The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

Manchester United F.C is an English football club, and is based at Old Trafford Football Ground, Stretford, Manchester. The club is one of the most successful in the country, having won the FA Premier League/Football League 15 times, FA Cup 11 times, the League Cup twice, the European Cup twice and the UEFA Cup Winners Cup once. The club has had the highest average attendance in English football the past 50 seasons.

The club was formed as Newton Heath (L&YR) F.C. in 1878 as the works team of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway depot at Newton Heath. After nearing bankruptcy in 1902, the club was taken over by J.H. Davies who changed its name to Manchester United. The Old Trafford Football Ground was bombed during the Second World War, leading the club to seek charity from their then-illustrious neighbours Manchester City, who allowed them to play their games at Maine Road for a period. United appointed Sir Matt Busby as manager after the Second World War, and his then-unheard-of policy of producing most of the players through the club's youth team brought great success, with the club winning the Football League in 1956 and 1957. This success was halted by the Munich air disaster of 1958, in which eight of the club's players died. It was thought that the club might fold, but instead went on to win the football league in 1965 and 1967, and the European Cup in 1968.

The club did not see success again until the 1990s and early 2000s when Alex Ferguson guided it to eight league championships in eleven years, most recently in the 2002-3 season. In 1999, Manchester United became the only team to win the UEFA Champions League, FA Premier League and the FA Cup in the same season. The club had been run as a Public Limited Company since 1991, and an attempted takeover by Rupert Murdoch had been blocked by the British Government in 1999, but in 2005 Malcolm Glazer completed a hostile takeover of the club which plunged the club into massive debt as his bid was based on borrowing most of the money.

-------------------------------------------------------

Full name: Manchester United Football Club

Nickname(s): The Red Devils

Founded: 1878, as Newton Heath LYR F.C.

Ground: Old Trafford

Greater Manchester

Capacity: 76,000

Chairman: David Gill (Chief Executive)

Manager: Sir Alex Ferguson

League: FA Premier League

2005-06: Premier League, 2nd

Sponsors: AIG

Honours

(Old) First Division/Premier League[5] titles: 15

1908, 1911, 1952, 1956, 1957, 1965, 1967, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003

(Old) Second Division[6] 2

1936, 1975

FA Cup 11¹

1909, 1948, 1963, 1977, 1983, 1985, 1990, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004

League Cup 2

1992, 2006

UEFA European Cup/Champions' League 2

1967-68, 1998-99

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup 1

Intercontinental Cup 1¹

European Super Cup 1

FA Charity/Community Shield 15¹

1908, 1911, 1952, 1956, 1957, 1965*, 1967*, 1977*, 1983, 1990*, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003 (* joint holders)

BBC Sports Personality of the Year Team Award 2

1968, 1999

Records

Record League Victory: 10-1 v Wolves, Division 1, 15 October 1892

Record Premiership Victory: 9-0 Ipswich Town 4th March 1995

Record Cup Victory: 10-0 v Anderlecht, Champions Cup, Preliminary Round, 26 September 1956

Record away win: 8-1 v Nottingham Forest February 1999

Record League Defeat: 0-7 v Blackburn Rovers, Division 1, 10 April 1926

Record Cup Defeat: 1-7 v Burnley, FA Cup, 1st Round, 13 February 1901

Most Appearances : 754 Bobby Charlton

Most Goals scored : 247 Bobby Charlton

Most League Goals: 199 Bobby Charlton (1956-73)

Most League Goals in a Season: 32 Dennis Viollet, Division 1, 1959-60

Most Goals scored in a Match: 6 George Best v Northampton Town, 7th February 1970

Most Capped Player: 129 Peter Schmeichel - Denmark

Most League Appearances: 606 Bobby Charlton (1956-73)

Record League Attendance: 73,006 v Charlton, Premiership, Old Trafford 7 May 2006

Record 'home' League Attendance: 83,250 v Arsenal, Division 1, Maine Road, 7 January 1948

Record Attendance Old Trafford: 76,962, Wolves v Grimsby Town, FA Cup semi-final, 25 March 1939

Longest unbeaten Run : 45 (All competitions), December 24, 1998 to October 3, 1999

Most League Goals in a season: 103 1956/57, 1958/59

Most points in a season: 92 - 42 games 1993/94

Current squad

As of May 31, 2006

2 DF Gary Neville (captain)

3 DF Patrice Evra

4 DF Gabriel Heinze

5 DF Rio Ferdinand

6 DF Wes Brown

7 MF Cristiano Ronaldo

8 FW Wayne Rooney

9 FW Louis Saha

10 FW Ruud van Nistelrooy

11 MF Ryan Giggs

13 MF Ji-Sung Park

14 MF Alan Smith

15 DF Nemanja Vidić

17 MF Liam Miller

18 MF Paul Scholes

19 GK Edwin van der Sar

20 FW Ole Gunnar Solskjær

22 DF John O'Shea

23 MF Kieran Richardson

24 MF Darren Fletcher

26 DF Phil Bardsley

27 DF Mikael Silvestre

28 DF Gerard Piqué

30 GK Luke Steele

31 MF David Jones

33 MF Chris Eagles

34 DF Paul McShane

38 GK Thomas Heaton

40 FW Sylvan Ebanks-Blake

41 MF Floribert N'Galula

42 FW Giuseppe Rossi

44 DF Adam Eckersley

46 MF Lee Martin

47 DF Jonny Evans

48 MF Kieran Lee

49 MF Ritchie Jones

50 MF Darron Gibson

51 FW Fraizer Campbell

― GK Ben Foster

Transfers

IN:

Sweet F.A.

