The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EmmYouEffSee:

How much cash have we even got to spend?

And if were aparently spending £14m on Carrick....how the hell are we going to get any others? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'd imagine any deal for Torres means Ruud leaving.

So you're looking at £10m or so for Ruud (hopefully more, need him to hit form in the WC really), the £12m Mikel money and then it comes down to how much you think the Glazers are going to make available. £20m's maybe a realistic-ish guess but we just don't know

Anyway, that's about £40m, if we're lucky someone might snap up Mickey/Kieran/JOS and give us another £5-7m to spend on top of that.

Would rather spend £25m on Mascherano than Torres, but if Ruud goes we need a striker to replace him without a doubt.

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

our first midwife was scarey, she had a beard.

She went off with stress shortly after meeting us icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well sarah's still in therapy after the anal beads in the restaurant incident icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Every time you post I think there's a speck of dust on the side of my monitor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahaha i've just tried picking it off icon_biggrin.gificon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rcjuk:

vidic's not injured? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was a quote in the last couple of days saying he and Heinze weren't going to Amsterdam because they were recovering from injury i think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There you go, from halfway up the last page. Blame Acou if it's not true

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Gabriel Heinze and Nemanja Vidic will also miss the trip as they are recovering from injuries. However, new signing Michael Carrick is expected to make his debut in one of the matches after completing his £14million move this week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

nick has a stetson iirc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You two been playing dressing up games again?

I'm not saying it hasn't been a good start but I think we're all just pleased that we're taking apart teams that we should be taking apart anyway.

Lets just make sure that we make it 3 wins out of 3 against Watford and then look at how we deal with Spurs before pushing the giddy button too much.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mika says anything it was deffinately a cross. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said that to Keith earlier. Mikale clearly slips and the ball flys into the far corner. Even Zamora's goal was more deliberate tahn Mikael's.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey ho, what a load of ********.

Was more dissapointed with the lack of chances that we made then our overall performance today. Thought Evra did well again especially a menacing challenge that set up an opportunity for Ronnie to fire straight at Lehman. Also thought Fletcher had another good game (and on the right hand side too icon_eek.gif) although had to put up with some idiot next to me slagging him off at every attempt , until I told him to shut the **** up! thought we missed Giggs one hell of a lot, today we seemed to lack real width and Ronaldo kept drifting inside (as did Fletch) leaving our full backs exposed. Thought Rooney looked very out of it really, didn't seem his usual self and his usually impecabile first touch was not there today and played too many aimless balls. Scholes again showing why he's a class above everyone else in the team again.

Onto a more negative note, John O'shea when the **** is Ferguson going to realise that this player is not fit enough to wear the united shirt? Today he was utterly, utterly woeful, don't think I can remember him putting two passes together and yet again just like last saturday he let the man he's marking SO much room to pass/shoot/run it's untrue, please please please Ferguson just get rid of this useless 6ft 5 sack of Peter Kay look alike **** our of our team.

Also thought Rio was a big improvement on Wednesday night's performance (although still not brilliant) , but Wes I don't know whats wrong with him but he just seems to be lacking confidence for some reason (also thought he could of marked Adebayor better for their goal).

But hand on heart Arsenal deserved the points , neither team was wondeful to watch today, but Wenger got his gameplan working to perfection and we didn't look like winning from the first whistle.

One good/bad thing to come from today, finally got to visit the now legendary wall, and got to meet some of you guys. Cheers for the beer Mart icon14.gif

Anyway MoM: Scholes

2nd: Fletcher

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

This is where I feel the likes of Carrick and Fletcher, with their predisposition to be more self-sacrificing for the team, are/would be better options in this hypothetical.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

& on the off-chance you decide to take issue with this its not just their respective attitudes but their defensive capabilities as players that mean that I see them being more suitable in this hypothetical.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Did anyone spot the wingers, KR and Fletch? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ole and Richardson.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rammyramram:

So what we getting in this Jones lad guys? Weren't sure we needed another midfielder really, would rather have the aforementioned Barnes in the team than Jones. But I'll see what you all have to say before judging. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Barnes is a wide player isn't he? Jones is a central midfielder, fairly box to box but definitely more creative than defensive. He's a good passer, scores his fair share of goals (both from long range and late runs into the box), takes a mean freekick and excelled in a high-flying Preston side in the same division last season, so I don't think you'll be disappointed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Carrick's shooting really isnt that bad (as some have alluded to).. its just he rarely gets a chance with the way we're set up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is that bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it isn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Porto easily the worst. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, as my friend said after the game "now we have a small indication of how Bayern felt in 99"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">“It’s a good bit of business for us," added the boss. "He can change games and showed that against Arsenal in the Champions League final. I think he won that game for Barcelona and change things around for them.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bastard Ferguson- just when I thought I'd got over it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was gonna say that. Taking a player on loan, just to get a jibe in at Wengs. The good old days aren't gone yet. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> OLE THRILLED BY LARSSON ARRIVAL

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has revealed the imminent arrival of fellow Scandinavian Henrik Larsson has sent a ripple of anticipation through Manchester United's star-studded dressing room.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson pulled off a major coup on Friday when he confirmed Larsson would be joining the Red Devils at the beginning of next month.

Even though the 35-year-old's 10-week stay is only due to encompass 13 matches, such is Larsson's record at Celtic and, latterly Barcelona, many feel he could have the same kind of impact as Eric Cantona did when he landed at Old Trafford in an equally spectacular deal 14 years ago.

Although some may argue many of the 242 goals Larsson scored in 315 appearances at Celtic came against substandard opposition, no would could counter the belief it was the striker's introduction as a substitute that saw Barcelona snatch the Champions League trophy away from Arsenal in Paris last May.

And Solskjaer confirmed even United's multi-talented squad is excited about the prospect of meeting the new arrival.

"When you hear someone like Henrik is coming in, a buzz goes round the dressing room," he said.

"In terms of outfield players, he must be the best Scandinavian player of the last 10 or 15 years, certainly since Michael Laudrup.

"And, if you look around the world and see the players who are available and are also eligible to play in Europe, there is not likely to be anyone better.

"I am really delighted he is coming and am already looking forward to meeting up with him.

"He proved at Celtic and Barcelona he can handle the pressure of being at a top club with big expectations and he is also used to the British style of play.

"You only have to see the way he came out of international retirement and had such an influence on Sweden to see what he can do and I sure he will come in here and have a good influence on us as well."

Those who decry the level of competition north of the border could easily claim there is no way Larsson will get even close to the astonishing scoring levels of his time with Celtic.

However, that would be to ignore his equally impressive tally of 36 goals in 93 appearances for his country.

Solskjaer certainly has no doubts over Larsson's ability to excel on the Premiership stage, or the ease with which his new team-mate will adapt to the frenetic pace of the English game.

"I see no reason at all why he cannot settle quickly make an impact on the Premiership," he said.

"Everyone can see how many goals he scored for Celtic and the hustle bustle of the game in Scotland is very similar to that in England. He is even used to the weather.

"But he has also done it in Europe and overall, I think he will relish the opportunity of coming to Manchester United at such a late stage in his career."

Larsson's arrival will go some way to easing the doubts over United's depth of strikers.

Louis Saha and Wayne Rooney have been carrying the fight manfully since Solskjaer succumbed to a hamstring injury in the narrow Carling Cup win at Crewe a couple of months ago.

Happily, the long-serving Norwegian, who already has six goals to his credit this term, is almost back to full fitness and could be on the bench for Wednesday's make-or-break Champions League encounter with Benfica at Old Trafford.

And, with Alan Smith continuing to plough through his own personal fitness regime and Giuseppe Rossi due back from his loan spell at Newcastle next month, Solskjaer is optimistic about the future.

"We will have strength in our strikers because Alan is looking much better and Giuseppe is due to come back," he said.

"I am not comparing us with anyone but we are happy with what we have and the knowledge Henrik is coming just gives us even more of a lift."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

oi, nick! now that the game is patched, all i'm waiting on to play it is your data update for united.

where is it? icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nearly done \O/

not going out tonight now, so if i'm not too inebriated post-derby, i might get to finish it off.

• 2 weeks later...

Class, it is often asserted, is permanent, while form may be temporary.

Nonetheless, there are players at every club who, no matter classy, will be hoping to maintain their stellar level of performance for the rest of the campaign. They are the players leading the way for the end-of-season awards at their respective clubs. They are:

Manchester United: Nemanja Vidic

He started the season the subject of debates as to which category of Sir Alex Ferguson's buys he fell into, but Nemanja Vidic has emerged as the most redoubtable and important member of the Manchester United rearguard.

Seemingly chiselled from rock, he is their most dominant defender since Jaap Stam and, as he has the added benefit of making Rio Ferdinand more dependable, invaluable.

Perhaps not since Steve Bruce, too, have United had a centre back capable of making such an impression at set-pieces at either end.

While Cristiano Ronaldo's has been the more ostentatious contribution to United's season, Vidic's may be the most significant.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Only just noticed actually, why does Nev still have the G on his shirt? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

because Phil will be back one day of course

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

win-win when Chelsea beat us and pip you to the title by a point? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'win-win' in that we fully expect Chelsea to take three points from every game they play. At least in this case we get to watch your shower of shyte yet again fail miserably against one of the other big four. Should you miraculously scrape something, it boosts our title chances. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perfect opportunity for Rafa to blood the youngsters imo.

(and also the opinion of JK Galgreefe, who I shamelessly stole the entire gist of that post from) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So small time :*)

Gilberto won't miss the game next week, they'll appeal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

If it seems we arent going to bother using Rossi why dont we ship him down to Sunderland as well? Play him or loan him out Fergie rather than have him doing **** all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ole or rossi on the bench? larsson/saha or rossi on the bench?

I'd prefer us to field our strongest 16 every time rather than attempt to give the lad minutes. I'm sure with injuries he will get a chance but at the moment there are better options.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not trying to have a go at anyone here, but has it been that long since we were in a title race that people have forgotten how they go? There'll be twists, turns and dropped points a plenty between now and the end of the season, for both sides. And i can't believe there's ever been a title race that's been decided by a single result in january.

We can win at WHL and lose the title, and lose there and win it. Anyone putting that much significance on it should go and work for Sky's overhype department.

And i'm also aware that Nick may be fishing, but the general mood has been to swing between Mika thinking we'll be lucky to avoid relegation, to Scatter thinking we've done the treble.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Having to get score updates from SSN is the worst thing ever.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the main commentary on 5Live </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Main commentary = going to other games every other second, drives me mad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better than 'live' stream </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh I don't do streams either, I'll settle for SSN.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red&white army:

Ole wasn't great, but the service to him was poor. he needs the ball putting into the box, but unforntuately Ronaldo had one of those days where he seemed incapable of delivering any quality. at least Ole had the vision to pick out teammates in a better position than him, unlike Saha, who always runs with his head down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It wasn't just about service. There were times when Ole had the ball just outside the box and needed just to skip by a defender but he couldn't do it.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"><pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

FT Norwich C. [1 - 2] Derby County

53' [1 - 0] C. Martin

62' [1 - 1] D. Jones

72' [1 - 2] D. Jones</pre> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so good icon_cool.gif

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

We're going to win the lot.

THE LOT.

We will probably do it the hardest, most nerve wracking way possible (penalties for both cups, gd for the league)

but we are going to win the lot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*reports post for possible hacked account* </div></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_mad.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived