FMH14 Android - Criteria for multi Leagues ??

Just downloaded and installed on Motorola Zoom2 Media Edition and got a message saying device cant run multiple Leagues. No biggie to be as I dont usually swap Leagues during a save, but just wondering where my device falls down on this ?

ta

----interesting, just downloaded to my HTC 1+ and that will let me run multi Leagues...................

• SI Staff

To also add to that, the Android OS also needs to be a 4.x OS, the Zoom 2 media edition looks like it's running 3.2 (Honeycomb) by default, so you 'may' be able to root/upgrade it to a higher OS. As Aaron says though it's otherwise RAM related, unfortunately it's not a simple "You need X amount of RAM" to run multiple leagues and each of the zillion Android phones/tablets you can get these days is different.

To also add to that, the Android OS also needs to be a 4.x OS, the Zoom 2 media edition looks like it's running 3.2 (Honeycomb) by default, so you 'may' be able to root/upgrade it to a higher OS. As Aaron says though it's otherwise RAM related, unfortunately it's not a simple "You need X amount of RAM" to run multiple leagues and each of the zillion Android phones/tablets you can get these days is different.

My Zoom 2 ME is Android 4.04OS and 1GB RAM......................

• SI Staff
The way the system decides on Android is how much heap memory is available to an application - I calculated how much is utilized by the Application in a worst case scenario and then check that the system is able to handle that for a single app running.

Please note this is NOT the same as the RAM memory on your device, its down to what the OS allows a single application to utilise (which is generally far lower than the memory in the device) - in practice nearly all 'newer' popular devices (ie. Galaxy, Nexus series etc.) will be able to run multi-league/large database setups.

Quote from Marc above in another post. So it's not solely the RAM on the device (apologies that me and Aaron both slightly misled you), which is why it's not easy to say with 100% certainty which devices can and can't handle multiple leagues.

@mozza - Yes, Galaxy S4 will handle multi leagues absolutely fine. :)

• SI Staff
If a device says no, is it a definite no or can it be changed to a yes by clearing out some room?

It's a definite no I'm afraid - it's not to do with space on the device, it's to do with the amount of RAM that device is able to allocate to any one particular app.

• SI Staff
If a device says no, is it a definite no or can it be changed to a yes by clearing out some room?

If the device says 'No' - then if its below 4.0 on the OS level then upgrading 'might' enable it, however if you have that OS already then its likely down to other factors such as the allowed memory heap size (this differs slightly from device to device and also can vary depending on the mobile provider you use which is why we can't just give a blanket 'yes or no' sometimes).

Archived