The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Alliaw: Are you trying to say this is all Carlos Q's fault? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everything is Carlos's fault. Negative tactics - Carlos. Lack of new signings - Carlos. That grey kit against Southampton - Carlos, I'm sure of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carlos rang Glazer and suggested he buy the club. He was also the one who told Rio to go home instead of staying for the drugs test, who was really shouting the insults at Cantona at Selhurst Park, who told Fergie to buy Ralph Milne, Atkinson to sell Sparky when we were 10 points clear in '86, who was secretly knocking off the Physio's wife and blamed it on Tommy Docherty, and worst of all he suggested which shampoo Wilf McGuiness should use that made his hair fall out.

Oh, and his dad was flying the german bomber that bombed Old Trafford.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

As we're likley to be on page 100 before the first kick of a Premiership ball, is there any chance of this becoming the Offical Pre-Season thread considering how poor and bitchy it's been so far? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quit whinging yourself. It's been a **** pre-season, hence a **** thread so far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Manchester United thread 2006/07 - Sponsored by being in the title race until mid August.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

balague reckons that villareal will announce theyve accepted a bid of between £6-8m over the weekend.

COME THE **** ON. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would Senna + Carrick be your first choice central pairing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah i think it would be. the fact we would be able to actually argue about who should be starting in the centre makes me slightly moist in all honesty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Phew, thought it was broken. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think that they'd have let him walk down the steps if it were broken icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They can magically tell if without an x-ray? Not all fractures go fully through the bone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">its non senseica </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It certainly is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my l button is temperamental at best, dammit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

my manager never ever getting any more tickets from me.

twat sang YNWA when he went to Anfailed last week </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gahahahahahahaha </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gahahahahahahaa

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by byebecks:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimmymc:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaine:

I've seen Desperado in 42s before and Joshua Brooks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Desperado is indeed the king of beers.

So wheres 42s and Joshua Brooks?

Anyone care to start a desperado watch in the uk thread? Got hooked on it in prague. But Ive only seen it in two places in the uk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If 42s is what people call 42nd street over here then it's down by walkabout, just off Quay Street. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is that where they play Indie music??

if so been there and it was ****

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

have you ready the rob brady FCUM book? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's the other one i was thinking of, meant to be a good'un.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

Official site Franny.

It's scary Eddie, btw do you mind us calling you Eddie rather than Gerry? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll answer to both, mate. Makes no odds to me.

To quote a phrase an old soldier once used, "You can call me whatever you like, as long as it's not late for dinner."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Larsson debut against Villa

Sir Alex Ferguson expects Henrik Larsson to make his Manchester United debut in the FA Cup against Aston Villa.

The veteran striker is joining United on loan in January, but will not be eligible for the New Year's Day encounter with Newcastle United.

His first appearance for the club is likely to come in the third-round tie with Villa on January 7, when he will come up against his former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill.

"We are happy and delighted we've got Henrik," said Ferguson at a news conference on Sky Sports News.

"I would think he'll be playing his first game against Aston Villa, and his old manager Martin O'Neill, on January 7th in the FA Cup tie.

"He has had to do it before, playing for Barcelona against Celtic, so it's not as if it's an unusual one for him. Nonetheless, it will be an interesting day for us."

Larsson is training with United this week ahead of arriving for his two-and-a-half month stint from Helsingborgs.

The Swede's signing took many by surprise and Ferguson revealed even his own players were caught on the hop.

"I think it has done that, I don't think there is any question of that," replied Ferguson when asked if Larsson's signing had created a buzz.

"When I announced it a few players came up to me and said that was a good one, and they were surprised at the suddenness of it and the secrecy of it.

"I think there's a general warm feeling in the dressing room about it and he has come at a good time in the championship race." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

FFS 11/4 favourites according to SSN... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've explained it in the other thread. Using less than 500 words too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The post in the other thread may have been useful but was the second condescending sentence above really necessary?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

The Times/Finktank rates our chances of securing another Treble.

Its really quite brief but there are a couple of interesting stats in there I thought... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye, I read it and thought it talked quite a bit of sense. Even if it did rate our chances of the treble too highly imo. Especially interesting to see how awesomely it rates Vidic icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah 10% or so does seem overly optimistic but I suppose in the grand scheme of things with us being in 3 competitions still and with other factors taken into account as established in the article I can see how its about that level.

& I'd like to see the breakdown of how they establish how influential each of our players have been just to see how far ahead Vidic is!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

On the fast track to becoming one of the greatest of all time

By Gary Lineker, Sunday Telegraph

There is something everyone who values the creative potential of football should do. Next time you get the chance to watch Manchester United in the flesh, get there early and get as close to pitchside as possible. Then watch Cristiano Ronaldo do his warm-up. It is breathtaking.

There are few players who I would watch going through the paces of their pre-match routine. But Ronaldo is not any old player: it is captivating to watch him work his way through his repertoire of tricks, flicks and skills. What is amazing is the speed at which he does it all. It's as if he needs the warm-up to get all his components calibrated for the superhuman feats that await. Watching him this season I've witnessed acts of manipulation of a football that verge on the physically impossible.

