The Npower Leagues thread - sponsored by British Gas.

Plainlayzee

Hoarau, excellent stuff.

It's good to read your philosophies and the reasons behind your signings. I see the edited database puts all the promoted/relegated sides in the new leagues too, so it's probably a harder task to gain promotion. Are the board expecting it, having given you £3m before you converted to wages, or are they going to accept a season of re-structuring like you suggested?

A pretty good start there anyway. Leon Clarke was my top scorer in season 1 too, so he's a decent player at that level. Any of the other 'originals' featuring regularly, or impressing/disappointing you? I hope you are enjoying it so far - and good luck as you progress.

I've taken a short trip to the MLS whilst I decide who to go with from the FL in these next few days and weeks. I usually do something different to re-energise ahead of a new FL project, but will be in here to observe and comment regularly.

Finally, as mentioned before, I am in awe of the graphics and effort you put in to visuals. I really do need to 'learn' that for FM14.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers lads, that was actually a very rushed put together update. Should do a more thorough one when I get to the January window.

Jogo - There's a few of the original squad that are regularly featuring. Fleck, Webster, Thomas, McSheffrey, Murphy and a couple more have given good showings of themselves so it's good to have some continuity. I really am, I think a FL save will be my main save for '14.

Gunner - Diop is actually still pretty solid and adds a real bit of grit to our side. Bouazza is a player I've had in previous versions and while not top shelf his pace and dribbling/skill is a step above most defenders in this division. As I mentioned these guys in all likelihood won't be here next season but there qualities are valuable when we're building back up.

I've actually just agree some what of a coup bringing in former Wolves from man Sylvian Ebanks-Blake on a free transfer to boost our front line and maybe take some of the pressure off of Clarke.

SEB should be a real coup, I hope that works out for you. Bouazza is a name I haven't seen mentioned for a long time, either here or in reality. A good 'unattached' player for L1/L2 teams but I do agree with what Gunner said - he seemed to have unfulfilled potential IRL.

I kind of forgot about Murphy, I did use him for a season before I progressed too (just wanted somebody younger). If the attributes are the same as the last official database, Christie, Thomas, Daniels and Jordan Clarke should all be excellent at L1 level, they've been regulars for me in all six seasons, including 2 in the PL and one in Europe.

Good to hear you're enjoying it, and I'm sure your efforts will help attract others here in FM14.

If anything Jogo the attributes might have been decreased.. Ha!

Yeah the goalkeeper is a really concern, I've brought in Jak Alwinck from Newcastle for the season and on the current form of Murphy young Jak may have to step in. It's an area I think I need to spend some time analysing..

I hope this thread gets going for FM14 as I'd like to be a part of it, it's a very vibrant different feeling thread, less gloating more conversation.

Haha, you may be right about those stats. Or these players may just not be that good and your standards are higher than mine!

I'm fairly sure that an FM14 'SkyBet' thread will be active. It's where I am likely to spend most of my management days anyway, and hopefully others who play in the FL will be encouraged to join in. I find it a motivation to play when you can talk about your team and share banter with others. If, for example, I had created a Coventry guide and thread, I'm pretty sure I would have been talking to myself. Instead of doing that, Plainlayzee's idea brought a few more people together. The individual club guides are really great, of course, so hopefully it won't deter anyone doing them for FL clubs.

SEB should score a lot in this league. Brilliant signing.

I played some last night and I am coming up to the end of June and so will update tonight around 7 I'd imagine once I'm home from work. We've made 2 signings so far, both loans but I'll let you know who they're later on.

One bit of information I will share is that my board gave me the massive transfer budget of.. £0. And a wage budget of £49k per week to avoid relegation in the Championship. Ouch. :(

That's precisely it, there are the usual team threads from the larger or popular teams that get pages and pages of people posting in where as smaller or more unfashionable sides tend to struggle getting past a single page. Having a thread with a decent amounts of regular posters to share similar yet differing saves is ideal and makes for quite and engaging read.

On that note I forgot to mention that while the standard of the squad isn't greatest there are a few bodies that I'm quite happy with who will stick around to try and develop them, there is a young LB & RB who's names escape me at the moment but they both look possibly good enough for a run in the championship.

The stand out is Conor Thomas, a young CM who looks very handy. How did he fair for you?

