The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

No I got that wrong, they have cancleed the "press trip" icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">United have cancelled the press trip on the pre-season tour to South Africa due to "lack of interest". That's the club line. The reality is different.

Papers are boycotting it in protest to last year's fiasco when they paid thousands of pounds to go to the Far East only for SAF to sit there snarling for two weeks, refusing to speak to them or allow the journalists to talk to any of the players. The crime of the papers? Printing the truth about an argument with Roy Keane - which SAF denied had ever happened.

There are other factors though. Interest in the tour is limited because there has been football overkill with the World Cup, United are no longer the draw we were, nor have the club made any new signings and the the club are sending weakened side to South Africa. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

link

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

I've heard Hargreaves deal is on, possibly for Thursday... £10m. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where might you have heard this? i suppose it makes sense with him being around OT for the friendly

No. Player Name Total Points

1 Eric Cantona 189

2 Roy Keane 152

3 Paul Scholes 104

4 Ryan Giggs 89

=4 Ole Solskjaer 89

6 Peter Schmeichel 79

7 Mark Hughes 69

8 Bryan Robson 66

9 Ruud Van Nistelrooy 49

10 Andrei Kanchelskis 38

=10 Lee Sharpe 38

12 Steve Bruce 25

13 Gary Neville 21

14 David Beckham 20

15 Andrew Cole 18

=15 Gabriel Heinze 18

=15 Gary Pallister 18

18 Brian McClair 16

19 Jaap Stam 14

=19 Gordon Strachan 14

21 Mikael Silvestre 11

22 Steve Coppell 9

23 Rio Ferdinand 8

=23 Dennis Irwin 8

25 Paul McGrath 7

26 Nicky Butt 6

=26 Norman Whiteside 6

28 Paul Ince 5

=28 Cristiano Ronaldo 5

30 Duncan Edwards 4

=30 Ronny Johnsen 4

32 Philip Neville 2

33 Jordi Cruyff 1

=33 Remi Moses 1

=33 Alan Smith 1

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

I thought them going to West Ham was a **** take. icon_frown.gif

Juni's always saying how good ice hockey is. I might start following that instead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it used to be times like this when i could fall back on my trusty afl, but my team's in 14th place in that /o\

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing whether that electronic board outside the Fernhurst still says 'welcome to Man United fans' when we rock up there next season...

serves them right for charging £2.50 a can tbf. inspired decision to drink all those cans in the car beforehand really

i've eaten so many pies i think my belly may burst icon_frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

Guess we could tempt Denis Irwin out of retirement. And Clayton Blackmore, just to be sure. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arthur Albiston please.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

don't wanna say too much because of spoilers, but - IT'S ON! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I might have to make an apology as regarding that icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

How many people have been to the wall now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ali fits in nicely icon_cool.gif

For one , he doesn't look like a paedophile which is a good start. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm never coming to the wall again. I'm taking the 2.50 profit and being done with it. My dastardly plan has come to full fruition.

I think general consensus on the whole 'Carrick as Scholes' hypothesis is that he won't be as forward thinking / lying as the ginger prince, but will act as a deep lying playmaker with a more energetic central midfielder alongside him (Hargreaves / AN Other). This way we'll probably have Giggs / our Giggs replacement performing a much more attacking, wide role, not tucking in as much as Ryan has this season.

• SI Staff

Acou are you from down in kent or thereabouts? I've always suffered from struggling to get tickets but Invicta Reds have been great for me so far, £65 for a ticket and coach travel, practically guaranteed with 6 weeks notice. All you need is a oneunited membership number. I've got Lille and Blackburn tickets for next month through them

here

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> With attention turning back to the race for the Premiership title, Jose Mourinho has taken a swipe at Manchester United - claiming they are lucky to be nine points clear of Chelsea.

"They go to Fulham and it looks like they deserve to lose and they win," the Chelsea manager said. "They play in Tottenham, it's 0-0 and Cristiano [Ronaldo] dives, they get a penalty and after that they win 4-0. It looks like everything is on their side, but that's football."

