The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i also wouldn't mind lucho gonzalez (porto) as a centre midfield signing. in all honesty mascherano didnt really impress me a great deal in the tournament and i really believe we missed a trick with zokora, he looked class

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

United on a UEFA cup run sounds good to me! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We said that last season, and we didn't even qualify.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rage1999:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

whos the other signing do you think?

please let it be someone world class </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marcos Senna

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

After reading #1. above, I really don't have the heart to break #2. to aliaw. icon_frown.gif

Does someone else want to do it for me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually it's a case of #1 being quite bad, so any bad news from #2 being slightly less important to me.

Unless Rooney's out for the season or our squad has been horrendously depleted for the opening month or two, I reckon I can cope.

(How's that for a set-up line...)

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

I suspect we've approached Bayern, if only to sound them out. I doubt we've officially had talks with Hargreaves, probably more an agent thing which, while dodgy, isn't going to lead to any tapping-up nonsense. Tapping-up basically pretty hard to prove unless you're as stupid as Chelsea and you tap someone up very publicly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not far off the mark from what I have heard.

About the fantasy football, I'm joined up and all that... am I the only one that purposefully doesn't pick United players?

I was tempted to have Neville/Saha but I view it as some sort of curse or jinx sort of thing.

I try not to pick Liverpool or City either... but I must admit to picking Gerrard. (icon_frown.gif)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew K:

Hargreaves on the bench (Bayern says flu) and a tapping up campaign begun on Klose.

Deal imminent? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not even in the squad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

hahahahahaha no bid for hargreaves? icon_biggrin.gif Refused Mascherano? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Signed Kuszazsszzszsk icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Signed Carrick? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

no ambition and total arrogance.

And you lot reckon that red nosed twat can build another title winning team? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Up yours Gonch icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

shut it you.

fergie >>>>>>>>>> keyser

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Teams we can draw in the next round:Barcelona, Inter Milan, PSV, Roma, Real Madrid, Lille, Porto

If we would have finished second it would have been: Bayern Munich, Valencia, Lyon or Milan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For ACou

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Vidic megged again for the goal /o\

Pires777: Go **** out in the match thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was Rio that got megged.

Oh and even if we end up winning the treble this year i have lost all credibility in Fergie. I understand the squad is thin etc etc etc but we need 2 ****ING goals and he sends in O'SHEA??? For what? Why the **** does he send in O'Shea when we need 2 goals. Ffs send Park in for the love of god even if he hasn't alot of match practice, don't send ****ing O'Shea who has absolutely no idea of what attacking play means. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty sure it was Vidic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are talking about the player that was marking Harewood (or whatever he is called) when he passsed it to Reo-Cocker right? That was Rio.

oh and btw I'd disagree entirely with whoever said Scholes was better tha Rooney's because it's harder to hit it standing still from ahigher distance etc.

for me, Scholes' shot was obviously utterly amazing and hitting the bar added to the 'wow factor' ... but Rooney's is still technically superior.

running onto a ball and getting your timing just right whilst adding swerve and hitting it that hard MUCH more difficult than standing waiting for a dropping ball and cracking it towards goal

my best friend and his dad after the chelsea result were bemoaning mourinho for not bringing him a bigger name keeper than Hilario when UEFA allowed them 48 hours to sign a new keeper. Which is fair enough, they have absolutely zero faith in his ability and feel cechs absence coupled with Cuda's is a bigger loss than Terry.

Bless he was trying to say United were only top this season because of Chelseas horrendus "injury crisis", a touch cringeworthy. They also hate Ole, "snide vile little player" apparently haha, wankers. I laughed as Ole has scored 3 times the amount of league goals this season as Sheva.

I dont know why I bothered to post this, but they are hating the fact their money isnt buying them the title this year. haha, mon fergie :*)

Giggs, Ronnie, Richardson, Park, Rooney, Solskjaer. All people who can play on the wing. Don't need another player like that.

You need a Centre Midfielder and possibly a forward, Larsson leaves as the title race hots up, Saha cripples himself again and you're in big trouble.

Bayern are not going to let Hargreaves go unless it's a ridiculous amount because they still need him for the champions league.

Nobody at United will sanction a huge amount because he wouldn't even be eligible for the champions league and Glazer will say "well you're top of the league without him"

Definitely not before Summer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

*Sorry lads unless you are Mika or another thread regular with legal/law academic background/experience please ignore this post since its so far off topic it may as well be in Alaska...*

Okay, so, Mika (since you're the only one I know who does this), THE LAW...if you have any information about how best to approach applying for/gauging the quality of CPE & LPC courses, do's and don't etc. you know what I mean, can you please email me some appropriate links (see profile) as I seek to investigate the drunken claims of what some of my friends think I should do with my post-postgrad life.