Hoarau: Yep, agreed. There was a thread for playing at clubs with no guide, but this one seems to have worked well.

Conor Thomas was superb for me, in six seasons he made 176 league appearances at a rating of 7.08 and is valued at £5m.

The RB/LB you refer to is probably Jordan Clarke (actually converted to a central defender IRL this season from what I hear). He made 222 league appearances for me in the same period, at a rating of 7.08 and is valued at £3.7m.

Cyrus Christie made 211 league appearances for me (only six first season due to an injury), with a rating of 7.09 and is valued at £3.5m.

Gunner: Only two signings, that's very loyal of you. Shocking board assistance there, hopefully you can fight against the odds and build the club up further. You might be able to entice Obita back now, if you need him.

Only two signings so far* We've not reached July yet and I normally only manage to sign one or two before then normally anyway. Think last season we only had 14 players on the 1st July..

I believe Obita is with Burnley on loan. I did have a look but he's going to be unavailable. Will look to see if I can keep hold off Doherty, Hensall and Petrucci, again, they may have to be loans as all three signed new contracts with their parent clubs!

It's unlucky with the board but Im just aiming to stay up this year, we do already have some talented players on the books but it's always nice to build on that in the summer. I'll keep searching anyway. So tonight you should have the May/June update and hopefully the end of pre-season update to read too!

Pre-Season Update 2014/2015 Part One

30th May 2014

5 Oldham players receive international call ups. Anto Breen (Ireland Under 21's), Jordan Archer (Scotland Under 21's), Aziz Deen-Conteh (Sierra Leone), Lauri Dalla Valle (Finland) and Jake Gray (Wales).

1st June 2014

The board set the initial transfer and wage budgets for my first season in the Championship. I was advised that we would have £0 to spend and a wage budget of £49k per week, an increase of £18k per week on last season.

2nd June 2014

Jean-Yves M'Voto was named League One Player of the Year. The centre back played 35 games and contributed 5 goals with an average rating of 7.79. M'Voto also found himself in the League One Team of the Year.

I collected the Manager of the Year award following the title success.

18th June 2014

The first summer signing was the season long loan deal for Rangers 24 year old centre back Ross Perry. I will contribute 50% of his wage. (£750p/w)

25th June 2014

M'Voto continued his award success by picking up the Oldham Fans Player of the Year award.

The new seasons fixtures were released. We kick off the season at home to Brighton, followed by a clash with Leicester City. We end the season at home to Barnsley.

The board set the target of avoid relegation. With zero transfer budget for the third successive year, I would be happy to just survive.

We was handed some good news as the board will now allow us to scout Europe which will hopefully see us find some more players.

We made our second summer signing in the form of Swansea's 25 year old right back Curtis Obeng. Curtis joins on a season long no contribution loan deal.

30th June 2014

The time came for Davide Petrucci, Alex Henshall and Matt Doherty to return to their parent clubs. At first glances I believe we may be able to re-sign Petrucci and Doherty, and I will see if we can.

The club offered me a new three year contract which I accepted. I previously had 12 months remaining on the old deal.

Danny Murphy's contracted ended and the player didn't show any sign of wanting to stay and so left the club.

Nice write-up Gunner, good content and style.

Ross Perry did OK when I managed him at Rangers on the first patch, hopefully him and Obeng can offer something at your level. I assume Doherty was very good on loan last year? Congratulations on your manager award and M'Voto seems to be your rock. Ironic that Murphy announced his real life retirement today too.

Good luck with the rest of your pre-season and the test that lies ahead.

Obeng may soon be second choice if I land my other right back target.. I tried to re-sign Doherty and Petrucci but couldn't get either back. Doherty was very good but shown no interest in rejoining. Petrucci decided to join Blackpool in the league below.

Great read Gunner, well done on the awards. Your board are really making you work for you job eh?

Perry is a great player for that level, despite his real life deficiencies in game he's a solid lower league CB. I currently have another young former Rangers player in my team, John Fleck who since my update has scored 4 outstanding free kicks and provided a handful of assists. Perhaps one to check on if you require a creative spark.

Good luck in the season ahead.

