The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> originally posted by mika:

So having established that Fergie virtually never signs players of that age bracket, do you think he'll change that this summer? If so, would you agree with it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but this sort of situation has never arisen before so its kind of a one off. and i would happily sign a 30+player depending on what we need and cost etc. if they can go for 2-3 more years then all the better!

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"A lot of people have been questioning the striker situation but Peter Crouch has emerged," he commented. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Napalm on its way, mate. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.. smells like.......... Watford icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Hell, even if we were only two goals ahead and he pulled one back at the death, I'd be happy for him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's the spirit :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Hell, even if we were only two goals ahead and he pulled one back at the death, I'd be happy for him </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, particularly if Fergie were in charge still.

And yeah to what Taz said, a player of his stature doesn't deserve to be sitting on our bench at this stage of his career so it's great to see him doing well at a good club like Real. I remember Fergie saying the same about Barthez.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

I'm watching The Bill and then Shameless \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shameless ifs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, you'd best not show up at the wall mate.

I was going to come in and say that in the wake of the Larsson signing we probably won't be keeping Rossi at the club after his return from Newcastle (I figured another loan was on the cards), but after he does return and sticks around, Ole will be back soon enough, but now I'm thinking that its actually Smithy who's going to be sacrificed. Any number of clubs would be willing to take a chance on him either on loan or at a cut price £3mill or so I'm guessing. He's not going to get the regular games needed to rehabilitate himself properly to the standards we need him to be at, even with the number of games over the next month, otherwise Fergie would have thrown him into a game like Everton, special recovery programme or not.

And by the way, what the heck is everyone moaning about? I don't give a **** if Larsson is 33, he's a proven international class finisher & a very intelligent forward with the highest standards of professionalism, he's going to be fully fit and ready to play for us from day-1 if we need him to be and in all honesty I'd feel more assured with him on the bench than Rossi (just from an experience standpoint) or Smith (on the basis that he needs the rhythm of regular games to make an impact rather than off the bench) if we needed to change a game.

Does anyone not see the sense in actually not going after a permanent forward line signing in January, even if it is only for 3 months?

1. His qualities, as noted above speak for themselves.

2. He's as capable as Ole at being an effective backup/starting alternative. (Or would any of you prefer Giggs was used up there more often?)

3. Rossi either heads back out on loan with someone who's going to use him or gets more involved with the first team - either way we get a benefit.

4. Smith, after Larsson's 3 month spell is up, may actually be ready physically to cope with the demands we need him to meet in the last 3 and a bit months of the season, at which point, regardless of his being "healed" months ago, the trauma of his injury should have well and truly passed - if it hasn't his future will be much clearer. A January 3 month loan in the Championship (a promotion/playoff chaser ideally) wouldn't be the worst thing for him.

5. As far as I can tell neither Defoe or Bent are seen by anyone here as being useful to the squad on the beyond the basis that they'd be just another body and that neither are going to dislodge Rooney or Saha in the short-medium term, and if either have England ambitions, sitting on the bench with us is a no-no. Thus spending money on them makes little to no sense.

Similarly, our primary continental targets are reportedly Torres & Huntelaar, who on the basis of potential quality could usurp our main finisher (Saha) in the medium and longer term. The former we're going to get slapped in the face with a stupidly big fee for despite his potential vs. form for Atletico, and the latter, despite his reported finishing prowess, has not been scoring this season in the same clinical way he has previously. Is it so wrong for the club to decide not to spend money on either of these players and assess them and other targets a little bit more?

6. Larsson coming in on loan means potentially 1 or 2 midfield signings if the money is there, because we really can't persist with the situation we have at the minute with O'Shea, Richardson, and as funny as it was the other night, Wes even being used there. Fletch and Park I'm happy to have as deputies for our main quartet, but not the others if we are to sustain this challenge for as long as possible. Now I doubt it'll be Hargreaves. His injury and lack of fitness in January, coupled with Bayern needing him back in the middle of the park as much as we do rules that out for me. As to who it could be, I don't know.

