The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw2255:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by player_65:

Mascherano was absolutely fantastic in that Argie game, sign him for christ's sake.

On Argentina aswell, what have people thought of Gaby's performances? I know some think he'd go well at centre-half and he's been playing as one in a back four during the World Cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gaby did well in the group games, but made a few mistakes yesterday.

Id be happy to put him in CB with Rio and have Evra at left back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree:

1st game - played well, but probably running on adrenaline(sp?)

2nd game - not tested really was he?

3rd game - didn't play

4th game - looked like a guy who wasn't up to match speed despite a full recovery period.

Even in the first two games, depite how Heinze played its got to be said that Ayala (despite his age) has played really well so far for the Argies so any deficiencies that Gabby might have had were masked before last night, the only real test they've had so far. Against the Dutch I've got to say that I was impressed by Gabby Milito as well.

For me its still Rio > Wes > Viddy > Gabby > Silvestre at CB with Pique an unknown quantity still, whilst at LB its still Gabby > Silvestre > Evra.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hola Mancs,

Do you not think selling RVN and Ronaldo could be a good thing? If you could raise about £30-£40m for the two of them, couldn't you add about £20m to that for a bumper £60m shopping spree?

You could improve your midfield, buy decent replacements for both RVN and Ronnie (Although you do have Saha and Rossi up front to partner Rooney, Saha doing really well last season). Could be a breath of fresh air? Plus if you did keep both, what would it do to team morale? And wouldn't it effect Ronaldo's game getting abused at every ground he goes to (because he will)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I cant remember if they were similar scenarios, I know Stam peed him off, but was he dropped at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't it because of his book. Called Phil Neville a kunt iirc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by snipersdream:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Nobby Stiles and Paddy Crerand to own our midfield when we play a 2006 team vs '67 european cup winning team charity match. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best user award hereby revoked automatically. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

By the way, a footnote to the Rooney/Scholes bans:

Ade Akinbiyi was sent off at the weekend playing for Sheffield United away at Sparta Rotterdam. The incident was included in the match report by the referee, but then not sent on to the FA by the Dutch FA. Is it any wonder we feel a bit hard done by and that there's one rule for us and one for the rest? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has there been any word on us putting any appeal together in response. We'd have a pretty good case for leniency in this instance I'd have thought. Not that it'd matter a jot to the F.A. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have appealed. Both players were given automatic three-game bans once the FA recieved the report from Holland last week, and we appealed then. This news of them getting confirmed bans is as a result of the failed appeal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saved me a trip. Cheers Nick. Up to speed now I think.

I'd still be angry but with the signing of Hargreaves imminent I'm no longer concerned about anything & I'm contemplating a glorious CL win as we speak.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Press speculation in Italy is linking Manchester United with a renewed bid for Juventus striker David Trezeguet.

Reports claim the French striker's agents have met with officials from the Premiership club to discuss a possible move to Old Trafford.

United are still on the lookout for a striker to replace Ruud van Nistelrooy, who joined Real Madrid earlier in the summer.

However, with just four days to go before the transfer window closes, Sir Alex Ferguson was thought to have turned his attentions to bringing another midfielder to the club.

Trezeguet has been constantly linked with a move away from Juventus during the summer following their relegation to Serie B because of their part in the match-fixing scandal.

But the 28-year-old was expected to remain at the Stadio Delle Alpi after insisting he was happy at the club.

French champions Lyon are another side ready to make a fresh bid for the French striker.

The Ligue 1 outfit have money to spend after the sale of Mahamadou Diarra to Real Madrid and are thought to be readying an increased bid for Trezeguet.

Meanwhile, Trezeguet will miss Sunday's Coppa Italia match against Napoli because of injury. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really, what would be the point? Saha's better.

Maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

So Chicken/Stuffing barm count

Spurs - Jules

Arsenal - Eddie

touting ifb icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You want chicken or feckin' pork, mister ? Make yer mind up, eh ? icon_wink.gif

Coming up on a coach for Arsenal. It's cheaper than buying diesel. (Holiday in October to pay for)

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr Nice:

guys, what was the away support like?

when they came up here they were possibly the best away support i've ever seen at Celtic park, beating a very loud Basle by a mile... great banter in the pubs too icon14.gif

sounds like they were singing the same songs as they sang at us icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, there were pretty awesome. Certainly the best away fans we've had at OT for a while.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The former Sporting Lisbon player even hinted that he enjoys being cast as the player everyone loves to hate.