Cheers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh Alilaw asked me the exact same thing the other week, as I'm hopefully starting my LPC this year I should be able to help. I'll email something in a bit.

The only time I criticised Ronaldo from what I can remember was around the time of the Benfica game last season when I wanted him to be dropped, and I stand by what I said.

My anti-England obsession naturally meant that I thought he was whiter than white during the summer though icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

If so called 'real' United fans wanted tickets, surely they would be able to get them before Celtic fans from Glasgow/Dublin/wherever could?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would feckin' think so, wouldn't you ?But what do we see ?

Celtic fans and busloads of Irish kids, innit ? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs

The last few months have made me so bitter re: tickets </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you a member of your local supporters branch, Ant ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

I'm pretty much in agreement with Ali about Fletcher. Whilst he has improved massively in the past couple of years into a useful quite good player, he lacks the technical ability that you want from someone playing in the Scholes role. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scholes is almost unique in his abilities as an attacking midfielder, and in practice the only way he was able to continue to play in the way he did was for so long was that Keane was so exceptional at providing the defensive cover, combined with the fact that the other midfielder in the 4 was Beckham, who also covered far more than your traditional winger.

The way Scholes plays now is slightly different, in that he's required to play from a deeper role and to cover more than he did, and even then the extra cover is provided by the fact that Giggs tucks in far more than he ever did (not that he didn't use to chase back) and is less of a winger than he used to be.

If you were to build a team around Scholes now, getting the blend to be able to play the way we did with that original midfield quartet would be almost impossible, so you would be far more likely to play with him at the point of a midfield diamond. However, doing that makes it much harder to play with even one winger, let alone two which i still believe is and should be our aim.

What all that boils down to is the fact that the way i see our midfield shaping up post Scholes doesn't have a like for like replacement for him at all. The way i see it working if it goes according to plan is Hargreaves coming in is effect the Keane replacement. Carrick is the Scholes replacement in as much as his passing is supposed to provide the more attacking side of the balance, even though his positioning is not the same. The fact that you've then got one deep lying but more attacking midfielder, alongside one defensive one in terms of the job he does breaking up the play, but who also has the engine to get from box to box, means that you have more cover for your back four from your midfield.

The upshot of that is that it's the Giggs replacement who is key. What we need there is an out and out winger, who can be left or right as Ronaldo can do both jobs, although left would be better as i feel Ronaldo is more comfortable on the right.

Fletcher fits in as being cover and competition for both central midfield roles, as his allround game gives a reasonable blend with either of the other two mentioned, and Park provides the wide cover.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Milan quartet to play at OT

Marcello Lippi has added seven more players to his already impressive European squad for Tuesday's UEFA celebration match at Old Trafford.

Joining the likes of Ronaldinho, Juninho and Henrik Larsson are AC Milan stars Paolo Maldini, Gennaro Gattuso and Andrea Pirlo, along with Milan's winter recruit, Brazilian World Cup winner Ronaldo.

Roma striker Alessandro Mancini, Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas and Valencia's Portuguese defender Luis Miguel are also included.

Lippi will make a final check on his players’ fitness on Sunday evening and will announce the entire Europe XI squad at a press conference on Monday at the Headquarters of the European Commission in Brussels. ManUtd.com will bring you news of the squad confirmation as soon as we have it.

Over 70,000 tickets have now been sold for the match, proceeds from which will go to The Manchester United Foundation, setting an all-time record for a non-competition match at Old Trafford.

It means only 2,000 tickets remain, as the capacity has been set at 72,000 in order to accommodate two giant screens that will be used during a pre-match entertainment sequence which will feature action and memorable moments from the matches United have played in UEFA competitions since the club’s debut 50 years ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cripple him imo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

Watch out for Fran Merida and Randall and let me know how they do icon14.gif

Feel a little ashamed im not going to this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeh one of my gooner mates is going, been raving about merida and one other random. should be good, hope i can get tickets on the door...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

Don't know if any of you guys have heard but apprently theres going to be no alcohol on sale in Milan from 7 a.m until after the game this wednesday, due to public order offences or something. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was a similar rumour for Roma, too. It was balls.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I'd not want it to be dead little. Kinda reduces the impact.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Story of your life, eh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh no he didn't!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

probably mate. bit unsure because juni reckons that pub is an away pub in the loosest sense of the word, so im not sure if it'll actually be full of united fans. but i might risk it.

you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>ye i am

People on RI mentioned heading there

I'm told United usualy go there aswell

Should be there about 6 or half 6ish </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cool, so will you try and tout it or simply watch it all there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I will see how much the touts want if it's to much as i expect i was thinking about offering the guy at the turnstile £20 to turn a blind eye and let me in as i lost my ticket...

If as i guess i don't get in watch it in the pub leave with 20 mins left head in the open turnstile to join the fun

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Gazz, are you the same Gazz22 that posts on RI? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived