Official Vfl Wolfsburg Thread - Welcome to the Volkswagen Arena

rlipscombe

brand.gif

team_photo_2009_458.jpg

The city of Wolfsburg was founded in 1938 as Stadt des KdF-Wagen to house autoworkers building the car which would later become famous as the Volkswagen Beetle. The first football club affiliated with the autoworks was known as BSG Volkswagenwerk Stadt des KdF-Wagen. This team played in the first division Gauliga Osthannover in the 1943-44 and 1944-45 seasons.

On September 12 1945, in the aftermath of World War II, a new club was formed and was known briefly as VSK Wolfsburg. This side began play in the green and white still worn by VfL today: local youth trainer Bernd Elberskirch had ten green jerseys at his disposal and white bed sheets donated by the public were sewn together by local women to make shorts.

On December 15 1945, the club went through a crisis that almost ended its existence when all but one of its players left to join 1. FC Wolfsburg. The only player remaining, Josef Meyer, worked with Willi Hilbert to rebuild the side by signing new players. Within a year this new group, now playing as VfL Wolfsburg, had captured the local Gifhorn title. In late November 1946, the club played a friendly against longtime powerhouse Schalke 04 at the stadium owned by the Volkswagen, emerging as the successor to BSG as the company sponsored side.

Postwar play

The club made slow but steady progress in the following seasons. They captured a number of amateur level championships, but were unable to advance out of the promotion playoffs until finally breaking through to the top tier Oberliga Nord in 1954 with a 2:1 victory over Heider SV. However, Wolfsburg struggled in the top flight, narrowly missing relegation each season until finally being sent down in 1959. When Germany's first professional football league – the Bundesliga – was formed in 1963, VfL was playing in the Regionalliga Nord (II) having just moved up from the Verbandesliga Niedersachsen (III).

Second division and advance to the Bundesliga

Wolfsburg remained a second division fixture over the next dozen years with their best performance being a second place finish in 1970. That finish earned the club entry to the promotion round playoffs for the Bundesliga where they performed poorly and were unable to advance. From the mid-70's through to the early 90's Die Wölfe played as a third division side in the Amateur Oberliga Nord. Consecutive first place finishes in 1991 and 1992, followed by success in the promotion playoffs saw the club advance to the 2.Bundesliga for the 1992-93 season.

VfL continued to enjoy some success through the 90's. The team advanced to the final of the German Cup in 1995 where they were beaten 0:3 by Borussia Mönchengladbach, but then went on to the top flight on the strength of a second place league finish in 1997.

Early predictions were that the club would immediately be sent back down, but instead, the Wolves developed into a mid-table Bundesliga side. They qualified for the Intertoto Cup in 2000, 2001, 2003, and 2004, enjoying their best run in 2003 by reaching the final where they lost to Italian side AC Perugia. Recently, there was little success for the club, with two 15th place finishes only narrowly avoiding relegation. For the 2007-08 season the club hired former Bayern Munich manager Felix Magath, with whom they managed to finish an astonishing 5th place at the end of the season and for the second time in the club's history, qualify for the UEFA cup. (thanks to Wikipedia.....)

volkswagenarena3.jpg

Current Squad - 2008/09 Season (Weegie Update)

1 GKDiego Benaglio

2 DFCristian Zaccardo

3 DFRodrigo Alvim

4 DFMarcel Schäfer

5 DFRicardo Costa (vice-captain)

6 DFJan Šimůnek

7 MFJosué (captain)

8 MFDaniel Baier

9 FWEdin Džeko

10 MFZvjezdan Misimović

12 GKAndré Lenz

13 MFMakoto Hasebe

14 MFJonathan Santana

15 MFDaniel Adlung

16 FWMahir Sağlık

17 DFAlexander Madlung

18 MFJacek Krzynówek

19 MFVlad Munteanu

20 DFSascha Riether

21 GKPatrick Platins

22 MFKevin Wolze

23 FWGrafite

24 FWAshkan Dejagah

25 MFChristian Gentner

27 FWAlexander Esswein

31 MFAlexander Laas

43 DFAndrea Barzagli

- DFAlex

- FWKamani Hill

- GKSimon Jentzsch

(Transfers in/out summer 2008 for those playing without update, as a guide to the squad then...)

IN

2 DF Cristian Zaccardo (from US Palermo)

3 DF Rodrigo Alvim (from Belenenses)

10 MF Zvjezdan Misimović (from 1. FC Nürnberg)

15 MF Daniel Adlung (from SpVgg Greuther Fürth)

16 FW Mahir Sağlık (from Wuppertaler SV)

19 MF Vlad Munteanu (loan return from AJ Auxerre)

21 GK Patrick Platins (loan return from FC Augsburg)

22 MF Kevin Wolze (from Bolton Wanderers F.C.)

27 FW Alexander Esswein (from 1. FC Kaiserslautern youth)

43 DF Andrea Barzagli (from US Palermo)

OUT

2 DF Facundo Hernán Quiroga (to Club Atlético River Plate)

3 DF Peter Van Der Heyden (to 1. FSV Mainz 05)

18 MF Cedric Makiadi (on loan to MSV Duisburg)

27 MF Pablo Thiam (retired)

28 FW Isaac Boakye (to 1. FC Nürnberg, previously on loan to 1. FSV Mainz 05)

29 FW Sergiu Radu (on loan to 1. FC Köln, previously on loan to VfB Stuttgart)

30 MF Valdet Rama (to FC Ingolstadt 04)

31 FW Emre Öztürk (to SV Sandhausen)

32 MF Marcelinho (to Clube de Regatas do Flamengo)

36 FW Mame Niang (on loan to Viking FK)

40 FW Danijel Ljuboja (loan return to VfB Stuttgart)

DF Uwe Möhrle (to FC Augsburg, previously on loan)

Star Players

- Andrea Barzagli - CB (signed from Palermo)

- Cristian Zaccardo - RB (signed from Palermo

- Josue - CM (club captain)

- Grafite - ST

Initial Impressions

Wolfsburg are one of the 'second-level' clubs in Germany behind Bayern, Dortmund, HSV and Schalke. A solid squad, with room for improvement in a number of positions providing you can juggle the finances. In my opinion, a back-up keeper, a CB to partner Barzagli, another CM, an attacking midfielder and another striker to partner Grafite are required to push for Champions league qualification.

