The Manchester United thread 2006/2007 - featuring BBB leaving early

foobR

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saha:

I feel so bad for Mark icon_frown.gif Ah well, he'll get over it in time for next year's thread.

I just want a decent midfield, Ruud to stay, and for us not to finish fourth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't feel bad for me, foobR needed the kudos of starting the thread. Don't forget, he's got no woman, he can't get a job, he lost the little credibility he had left in here with the Evra debaclé, and now judging from the start of this thread even his comedy powers are waning icon_frown.gif

If starting this thread can get a bit of purpose into an otherwise miserable and meaningless existence, i'm happy to oblige him icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Young Jimlad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by olipepper:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Man Utd eyeing Turkish sensation Sahin

tribalfooball.com - July 09, 2006

Manchester United are eyeing Turkey's 17 year-old midfield sensation Nuri Sahin.

United are being linked with a move for the £6m German-born midfielder at Borussia Dortmund who names Cristiano Ronaldo as his No 1 player.

Sahin is understood to be keen a trying his hand in the Premiership and United's need for a playmaker and goalscorer in midfield could see him as a young heir to Roy Keane.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this kid meant to be the heir to a Roy Keane that played for us?

Because that description is nothing like the one I know... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know i thought that. even so, he's still a class act for 17 years old and also plays for dortmund who are letting their players leave on the cheap due to their debts. maybe he could play alongside the ball winner that should properly be the next roy keane?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Still, i'd rather have Palmer than Sissoko. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd rather Andrea Bocelli than Sissoko.

• 2 weeks later...

And look, we drew two of those icon_wink.gif Nah but seriously, Silvestre played in the other 15 or so games that we played since Evra signed, hardly loads.

We'll see how Evra has fared by the end of the season, but as it stands at the moment he's behind Silvestre for me.

As for O'Shea, just no for me now.

Has Rooney ever scored a header for us? I seem to remember a while back someone saying he hadn't, and i couldn't think of one.

The only one i can ever remember him scoring was that one at Euro 2004, i think against Switzerland.

• 3 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagpuss:

O'Shea>Silvestre

Less defensice frack ups </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You, sir, are correct. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OFC i am correct my username was John O'Shea in thepast

• 2 months later...

Not been posted..?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Chelsea midfielder Mikel Jon Obi has apologised to Blues boss Jose Mourinho to try and heal a rift between the two.

Obi is understood to have angered Mourinho with his poor attitude in training, and met Mourinho with his agent John Shittu.

The 19-year-old has not featured in a Chelsea squad since being sent off in his Premiership debut at Reading.

He reportedly apologised for his behaviour and Shittu assured Mourinho there would be no repeat.

Obi arrived at Chelsea in June in a welter of controversy, after the Blues won a £16m tug-of-war with Manchester United for the talented teenager.

Manchester United believed they had a pre-contract agreement with Obi, who later claimed he had been pressured into signing it, and really wanted to join Chelsea.

606 DEBATE: Your views on Obi's future

An agreement was struck which saw Chelsea agree to pay United £12m for withdrawing their interest, and £4m to Obi's Norwegian club, Lyn Oslo.

Chelsea boss Mourinho hailed Obi as among the best young players in the world when he began training with the Blues in June.

Obi eventually made his Premiership debut for Chelsea at Reading on 14 October, but was sent off for two yellow card offences. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

12m :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> MANCHESTER UNITED V SL BENFICA, Wednesday 6 December, kick off 19:45

All tickets have now been sold, however we strongly recommend that you keep in touch with this site as there is a possibility that a further allocation of tickets could be released for sale on the lead up to the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick won't be too happy.

I remember in testing for FM2007 when we first moved Larson to Helsingborg in the DB some tester managed to get him for some top European side and then we proceded to get loads of bugs on it saying that Larson would never ever leave Helsingborg and we should hard-code it into the game so it's impossible to get him.

icon14.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alilaw:

I think in an effort to cut costs they should make wages strictly performance related. Then Kieran Richardson would owe us a fair bit of money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what this man said

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manchester United's hopes of keeping Henrik Larsson to the end of the season appear doomed to failure after the Swedish striker strongly indicated he could not be persuaded into staying longer. As Larsson prepared for the game here against Lille for his first Champions League tie since winning the final in Paris last season with Barcelona, he said his intention was to return to Helsingborgs when his loan deal expires on March 12.

"I am not saying that I am not flattered or grateful to get the opportunity to extend my stay but there are other things I need to think about," he said, citing family reasons and a sense of duty to Helsingborgs. "The Swedish season starts at the end of March and I need to get back to that. I will stay only until March 12."

