Football Manager--->Player Dependent

Alekos

As the title of the topic says, is this game player dependent or not?

In my opinion I think it is and it is very rare or even impossible to achieve great results with average players.

How many of you played against Arsenal with a Bradford-similar team and knocked them out?

Or how many of you based only on good tactics got victories against more reputable clubs than yours and against teams of higher divisions?

My point is can you get results only with your extraordinary tactics?

the game take a huge part of reputation into consideration, if it's AI.

Arsenal filled with all Bradford player will play better than Bradford filled with Arsenal players

I disagree with that as you wouldn't be able to take a club from bottom league to the top if it was just based on club reputation

Quality of player has a huge part to play, obviously if you have 11 quality players compared to 11 average/poor ones you will do better. But it has to be combined with motivation and tactics to guarantee performance.

I have found, much like in real life, anyone can beat anyone else in a one off game. But over the course of the season the quality of players will dictate where each team finishes.

Arsenal filled with all Bradford player will play better than Bradford filled with Arsenal players

I don't think that would be true. I'd love to see someone test it.

Barcelona won the title last year without a manager...that explains itself..if you have too good players you have a rare possibility to fail

But yeah they failed badly in champions league...may be a different approach in the second leg given by a tactical genius could have changed their fate

This was the case in FM iterations from way back. But only if the competitions were quick simed rather than through the match engine (full details). Your own competitions are fully simulated by default always, which means this never affected you directly. Everything else you can customize. However, this seems to have seen an overhaul along the road somewhere. It isn't quite that simple anymore. It used to be reputation solely that determined a team's performance. But put Messi into a Blue Square Prem side, and you'll see him run amok in either quick sim and full detail, and key attributes are roughly reflected in the league stats when simulated quickly also. Bolster a relegation contender in the Premier Ship with world class players and you'll see them overperform massively (and the players scoring goals for fun as if at any other club). Even on low details.

The only major influence of reputation on player performance is likely that interrelating with manager reputation. E.g. if you start as Sunday League Footballer depending on the club and players you will find that players "can't motivate themselves for playing you", which has a couple knock on effects and such should happen for AI managers thus also. Don't know if there's also a connection between player performance and club reputation, unless the player starts demanding a move to a bigger club anyway.

Apart from that there isn't any major influence I can think of, club reputation might still be a factor in quickly calculated matches, but certainly not near to the extent you're claiming anymore.

try looking at it the other way round. there are plenty of people with brilliant teams getting sacked for poor results. every other thread seems to be somebody blaming the game for them being sacked. i have seen threads where people have been relegated first season with teams that should be challenging for the champions league places.

to ask whether it has a large influence is a bit of a silly question, of course it does, but its possible to over and underachieve still.

Archived