The good fortune, Mourinho said, has even extended to the Champions League, and last week's game against Lille which was settled by Ryan Giggs' hotly disputed free-kick. Mourinho said: "This is a season in which they've had no injuries and every player is fine to play."

Mourinho said he did not watch United's game at Fulham last Saturday as he was travelling to Cardiff for the Carling Cup final, but added: "The information I have is that it was completely undeserved. But football is about this. Sometimes you don't deserve it and you win. It's a game that they could lose and in the end they win it."

Indeed, United, who have 10 games left, could be 12 points ahead of Chelsea if they win at Liverpool in Saturday's lunchtime kick-off, before the champions visit Portsmouth in that evening's fixture.

"We've had one less match than United," Mourinho said. "We have to try to go back to six points. What we have to do is keep going and see if the next step is to close the gap or open the gap. If it's to open the gap then it's very, very difficult. If it's to close the gap and go from six to four, then everything is possible."

After back-to-back League titles with Chelsea, which followed on from the same feat with Porto, Mourinho is facing the prospect of not winning a domestic championship for the first time in five years.

The chances of Chelsea prevailing may also be affected by the fixture calendar. If either they, or United, reach the FA Cup semi-finals, the League match between the two at Stamford Bridge will be moved from 15 April to the last midweek of the season. The fear at Chelsea is that United's lead may be unassailable by then.

However, despite his complaint at United's fortune, Mourinho admitted he had enjoyed his share of luck in the last few years. He added: "My first season here, no injuries, and I remember we had five consecutive matches where we scored in the first minute of the game, and it's over."

* French side Lille will appeal against Uefa's decision to allow Giggs' goal to stand in last week's controversial Champions League tie, it was announced yesterday. Uefa, the European governing body, will consider the appeal on Friday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye mate, not like you's got lucky earlier in the season against Wigan/Reading and the ilk so gtf, nice to know we're getting to you icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in case you missed it

• 2 weeks later...

oh and my post about taking my dad on the tour and the tour guide agreeing that richardson is dire made it into RI icon_biggrin.gif

so annoyed, not with the performance but the fact the chippy didn't have my usual chicken and mushroom pie icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

ive thought fergie was done with kieron before, like in the southend game this season when he was disgusting again. yet still, this twat has played 10 league games for us this season which is just insane. wont hold my breath that we dont continue to see him time and time again. makes me angry like no other player ever has, not even silvestre. not good for my health at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you go out in town, he goes in sugar lounge iirc, go and glass him in the face?

• 2 weeks later...

Thing is 4,000 @£35 is okay but the next price band up is £60 (£25 more). It isn't like 2 of the price bands are cheap & 2 expensive.

£60 is steep, so of the 25,000 tickets 21,000 are overpriced.

The Champions league final which was held at OT was only £50 a ticket.

I know it's the first final & the tickets will sell simply because it's United & we always sell out our tickets but it just shows that until people take a stand fans will continue to be shafted.

Would have been fun to see the attendance had it been a Watford v Blackburn final. I doubt the tickets would have been so pricey then.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

I wanted Liverpool to win on Tuesday just so we could stuff them in Athens but quoting Martin that night he 'wants chelsea to win for the good of football' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

careful what you bloody wish for eh? icon_mad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Nick, are you going on monday, or are you scared the jinx will continue? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

monday? you've lost me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jonah at Wembley? Some fan you are icon_rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SLO_Fila:

Wonder if Park will get any more games icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

definitely will. JSP icon_cool.gif

Funny how everybody nowadays is the "next" big thing.

We should make a list of these.

Nani NEXT Ronaldo

Anderson NEXT Ronaldino

Shay Brady NEXT Rooney

João Moutinho NEXT Scholes

Giggs NEXT George Best

Kieran richardson NEXT to go

Lian Miller NEXT Roy Keane

Bently NEXT Beckham

Archived