Unless Larsson can be persuaded otherwise his only involvement for United in their attempt to re-establish themselves as European football's top club will come tonight against Lille, followed by the return leg on March 7, theoretically his farewell match at Old Trafford. Although Larsson is clearly relishing his time under Sir Alex Ferguson, he says the travel is getting him down and he wants to be back with his family. "I am going back and forward and it's not an ideal situation."

United intend to do everything possible to change his mind but it is noticeable, too, that Ferguson seems increasingly resigned to losing the 35-year-old. When Ferguson was asked about Alan Smith's inability to break into the team he remarked that the former Leeds player would be more prominently involved "when", rather than if, Larsson leaves.

Behind the scenes Ferguson is trying his utmost to persuade Larsson that he can play a significant part in what promises to be a season of rich reward. United have been encouraged by the noises emanating from Helsingborgs, who have said they will consider extending Larsson's loan if they receive a suitable fee. Yet the player insists the decision will not be a financial one. "This is a great adventure for me," he said. "I arrived in January and I'm going home in March to play in Sweden. It suits me perfectly."

Larsson described himself as "happy and surprised" he had started the majority of matches and he made a point of thanking the club for doing everything possible to help him acclimatise to life in Manchester. "I came here to be available, to make the best of the opportunity."

The admiration is mutual and Ferguson would be disappointed to lose such a formidable player. While Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo have struggled at times in Europe, certainly in terms of scoring goals, some of the more memorable performances of Larsson's career have been reserved for the Champions League, most notably when his introduction as substitute turned last season's final against Arsenal.

"To become a great team you need to win trophies," Larsson said when asked about United's chances of glory. "When I look at this squad, they have a lot of talent. They have players who have been there and done it. Then there are the younger guys who really want to make their mark by winning trophies. They have had some great teams before but only the future will tell if the current side can truly be thought of a great team."

Ferguson feels Larsson has improved the other forwards at the club. "He has made a big impact already," Ferguson said. "I'm sure that since he has arrived players like Wayne Rooney and Luis Saha must have been looking at Henrik in terms of his movement and his awareness of space and they will have been watching his finishing in our training sessions. The bonus for us is if he takes us into the later stages of everything we're challenging for. He's been fantastic for us, his professionalism, his attitude, everything he's done has been excellent."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take his passport Fergie icon_mad.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Saha for me. While we've been getting goals from all areas, we've lacked a focal point to the attack. However, more importantly than that, having to start Giggs and Ronaldo up front has left us looking light in midfield, so it kills two birds with one stone.

And what Nick said about Evra. The fact that he's been available for the bench for the last couple of games worries me that there's something in the rumour that he's fit, but isn't playing because he's fallen out with Fergie.

Oh for feck's sake Louis icon_mad.gif

Least Smithy's looked more and more useful recently. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm starting a 'play alan smith more ffs' club. you're all invited.

• 3 weeks later...

Lets hope nev is back for the second leg because i said before the game i dont like Heinze and Brown in the centre. Plus no Evra.

Great game for the neutral but i suspect milan will be the happier team.

I dont understand why we played to contain in the first half, was it because of the early goal or our plan? If we had played the whole game like the second half we could have come away with a nice lead.

Please god dont sit back in the second leg because Kaka will punish us.

Stand out performances. Rooney took his goals well and Ronaldo constant threat.

Scholes was great with his magical passing, the ball for Rooneys first. Carrick grew into the game and did well second half and i was impressed by Fletch.

Giggs assist aside was poor i thought but his set piece delivery is top notch.

This season has been great. Fantastic football and all major trophies competed for to the death.

If someone had said before the season started that with 4 games to go we would be within 3 points of Chelsea let alone 3 in front, in the f.a cup final and taking a lead into the second leg of a CL semi then we would all have laughed it off as an improbable dream.

Sadly having come so close not winning something would take the gloss of everything great about this season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 14AlanSmithifb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

was there also a home kit with the stadium in the background? whens that from? im sh*t at remembering stuff icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

94-96 home shirt , think I may still have mine around here somewhere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>that is my favorite ever shirt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Monty2k:

well done lads, must be an awesome feeling.

ps. cringe at the roy keane stuff elsewhere </div></BLOCKQUOTE>NA NA NA NAAAAAAAAAAAAAA NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA KEANOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LibLibertine:

What about us United fans who rarely post in this thread? Are we still allowed to vote on the awards? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

of course

• 2 weeks later...

Archived