The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Indaro:

Just a thought for you guys, if Ronaldo does end up getting a load of crap not just from the media and public but especially teammates too, I can see grounds for termination of contract. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am assuming Ronaldo's right to terminate, not Man United's....... i doubt it - either way....

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pago:

so you are looking for a young viera sort of player. ivory coast had a leggy centre mid didnt they?

but then any players who did even half decent at teh WC will have had their values doubled.

maybe an african nation that didnt get to the finals? nigeria, cameroon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah you get my jist. doesnt have to be african tbh. but just not someone expected or that has been good (not amazing) at the WC so they wont cost loads and loads and could turn out as a gem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone like, say, Eric Djemba-Djemba? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hah, just the example I was going to suggest.

Basically oli, I might have trusted Les Kershaw to find someone decent and cheap but I don't expect Martin Ferguson to be so lucky. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah im not saying i have much faith in the scouts either, but i was just asking whether anyoen knew of someone of teh sort. by the looks of it, the only answer really was yaya touré; which answers my initial question with a no

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deanb291186:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Ivan Zamarano

lalalalalala </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ladbrookes icon15.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Be sure to blow your winnings on some new Nike trainers, BBB.

I've not read all of that last 3 pages, so this may have been talked about, but we really do need another midfielder - one that can actually tackle / break-up play.

Guess this points towards a 3 man central midfield? Or Scholes being pushed wide / forward?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blackbag:

I have to agree that he would not be a great signing, but having said that if the Senna deal crashes icon_biggrin.gif, Gravesen might be the next name on Fergie's list. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We need a ball-winning midfielder though, and Gravesen's not that - he's more like an older, balder, Danish-er, less-good version of Carrick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorted if we ever come up against Robinho mind

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

You have to remember, poor Joe has aspergers. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he'll ask for it without gerkin.

fergie blatantly put o'shea in to cover up the fact he's taking team tips from me. keeping evra in would be too obvious BUT I SEE THROUGH THE LIES

mon hargs in and van bommelomelow moving

I ALSO WANT TO HELP OSAMA BIN LADEN IN HIS CRUSADE TO WIN ARSENAL THE TREBLE VIA THE MEDIUM OF DODGY ASIAN PREMIERSHIP INTERNET FEEDS

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

Surprised by the lack of Fletcher. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon13.gif

dfiffffb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs

With a few more f's though icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

Taz with such a brilliant post at the top of page 5 i nthe match thread icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha good spot icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

I'd like to know how much of Rooney's current mini-malaise can be traced back to the rush to get him fit for the world cup.

You know, when all the ingerland knuckle draggers argued that it was nothing to do with us and have no future impact on united. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen to that. I was stupid enough to jump on the Ingerland bandwagon, even called them "us", eurgh, then the ***** do what they so best, forgive me icon_frown.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Summary response to this page.

- Shame about Jones but I've never personally seen too much of him so not that disappointed.

- Parky is brilliant. He will prove so once again when he returns from injury.

- Chris Eagles is almost as crap as Richardson. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris ain't that bad, really. I'd rather see him on the park than KR anyday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He really isn't great. At least in terms of his first team appearances.. he's never seemed at home there. Never for one moment did I see Eagles as a potential long term player for us.

Lee Martin however... icon_cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

Yorke just scored for Sunderland \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get over him leaving [/gonch]

You're not allowed to mention ex-players doing well in this thread apparently icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

more on the brazilians:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Under-17 Brazilian internationals twins Fábio Silva and Rafael Silva will fly to Manchester next July to sigh professional with the Red Devils. Portuguese Manchester United Supporters Club has confirmed that both players will join Paul Mcguinness Under-17 team on July 9th after they complete 18 years old. Manchester United stuck a deal with Brazilian club Fluminense back in 2005, after both players impressed at Nike Cup in Hong Kong. Les Kershaw had agree for United a four years partnership with Fluminense like the ones already made with Sporting Lisbon in Portugal or Royal Antwerp in Belgium. Portuguese super star Cristiano Ronaldo made is part on the job talking with the twins to join United:

