Gretna - Living The Dream......again?

Dan BHTFC

460GretnaChrisClarkPA.jpg

"I'm living the dream I always wanted, it doesn't get any better than this...."

Those were the lyrics for Gretna in their F.A Cup Final song, 2 years later the dream ended when the club were liquidated. Out of the ashes came Gretna 2008 who were accepted into the East of Scotland League. In 2013 Gretna joined the newly formed Lowland League, not only was it for the best teams in the area, it was a pathway into the Scottish Professional Football League, the promised land which had been just a dream for many clubs.

This career starts in the 2014/15 season, the Highland and Lowland Leagues have become activated through a edited database. My aim, take Gretna back into the Scottish Leagues and see what happens!

I am 'borrowing' SRL88's layout as I think it's clean and gives you the info you need.

1lr9.png

Gretna FC 2008 - Scottish Lowland League - June/July 2014

Friendlies

fgp7.png

The friendlies didn't really surprise me, we had a tough set and there were quite a few players just joining or who were on trial. The only one that disappointed me was the Queen of the South result, they are one of our closest rivals and getting a hammering like that hurt, let's hope we can get revenge one day! The win against Gateshead was good, they are doing well in the Skrill Premier so to go there and win is brilliant.

1lr9.png

Gretna FC 2008 - Scottish Lowland League - July/August 2014

Scottish Lowland League

4qyk.png

lh21.png

I couldn't have asked for a better start to the season, 3 win from 3. The first game at Edinburgh was tough on paper, they had some good players but we battled to keep ahead of them. Our first home game saw Dalbeattie Star visit Raydale Park, the game was easier than the result looks but we couldn't score more than 3 goals. Next up was a trip to Threave, a close game saw us edge it out but they could've had a late penalty but the referee didn't give it.

Scottish Cup

pnrc.png

Dalbeattie visited us again but this time we made sure we beat them easily, we had more possession and more shots on goal, the dominance showed and onto the next round we go.

1lr9.png

Gretna FC 2008 - Scottish Lowland League - September 2014

Scottish Lowland League

9ps0.png

ha27.png

One win, one draw and one defeat, a mixed month of results. Gala Fairydean Rovers, I think they will be moving up the table at some point, they pushed us all the way and then we play Stirling University, a small club with big ambitions just like us, one of the smallest crowds probably ever to watch us and we get hammered right from the start, I wasn't happy with any of my players. Whitehill Welfare was a easy game for us, why can't all the teams in this division be like this, the only problem we have is that we can't continue scoring more goals in games, onto October!

Scottish Cup

qcmd.png

Buckie Thistle of the Highland League, probably the toughest tie of the lot. They did dominate but we did enough to maybe shade it but it finished goalless at Raydale Park.

1lr9.png

Gretna FC 2008 - Scottish Lowland League - October 2014

Scottish Lowland League

jufg.png

mj4t.png

This is where points matter and we weren't good enough this month. The win against Spartans was good but we really should've got 4 points from the next 2 games. We are falling behind top spot, unless we see a miracle of results I think we may have to plan for another season in the Lowland.

Scottish Cup

p64m.png

So we got knocked out the Cup, Buckie were a tough opposition and I think we played the best Scottish Non-League side.

1lr9.png

Gretna FC 2008 - Scottish Lowland League - November 2014

Scottish Lowland League

ep0t.png

wy5j.png

So our poor form continues, Stirling University are the best team in this league and it will take something to stop them, all we can do is finish as high as possible and try and tempt some good youngsters to join us. In all 3 games we struggled, we are conceding to many easy goals which we should deal with, we have a good team but they just aren't working together. Our bank balance is slowly getting worse, I might have to give myself a wage cap for any incoming players.

1lr9.png

Gretna FC 2008 - Scottish Lowland League - December 2014

Scottish Lowland League

05sy.png

fstb.png

AWAY vs.Dalbeattie Star

Dalbeattie are struggling near the bottom of the league and we were trying to make our way up the table. Once again we struggled and managed to get a draw against Dalbeattie which we really should be winning, not a happy manager.

HOME vs. Threave Rovers

Another team near the bottom, Threave arrived at Raydale hoping to get something out of our recent bad form but we put on a good display in front of a somewhat small home crowd, I don't blame them really, we have been struggling.

AWAY vs. Gala Fairydean Rovers

A team like us wanting to move up the league, it was always going to be a tough match for us and getting a point is good looking at our recent form. I'm hoping a few signings in January will help add more depth to the squad but Stirling look set to reach the Play-Off place.

1lr9.png

Gretna FC 2008 - Scottish Lowland League - January 2015

Scottish Lowland League

a44e.png

8rt1.png

AWAY vs. Whitehill Welfare

We played well at Whitehill, it was always going to be tough but we managed to get the 3 points, Kevin Finlayson is playing well for a 35 year old, I hope he stays with us over the summer.

AWAY vs. Spartans

Spartans have some great form and look likely to overtake Stirling Uni. From the start it was obvious how it would turn out but it shows what we have to do to become one of the better teams in this division.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gretna FC 2008 - Scottish Lowland League - February 2015

Scottish Lowland League

qg4h.png

6kxq.png

HOME vs. Stirling University

A great draw against the team at the top of the pile, we dominated the game but couldn't add to our goals, something to push on from.

1lr9.png

Gretna FC 2008 - Scottish Lowland League - March/April/May 2015

Scottish Lowland League

07y4.png

5bng.png

A unspectacular end to the season, this has been a learning curve for both me and the players, you have to have a strong defence if you are going to do well and ours wasn't good enough. Expect changes during the summer to the whole squad.

1lr9.png

Gretna FC 2008 - Scottish Lowland League - July/August 2015

Scottish Lowland League

f6m1.png

5jv9.png

The first few games of the season went well. East Kilbride are a good team but we destroyed them, we just attacked from the off, it was the same at Dalbeattie but we could have easily lost the game as we fell asleep at the back but the game against Gala Fairydean was one sided, we dominated possession and deserved the 3 points.

Just found a problem with this database, Vale of Leithen, who finished 5th, played Annan in the Play Off Final, think this career may have to start again shortly!

That bug is due to how the playoff is coded. It takes one random team forward from either the HL or LL (due to them being inactive leagues in default db) to the playoff rather than having 1st HL vs 1st LL then that team plays the 20th from the SPFL2. Looking the default Scottish default nation rules in the advanced editor tab pretty much confirms the same thing.

1lr9.png

Gretna FC 2008 - Scottish Lowland League - September 2015

Scottish Lowland League

95om.png

2w0l.png

We go 6 games unbeaten and are still near the top of the league. We are playing some good football but defensively we are conceding too many silly goals.

Archived