)

Stalker

Dead space 1/2/3 (Possibly not 3)

Alan wake (and american nightmare)

Maybe a couple of others like CIV etc.

Should any of those go on the SSD?

Or really only heavy processing games?

I am guessing that it will have the OS on the SSD.

Which OS is it? I doubt any windows will fit on a 16GB, are you sure its that small? If the laptop is windows 8 then it doesnt matter anyway.

Should any of those go on the SSD?

Or really only heavy processing games?

Not processor heavy games, thats a calculation thing and the clock speed of your CPU would determine the performanc of those. Things that need to go on an SSD are things you need to load fast and generally things that you are not writing big files constantly to (ie save games to my documents folders)

I only ever put big sandbox games on SSDs like flight simulators, GTA series etc. If something is linear then it doesnt need it, if you have a huge map map to explore and you are moving around pretty fast (driving, flying etc) then it would benefit from the SSD. Mostly as map load times are reduced along with other things.

Which OS is it? I doubt any windows will fit on a 16GB, are you sure its that small? If the laptop is windows 8 then it doesnt matter anyway.

Not processor heavy games, thats a calculation thing and the clock speed of your CPU would determine the performanc of those. Things that need to go on an SSD are things you need to load fast and generally things that you are not writing big files constantly to (ie save games to my documents folders)

I only ever put big sandbox games on SSDs like flight simulators, GTA series etc. If something is linear then it doesnt need it, if you have a huge map map to explore and you are moving around pretty fast (driving, flying etc) then it would benefit from the SSD. Mostly as map load times are reduced along with other things.

It is windows 8 (Which i hope will have no glitchs with my games)

PS: Arma2 (I haven't played yet) but sounds like big map.....either way i may be getting saints row 3 on steam sale, so that would go on the ssd for starts.

16 GB? My guess is you don't have a SSD at all, but a "hybrid" HDD. In that case, you can't install anything in the "SSD" part at all. It's merely a cache to help make start-up of OS and most used programs faster.

I can't remember SSD's as small as 16GB being on the market at all, not even in the very early days. But I could remember wrongly.

Archived