The Fulcrum - Silk & Steel. A complete Tactical System for 14.1.4 and beyond......

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whats with giving so many penalties away?

Did not experience this. Number of penalties is realistic in my save. Maybe it's your players? Bad team morale seems to lead players to make bad decisions on the field (like going for a tackle when you shouldn't)...

Did not experience this. Number of penalties is realistic in my save. Maybe it's your players? Bad team morale seems to lead players to make bad decisions on the field (like going for a tackle when you shouldn't)...

Probably right playing in the Premier league with players that would be average in the championship

Well, i´ve just won the Liga BBVA with my beloved Celta de Vigo (media prediction 16th) in the first season. I play Football Manager since the 90s and this must be MY BEST SEASON EVER.

I´m finding problems to upload the image properly so i give you the link:

http://postimg.org/image/5ccogpsrh/

I´ve used Silk & Steel (the original one, not the 4.2 version) all season, following the rules of training given in this thread but decided to stick to def. set pieces until the last two matches, when i switched to def. positioning and secure the title (beating Real Madrid 2-1).

My team is nothing sort of spectacular (my best players are Rafinha -on loan- and Alex Lopez). Rafinha as F9 scored 19 and Álex López gave 17 assists along with 10 goals, and now he´s valued 11 M.

I signed two guys to help my team at the beginning of the season. Casado was my left back (i paid 650 k for him, he was in Real Madrid B) and i also signed a guy called Steindberg to help me in the DM role (he´s pretty strong and costed me 2.5 M).

After the patch, i realized my team wasn´t playing very well (depending very much on corners to score goals and getting scores like 1-0, 2-1...but still winning).

Anyway i won the title so what else can i ask.

Thank you very much for this tactic, i´ve never thought i´d be able to win the title in Spain with such a small team.

Well, i´ve just won the Liga BBVA with my beloved Celta de Vigo (media prediction 16th) in the first season. I play Football Manager since the 90s and this must be MY BEST SEASON EVER.

I´ve used Silk & Steel (the original one, not the 4.2 version) all season, following the rules of training given in this thread but decided to stick to def. set pieces until the last two matches, when i switched to def. positioning and secure the title (beating Real Madrid 2-1).

My team is nothing sort of spectacular (my best players are Rafinha -on loan- and Alex Lopez). Rafinha as F9 scored 19 and Álex López gave 17 assists along with 10 goals, and now he´s valued 11 M.

I signed two guys to help my team at the beginning of the season. Casado was my left back (i paid 650 k for him, he was in Real Madrid B) and i also signed a guy called Steindberg to help me in the DM role (he´s pretty strong and costed me 2.5 M).

After the patch, i realized my team wasn´t playing very well (depending very much on corners to score goals and getting scores like 1-0, 2-1...but still winning).

Thank you very much for this tactic, i´ve never thought i´d be able to win the title in Spain with such a small team.

Well done. Make sure you move to the new tactic.

Where i can find original tactic?

Thank you mate, it is mostly your work. If the original one gave me the title, do you still recommend me to switch to the new tactic?

it's ALL my work, with the kind feedback from the members of this forum.

14.2 IS the original tactic tweaked for the new ME. The only reason you would want an earlier version of the tactic would be if you wanted to be LESS successful.

Very interested to see how it goes.

Keep us posted!

Update after 23 league games of my 1st Premier League season i'm sitting 4th in the league and into the League cup final so well exceeding my expectations, don't think i have a single player worthy of playing in the Premier league so can't believe how well it is going, play some great stuff with 14.2 plenty of thru balls to my CF he's on fire again it helps that he doesn't get injured played almost every game in last 3 seasons

Who with and which division?

With Heart of Midlothian and the Scottish Premiership.

So far using your set of tactics i have brought us out of admin, making up minus 15 points to make Europe in first season, expanded stadium to 25000 from 17500, won the SPL, won the Scottish Cup 3 times, won the league cup, qualified for champions league group stage twice, made the semi finals of Europa Cup last season and currently top of SPL and into champions league round of 16. 23 million in the bank and all this achieved in 6 years.