“When we were negotiating, Cristiano Ronaldo phone us saying that Manchester United were a tremendous club and a wonderful place to play footballâ€, Rafael reply to Brazilian newspaper. Fábio (Left Back) and Rafael (Left Right) has already visit Carrington Training Center last year where they join a training session together with Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo: “We were there to be familiar with the club and we made part of a friendly match. We play with Rooney and Ronaldo. It was a friendly game with five professionals for one side and another five amateurs for another. They were very kind with usâ€, Fábio replies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T!mbo:

John O'Shea to play up front icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ul Theis

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red&white army:

why the feck does Friedel always have a blinder against us?? He's not even that good tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>iirc he is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was under the impression he's qg too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

for those wondering rossi is looking fb against inter atm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since i cant watch the match a full report after its finished on how he did during the game would be much appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed! Also if there's any stats on how he's performed this season in Italy then that would be muchly appreciated too icon14.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I think the thing i've noticed most about him this season has been that his first touch has been consistently heavier than i ever remember it, and it's probably not only one of his biggest but also his most important asset. So even in games where he's done his good things, there's been far more moments where he's lost control, and far less where a sublime first touch has led to one of his pieces of magic.

everton summed up his season for me. Some good chances spoiled by heavy touches, especially when he should have been clean through, but still kept composure and kept trying to play when it mattered. I wonder if he was trying too hard to impress at his old club, and if that's generally been his problem, that he's been trying too hard to rediscover his form, rather than almost letting it happen?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

Just heard on Sky Sports Sews that there's going to be no segregation between united and chelsea fans at the F.A. cup final, that should make it a little more 'interesting'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its just the Club Wembley seats, not the whole stadium

I've already said that I'd welcome a move for Nani so if the story has legs then icon14.gif

Bale, even if he is as talented as has been reported (I've not seen him play once sadly), doesn't seem like a priority for me unless we wrangle a deal for Berbatov in a Cash+Saha+we sign Bale then send him on loan to you for 2 seasons or something-deal. Richards I've already stated is not worth the premium we'd have to pay and I'm honestly not convinced about the hype surrounding him yet.

I'm with Mark on the Hargreaves is the right player at the wrong price side of things. Fergie may say that getting top players costs but surely we have to draw the line somewhere. In saying that, while I think £20mill is far to much, £13-14mill I could probably deal with. The link to Sidwell is a very poor alternative for me, I don't think he's top drawer at all. No thanks.

As for the defenders, Evans and Simpson seem likely candidates for another year out on loan, and if Keano is happy to take them for his Prem debut season then I think that helps Sunderland, the players and us.

IMO O'Shea isn't going to be sold for another season at least although he will go eventually. As for Gabby, Silv and Brown, I can see why, especially if Bale comes in that the first two would be likely to go, but I actually think that Silvestre, especially with his current injury could be a more likely candidate to stay. Him being out of action, not really involved regularly with first team duties, a waning rep, but not devoid of quality puts him in the situation where it’d be hard for the club to find a willing buyer without convincing the player that he should go as well as dropping the asking price to the point where we may as well give him away. Depending on defensive recruits a loan away seems more likely if he is to exit but I wouldn’t count against him being here at the end of the transfer window.

Gabby is marketable and desired by plenty of teams, hell as well as the Juve links, Barca have been looking around for a LB and although they are seemingly targeting Abidal, its not like Heinze would be a poor alternative. He's coming into the last year of his contract isn't he? Or am I remembering some bad info from a while ago?