"Do I intend to stay for many, many years? Yes, unless the club doesn't want me," said Ronaldo.

"It's true that people criticise me for anything I do. They love that.

"But since the World Cup all I have done is my best. I play my best and try and do the best for my team.

"Am I bothered about what people say? No.

"I try and do what I do best - play football and do my best for the team.

"If I suffer a foul I get up and carry on.

"I don't care whether I'm criticised." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ronnie <3

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gazz22:

We won 3-0 in the youth cup. Brandy scored two and Cathcart scored the other. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Southampton or Stockport at home in the next round, mid-January. hopefully at OT

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

I don't care if we have Larsson. You don't see me going to Madrid to watch Ruud. Maybe that way people who actually want to watch united more than once may actually get a ticket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs icon_biggrin.gif

but nah seriously. go away Celtic fans.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Nick - what did Bennett do wrong? The only thing I could see wrong with him was booking Ronnie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i would say not giving Henry his penalty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

simply hate the people outside the ground after the game I overheard saying "we should ask for our money back"

get a sense of perspective you f**king idiots </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fecking daytrippers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

I just want them all to lose, Liverpool because they're Liverpool, the other two because I don't want a London team winning it. Blatantly going to happen though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep icon_frown.gif

I am united in pessimism with you Mika. Still think we've got a decent shot at the league, mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SO you're another of Keyser's internet children then?

• 1 month later...

nah, JOS has been at right-back and Wes in the middle. Rio's been carrying the defence really, none of the others have looked particularly convincing.

question for everyone, shamelessly stolen from the RN forum - if you could have one of the long-term absentees back immediately, ready for tomorrow's game and guaranteed to be fit for the entire run-in (Nev, Vidic, Park, Saha was included on RN presumably because of the 'guaranteed' to be fit stipulation), who would you choose and why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhm... so how long is Park out for? (i haven't read anything on his injury).

I'd have Vidic btw.

We have done without Saha for half a season (albeit 3 months we had Henke to help) and we have been doing good without Nev too. Since we lost Vidic we seem to have hit a terrible low.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

And what Nick said about Evra. The fact that he's been available for the bench for the last couple of games worries me that there's something in the rumour that he's fit, but isn't playing because he's fallen out with Fergie. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm not buying that rumour myself. he picked up the injury against Liverpool, was missing for a few games, back on the bench vs Bolton and then missing again until saturday. don't think that suggests anything other than he wasn't really ready when stuck on the bench for the Bolton game (or that he aggravated the knock in the immediate aftermath). i know Fergie's stubborn but if he's been fit all this time, he'd have surely gone to Rome considering we only had four other fit defenders. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd forgotten he wasn't in Rome tbh. He certainly needs to be starting sooner rather than later.

So given he starts soon, what would your back 4 be? When he's in, you've got to drop one of Gabby, Wes and O'Shea, and while O'Shea's the weakest player of the three, he's probably the better option attacking wise from RB.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by player_65:

rading a piece on Soccernet, the bloke at the game last night was labelling the 4-2-3-1 as our 'most potent formation' on recent showings

Are we to hail its return in the hope of 2002-2003 run in style football with Smith-Ronaldo, Giggs & Rooney in place of a striker-Ole, Scholes& Giggs from 4 years ago as a Carlos Q tactical masterstroke? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's form and confidence more than tactics that is the key at the minute. We've railed against that same formation on many occasions this season when being stuck on the left has neutralised Rooney, and Giggs in the middle has played deeper and deeper to make it a 4-3-3.

48 euro aways? jings </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I wrote the letter but it’s ‘from’ the old man. They’re both thinking ‘50 and out’ for Athens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ah, bless the good old super soaraway Sun :*)

they're not necessarily wrong, but they're blowing it out of all proportion. this was always going to be the case - Anderson doesn't meet the defined WP requirements so the first application was always going to be rejected. United will have fully expected that, this won't be any kind of shock. they'll appeal and try to get a WP under exemptions sometimes granted for exceptionally talented young players (like how Chelsea got one for John Obi Mikel when he'd only played a few international games).

Archived