Ronaldo is still young at 22, but I believe that if he continues on this trajectory of development, he could become one of the greatest players ever. He has been unbelievable this season: he has turned from an exciting but flawed performer into a player who is impossible to defend against. He was accused in the past of being addicted to the step-over; now every decision he makes is the right one.

To put it bluntly, he has absolutely everything. His technique is remarkable, a truly sublime talent, but allied to that is an extraordinary ability to operate at high speed. He does not seem to slow up when he receives the ball and can perform his array of tricks at full sprint.

Then there's his shooting: he hits the ball with such power that the ball distorts and swerves in the air. How many goalkeepers have we seen rooted to their line as the ball defies physics as it swerves into the net.

Oh, and he can shoot with both feet, giving full-backs a headache about which way to steer him.

That's not it though. Despite being a tricky winger he is brilliant in the air, with a fantastic spring. And as Mark Hughes pointed out the other day, people don't always realise how big he is. He is tall and powerfully built -- he's like Thierry Henry in that way, being the complete package in terms of physique. And he doesn't even have the good grace to be ugly!

No wonder he smiles all the time. I would if I had that much talent. He clearly enjoys his football and plays with a real enthusiasm. What's more he wants to entertain and gets a rush from the crowd responding to his actions on the field.

There is the one black mark that people hold against him: the allegations of diving. Yes, in the past he tended to throw himself down to the turf at every opportunity and that behaviour was certainly in evidence at the World Cup in Germany. However, as I have consistently argued in this column, a large element of that is cultural. I have played in Spain, it is part of their game and nobody makes a fuss about it. Ronaldo must be taken aback every time there is a furore over this issue.

To be fair to him, he has changed his game remarkably in this respect. It is very hard when a player has gained a reputation, but even the most one-eyed of fans must concede he has improved an awful lot. The accusations flying around after the FA Cup quarter-final with Middlesbrough were nonsense. He was moving at high speed in the box and a bad challenge came in. Yes, he doesn't do everything in his power to avoid the challenge, but then why should he? A dive? No way.

Ronaldo gets fouled as often as all exciting attacking players do, but how often do you see him getting into rucks or remonstrating with referees? He simply picks himself up and gets going again. Every time he gets whacked, he brushes himself down and goes again.

So what is his secret? Well he is obviously blessed with great natural gifts, but there is also his work-rate. On the pitch you can see it in the way he tracks back and gives the formation shape, and in the number of selfless runs he makes to create space for his team-mates. Again, go back to the warm-up, much of what seems spontaneous is the fruit of some hard labour. We should encourage the kids in this country to approach the art of dribbling the way Ronaldo does.

As a youngster coming through the academy at Sporting Lisbon he never had it easy. He is from Madeira and had an accent that marked him out as different from his colleagues. Being a teenager away from his family from a young age is a tough experience many footballers have to endure, but Ronaldo had the further problem that a growth spurt made him vulnerable to injury.

The Sporting Lisbon coaching staff had to protect him from playing too much as his bones grew which must have been desperately frustrating for a player who enjoys being on the pitch so much.

It is that background that has helped him develop a mental toughness that marks him out from the pack. He does not shrink from big games, whether it is in club football or for Portugal. You can guarantee when a tough penalty needs taking that Ronaldo will stand up and be counted. Even when pressure has mounted him off the pitch, such as the aftermath to the "winking" affair at the World Cup when Wayne Rooney was sent off, he has dealt with it in dignified fashion. He keeps his mouth shut and lets his football do the talking.

The only player to get close to him this season has been Didier Drogba. Any other season and the Chelsea striker would surely have won the player of the year award. He has scored spectacular goal after spectacular goal, but he still doesn't quite have the impact of Ronaldo.

That could be the story of the season: the Portuguese winger has given United the edge over Chelsea. I have lost count of the games where his individual brilliance has been the difference.

So, as the Premiership draws its collective breath over the international weekend, Sir Alex Ferguson must be hoping that nothing happens to his prize asset. The aggressive rhetoric of the Belgium players who have threatened to hurt Ronaldo has been disappointing, but I wouldn't be too worried -- they're not quick enough to catch him.

Anyway, with the way the rules have been changed, players like Ronaldo are now given decent protection. I remember Diego Maradona getting lumps kicked out of him. When James Morrison tried something like that for Middlesbrough in the FA Cup replay last week, he was sent off.

I just hope he stays fit for the run-in because there are some big games in store. United travel to Stamford Bridge in the Premiership in an absolutely compelling fixture. Add to that the strong possibility of those two meeting again in the FA Cup final and it begins to look like an exciting climax to a fine season. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that it could also be a United-Chelsea final in the Champions League.

What a fantastic stage that would be for Ronaldo to demonstrate that he is becoming one of the great players of our time.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

regardless of how this season ends, its been one of the best i can remember in terms of entertainment. some of the games have been different class for excitement.

course when we win **** all i will claim i would have preferred to play chelsea football but for now ill feel a bit smug about our cavalier style icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ha, whs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nistelrooy_uk_10:

well the tone of youe post suggests that you're extremely unhappy with the squad. Just pointing out that we haven't done all that bad this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh far from it, we've obviously exceeded expectations, just disagreeing with the comment that this result could be chalked up to 'one of those days' when we've clearly a history of not performing away in Europe, one year aside.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived