The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

marks right. What i dont like about CQ is the football we were playing at a time when he was supposed to wield a lot of power over the way we played.

I do remember when we first got him though and won the title, i thought he was great and was delighted when we got him back from Madrid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What evidence do you have that he wielded any power at all though? Media speculation?

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

was he ******* and holding a picture of a man u youth player? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was hard to tell. I could make out muffled cries of the name 'Cedric' though icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

sell ferdinand tbh. you've got cover for him, he'll still generate a pile of cash and you might be able to basically finance an entire new midfield. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See THIS is why I said it's rare for me to agree with Daaaave in the other thread

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Technically we should have about £40 million ( 12 from Mikel, 10 for Ruud plus this seasons 25 mill budget) to spend this year but it is quite obvious we have nowhere near that.

I have given up all hope of signing anyone decent. If we sign any outfield player I will be surprised. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good maths jonny... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said 'about' $40 million. Shouldn't you be drinking an alcopop or something you southern fairy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Christ, Rob Lee on SSN - "yeah, I expect some big signings from United, after all the Glazers have freed up plenty of money for Sir Alex recently"

SO HELP ME GOD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>it's going to take the closing of the window and us signing no-one for some of these clowns to realise we've GOT NO MONEY and even then people will be sucked in by the PR sh*t about not enough time etc. spouted by Fergie/Gill/Queiroz etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phatty2003:

Come one Please!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's not going to announce he's leaving at an Atletico press conference.

It'll be to confirm that he's staying.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

Teletext said Real were planning an announcement about 6pm regarding Ruud. Has anyone else heard something similar?

Are people expecting us to have to wait until the Ruud deal is done and dusted before we officially unveil Carrick or is there an expected time of announcement floating about? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SSN have reported that Real are having a press conference at 6 with Ruud. It will be shown on Sky aswell. I wouldn't be suprised if Utd reveal Carrick the same time as Real show Ruud off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by moonie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

Rossi's great. Momo's rubbish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's just a matter of opinion really. momo's isn't the most talented player in terms of ball handling and distribution, but he's a great talent in breaking up attacks.

saying momo's rubbish is just plain stupid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's really not - he IS rubbish.

what's the fecking point of being able to break up attacks or be a ball winner if ten seconds later you're going to get caught in possession or give it straight back?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Guess icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really ? icon_biggrin.gif

Ok

James07, BBB, pass, pass, NickOGS ?

I have no idea, tbf. icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1/5 icon_biggrin.gif

James07 is correct.

BBB isn't on the photo, Nick is but wrong person icon_biggrin.gif

And foobs doesn't leave the house etc.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

The problem with Rossi was apparent against Fulham, 5-1 and cruising, great time to bring him on, but he had 3 strikers ahead of him and didn't even make the bench.

And that's even before Smith returned. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Saha and Solskjaer won't stay fit for ever, Rooney won't be available for every game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's also arguable that Chelsea are more focused on the CL too, the motivation factor is significant I agree and we look more hungry for it than we have in a good while.

A question Juni posed on MSN the other day for you now, which United player do you most fear being injured? I answered Scholes fwiw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's him or Ronaldo, certainly. I'd go for Ronaldo more because i'd slightly favour a midfield of

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Ronaldo Carrick Giggs Park </pre>

over

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Park Carrick Scholes Giggs </pre>

With the former even giving us the option we've all talked about for a while of Rooney coming into midfield in the middle were that to be deemed neccessary, especially given his finishing at the minute. Allied to that, there's more likelihood (although it's all relative) of us getting a central midfielder than a wide player in the transfer window.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

also happened very close to the release date of the blue kit, pure coincidence I'm sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the blue kit so awesome, the silver lettering :*)

Veron's chip :*)

Man I loved that season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

i think my 'attacking football that may leave us trophyless' > 'dull football that wins trophies' view is probably largely because my generation has been so ridiculously spoilt in terms of trophies. doubtless if i were a liverpool fan (ergh) things would be a bit different.

well, if they had any kind of tradition for playing good football ofc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the problem with that whole debate is that the implication of the two given options is that it's easier to win playing negative football. Yet if you look at the league winners since the premiership started (football started in '92 \o/), and you very crudely split the winners into teams that wanted to win by scoring more than the opposition, and teams that wanted to win by conceding less (I know it doesn't make sense, but you get my point) then i'd take United and Arsenal in camp one, and Chelsea and Blackburn in camp two. I believe that makes it 11-3 to the attacking teams. Even if you think we skew the stats, it's 3 each just putting Arsenal up against the other 2.

Boyle to get arrested again then

knew the prices were extortionate, didn't realise quite how much more they were charging us than others or how much they'd gone up in a couple of years. about time that lot got relegated methinks.

i'm off to flashmob harrods

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

id honestly risk them both. vidic can only be a fitness issue, little danger of him aggravating a dodgy shoulder. rio hasnt been out that long for fitness to be a big issue.

hopefully get 90 minutes under their belts then throw them into the derby against 'not scored in the league at home since new years day' city.

• 2 weeks later...

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight lads, season over, moping after saturday mostly over, time for our annual awards SPECTACULAR

you all (mostly) know the drill - categories are below, please try and vote in all categories and by all means give reasons. once you've deliberated, cogitated, masticated etc, email your votes to unitedawards2007@gmail.com, making sure your OTF username is present in the email somewhere, preferably in the subject line. voting will be provisionally open until the weekend, but if we can get everyone's votes in sooner then all the better.

United Thread Player of the Year:

Young Player of the Year:

Reserve Player of the Year:

Worst Player of the Year:

Most Improved Player:

Most Disappointing Player:

Best Team Performance:

Best Individual Performance:

Worst Team Performance:

Favourite Moment:

Worst Moment:

Biggest Disappointment:

Funniest Moment:

Goal of the Season:

Favourite Game:

Best Decision:

Worst Decision:

Best Chant/Song:

Best Away Fans:

Worst Away Fans:

Best Away Trip:

3 Players to Sign:

3 Players to Go:

Most Looking Forward to Next Year:

United Thread User of the Year:

United Thread Worst User:

United Thread Most Improved User:

Opposition fan we don't really mind contributing that much:

Opposition fan about as welcome as Kieran Richardson in a starting XI:

few clarifications:

* young player is for those aged 21 and under (for the first time in years it won't be ronaldo vs rooney) and is for players who have been at the club this season (i.e. no loanees, sorry Taz).

* worst player is for the outright worst player, whereas most disappointing player is for the player who has fallen below his usual standards.

* worst moment is for an individual moment in time that was particularly awful (a late goal conceded etc), biggest disappointment is more general.

* best/worst decision can be interpreted as you wish - a managerial decision, a club decision, a refereeing decision etc

* 3 players to sign = the three players you'd most like us to bring in. realism is desirable. 3 players to go is obviously the three you want to see shipped out.

right, that's it. go vote

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Foster

Neville Rio Vidic Evra

Hargreaves Carrick

Anderson

Ronaldo Nani

Rooney

</pre>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Average Age: 24

icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We dropping Scholesy now?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">where is Rincon now? and why has he turned united down </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Inter Milan, was on loan at Empoli last season.

Apparently years ago when the deal went down it was up to Rincon when the time came if he wanted to move or not, and when the time cam he didn't want to move to Portugal

Archived