Retro databases- are SI missing out on something here?

We can't do it for licensing reasons but there's nothing stopping the community creating their own.

Hi Neil as you mentioned you couldnt do it for licensing reason, but what if there was an easy gui to then you could have seperate databases/graphics etc so instead of copying data back and forth it would sit in and area you could then "tag" the data and then that would be say set one. Then if you wanted to load your current save with todays players you could quickly go back to the start screen select what data or set you would like to use, then if needed you could clear the cache then reload then back into another set.

Licensing means that SI cannot release any official database, as Neil has mentioned the editor does allow for community created content of this nature but I imagine the amount of work that would require is putting people off creating such content for annualised release.

• 5 months later...

I also have often dreamt about the classic database, but I've also dreamt about reshaping the history: taking control of a team in the history and building it towards glory in the FM style, where the future is pretty unpredictable.

I believe, that there is a way to do it. It still requires hard work by both SI and the community and a lot of imagination from the players.

What SI doesn't need to do is a historical database, but a set of historical starts. You can already start the season in 2016 or 2017 for the winter leagues, so why not be able to start it in 1888 or 1963 with the right clubs in the leagues and the valid rules that year.

There is also already the ability to start the game with randomly generated players, so choosing a historical start would mean, that you get no real players, only newgens. The players could then use the in game editor to edit the world into a shape they want it to be. So the game wouldn't be a historical replica. You'd just start from a season of your choice and the game would then run on as ordinary Football Manager does.

What SI would need to research for this database would be:

- rule changes
-  promotions / relegations (so that the real teams would be playable at real dates)
- Club founding years (obviously clubs in this game can't fold)
- Political events (new countries, treaties etc)
- Competition rule changes

The player would then have the choice to select or deselect these features. If they deselect political events, for instance, wars and stuff won't interfere and you can still play with Soviet Union or Yugoslavia in the 2000's. Or if rule changes would be deselected and the game started in the late 1980's, defenders could still backpass in the 2000's. ETC.

This would probably be difficult to implement, too, but would surely clear a lot of licencing issues if I'm correct.

Any thoughts on this?

• 1 year later...

Archived