OUT:

Jonathan Spector - West Ham United - £500,000

David Bellion - Nice - Undisclosed fee

Tommy Lee - Macclesfield Town - Free transfer

Phil Picken - Chesterfield - Free transfer

Markus Neumayr - MSV Duisburg - Free transfer

Mads Timm - Odense BK - Free transfer

Quinton Fortune - Released

Mark Howard - Released

Eddie Johnson - Released

Out on loan

FA Premier League

1 Tim Howard (on loan to Everton)

Belgian Second Division

43 Dong Fangzhuo (on loan to Royal Antwerp)

Souleymane Mamam (on loan to Royal Antwerp)

Brazilian Série A

Rincón (on loan to São Paulo)

Fabio (on loan to Fluminense)

Rafael (on loan to Fluminense)

Main Transfer Speculation/s

IN:

Javier Mascherano / Corinthians / Midfielder / £15m

Armando Petit / Benfica / Midfielder / £5m

Fernando Torres / Atletico Madrid / Striker / £25m

Mahamadou Diarra / Lyon / Midfielder / Extortionate

Michael Carrick / Tottenham / Midfielder / £14m

OUT:

Ruud van Nistelrooy / Everywhere / Striker / Too little

Gerard Piqué / Real Zaragoza / Defender / Loan

2006/2007 Fixtures

Here is a picture I drew

Here is Mourinho when he saw my picture

Enjoy!

Too slow Mark

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

my mates dad said hes bought a mansion in sale too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, says in the article that reps have been sent to find a house.

Can't be arsed doing that 15 point thing but with regards to it's general argument... There has always been the argument support the shirts and leave it at that. However, the last year or so in particular and obviously years prior to that has made it difficult for some reds to ignore the political side.

As far as liking certain players and disliking others, hasn't it always been like that? Just nowadays we don't have as many good players to like?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

so basically Holger Osieck (best name ever btw) reads Teh Sun. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nah Podolski had a far better tournament than Ronaldo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe. but specifically singling out ronaldo from a tournament that has been crammed with cheats is absolutely ridiculous. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah but how many of them were in line for ypott?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Has anyone actually seen enough of Hargreaves other than this World Cup to suggest that he's good enough and not a one game wonder? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was missing for quite a chunck of last season for Bayer Munchen, but did an alright role. Like I mention before I would prefer Mascherano or Gattuso of course....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

with Hamman going to Citeh, that could pave the way for *gulp* Joey f**king Barton to leave. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no fecking way. i'd sooner see you play in midfield tbh.

i'm not kidding, if that c**t signs i'm on the first plane to seth efrica via birmingham to parade your hand written fergie out posters at all the clubs press conferences.

ralphie milne making a comeback >>>> death by ghonorrea >>> syphilis >>> joey "i'm a fecking kernt" barton.

well I think we can scrape by this season in the striking department with sols back and Alan Smith in August if we are desperate.

The midfield we do need at least one player. Scoles and Giggs are still capable of doing the job there for another season at least but if we have to spend big on one player Gattusos the man I think.

Defence is ok but in goal Van der Sar has got this season left in him so someone needs to come in there now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Go-Go:

I really don't get the shock about £10.3 million for a 30 year old player with (some) injury problems, that wants to leave the club and has had a massive row with the manager?

Fantastic player, shame to see him go, but any hopes you had for £15 million were always adventurous, I would have expected £12 million or so, so only £1.7 million away.

Thing is I really can't think of any striker's you can compare him too - Shevvy totally different in that he's probably rated higher, AC didn't want/have to sell him, he got on well with club and manager, Chelsea prices etc, erm AJ a fair bit younger etc.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. I thought Shevchenko openly said he wanted out on account of his English speaking wife?

2. The Chelsea prices obviously have an effect... but in a world where Andy Johnson's £8.5 million and Emile Heskey's £5.5 million, you'd have though you'd be looking at £14 million minimum for Ruud. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. I might be wrong then, but I'm fairly sure the AC/Shevvy situation was a lot more amicable than Man Utd/RVN...

2. Good point, although I would say Wigan often have to pay over the odds (because they can attract very few player's) and AJ's fee was generally seen as above the market - but anyhows, I agree £10.3 million may be slightly low, but I don't think anyone ever really expecited £14 million (unless he'd been happy at the club/ Madrid were desperate to sign him).