The Wes situation is difficult to call because if there's an injury to GNev again it’s more likely to be JOS that steps in, and in the situation where we need a CB to step in its going to be a Fergie judgement call on who’s better suited for the opposition out of him, Gabby and Silv, even if he is the most natural CB out of the three. Then there’s the fact that Pique might come back. It seems to be getting to the point where we either sell him or bring him right into the fold and if Fergie does rate him then Wes is the primary candidate to go for me, primarily because he is sellable to plenty of candidates outside of the top four with status and ambition.

Finally, I agree that we need a “hole†CM as James put it and a RB but they can wait to be addressed for another 12 months. I think that Giggs and Scholes will probably share that duty if we sign Hargreaves or another CM. However, I do agree with the assertion that a winger and a striker should be higher up the list than a CM. I think the defeat against Milan was more a combination of 90% of our players not being mentally ready to take on the game itself, our first choice defence either being sidelined through injury, suspension or involved through necessity when clearly not match fit rather than the lack of a dedicated DM. I’m not saying that it wouldn’t have helped but if Fletch and Carrick had acted as a proper shield instead of being 3 steps behind Seedorf and Kaka it then tactically there wouldn’t have been as much of a problem. At the end of the day it was the mental thing for me primarily, we weren’t collectively ready for the game and Milan rolled us over because their quality and experience and desire meant that they were.

Just pressed refresh while I was typing that last part and I think "wmgs" is the appropriate term.

Oh and as far as the squad goes, Richardson out obviously.

• 3 weeks later...

right, last call for votes lads:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight lads, season over, moping after saturday mostly over, time for our annual awards SPECTACULAR

you all (mostly) know the drill - categories are below, please try and vote in all categories and by all means give reasons. once you've deliberated, cogitated, masticated etc, email your votes to unitedawards2007@gmail.com, making sure your OTF username is present in the email somewhere, preferably in the subject line. voting will be provisionally open until the weekend, but if we can get everyone's votes in sooner then all the better.

United Thread Player of the Year:

Young Player of the Year:

Reserve Player of the Year:

Worst Player of the Year:

Most Improved Player:

Most Disappointing Player:

Favourite Player/Cult Hero:

Best Team Performance:

Best Individual Performance:

Worst Team Performance:

Favourite Moment:

Worst Moment:

Biggest Disappointment:

Funniest Moment:

Goal of the Season:

Favourite Game:

Best Decision:

Worst Decision:

Best Chant/Song:

Best Away Fans:

Worst Away Fans:

Best Away Trip:

3 Players to Sign:

3 Players to Go:

Most Looking Forward to Next Year:

United Thread User of the Year:

United Thread Worst User:

United Thread Most Improved User:

Opposition fan we don't really mind contributing that much:

Opposition fan about as welcome as Kieran Richardson in a starting XI:

few clarifications:

* young player is for those aged 21 and under and CAN include those out on loan

* worst player is for the outright worst player, whereas most disappointing player is for the player who has fallen below his usual standards.

* worst moment is for an individual moment in time that was particularly awful (a late goal conceded etc), biggest disappointment is more general.

* best/worst decision can be interpreted as you wish - a managerial decision, a club decision, a refereeing decision etc

* 3 players to sign = the three players you'd most like us to bring in. realism is desirable. 3 players to go is obviously the three you want to see shipped out.

***right, this is lurching dangerously close to shambles territory i'll admit, but some awards business:

a few people have voted for players out on loan in the young player category. in hindsight this should have been allowed from the start really, my bad. obviously i'm sure people have voted for someone when they may have otherwise voted for a loanee, so if you want to change your vote, fling me an email at the awards address and i'll change it (unitedawards2007@gmail.com)

while you're at it, i really like gonch's idea of 'favourite player/cult hero' so if you want to email a vote in that category either on it's own or with the young player amendment, that'd rule. and anyone voting from now on should tack this award on (i'll add it on next time i re-post the voting form)

the OTFUTAC would like to apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for your tolerance of such f**kwittery.***

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if anyone wants to just add their cult hero to their earlier votes (or change their young player vote to a loanee) and cba to email then just say it in here and i'll add them.

Archived