I have updated to the latest tactic as and when released if that makes sense. I have to also add i have 5 or 6 first team players that were already at the club when i took over 6 years ago.

I don't believe the AI learns to counter tactics to any significant extent. You can see the evidence for this all over this thread. Season after season of continual success with the same tactic.

It's a bit disappointing really, the FM series can't really advance forward until they fix this.

NOTHING WOULD MAKE ME HAPPIER THAN THE AI LEARNING TO COUNTER THIS TACTIC.

But it ain't happening this year,

Besides, Man UTD under Ferguson, Barcelona and Bayern and many other great team's pretty much play the same way every week. That doesn't mean you can stop them.

So i'm in 2 minds as to whether a sound tactic can be countered effectively anyway :confused:

I just wanted to give a bit of a update. In my first season with Burton I got them promoted as champions so then moved onto my first season in league 1. During my first season I did not do much to the squad and all I did was add 5 players to add a little quality. So for my league 1 campaign I signed 3 players and bought in 1 on loan.

For this campaign right at the start I have gone with Silk and Steel 14.2 and all I want to say is I bow down before you....

So far

Sitting 3rd and 3 points off second and 6 off top my record currently is Played 13 won 9 Drew 1 Lost 3 scored 29 Against 18.

I love the way this plays some of the passing moves would have Pep or Arsene begging you to give them tips.

I just wanted to give a bit of a update. In my first season with Burton I got them promoted as champions so then moved onto my first season in league 1. During my first season I did not do much to the squad and all I did was add 5 players to add a little quality. So for my league 1 campaign I signed 3 players and bought in 1 on loan.

For this campaign right at the start I have gone with Silk and Steel 14.2 and all I want to say is I bow down before you....

So far

Sitting 3rd and 3 points off second and 6 off top my record currently is Played 13 won 9 Drew 1 Lost 3 scored 29 Against 18.

I love the way this plays some of the passing moves would have Pep or Arsene begging you to give them tips.

Glad your enjoying it. Even a adding just a little bit of quality to the squad makes a massive difference. When you have couple of quality players and they are missing thru injury or resting you can really notice it. 1 or 2 quality players can carry a mediocre team.

If you can strengthen in January it could seal another promotion.

Good luck

Doing very well with the new tactic but can't stop conceding from corners any ideas on how to stop conceding ?

Shouldn't be a mjaor issue but once you the tactic is fully fluid put match training on defending set pieces and leave it there all season. You should stop conceding.

Make sure your Centre Backs and DM are dominant headers asap. By dominant i mean 16+ jumping reach.

So I logged on here in Thursday to find a tactic that worked with the formation I have, I thought it might take me a while to find a tactic posted here that used the same formation... Low and behold this was the first tactic in this forum and happened to also be the very formation I was looking for. I play FMC right now and in the distant future (2026 now) I have my Accrington Stanley team in the Premier League, yay! But alas, success is hard to come by at the top level and my team started 1-4-4 on the season after two respectable finishes in the previous Premiership campaigns so I needed some adjustments. I plugged this tactic from this post in and adjusted my match plan to suit it and boom!.... Capital One Cup, 1st place finish in the Premiership and, the Champions Cup! Amazing. Thank you Mr U Rosler!

Quick update,

I had a bit of trouble in my second premier league season (using original SS) until Christmas, then had a massive rally after Christmas, Rosler said that my team was probably not as good as I thought , he was dead right

After a bit of a wheeler dealer transfer window, I rallied from 6th bottom, and finished 5th (it was a very tight league)

Third season (still original SS) currently top with 7 games to go (with a crunch match with second place Arsenal ) semi finals of Europa league, won Carling/Capital/Rumbelows/Milk cup,

This save has straddle the patch, for me 14.2 made the original SS almost unbeatable (I have lost 3 in 30+ games only),

I did have a brief flirtation with the new SS, result were ok, Here are a few observations :

1. I am not sure adding dribble to the DL and DR adds too much, and I have seen them lose the ball a little more then previously, they were already performing great, so I am not sure that (for me ) it added anything

