counter attack

is anyone having any success with a counter attacking strategy?

im playing as man united in season 2. admittedly I used the corner tactic in season 1 along with a downloaded tactic. due to the update I had to change tactics I couldn't find one that I really liked. I don't mean they were rubbish they just didn't play how I wanted.

I remember a formation from a previous version(fm10 I think) that I really liked. a 4231 with 3 central attacking mids along with 1 up top. so I tried to have ago myself. this is the formation along with team instructions.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/c160t82o4an5r8o/Manchester%20United_%20Tactics%20Team-2.png#

I wanted to play a quick one touch game. where I allow the opposition to come at me then attack quickly. hence the team instructions. im not bothered by possession at all on this tactic it is purely to catch the oppo with there guard down. so I have left passing instructions alone allowing them to do what they see fit at that time. doing this has seen a number of balls over the top for my poacher to run onto. either from the DLP or one of the attacking trio. doesn't happen every game but its beautiful to watch when it does!! it plays beautiful quick football as I had envisioned. I am still vulnerable to conceding goals and losing my fair share of games but as a starting point its not too bad. im unsure of the attacking trio? not sure if I have the right combo? I prefer my forwards to score the majority of the goals so im not sure if the combo I have at the moment really allows for that? im also unsure how to tighten up at the back? I have my DLP on support to supply the front three with balls and CM on defend to help the back four out. im wondering if I play the DLP on defend along with the defensive mid will that leave too big a gap between them and the attacking mids?

I've tried a similar approach too but nothing seems to work. The tactics, in almost the forums, are all based in possession and I totally dislike that kind of football.

Would be interesting if someone build an approach based on this, besides catenaccio that requires very specific players..

I think it would be great if its possible? there are some definite positives from the above tactic but im well aware its still very much a work in progress!

going to write of this season and use it specifically for tweaking the tactic. will play around with the roles to try and find a better combination in both attack and defence. the more I think about it maybe the poacher role is not ideal either. with the attacking trio all attack minded they will be in the penalty area looking to score not just provide the front man so maybe a CF would be better suited? still looking to score but also assisting the others when the opportunity arises? maybe even a treq?

will try the DLP on a defend duty and maybe change the other MC. not sure what too though? I feel a more generic role would be better suited like a CM on either auto or support duty.. don't want him running around looking for the ball(BWM) as I feel that would leave to much free space for the oppo. and I don't think I need another body in the penalty area either(BBM) surely 4 is enough to create some mayhem?

not really sure how to strengthen the defence? apart from dropping the 2 MCs which I don't really fancy doing. maybe I could use one of the two DCs on a stopper duty to try and stifle any attacking movement? this is all things I need to experiment with I think.

I feel that the team instructions are ok as I can see what I envisioned being played out in the highlights. but some thing needs to be done to make it more consistent. im trying not to over complicate things by using the player instructions so have left them to a minimal just altering ones I see fit for the type of football I want.

TomTuck had a thread on Madrids counter tactic under Jose for FM 13. Worth a look.

Managing a team like United though I think it would be difficult to set up a traditional type counter tactic that solely looked to hit teams on the break and get consistency.

Most teams you play won't step up and try to play you and will probably be looking to the hit you on the counter.

TomTuck had a thread on Madrids counter tactic under Jose for FM 13. Worth a look.

Managing a team like United though I think it would be difficult to set up a traditional type counter tactic that solely looked to hit teams on the break and get consistency.

Most teams you play won't step up and try to play you and will probably be looking to the hit you on the counter.

Have you a link?

well I have changed the DLP to defend without much disruption to the tactic, he merely sits further back which is only a good thing! I have kept the other CM on defend duty as not really sure what other role will fit into the system?

up top I have changed to CF. still getting balls over the top for him to run onto but other than that im not too impressed with the play. he seems to drop a bit too deep disrupting my ideals. going to give AF a try hopefully he will stay a little further forward for those all important through balls.

still struggling with defence so will just keep trying!! i seem to go five/six games without conceding then haemorrhage goals for roughly the same number of games????

I've had success at Workington with a counter tactic. (Short passing, lower tempo)

With United, at home I do control, gain 60-70% possession and kick arse.

away, I go counter but it doesn't quite work so well. It's defensively solid, but is weak up front. I do a 4-4-2 fluid, short, lower tempo, play out of defence, work ball into box, expressive. It may be because of 'work ball into box' but I abhor long shots and this at least cuts it out.

NB: It does win me games though;

Man City (A) - 1-0 (literally only 4 shots vs 20+)

Newcastle (A) - 2-0 (6 shots to 20+)

I find counter sits back and if you have a solid defence the opposition just blast it from miles out.

appreciate all the comments!

I finished the 2nd season. came 2nd in league won both domestic cups. world club cup and euro super cup. lost in the 1st knock out round of champs league. but as I said earlier I was prepared to write of this season for tactical gains. so to have won what I did I am very pleased.

this is the formation and team instructions I settled on.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/myfiles/#azb2newyf6tsprx

I went for an anchor man just solidify the defence unsure if it really works but it enabled me to employ a CWB on the right to assist with game further up field.

I changed from an ENG to a TRQ as I have more of an understanding what it does. never really heard of an ENG before?

changed to a AF to hopefully convert more chances as I felt a poacher was too one dimensional. I think it works ok but im sure the more experienced player might argue this?

im still unsure as the best roles for the other 2 AMCs? I went for AM on att and sup duty as im on the understanding that these are more defensive of the options available?

put the DLP on defend to again solidify the defence. Nothing too exciting really.

went with a more solid FB on the left side.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/myfiles/#evr4fob6n1zl495

http://www.mediafire.com/view/myfiles/#xc989px7gzad1xx

the above player stats show that there is some promise in the tactic but I just need to make it more consistent!

if any one has any ideas I would be very grateful!!

have started season 3 very strong indeed. having lost the charity shield v man city albeit on pens I am so far unbeaten in all games.

so far played 10(including charity shield) won 8 drawn 1 lost(2-2 v spurs) 1(CS v city)

top scorer is welbeck with 10 goals in 8 app plus 2 assists.shinji is on fire in the treq role with 5 goals and 4 assists in 10 apps.

very promising at the mo so fingers crossed it stays this way.

one change I have made is I removed work ball into box and replaced it with pump ball into box. this seems to get the ball up the field a lot quicker which is kind of the point to this thread!

Archived