The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

OMG 15 POINTS BEHIND CHELSEA WITH 5 GAMES LEFT TITLE STILL ON LADS!!!11111ONE111

Trump card played. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do we have to remind you of how giddy your lot got whe nyou had games in hand & could have gone clear of us?

I also remember a certain Wigan thread where there was a certai nsmugness when we were losing & someone posted about games in hand & not counting your chickens. We then won that game in the last minute. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So we thought we might be in 2nd place. Super. Giddiness overload there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i remember people saying that it would be better for Liverpool to beat us, because, with games in hand, and form, they had a better chance of catching Chelsea.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, theres a piece about Inter being after Riquelme, and interestingly enough it suggests that he has an 18million Euros release clause.

Now I thought was a bit low for a Spanish team release clause, especially for a key player link Riquelme, and while I think he could work in the Premiership and others don't, if he has got a release clause that roughly equates to £12.5mill would that make a difference to how people would perceive his signing?

Also, an idle thought; Aimar seems to be on his way out of Valencia, if they were willing to do cut price business would any of you be interested? Have him cut in from the left maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Out of those two options? I'll go with 'what' icon_smile.gif

Wouldn't pay any more than £1.5/2m for him and wouldn't give you Rossi either. But then that doesn't necessarily mean Fergie won't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fergie loves his goalies icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't matter tbf, Alves >>>>>>>> Pennant. Pennant iafc.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes he is, but he is still a fb player.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nyte`:

what drug was Senna found to have taken?

ps. didn't know he was Assuncao's cousin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Betametosona and Metilprednisolona </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that where Vidic is from? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

pip was on a stupid amount of money and doing **** all to earn it other than dominating arsenal a few times a year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John O'Shea the new Phil Neville?

I think if we sign Hargs than Carrick/Hargs is the first choice midfield with Scholes being rotated or being used up front. If we get Senna than Carrick/Scholes still probably first choice.

Tevez will soften the blow btwkthxfergiepls?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

eric better stay away from abi titmuss then </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's good advice generally.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Why not just set up a direct debit to Uncle Malcolm icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

now theres an idea hack martins bank account and set up a DD to me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

i think the arsenal ballet was done a while ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep i applied and no luck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You want one, Oli ?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The day Ferguson said he'd had enough

Sir Bobby Robson says he talked Sir Alex Ferguson out of quitting as Man United boss in late November last year.

Daniel Taylor - November 7, 2006 12:22 AM

As Sir Alex Ferguson held court at his 20th anniversary dinner yesterday, regaling his fellow managers with anecdotes about the last two decades, clinking wine glasses and drinking in the stories, the conversation will presumably never have touched upon the time he wondered whether he would ever reach this milestone.

Not the time in 1990 when his job was said to hang on the result of Manchester United's FA Cup tie at Nottingham Forest, nor the occasion when he was supposed to retire in 2002, but a far more recent moment in Ferguson's life when it felt like the world was crashing in on him.

November 28, 2005, to be precise. That was the date Ferguson poured out his heart to Sir Bobby Robson in a candid, emotional admission that he did not know whether he could stay on as manager beyond what was shaping up to be one of his more turbulent seasons in office.

How seriously he meant it may never transpire, but Robson was sufficiently worried to offer his friend words of encouragement and, using the force of his personality, remind him how blank and scary life would be without football.

It is a moment in Ferguson's life that demonstrates that beneath that tough exterior, the impenetrable stare and the frostbitten nose, the 64-year-old is still susceptible, like most men, to periods of vulnerability.

To Ferguson it may have been only a passing phase, a bad day even, but it is clear that the effects of a tumultuous start to the 2005-06 season, Roy Keane's expulsion, Chelsea's dominance and the added pressure of the Glazer family's takeover may have affected him more than many people realise. "He confided in me he was thinking of packing it in," Robson recollects.

Robson's account of that crisp November day begins with him promoting his autobiography at the Ottakar's book store in Wilmslow. There was a steady trickle of customers throughout the day and after several hours of hand-shaking and book-signing, Robson got in his car and headed for one of the town's mock-Tudor estates and the house Ferguson named after the Govan dockyard where his father worked.

When Robson pulled up outside "Fairfields" he expected nothing more than a cup of coffee, some catching up and maybe a quick frame in the tartan-carpeted snooker room. Instead, he was shocked to find the normally jovial and gregarious Ferguson subdued and in need of reassurance.