Cheers Hoarau! They certainly are! The financial restraints are really going to test us! But I'm hopeful we can avoid relegation. I'm currently looking for just two more positions to fill, an attacking left winger and a central midfielder, although I have no wages spare and so I can only sign players who can come in on non-contribution loans (like Obeng).

I've made three more signings since I last updated, another right back, a right winger and an attacking midfielder, all have played at Championship level before but I'll make you wait for the names till I next update! All three were free transfers but I feel they all improve the standard of my squad.

Pre Season Update 2014/2015 Part Two

15th July 2014

The third summer signing was that of 30 year old attacking midfielder Darren Ambrose following his release from Birmingham City. Brought in as competition for Jose Baxter, his versatility will help us out in central midfield and the right wing.

22nd July 2014

The fourth summer signing and second right back arrival was 22 year old right back Kieron Freeman on a free transfer following his release from Derby County.

The same day we also completed another free transfer capture in the form of Steve De Ridder, formerly of Southampton. The 27 year old Belgian will play up the right wing.

Friendlies

Hednesford 1-4 Oldham

Gray, Montano, Furman, Bryne

Lincoln 1-0 Oldham

Forest Green 1-0 Oldham

Oldham 0-0 Man Utd Reserves

Oldham 0-2 Notts Co

So barring the first friendly it was pretty much a disaster in preparation for the season. We aim to avoid relegation and I think it's going to be a tough time making it happen. I am happy with the players recruited so far and I'm still hopeful we can get one or two more bodies in before the start, although this does look unlikely due to not having any budget in transfer funds or wages!

Wish me luck!

Things can only get better Gunner. Nice to see some new names as your signings and good luck with the season ahead. What formation/approach are you going to take?

I am going to stick with the approach that's served me so well in the last two seasons and that is to try and play on the oppositions weaknesses. We use a number of formations aimed at tactically outwitting the opposition to win games.

August Update 2014/2015

6th August 2014

The international call ups saw just the one Oldham player selected with Anto Breen chosen to represent Ireland Under 19's. Rumours suggest Dalla Valle is being rested by Finland.

7th August 2014

Aziz Deen-Conteh also received the call to represent his country, Sierra Leone.

17th August 2014

The clubs season ticket sales were announced and the promotion seemed to have a positive impact on the amount sold. This years figures sit at 4,636 compared to 2,752 last season.

25th August 2014

Following his superb start to life in the Championship, central defender Jean-Yves M'Voto penned a new 4 year deal at the club, citing his love for the club being the main reason.

29th August 2014

It was International call up time again and 5 of the squad were selected to represent their countries. Anto Breen (Ireland Under 19's), Jordan Archer (Scotland Under 21's), Kieron Freeman (Wales Under 21's), Lauri Dalla Valle (Finland) and Jake Gray (Wales).

30th August 2014

Aziz Deen-Conteh also received the call to represent Sierra Leone, taking the tally to 6 Oldham players playing international football.

Championship

Oldham 1-2 Brighton

Dalla Valle

Things got off to the perfect start when De Ridder lifted a ball over the top for Dalla Valle to calmly loft over Brighton's on rushing goalkeeper. The second half was different though and the extra class shined through and saw us lose our first game at the higher level. Grounds picked up a knock and faces 10 days out.

Leicester 2-2 Oldham

De Ridder, M'Voto

We took a lead inside 2 minutes as Dalla Valle squared for De Ridder to open his account for the club. 16 minutes later we doubled the lead, M'Voto heading home from a corner. The second half proved our downfall once again though, conceding two goals and having to settle for a point. We suffered yet another injury blow with the news that De Ridder would face 5 weeks out with a twisted ankle.

Oldham 3-1 Middlesbrough

Gray (3)

Jake Gray stole the show with a magnificent display of finishing. We took the lead after some neat play between Dalla Valle and Gray. Although again we was pegged back as Boro equalised. We went again though and Gray scored two in 5 minutes to seal the points for our first victory in the Championship.

Derby 0-1 Oldham

Dalla Valle

A fighting display in the second half saw us hold onto the lead that we deserved from the first as we won the ball in midfield, Croft ran by 2 Derby defenders to slot through for Dalla Valle to bend it round the keeper. We did however suffer another injury blow, Darren Ambrose facing 5 weeks out with a twisted ankle.