2. I don't really like "retain possession" it seems to slow down the play too much adding extra sideways passes, and reducing the amount of killer through balls, and balls over the top (where my quick forwards have been scoring frequently)

3. Obviously the tactic dominates possession, Which in the higher leagues (and I'm think next seasons Champ league for me), Is going to be key at the higher levels

This is just my feedback, I am sticking with Original SS for now, depending how the last 4 weeks of the season go, I may stick with it for next season Champ league campaign.(that said in the beginning I preferred the old V4 to SS, so I will probably change over at some point, as I did with v2, v3 v4 and SS :))

Thanks again Uwe, for you work, I love that the tactic keeps evolving, and thanks for taking the time to read and respond to the feedback.

Merry Christmas to you and "she who must be obeyed" ( I have one of these too...... she is currently in the shower, then doing her hair, so a good 2 hours of trouble free FM :brock:)

Quick update,

I had a bit of trouble in my second premier league season (using original SS) until Christmas, then had a massive rally after Christmas, Rosler said that my team was probably not as good as I thought , he was dead right

After a bit of a wheeler dealer transfer window, I rallied from 6th bottom, and finished 5th (it was a very tight league)

Third season (still original SS) currently top with 7 games to go (with a crunch match with second place Arsenal ) semi finals of Europa league, won Carling/Capital/Rumbelows/Milk cup,

This save has straddle the patch, for me 14.2 made the original SS almost unbeatable (I have lost 3 in 30+ games only),

I did have a brief flirtation with the new SS, result were ok, Here are a few observations :

1. I am not sure adding dribble to the DL and DR adds too much, and I have seen them lose the ball a little more then previously, they were already performing great, so I am not sure that (for me ) it added anything

2. I don't really like "retain possession" it seems to slow down the play too much adding extra sideways passes, and reducing the amount of killer through balls, and balls over the top (where my quick forwards have been scoring frequently)

This is just my feedback, I am sticking with Original SS for now, depending how the last 4 weeks od the season go, I will probably stick with it for next season Champ league campaign.(thatsaid in the beginning I preferred the old V4 to SS, so I will probably change over at some point, as I did with v2, v3 v4 and SS :))

Thanks again Uwe, for you work, I love that the tactic keeps evolving, and thanks for taking the time to read and respond to the feedback.

Merry Christmas to you and "she who must be obeyed" ( I have one of these too...... she is currently in the shower, then doing her hair, so a good 2 hours of trouble free FM :brock:)

Thanks for the feedback. I do take on board what everyone says.

As much as I'm happy with the 14.2 tactic (guys have won the bundes lliga, la liga, the premier league and the champions league over the last couple of days, with small teams) I am a tinker'r and a perfectionist so even if a tactic is successful, if there is some thing I don't like about it, even if it's only aesthetic I will change it.

In other words, what this space!

Since the latest update (with the latest patch) ive noticed a large percentage of my goals coming from corners or throw ins (bullet throw ins), anyone else having similar? Had a shocking run of fixtures together which meant i lost 6 games in a row including playing man city, chelsea and arsenal. Same happened last season i played loads of the big teams all at once.

:applause:I've been following this thread for some weeks now and have found it as interesting as the game itself! I started life managing Volendam in the Dutch Jupiler League and using my own tactics won promotion to the top division. Subsequently finished 7th and but during the second season I was struggling until I changed to Silk and Steel V2 and ended up 6th. For the third season in the top division, I managed to sign a few better players either permanent or on season long loans and was top of the league using V2 and V4 but with the MEupdate and the change to S&S 14.2 the results initially were poor and I ended the season runners up to PSV and also beaten in the Cup Final by PSV. I've now resigned and am applying for jobs in the lower English divisions but as of November, I am still unemployed!

Anyway, I hope this discussion thread keeps going and I take my hat off to Uwe for his research, development and continued feed back to my fellow posters.

A few people are mentioning the corner and long throw thing.

Difficult for me as I only scored 7 goals from corners last season and no one in my current team is capable of 'flat bullet throw'

Can you clarify the point.

Are you saying too many goals are coming from set pieces to the point where it's an exploit and you want me to tone it down?