Really hope Fergie isn't worrying about a striker - not much point worrying about "what if OGS/Smith/Rossi have to come in upfront due to injuries" when Scholes and Fletcher are THE choice in central midfield...

Really wanted ManUtd to be back to their best this season, and I honestly believe if you'd brought in say Pennant/Yossi [£6 million], Boatang [£2/3 million] and Reo-Coker/Nolan [£10 million] you would have been a stronger team - and £20 million should surely have been within reach considering:

"Summer Budget"

RVN

Jon-Obi

I know Pennant/Reo-Coker/Boatang aren't exactly thrilling signings, but I've just listed player's I think you could have got, that would have wanted to come to your club, and should be within your financial capabilties, whilst still improving the side.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

As I said before, I dont make any personal judgements about players. Rio ifb as far as I'm concerned and care not for his off-field persona, ditto with Richardson.

And also, as I said before, the Richardson hate comes from the fact that he's sh*te.

He's fast and can smack a ball - possibly hitting the target every 5 shots and working the keeper every 10. Aside from that, his passing is awful, the simplest of balls are misplaced, his general footballing brain is poor, often taking the wrong option, and he struggles to have a real impact against ANY team of quality in a competitive game.

West Brom was his level </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sh*te? i disagree tbh, although i think this season i will be able to give my official judgement on him. i think he's a lot better than an eagles or even dare i say it a fletcher in terms of his potential, now is the time to prove it though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

fergie saying that the summer spending definitely isn't finished and it will be a midfielder.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooh where? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i usually only ever check out soccernet and the independent so it's in on one of those two sites. basically an extended version of what timmy howard posted above.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Manchester United Starting XI vs Watford:

Edwin Van Der Sar

John O'Shea

Wesley Brown

Rio Ferdinand

Mikael Silvestre

Cristiano Ronaldo

Michael Carrick

Darren Fletcher

Ryan Giggs

Louis Saha

Ole Solskjaer

Bench:

Tomasz Kuszczak

Patrice Evra

Kieran Richardson

Ji Sung Park

Guiseppe Rossi

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

Who cares, I'd rather Gravesen than van Bommel. He's crap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gravesen is crap yes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

I don't see this as a bad thing tbh. At least this way you will see if the kids you have in your squad are good enough. Jones being a prime example. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All the good ones are out on loan. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true but there are a few.

Tom Heaton iffffffb btw.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

Haha Acou how much t.v do you watch ffs? icon_biggrin.gif I can't remember hardly any quotes from the Office and I only watched it Monday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont watch that much icon_biggrin.gif

But I have probably seen every episode of the Office about 30 times?

And Partridge about half that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah that makes sense, I remember most Family Guy quotes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Righto…

If you’re planning to head back to the M6 after the game then you’ll want to be on the Trafford Park side of the ground. I think that the official car park North 3 does pay on the day…there’s also plenty of unofficial ones on the road from the M60.

When you come up, don’t come off on the 1st junction for the Chester Rd – continue on and come off at the Trafford Centre.

Most of the pubs around the ground will be packed. The Trafford is probably the best bet, but you’ll struggle for food. You might to better to come off the M6 at 19 and stop of somewhere around Mere or Altringham.

You should pop to ‘the wall’ – left hand side towards the bottom of SMB Way and introduce yourself to such modern OTF luminaries as NickOGS and BBB.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I just don't understand why he was sold when someone like Chris Eagles who has played more games for us & has shown to be utterly dire in 90% of them is still playing for us (well out on loan).

Jones did amazingly on loan last season & this season has had 4(?) appearance. Can only assume he wanted first team football & realised he wasn't going to get it this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not even 4 appearances. Just the 2 in the Carling Cup.

Eagles must be 21 now I'd have thought.

• 2 months later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by X-Pac:

Whats it like to be a glory hunter you scum bastards? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of your first posts since returning is to come in here and spout abuse towards us?

Good to see that you're maturing icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

There are no positives here, stop straw clutching. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

here was me thinking we'd gone through to the quarter finals icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Getting through against (no disrespect here, honest) the likes of Reading is not something to get that excited about, tbf.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Celtic message board debating who was better in their prime. Cantona or Larsson? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's utterly hilarious, for the number of comparisons that say Henke was the better team player icon_biggrin.gif. Cantona was the ultimate team player, his biggest talent was his vision in linking the team and bringing others into the play. I've never seen a player before or since better at that.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

boxing day against wigan. knocked in the rebound though, god amongst men that he is </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Loving the location btw icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hate Leeds so SO SO much having gone to uni there, but yeah, it just meant the games had bite and real meaning to them. And it's got to be better than a game against Wigan or something, surely?

I wouldn't label it as 'the best away game', mind. My experience is relatively limited nowadays granted, but having coins and bottles chucked at you as a 13 year old is hardly enjoyable

• 4 weeks later...

Archived