West Ham 2-2 Oldham

Dalla Valle, Gray

The last game of the month saw us up against Championship leaders West Ham. Dalla Valle opened the scoring, smashing home following a swift break. We then scored again, a long ball by Bouzanis was flicked on by Croft, Gray latched onto it and put it across the keeper to score. But once again we failed to hold the lead and in the 86th minute West Ham levelled. Again we fell foul to an injury, with Wesolowski out for 6 days.

Capital One Cup

Oldham 1-0 Bradford (First Round)

Perry

Ross Perry collected his first Oldham goal, heading home Obeng's long throw on the 72nd minute. Tarkowski was took off injured and now misses 7 weeks with a sprained ankle.

Oldham 1-2 Middlesbrough (Second Round)

Gray

We took the lead in this tie with Jake Gray scoring his fourth goal against Boro in 2 meetings. Boro fought back though and 2 goals in 8 second half minutes saw us eliminated from the Capital One Cup. We did however reach the boards expectations of getting to the Second Round.

————————————————————————————————

So a disappointing start was soon turned around following so e impressive results. Arguably the games against Leicester and West Ham should have gave us 4 more points but I'm still happy with what we have in the first 5 games following our promotion, especially given the lack of funding supplied by the board. Interestingly we have took the lead in all our Championship matches so far which isn't a bad record to have. We sit inside the playoffs in 6th place with 8 points having won 2, drew 2 and lost 1 with a goal difference of +2.

The Capital One Cup is over for another season but we reached expectations having overcome a tricky First Round tie. The sole aim is to survive in the league this season as we desperately need the extra funding that being a Championship team brings.

Nice update Gunner, and a very promising start there. You can take a lot of pride from seeing your youngsters and freebies gelling and fighting to establish your club despite having no money at all. Hopefully after the start you made, it will enable you to build up enough early points to survive or even chase a top half finish. Due to your squad limitations it's probably a blessing to be out of the COC to be honest.

I'm watching the Coventry game and must confess they're very impressive. I can't wait to have a bash in FM14 with the weakened squad and 10 point deduction!

Thanks Jogo! :)

Yeah I just seen they're winning, but I guess anyone could beat Sheffield United at the minute. Definitely a wrong choice by Jose Baxter to move there! Coventry should present a very good challenge again next season, although they're not a club that really attract me for one reason or another.

Great update Gunner, some tidy results against teams a lot stronger, espically the away win over Derby.

So do you guys think Coventry would be the most difficult challenge in the lower leagues? I'm unsure weither to start as them in '14 or look at someone different.

It could well be the most difficult challenge, depending on how their real life situation is replicated in game. I am fairly sure it's the only FL72 club with a points deduction this year, and their squad is amongst the smallest around (and very inexperienced). The transfer situation is 'one out, one in' under special agreements with the FL/FA and they won't be due to play at their own stadium for the next three years (not sure how the game will handle that). Portsmouth is the biggest FL challenge in FM13, and I think Coventry will take that crown in FM14.

Of course, there are some L2 teams where money is always tight, and these types of club will always be difficult to manage. Plus you have the 'teams too big for their league' options like Wolves/Sheff Utd in L1, and Portsmouth in L2. How are you getting on at Coventry so far, Hoarau?

Cheers Hoarau.

I'm not sure how much more progress I will get to make on this save unfortunately. With the release of 14 soon, I am on holiday Sunday to Saturday the Sunday coming up, so we will have to see how much I can squeeze in!

Guys,

Does anyone fancy setting up the thread for the FM14 forums? I have got quite a bit going on at the minute and I am unlikely to have my hands on the game any time soon. If one of you guys wants to take the thread over I have no problem with that, obviously I will be able to comment etc and eventually get some game time, but I don't want to just set up some half ars*d thread for us to all post in when you guys could come up with something much better!!

Idea for the title of the thread though, Either 'The SKYbet Leagues thread - sponsored by William Hill' (keeping in with the thread title from this year) or perhaps something along the lines of 'The SKYbet leagues thread - come in and take a gamble' (or something else gamble/betting related pun)

Cheers fellas, hope your all doing good.

