'2 footed' strikers......... what do you think about them?

I read an article, a few months back, that stated two footed players where overestimated in real world football. The scientists who studied this came to the conclusion after hours of research. They used a system to assess a players capability by using statistics like the ones used in "moneyball" and offered scientific help to real world football teams.

The article read football coaches were often training players on their weaker foot, while their data showed it had no significant value for that type of position. I believe they did make an exception for strikers because the ability to shoot at goal in tight spots was an advantage to them.

Can't say if it translates all that well in FM though, my data doesn't stretch that far. :)

I fully recommend an either footed striker, especially if they're a lone forward.

Because of how CA weighting works, the player's attributes will look slightly worse than someone who only uses one foot, but a 16 finishing either footed player is much more useful than a 20 finishing single footed player - that 20 finishing will be possible a lot less often than the 16 finishing because either footedness allows them to be better in more situations.

Oh definitely dual footed over single footed players.

Wide players, fullbacks

Really useful as they're more dynamic in which way they go to, can go down the line or cut inside towards the middle, can also help get crosses in after they go down the line. Eg a left footed player on the right side of pitch will need to cut back to whip in a cross.

Central midfielders

Increases passing options and ball retention, particularly if they're shown towards a certain part of the pitch, they can often cut back and spread play to the other side.

Forwards, other players when shooting.

A single footed forward would likely be shown towards his weaker foot side when he receives the ball, and when he dribbles he'll have a tough time finding an angle for a shot as he needs to cut onto his stronger foot. Will also help when he's in acute angles as he can use his outside foot for another option. If I gave a dollar away everytime I had a striker in the box but on his wrong foot and unable to score because if angle problems or having to cut onto other foot, there'd be no poverty in Africa, or I'd just be homeless.

Always been a big fan of two-footed attacking players, not just striker. They open up so many tactical options.

For example, if your DLF only has a rightfoot, it's very ineffective to set up a tactic where someone runs up the left side because when he has his back to goal, he can't may a good layoff to his right hand side. If he's two-footed, it's a lot easier to set up a tactic where you have deep runs from both sides, giving him the option to lay it off to either side. Much more difficult to defend, and more versatile.

There definitely used to be one, but I don't think there is anymore (at least players who I would expect to have it don't).

Couldn't find the option in the player search panel, so it's probably removed. Did find PPM there: 'attempts to develop weaker foor' never seen that one before.

Couldn't find the option in the player search panel, so it's probably removed. Did find PPM there: 'attempts to develop weaker foot' never seen that one before.

This really interests me, I wondered how SI were going to get round the CA problem. Is this it and does any one know how it works?

By the way, Ackter swears right, that PPM is in FM10. (I knew that living in the past would pay off one day)

I've tried it on a few players. It took like 6-8 months or so, all but one succeeded, but it only gave them a slight bump in ability on weaker foot. A couple of players stayed at 'very weak' after succeeding and one changed to just 'weak'. The younger players didn't seem to loose anything from it, but a 21 year old more developed player lost between 0.5 and 1 in almost every ability maybe a week after completion, but I don't know if it was poor training or the weak foot eating up his ca-points.

As for the PPM I also remember it, but I think it was just a cosmetic one and had no effect on the game.

I've tried it on a few players. It took like 6-8 months or so, all but one succeeded, but it only gave them a slight bump in ability on weaker foot. A couple of players stayed at 'very weak' after succeeding and one changed to just 'weak'. The younger players didn't seem to loose anything from it, but a 21 year old more developed player lost between 0.5 and 1 in almost every ability maybe a week after completion, but I don't know if it was poor training or the weak foot eating up his ca-points.

As for the PPM I also remember it, but I think it was just a cosmetic one and had no effect on the game.

Smells like CA redistribution to me. Couldn't find anything in the manual, is there an in game explanation about training the weaker foot?

Archived