passing style and tempo

So looking at the tips file it says "Passing style and tempo are linked. A short passing game works best with a slower tempo, whilst a direct, counter attacking style needs to be swift and quick."

But is that always the case? The way I see it there are four options

short pass with slow tempo

short pass with fast tempo

direct pass with slow tempo

direct pass with fast tempo

Anyone able to explain when best to use each one.

So looking at the tips file it says "Passing style and tempo are linked. A short passing game works best with a slower tempo, whilst a direct, counter attacking style needs to be swift and quick."

But is that always the case? The way I see it there are four options

short pass with slow tempo

short pass with fast tempo

direct pass with slow tempo

direct pass with fast tempo

Anyone able to explain when best to use each one.

Im no expert but i would imagine that:

Short passing and quick tempo: A very intense game to play, your players will tire quicker, may lose possesion more by trying to play short passes very quickly, your players will probably end up losing passing options and misplace a pass or try to dribble on their own. IF you were to play short passing fast tempo i would use players with very high stamina and would try this with "more roaming" so players will come to the ball rather than stick to their position. For your short passing high tempo game you are going to need constant passing options so you will need to pick a good formation for it.

Short passing slow tempo: I imagine the barcelona style of play. Players with good passing, technique, teamwork, off the ball and anticipation i guess. Very slow build up play trying to drag defenders out of position by tika taka play around the box.

Direct passing Fast tempo: Your basic counter attacking tactic, collect the ball from deep and get it to your wingers/striker as fast as possible.

Direct passing Slow tempo: I would imagine you would use this to frustrate your opponent, this might be possesion football. I would probably use this setting to play out of defence and build your attack from a ball playing defender. Look to hold possesion while sticking to position, frustrate the opponent into making bad tackles/bad decisions. Perhaps tire your opponent with their constant closing down? Look tomethodically break down the defence.

None of this is fact, its just what my own interpretation is.

Actually, I think you'll find that many standard tactics have normal passing, and medium tempo ;)

The tip correlates long-passing with "trying to get the ball to the opponents goal as fast as possible," therefore they suggest you do it quickly. You see this most often, not in counter-attacking tactics, but in very aggressive tactics.

Archived