Anyway, stop getting down about Larsson, as far as short term signings go we could do a lot worse.

• 3 weeks later...

Reading W

Newcastle W

Villa W

Arsenal D

Watford W

Spurs W

Charlton W

Fulham W

Bolton W

Blackburn W

Pompey W

Sheff Utd W

Boro W

Everton W

Citeh D

West Ham W

Chelsea D

Liverpool D

Points - 96

Chelsea

Fulham W

Villa W

Wigan W

Liverpool D

Blackburn 3

Charlton W

Boro W

Citeh W

Sheff Utd W

Watford W

Spurs W

West Ham W

Newcastle W

Bolton W

Arsenal D

Everton W

Man Utd D

Points - 94

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

the only time we visit the council house this season will be to clinch the title* icon_cool.gif

*not really </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would be worth you winning the title just to see what happens in and outside the ground icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

certainly would. i'd secretly re-mortgage the gf's house to get a ticket for that

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Weststandred:

i've just found out i'm going to be in northern ireland visiting relatives from the 8th-15th of april meaning i'll miss sheff utd at home and i'll probably just get home to watch chelsea away on tv. icon_frown.gif

i'll be so upset if we get chelsea tickets now. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stay out of my country icon_mad.gif

• 2 weeks later...

i know icon_cool.gif Water of a ducks back too kiddo.

Would have been better that weekend if you guys could have come down the night before and we could have gone out and had a few sherberts.

Was happy to keep you company while Nick deserted you to go watch the match inside the stadium.

• 2 weeks later...

i'll return the compliment and say that was easily the best travelling support from boro we've had at OT. admittedly the 'same old man u always cheating' song is rubbish and our fans were rubbish but they were impressively loud tonight.

have to chuckle though, they allowed themselves to get carried away and start singing que sera sera and we immediately won the penalty \O/

• 3 weeks later...

will probably sell my soul for a semi away ticket, tbf.

there are some really cheap flights to milan now if any one wants to book it.

im gonna try and get an offical trip booked as i dont trust getting a ticket through the ballot.

come on letting me get there.

\o/

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

milan james? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've a ticket for the away game, but wont be going. Think Mark's going to be using.

At this rate, I'm not sure I'm going to be making it tomorrow night icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Fergie: Jose jibes below the belt

Sir Alex Ferguson claims Jose Mourinho's latest comments about Cristiano Ronaldo are 'below the belt'.

The Chelsea manager continued his row with the Manchester United winger over the weekend by suggesting Ronaldo was 'immature'.

Mourinho's jibe came after the Portugal international had accused his compatriot of being unable to accept his own failings.

Ferguson is keen to put the matter to bed and does not feel his managerial rival's comments will unsettle Ronaldo.

But the United boss is unhappy that Mourinho sought to bring Ronaldo's education and background into the argument.

"We try to draw a line under it, of course," said Ferguson on Sky Sports News, ahead of The Red Devils' UEFA Champions League semi-final with Milan.

"We've got an important issue tomorrow with the game itself.

"Maybe the tactic is to unsettle the boy, I don't know, but I think he's barking up the wrong tree there.

"I think he was below the belt in bringing class into it. Someone coming from a poor working class does not mean to say you're not educated.

"What Ronaldo has got are principles, that's why he has not responded to it.

"Whereas some people who are educated have no principles, so we're leaving the matter that way." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fergie back on form again icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

and its only going to get worse on wednesday </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What? Come on.. Surely you can see that Milan's going to do the job they should have done two years ago in wednesday?

No chance for the scousers really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

gregg just not as good at this as the pros. go back to fellating elderly ex-squaddies dude </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can’t wait for BOTU to end so I can put him back on my ignore list. He actually believes that I’m never on MSN icon_biggrin.gif

Archived