If I didn't know you better, I'd say that was just plain lazy :lol:

If you won't be able to create it, I might be able to do something on the text/format side. My only real issue is that I will be back in East Africa from next week and the internet facilities there are shocking - I'm not quite sure how many days it may take to download and activate FM14. If Gunner or anybody also fancies it, then that's cool and I'm still happy to contribute in any way. I'm thinking Hoarau is the man for any graphics/logos/pictures.

As for the title, how about: "FL72 - The Sky Bet Football League thread, sponsored by Gamblers Anonymous"

Well I'm ashamed to say I've retired from FM '13 now I'm trying to get to grips with the BETA. I do however plan to spend a lot of the full release within the SKYbwt leagues and thread so if i can help with the new creation I'd be happy to.

No shame there Hoarau. I downloaded the BETA purely because I think it should make 'activation' of the new game easier to complete with my terrible African internet speed (as of next week). I haven't selected a team or anything yet, but will almost certainly start up in the FL soon.

I'm trying to get my FM13 facepack put in to FM14 before I go too, as I don't think I could go back to playing the game without one (and I'm not sure if the new FM14 packs will be available by Monday).

Some of the feedback threads I checked are indicating that agent fees are coming from transfer budget in FM14. If that's the case, and expecting that more than 50% of L1/L2 clubs probably don't have any budget, I think that 'free transfer' signings are going to be really difficult to complete. It could make loan signings much more frequent and necessary - if anyone has been there perhaps they can confirm?

I'm looking forward to the FM14 thread being created - hopefully with inclusion of transfer budget, wage budgets, media predictions etc - and to much more top banter amongst us. I saw the excellent RUFC thread created already, perhaps when one is made for any FL clubs, the OP can be asked if their 'guide' can also be linked/displayed in here too?

I think pretty much this a dead thread now. I go away on Sunday morning for a week so will end my FM career with achieving promotion with a cash strapped Oldham Athletic. I will be purchasing FM14 after my holidays and hope to see a thread in place and you guys to be there. It's been a pleasure!

I agree with Gunner, I think we are dead now lads. Anyway, someone sort the FM14 thread if they can, look forward to seeing you all in there.

What can I say, I started this as a hopeful put at getting a conversation with someone about my game since my love for FM was dwindling and I got you lot....what a disappointment!! (Kidding of course :p)

It's been a pleasure, see you on the other side!

If you guys want to lay out a brief outline of what yous would like then ill take the mantel and get it started...

The only favour I ask, due to work am the kids I don't have much time to gather together the data in terms of each clubs budget if we decided to include that. If someone could assist with this it'd be fantastic..

If we don't go with a run down of each club how about an brief overview of each league with the listings of who's expected to challenge and who's likely to go down?

If you guys want to lay out a brief outline of what yous would like then ill take the mantel and get it started...

The only favour I ask, due to work am the kids I don't have much time to gather together the data in terms of each clubs budget if we decided to include that. If someone could assist with this it'd be fantastic..

If we don't go with a run down of each club how about an brief overview of each league with the listings of who's expected to challenge and who's likely to go down?

Like the idea Hoarau, I agree maybe just a league by league briefing, maybe 2 or 3 paragraphs detailing who are the sleeping giants and the challenges etc. Could be a good plan.

Then we could, similar to how I started this one, simply link in the new Thread's as/when they are made for the FM14.

Well ill get started on something, may take me a few days due to limited time, and if anyone has anything they want to add they could send me it and I can add it to any posts I make(giving full bolded credit of course).

That's the plan then, ill do an opener kinda detailing what the purpose of the thread is and some general info then ill do a post per League detailing the title chasers, relegation battlers and mid table scrapers. How low do you want it to cover? League 2 or lower? Also as I was late to the preverbial party what is the rule of thumb for someone who say starts with a League 1 side and either gets promoted with that team to the EPL or takes on a team in said division?

Any preferences on a title? No rush as ill only get it started tonight..

Championship to legue two was the rules. You must start with a team in those divisions. If you get promoted to the premier league you can continue to post as long as you remain at that club you can't leave for say man city and carry on. Same as if you get relegated out of league two.

Championship to legue two was the rules. You must start with a team in those divisions. If you get promoted to the premier league you can continue to post as long as you remain at that club you can't leave for say man city and carry on. Same as if you get relegated out of league two.

I stupidly asked before looking back, got it noted now man.

Ill make a start then, hopefully won't disappoint.

Archived