It was a period of crisis at Old Trafford. United were 10 points behind Chelsea and in the process of being eliminated from the Champions League's opening group stage for the first time in a decade. Ten days earlier Ferguson had made one of the toughest decisions of his professional life, expelling Keane for having gone on MUTV, the club's subscription channel, where he "nailed certain players".

To Ferguson it was an act of betrayal. He was hurt that the supporters seemed to have taken Keane's side. Three weeks or so earlier, in a defeat by Lille at the Stade de France, the supporters had turned on Ferguson and his players. The newspapers were full of crisis headlines and there was growing speculation that the Glazers would not tolerate a December exit from the Champions League.

Ferguson's way is not usually to admit to weakness, but Robson was a good listener. "I was almost angry with him," says the former England manager, almost a year on. "I first demanded to know what the heck he was going to do instead. And secondly, I asked him, having worked so hard to build a great club and a great young team, why would he want to hand it over to someone else and risk it being spoiled."

Robson's mentality is that often employed in the United States: to work for as long as you feel physically fit. He was 66 when he took over at Newcastle United in 1999 and 71 when he left (the oldest manager in Premiership history).

Four months short of his 74th birthday, he now goes by the title of Republic of Ireland's international football consultant, despite having a tumour removed from his brain this year. To Robson, if you have your health you should work, and it was a message he relayed to Ferguson. "I could feel he wanted to carry on and I am just glad he did," he says.

Ferguson will share those sentiments, with United three points clear at the top of the Premiership, playing a thrilling brand of attacking football and firmly on course to reach the Champions League's knockout stage.

"I want to work and I will continue to work," he said last week. As his fellow managers raised a toast to him last night, the events of 12 months ago must have seemed a lifetime ago.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

£30 off ebay, only that much because it's signed though. Can get non-signed ones for £15-ish.

Just reading this on the official site, re: this charity game:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed the United team will be made up of current players, thus ruling out returns for the likes of Roy Keane and Eric Cantona. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fantastic stuff. So the first team will have to play a meaningless friendly in the middle of a run-in that will hopefully see us in contention. What odds on key players picking up injuries that rule them out for crucial games?

If I so much as hear Gill complain about international friendlies again, I will personally destroy him.

• 2 weeks later...

Not awful, just more vulnerable there than from open play, though I guess set pieces are always going to be more level playing field for the technically worse teams and our better defending as a whole might make it look worse than it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Nick can't talk, he had a pie last season at a reserve game icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

at old trafford

DISGRACE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

iirc, you did too, plum </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's ********.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

ahh nice wan

Who the hell is he? Not the same without him.

Also, I'm not one for shirt names but I'm tempted to get the away shirt with "VIDA" on the back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You said in the summer that you wanted a hero to replace Ruud, is Vida that man?

• 1 month later...

Care so little about it this season. I've cared much more in seasons gone by, particularly prior to 2004 when we hadn't really got going in the competition for a few years. But we did well then, and in 2005, and this year just became more and more about the league.

But as for memories of it... well, the 1990 FA Cup final made me fall in love with football. So it'll always be special to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

ahh cool. Me and Burrage are both aspiring lovers icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll get you for this! icon_mad.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

you didn't boot me you cuuunt, i woke up of my own accord, you're such scum </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm yes I did. I was sat on the railing with my feet on the railing of the row below, do you not remember? I thought you deserved a boot in the ribs for being an embarassment to the club.

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Nicolas Anelka has shown his commitment to Bolton Wanderers by forking out over £60,000 to fly 25 members and staff to his wedding ceremony in Morocco.

The moody French striker - known as Le Sulk - is tying the knot in Marrakech on Saturday.

The wedding party includes new boss Sammy Lee, team-mates Gary Speed and Stelios, plus the groundsman, kitman and members of the Reebok's maintenance staff.

Many of the Wanderers squad had to turn down the invitation because of international commitments or pre-booked family hols.

Lee told The Sun: "We all know about this perception of Nicolas as being a loner but since he joined us in August 2006 he has bought into the team ethic and made a lot of friends.

"I cannot fault his attitude. This fantastic gesture shows how much he enjoys being at the club.

"The ceremony will be private but the celebrations will go on for some time - and we're all prepared to do our bit!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so disruptive and a bad influence icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryno:

icon_cool.gif<STRIKE>To think</STRIKE> I voted for Young Jimlad as user of the year <STRIKE>aswell. icon_frown.gif</STRIKE> icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fixed.

And thanks btw, even if I have ruined everything with that little piece of creative writing...

Archived