OR

In a roundabout way are you saying we're not scoring enough from open play?

Difficult for me as I only scored 7 goals from corners last season and no one in my current team is capable of 'flat bullet throw'

Are you saying too many goals are coming from set pieces to the point where it's an exploit and you want me to tone it down?

OR

Set Pieces fine for me i scored 10 from corners last season highest in the league was 14 so is acceptable for me.

My results with the silk&steel basic version, all matches with 14.2

http://postimg.org/image/n1jrlsr2x/

With Wolves you would expect something like this, but maybe not THAT good.

Extremely pleasing results in the League Cup on top :)

All in all, I'm happy so far, even though it seems that in earlier ME versions domination was even greater.

Again, I'd get on the latest tactic.

Just a update, I'm on task to win my Third Swiss Super League now. The first two was with S&S and this current season is with S&S14.2. Its a little bit tighter this time round but i have a few more younger kids around and in the team now. But another Well done you you!

OR

I dont know where this is coming from. Since the new update, goals from set plays have almost completly dried up. However, Im certainly conceding more from set plays and the only way to deal with this is to have defend set pieces on all season.

Its not tactic Uwe, think you only score from set pieces if youve got the outstanding attributes. We were too used to it being too easy methinks.

First season in professional football about to start and based on whatever way you look at my team (betting, team comparison etc) its only going to last one season! They dont know hwhat tactic Im using ;)

Wolves first season in premier league (2015/2016) using the first version of silk and steel for the whole season:

final position 8th

capital one cup: winner

euro cup: runner up (won fa cup last season)

fa cup: runner up

Had some issues with fitness by the end of the season due to my thin squad.

This is not a criticism of Mr Rosler but I am really struggling with my Athletico Madrid save game. David Villa in the F9 role and Carlos Vela in the CF role cannot hit the net. I am also often beaten in the possesion game. I made sure I played loads of friendlies preseason so tactic is fluid abnd picked players as per the OP but i'm languishing in 15th after 10 games. I guess I need to keep at it to see if things pick up but so far it's not going well and I am not sure why.

This is not a criticism of Mr Rosler but I am really struggling with my Athletico Madrid save game. David Villa in the F9 role and Carlos Vela in the CF role cannot hit the net. I am also often beaten in the possesion game. I made sure I played loads of friendlies preseason so tactic is fluid abnd picked players as per the OP but i'm languishing in 15th after 10 games. I guess I need to keep at it to see if things pick up but so far it's not going well and I am not sure why.

Are you on the latest version of the tactic 14.2.?

Are you on the latest version of the tactic 14.2.?

Hi Mr Rosler

Yes I am on 14.2. I'm not sure what to do to try and resolve the issue. Vela in particular is disappointing. I thought he would fit the CF role perfectly. Looking at my fixtures it is the games against the poorer teams that I am annoyed about:

11503059424_56d18f9c08_c.jpg Fix by Darren Joseph Gregory, on Flickr"]11503059424_56d18f9c08_c.jpg Fix by Darren Joseph Gregory, on Flickr[/url]

Hi Mr Rosler

Yes I am on 14.2. I'm not sure what to do to try and resolve the issue. Vela in particular is disappointing. I thought he would fit the CF role perfectly. Looking at my fixtures it is the games against the poorer teams that I am annoyed about:

11503059424_56d18f9c08_c.jpg Fix by Darren Joseph Gregory, on Flickr"]11503059424_56d18f9c08_c.jpg Fix by Darren Joseph Gregory, on Flickr[/url]

Bit weird that. All you can do is try and ride it out. Keep morale as high as possible. Dont put too much pressure on them with team talks unless you have an easy home game. You should start to hit form soon. Good luck :confused:

After finishing work for the year and FINALLY got my PC back in action i have purchased FM14 :)

FM 14 looks like it hasn`t changed too much from FM13 so i decided to try a tactic....I chose Man Utd as it should be slightly easier than picking a lower side to start off.....So far i`m happy with this tactic....W13 D0 L1 in EPL and i have qualified from the champions lge groups with ease after being drawn with PSG Dortmund and Steau....happy days as we head into december :)

Archived