The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

• Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey G:

wtf are one year season tickets? I didn't really understand that article. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For people who dont get a season ticket but want to be able to ensure they get to go to all home league games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Big Fat Santa:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r_wagner:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r_wagner:

This whole ***** business with us making no signings does make you wonder. If all it takes for a successful football club (or any sport for that matter) to be destroyed is a lunatic millionare to borrow hundreds of millions of pounds so he/she can then land that debt on the club itself then any club is open to this. I do get the feeling that there won't be any signings this year because we simply cannot afford it.

We have gone from the richest and best run football club in the world to a club with astronomical debts in the matter of a couple of years. And the ironic thing is that it's not as if we've spent without regard on players, the debt just sort of 'magically' appeared.

I worry that the ageing and depleted squad we have will not be able to maintain the form necessary to keep the expected revenue coming in and that the club will suffer as a consequence ala Leeds. So... Nationwide One here we come in a couple of years.

I do hope I am wrong about all this, and that this bl**dy press conference will begin soon to announce our 15 new signings icon_biggrin.gif but that's not very realistic. Realistically, ManU's premiership years are soon to be over.

jpshakehead.sml.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

someone really needs to get this deleted before Mika reads it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on, he's clearly a Mika alias... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who is Mika?

I'm just a realistic supporter of a club that used to be the best... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apart from the debt "magically" appearing maybe? I think we all saw that one coming.

I don;t think its too much a case of not being able to afford signings as much as its a case of some players don't want to coem to a club where you know the manager is probably only going to be there for another season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone else feel we missed out on Capello?

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moreclaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20?:

Haha, Moreclaw so desperate for recognition that he's adopted Ratinho's award-winning smugness :*)

Cute </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who's being smug? icon_biggrin.gif I genuinely wanted to know because it seemed pretty random; but nevermind, I should know not to expect a decent reply when you're busy making a hash of things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IT MATTERED

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

And when I say shot down I obviously mean with his lethal predatory striking of the football :*) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naturally icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Carrick Transfer saga: Well as I said yesterday, I ouldnt care less about the fee </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you are joel glazer and I claim my free bovril.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Van Lampard:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ahahaha no </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kuyt is quality and with the right Service he can score loads he wouldnt replace the amounnt of goals ruud scores but he would get 20 easily i feel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's actually not that good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LutonNil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

I don't want anyone at Man Utd who will get in fights with 14 year olds or try and blind players of our youth team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keano? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didnt do any of that?

And anyway Keano was approximately 35040 x 10^50 times better than Barton

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

Definitely none for Fletcher today though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can answer my yes or no too then icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably not. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sounds like a no to me \o/

GIVE FLETCH HIS ASSIST icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by the_cote_kid:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benkeat:

tbf, you're all lunatics. noone knows the full situation behind all this.

i'd bet these MSI fellas offered united machareno but the terms were just completely ridiculous. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

whs basically. The full story is not and probably wont be known for some time. Funny to see the spazzing out though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly how ridiculous could they be? It's not like they could demand part of the club in exchange for their services which appears to be what is happening dow nat West Ham. The most they could have said was we pay their wages & maybe they have to play a certai namount of games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah and what with Fergie planning to use Mascherano as back-up to O'Shea it was never going to be a feasible deal that icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That'll be it. Ferguson realised we don't need another left back at the moment as Heinze, Silvestre, Evra, O'Shea, Richardson, Giggs, McClair, Fred the Red would all be ahead of Mascherano in the pecking order. THAT's why we let him join West Ham.

I really cant see Carrick not starting against Celtic, I think he will offer alot more to the team with Rooney and Scholes both playing, he will be given alot more responsibility and space infront of the back 4 and have more options to pass too.

He seemed like a sound guy btw mart the one with the tickets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coldberg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

Only until the inevitable introduction of Kleberson knocks both of them for six icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kleberson was waaaaaaaaaaay better than DJx2 & I would even say he stands a chacne of being better than O'Shea. At least Kleberson actually had decent games every now & again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jonny in Kleberson defence shocker icon_cool.gif

But you're right, damn Fergie icon_frown.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was flicking through an old league grounds book, in there it said after OT was bombed, there were plans for a 120,000 capacity stadium before they eventually settled on rebuilding the main stand and the rest of the damage, but nothing more. Does anyone know where that was meant to have been? Was it on the same site?

• 4 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has a striker replaced a midfielder in our January transfer priorities then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite, but it's a tricky one. A midfielder like Hargreaves would arguably improve the first XI more than a new striker, but we could arguably cope with an injury to Carrick or Scholes better than we could an injury to Saha at the moment. There's an argument to be made that a striker will give us more game-changing options from the bench (which we desperately needed against Celtic and Chelsea), but with Ole back training, Smith back soonish with any luck and Rossi coming back in January, we could maybe make do.

All irrelevant anyway, we all know the top priority is a left-back.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And if that wasn't bad enough the ****ing massive loans they've attached to the club shows that they are **** businessmen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know I'll get my head bitten off for this but actually that is the normal step for a new business cycle, obviously they've gone to extreme in that aspect which is way too much, and whether it was necessary is questionable.

tbh the Glazers borrowing £600m from Rothschild/Morgan to buy the club is no different than MUST considering to borrow a similar amount from Nomura, but where is the annoyance at that proposal?

I said it at the time, the ideal solution would be a DIC led takeover like what may happen down the East Lancs Road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that isn't the ideal solution at all. and of course the must/nomura thing is different - it may be similar levels of debt but at least they'd have a) some idea how to run the club, and b) some consideration for the supporters

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hairwad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Because funnily enough, the scoreline doesn't always tell the story of the game, and on top of that continually making the same mistake is considered a bad thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really don't see where the mistake is in guiding a team through qualification. Of course if you'de rather have BFR then be my guest! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I completely agree. Football is very much not this black and white art it is made out to be in here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So not as black and white as "we got through, so everything's fine". Do you see?

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind us not spending the £25 million a year if our squad was actually okay at the moment. however we still have a massive Keane shaped hole in the centre of our side & it's obvious the midfield needs investment.

I don't care how much we spend in a year or how little as long as the team actually looks complete.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razor Eddie:

Mika, if we win it, you're not allowed to celebrate. You're banned from celebratory joyfulness. M'Kaay ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Irrelevant because we won't win so that's ok icon_cool.gif

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mika:

Ruud to get 8 goals a game to gain an unlikely win for 2003 clearly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ruud, Scholes and Silvestre ALL ON THE PITCH AT THE SAME TIME!

• 2 weeks later...

anyway yeah - someone create a song for Carrick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe something to the tune of Queen's "A Kind of Magic"?

What a ball by Carrick! Carrick! Carrick! *70,000 doing an air guitar solo*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

what if Liverpool win the CL and Chelsea nick the league... I dont mean to be too pessimistic, but I really do keep thinking these are highly likely scenarios, and it scares me senseless :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just stop thinking, mate. Should solve the problem.

Believe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

For all gartside's talk of Anelka "going nowhere", rumour is they're looking at getting Cisse in as a replacement, possibly on loan, in case he buggers off to a CL team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're trying to get Cisse on the cheap though, which I can't really see the scousers going for given their stated stance towards Marseilles. I'm pretty sure he'll stay there tbh.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They want him on loan, and he wants to leave France either for Spain or to come back to England, according to rumours.

Archived