Transfer Budget - for European qualification - £2.4million (upped to £7 million after asking for more money

Wage Budget - surplus budget of £20k p/w (not too much room for manouvere)

Hopefully one or two of you will be tempted to join me in attempting to take "the Wolves" to the top of German and European football...

(credit to GavinLP1987 for influencing the layout of this thread.... )

on the weegie update (which tends to be pretty similar to the official patches) it was at £2.5 million for european qualification. i managed to get this up to £7 million asking for more funds. There isn't loads of money, but the squad isn't too bad. can probably raise some with some player sales as well.

As for my game, still early days and have so far signed Oded Gavish, Dor Malul and Thiago on free transfers with one eye on the future. Have also managed to sign Alex, a brazilian midfielder from Internacional for £1.4m.

0,,14479507-EX,00.jpg

am also offering a contract to Peter Lovenkrands after having a bid of £2.7 million accepted by Schalke. can't quite match his wage demands though so might miss out on that deal....

i think i had a game on 8.02 with wob somewhere. will see if i find and get into that again. i remember there was lots of deadwood and that i had to bring in a whole new central defense. an update with Barzagli and Zaccardo in will certainly make things easier. (the deadwood is no wonder though since FM(Felix Magath :p) has the same problems IRL. nobody is willing to pay for players from wob because everybody thinks they have tons of money from VW.)

only loaded the german leagues, though have loaded all players from argentina, brazil, Czech Rep, Romania and a couple of others.....

have signed a few more youngsters as well. have also signed Marvin Angulo (£350k), Russotto (ST) and a Croatian midfielder whose name i can't remember from Dinamo. have about £2 million left

pulled out of Lovenkrands deal as didn't think could blow all my cash on him. have lowered my bid to £1.6million, and will see what they reckon tomorrow...

so ,as previously mentioned, a few more players have joined the club:

1741457_0.jpg Marvin Angulo - DR/WBR/MR

5_153.jpg Distel Zola - DM

12_photo_g.jpg Andrea Russotto - ST

all three players have been signed with an eye on the future. they are likely to provide back-up in the coming season. As the current squad isn't too bad, i am focusing a fair bit of my attention on the future. Brazilian Defender Rafael Forster will also join in time for next season, at a cost of £425,000.

With these signings i feel the future of Wolfsburg is pretty secure.

sorry for multiple posts, but i should add that i am aiming to play a 4-2-3-1 formation, as the club has a number of attacking players. The two midfielders will be fairly defensive minded to provide protection to the back four, whilst the attacking 4 will be encouraged to attack.

after being thwarted in my attempts to bring in Christopher Samba, Kew Jaliens and Sergei Ignashicevich (sp?? :rolleyes: ), i have had to turn to 35 year old Christian Worns to add competition to my squad....

48917.jpg

although he has lost some of his pace, his technical and mental skills are still there, and is rated as my 3rd best central defender. Has been given a 1-year contract, which is all i reckon i'll need him for. and best of all he was free...

Peter Lovenkrands news......... i have had an offer of £1.6 million accepted, and have agreed terms with him too. have just delayed the move for a week to assess my other options, although it's likely Peter will soon be a 'wolves' player.....

will do - doesn't come on 'available for loan' with unrealistic targets filtered out, although from my lower league experience i know there is a little flaw with the filter in that they may move on loan still.....

will check him out. i know of his record on here though, just hadn't thought about him.

thanks for reminding me!

well, despite the general consensus being that i should steer clear of him, Peter Lovenkrands is now a Wolfsburg player.

3722351181-soccer-uefa-champions-league-group-b-schalke-04-v-chelsea.jpg

i have signed him mainly for his pace, and for the fact that as an AML with farrow to ST in my team, he'll be able to score goals cutting in from the left. this bore fruit in his first friendly, a 7-0 away win over Go Ahead Eagles, in which he scored twice.

My other signing, who's name i hadn't been able to remember for a few days, is Ognjen Vukojevic, a Croatian midfielder signed for £1.6 million from Dinamo Zagreb.

vukojevic.jpg

Ognjen has slotted straight into the starting XI, alongside Josue in the central midfield berth. Ognjen has good alround stats, and was highly rated by my scouts.

pre-season is pretty much at an end now, with largely positive results. we are scoring more now with farrows on my wide men, whilst retaining a lot of the solidity at the back. our only defeat (i think) has been a 2-1 home defeat to Valencia. the scoreline doesn't give an accurate reflection of the game, as we were more than a match for the Spaniards. this gives me some optimism going into the new season....

Good results and still good signings. :)

I would still loan in Anichebe great from the bench when you are behind. Was my topscorer in my Anderlechtsave iirc. Malaury Martin should be available on loan, the same for Sankhare although both young they provide class even in the first season.

i've tried for Anichebe, but Everton won't loan him out. think i'm going to have to make do with Radu and Grafite up front, although i do worry about their ability to consistently score goals. may have something to do with playing on weegie update. as for Martin, not heard of him so will have a look. i can't remember if i had a look at Sankhare too or not - will look again.

cheers

• 6 months later...

Archived